Death Magnetic - MetallicA - 2008

MetallicA84

I've really been into the Death Magnetic Album by MetallicA a lot lately. Definitely like how they've went closer back to their original sound and all compared to their stuff from '91-'06. But, I just really enjoy the album and think it's awesome and a lot of great tunes on it. My fav being "Suicide & Redemption". Just kind of wondered what others might think about the album...love it, hate it, indifferent or whatever. :)

Re: Death Magnetic - MetallicA - 2008 listened to it once then binned it! I really hate how hetfields voice has evolved really gets on my nerves. there was was actually a leak on the net around the time the album was released, and it was basically some fan who was a sound engineer and he cut the tracks up and made them shorter and added a little extra to some of the songs and have to say is made the album sound more appealing.

• 1 month later...

Re: Death Magnetic - MetallicA - 2008

I personally loved this album. Yea' date=' his vocals aren't nearly as strong as they once were, but atleast they're making true heavy metal again. My fav track has to be All Nightmare Long[/quote'] Dude, They're getting older, of course his voice changes. That and all the Alcohol and drugs.

• 1 month later...

Re: Death Magnetic - MetallicA - 2008 Death Magnetic was OK, certainly better then anything else they've done since ...And Justice For All, wish the sound quality was better though, people saying they're getting back to their roots, its a shame that they have to go back there when they should never have left

• 1 year later...
Death Magnetic was OK' date=' certainly better then anything else they've done since ...And Justice For All, wish the sound quality was better though, people saying they're getting back to their roots, its a shame that they have to go back there when they should never have left[/quote'] Agreed. I enjoyed the album, and it was glorious compared to the car crash that was ST Anger! However, what pissed me off more than anything was the Beyond Magnetic EP! It beggars belief that these tracks did not make it on the actual album, and were only removed from the cutting rooms floor so they could release something during their 30 year anniversary shows. Those 4 tracks are probably the highest quality the band has produced in over a decade. This does give me some great hopes for the new Metallica album due later this year, or next......or 2017!!!

After the Load/Reload/St. Anger days, I think Death Magnetic was a breath of fresh air for the band. Overall I consider it one of their best albums, but that might just be the ones it's surrounded by talking. Sure, the production sounds pretty bad, but the quality of the songs is awesome and, personally, I think Hetfield still has a good voice.

one of Metallica's best isn't really a hard list to break into, Magnetic sits fifth behind (in order) Ride The Lightning, Kill 'Em All, ...And Justice For All and Master Of Puppets, I'm so glad when I saw them live they played mostly songs from the first four albums with a couple from Magnetic and a couple from the black album nothing from load/reload/st anger

one of Metallica's best isn't really a hard list to break into' date=' Magnetic sits fifth behind (in order) Ride The Lightning, Kill 'Em All, ...And Justice For All and Master Of Puppets, I'm so glad when I saw them live they played mostly songs from the first four albums with a couple from Magnetic and a couple from the black album nothing from load/reload/st anger[/quote'] I'm blown away by people who thing Death Magnetic is better than the Black album. To me, Death Magnetic was a desperate attempt by the band to try to bring back some technicality to their music, but it just showed that they have completely lost their ability to write decent songs. The Black Album might not have been everyone's favorite sounding album, but the quality of it is miles ahead of Magnetic. My opinion, of course.

I would definitely take Death Magnetic over the Black Album. The Black Album may not be as offensive on my ears as some other albums, but is more offensive to me based on what it meant for metal at the time, and what album itself stood for. That album diluted metal to a palatable, inoffensive substance that could easily be force fed to the masses, and with Bob Rock's help it was the ultimate sell out album. Of course metal survived and went further underground in the 90's, so it didn't hurt anything overall (it may have even made underground metal better), but it spit in the face of metal while simultaneously turning its back on it. Again, I've heard worse sounding albums, but I can think of few that I despise more than the Black Album because of its meaning.

when you combine the bland songs from the black album with what it represents it's no surprise so many of Metallica's fans turned on them for it, Magnetic wasn't a great album, but it represented Metallica trying to recapture their thrash side and that alone means it gets more respect then it really deserves.

I would definitely take Death Magnetic over the Black Album. The Black Album may not be as offensive on my ears as some other albums' date=' but is more offensive to me based on what it meant for metal at the time, and what album itself stood for. That album diluted metal to a palatable, inoffensive substance that could easily be force fed to the masses, and with Bob Rock's help it was the ultimate sell out album. Of course metal survived and went further underground in the 90's, so it didn't hurt anything overall (it may have even made underground metal better), but it spit in the face of metal while simultaneously turning its back on it. Again, I've heard worse sounding albums, but I can think of few that I despise more than the Black Album because of its meaning.[/quote'] I bought the Black album back in 1991 when I was 12 years old. It was the first metal album I had ever thought about listening to... and the only reason I got it was because I heard it was really cool. While listening, I loved the crunchy guitars etc. Fast-forward 6 months and I was completely into metal. I was buying cassettes of tonnes of bands released in the 80s and not tarnished by the evil 90s...... and I still love metal today. Now, do you think I'm the only one who had this experience? Hardly... So I give that album at least a little bit of respect.... for how it opened my eyes at least.

I can't completely slam "gateway" albums, albums that are more mainstream and get people into more authentic metal, but you could count Master of Puppets or ...And Justice For All as mainstream gateway albums. Metallica was already huge before the Black Album, opening for Ozzy (one of the most well known and popular pop/metal acts) while touring for Master of Puppets, their video for One blew up to be massive, the Black Album just brought their name to the attention of soccer moms. Everyone who was into metal knew who they were, and they were already getting people into metal through radio play and opening for big acts, so I have a hard time justifying the Black Album's gateway status. I'm sure it was effective for some, and I know the effect of nostalgia and albums that influenced you when you were younger, but I still can't forgive that slap in the face to metal.

• 1 month later...

To give a fair assessment on an album, I think it's always good to let some time pass. When the album first comes out, the hype and initial impact can fool the listener into giving a wrong judgement. Especially with albums from big bands like Metallica. After 5 years I still think this was a decent album. It seems like Rick Rubin really tried to get these guys to not be afraid to be themselves. It's like: "You're Metallica......what's wrong with sounding like it??!!??". A welcome change was also the fact that the drums didn't sound like Tupperware as in St. Anger. The instrumentral track was also a nice touch, although it dragged on a bit too long. High points: "That was just your life" and "All nightmare long" Low points: "The end of the line"(the riff sounds too LOADy) and "The Unforgiven IIII"(Three??!!??) Overall, not a bad album. But I get the feeling that the majority of this praise comes from the fact that the previous three albums were dreadful :(The Metal Guppy

I generally don't get sucked into the hype for an album. I liked Death Magnetic when it first came out but it got old quickly, I hadn't listened to it for about four years (aside from the tracks they played from the album live in Adelaide in 2010 when I saw them) listened to it on the weekend and I have to say now I think it's pure garbage meanwhile a few weeks back I listened to Megadeth's Endgame from start to finish (after having left it alone for a few months) and I still think it's pretty good

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I must admit that when I first bought this album, I couldn't understand exactly what these guys were trying to get at. But after some time it started growing in me. I think the problem here is expectations. Fans who expected a return to the old school were bitterly disappointed. Overall, a decent album that at least gave some dignity back to Metallica.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I think their every album is good in it's own way (yes, I actually find st. Anger much better than most of other people do). And about Death Magnetic, I'm glad they are going back to their roots. That Was Just Your Life is an amazing opener, The Day That Never Comes is amazing power ballad, All Nightmare Long is just... perfect, I've always loved their instrumentals, and My Apocalypse is pure trash in its original form. Definitely their best work since ...And Justice For All.