Akuji

Your Artwork

2 minutes ago, True Belief said:

She looks weird... smiling? Can't tell...

Not sure this will ever sell.

She? I was trying to paint a dude! Looks like it's back to the drawing board for me...

Incredible to think that while Poison were dragging cats around, Quorthon was under the sign of the black mark. In conclusion, the 80s was a decade of contrast. 

On 2017-5-30 at 7:02 PM, True Belief said:

Alabaster - I'll see your Poison, Twisted Sister & Queensryche and raise you 1 x Madam X, Tuff & Vinnie Vincent Invasion.

2b881144b538700bb59d1db7021cf7c9.jpg

0fa2ed7ab5c9cbf2fe9b7658d6047094.jpg

28dbcfe3acb091f97b98420f7670e43c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't believe what I'm seeing. 

11 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Thank you! :) It's why I'm not posting much, I'm feeling the time pressure with this painting show coming up in a month and a half.

I really like the style and the morbid themes. 

Are hands also a theme or is it just incidental? I've always liked the symbolism of hands. The ambiguity and the dramatic gestures that suggest some deeper meaning. 

11 minutes ago, Vampyrique said:

I really like the style and the morbid themes. 

Are hands also a theme or is it just incidental? I've always liked the symbolism of hands. The ambiguity and the dramatic gestures that suggest some deeper meaning. 

Hands are long-time favorite subjects of mine for that reason. I spend a lot of time on gestures and placement. I love the way they can tell their own story without the need for grand gestures or overwrought facial expressions.

Ambiguity is one of my major goals, at least in my personal work, not so much with the album covers - I have a few ideas I'm trying to express with each of them, but I'd like for people to want to figure things out for themselves. Above all I'm trying to make these paintings feel relatable on a human level, and at the same time symbolic, which is a weird tension that's captured perfectly in some of my favorite medieval and Italian/Northern Renaissance paintings.

Honestly I have a long way to go, and I feel like the last few months' worth of production have finally gotten me to a point I should have been at ten years ago, but I'm grateful for the impetus and the opportunity to get back to this. It's what I went to college for, but I've been busy with music and life and I neglected it for too long.

On 19/09/2017 at 7:17 AM, FatherAlabaster said:

Last one I'll get to finish before the show!

21687160_10209993706309146_3231336348744

I have to say, you're a pretty amazing artist. When I think how hard it is for me to even draw a house or a stick figure or something, this sort of thing awes me. You have a pretty extreme imagination too. 

14 hours ago, Requiem said:

I have to say, you're a pretty amazing artist. When I think how hard it is for me to even draw a house or a stick figure or something, this sort of thing awes me. You have a pretty extreme imagination too. 

Thank you. :) I'm happy that this work is finally coming together. This is what I should have been doing all along, and I'm playing catch-up, but at least my education is no longer going to waste. 

7 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Thank you. :) I'm happy that this work is finally coming together. This is what I should have been doing all along, and I'm playing catch-up, but at least my education is no longer going to waste. 

I may be old fashioned, but I also have a lot of respect for people who can actually paint realistic figures. Most 'artists' these days just do those post-modern splotches and splashes because they can't actually paint. You can actually paint! 

On 9/23/2017 at 2:56 PM, Requiem said:

I may be old fashioned, but I also have a lot of respect for people who can actually paint realistic figures. Most 'artists' these days just do those post-modern splotches and splashes because they can't actually paint. You can actually paint! 

Ha! The idea of being able to actually paint? That's so two hundred years ago. 

These days, it's not really about art; rather, it's about feeling important and unleashing your inner elitist. It's about who you know. Sipping expensive wine and hobnobbing with the wealthy and the superficial. Showing off your ability to see the sophisticated intellect behind seemingly random blotches of ink or the three-dimensional profundity behind a red 2D square. If you walk into an empty room and can only see a plastic spoon resting awkwardly on a blue chair as it is literally displayed, you've only revealed your inner limitations.