Shit Music

KieranC94

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Shit Music

i wont to punch kesha and shot lil wanye with a canon :lol:
I don't really have a preference. I just really want a stout mace whenever I hear any song which talks about sex as another entertaining activity, like texting, Facebook or going to see a movie. It especially drives me nuts when people sing along to some song (like the one I mentioned earlier) without a sense of any shame. These are the songs which are destroying our culture, not songs by Akercocke, Behemoth, Cryptopsy or Deicide. Anyone who listens to these bands KNOWS what they're in for and decides to listen because they want to hear it and they agree with the band. They've thought it out on their own. Pop fans let the music tell them what to think. They find the next thing which provides a great beat and just accept it. :evil:

Re: Shit Music What you're describing is typical of American pop. I'm pretty big fan of electropop from another culture (e.g. not American pop), and the groups I listen to aren't in that vein. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist though; it's just uncommon. However, I vaguely recall seeing an "underground" artist that was a bit suggestive. Underground for a reason, no? Since we're past that, listeners could be singing along with a catchy melody mindlessly. I've seen it plenty of times. Hell, my sister sings along with pop lyrics that I find rather distasteful, and she doesn't think any of it. She isn't letting pop do the thinking for her either. It's just a subconscious thing for her based on a simple melody. In the end, it's largely a superficial form of music produced for the masses (I'm not going to make any generalizations here by saying all). Of course it isn't going to have any depth and meaning. It's going to support what sells and always will: sex. For the record, I loathe American pop, so I'm with you there. But you should chill out, Iceni. You sound like a bitter old man. :D Music will be music, no matter how much you dislike it. (Personally, I think this thread is stupid. I'm not going to rag on music I don't like. It just ain't my taste. Simple as that.)

Re: Shit Music What bothers me the most with pop, isn't the image they're representing, or the horrible lyrics, but the actual music. Not the style (because modern pop elements can be absolutely amazing, like most things, if used in the right way), but the songs. They're horrible monotonous, and restricted by certain boundaries, such as being lyrically based, not having extended instrumentals (or instruments at all, way too often these days), and the three-and-a-half minute length restriction. Also, the theme of the song (usually, the theme consists of five distinct notes or less, it seems to me) being overused without any noticeable changes, and the verse-chorus-verse-chorus. Although if they're really crazy, you might get verse-chorus-verse-chorus-BRIDGE-chorus-chorus. The singer-songwriter scene also annoys me. Lyrically based, played on a guitar in G with possibly a capo on one of the frets. Ta-dah. If I'm raging, I'm terribly sorry. Music is just something very deep and personal to me, and I can't stand most modern pop, with a few exceptions.

Re: Shit Music Hehe, just logged in! Like I said, most pop is very superficial with pretty much no change from song to song. Some people who listen to mainstream music like repetition, little variation, and a familiar sound. Pop provides that. I don't see the reason to be angry about the song structures either as it's a typical pop song structure. *shrugs* Just listen to something else. Pop is like any other mass produced media. People want something that requires little to no focus to listen to, and they often want to hum along with catchy lyrics (Of course you're not going to see extended instrumental sections. Duh.). It's not going to be incredibly deep or complicated, and it isn't going to appeal to all "real" music lovers. Edit: Also, there is nothing wrong with electronic music. Don't you diss that. ;)

Re: Shit Music The thing is... Pop changes. Advanced song structure was pop for quite a while, I mean, look at Pink Floyd, or Queen. Or the classical music eras. Also, advanced song structure can go VERY nicely along with ambience. Just sayin'. Diss electronic music? Why would I do that? Duuude. I'm aiming to be a professional synth player. Of course I won't diss electronic music! :P

Re: Shit Music Nice point on how pop music changes, but many, many songs have had that same simple structure for years. *once again shrugs* There's even metal that uses simple structure. There's really nothing wrong with it because not everyone aims to be overly "progressive" or has a desire to compose a lengthy song with tons of sections and musical directions. Of course, you could make the argument that many pop artists don't write their music, which is very true. On the other hand, some are actually quite talented and write their own material. All it really boils down to is personal musical preference. You like modern pop, you don't like modern pop. *shrugs yet again* But yes, I took an electronic music class in high school, and I was taught any music made for enjoyment was called "pop" music. Music that was made to be broaden a genre by introducing something new or to be innovative was referred to as "art" music. I don't know that I always agreed with that, but it does have a point. I'm glad you like electronic music. I thought you were taking a swipe at it when you said some artists don't even use real instruments. :P You'll have to excuse me on that one.

What you're describing is typical of American pop. I'm pretty big fan of electropop from another culture (e.g. not American pop), and the groups I listen to aren't in that vein. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist though; it's just uncommon. However, I vaguely recall seeing an "underground" artist that was a bit suggestive. Underground for a reason, no? ...In the end, it's largely a superficial form of music produced for the masses (I'm not going to make any generalizations here by saying all). Of course it isn't going to have any depth and meaning. It's going to support what sells and always will: sex. For the record, I loathe American pop, so I'm with you there. But you should chill out, Iceni. You sound like a bitter old man. :D Music will be music, no matter how much you dislike it.
I do think you're right when you say sex sells, but it's not in my nature to ignore that fact. If you planned to paint me a curmudgeon...well, you'd have a great case. I generally view modern American pop as yet another symptom of a philosophically destitute culture. Metal, on the other hand, is not fully partaking of this zeitgeist as it applies to music, and that's one of the many reasons I love it. The bitterness, disillusionment, cynicism and anger in a lot of metal bespeaks a perception about the world that allows me to appreciate a song far more than if it's just got an amazing riff...of course, I've been getting into Nevermore recently and they do both! :mrgreen:

Re: Shit Music Ah yes, Nevermore. A great band. Shame about Loomis and Williams leaving, however. To be completely honest, I'm jealous of you. At the moment, I find myself gravitating toward other forms of music instead of metal. I'm sure the flame will be rekindled at some point in the near future, but for now I'm heavily into electronic-based stuff. Doesn't mean my love for our music is any less though. :P

Nice point on how pop music changes' date=' but many, many songs have had that same simple structure for years. *once again shrugs* There's even metal that uses simple structure. There's really nothing wrong with it because not everyone aims to be overly "progressive" or has a desire to compose a lengthy song with tons of sections and musical directions. Of course, you could make the argument that many pop artists don't write their music, which is very true. On the other hand, some are actually quite talented and write their own material. All it really boils down to is personal musical preference. You like modern pop, you don't like modern pop. *shrugs yet again* [/quote'] Very true. Heck, there's even prog with simple structure! :P And I do see how not everyone would want a very "progressive" piece. My point was really that music doesn't seem to be as much about actual music. As I see it, lyrics aren't the way to communicate emotions, but rather the actual music (as in, the actual notes that are performed in various ways and organized in a system, however complex it may be).

Oh no, my mistake. I see how that could be misinterpreted. It's just that I think they should utilize real instruments instead of imitating them on a computer. Real drums and real bass work along amazingly with programmed music and synthesizers, and possibly enhanced vocals (not to be confused with autotune, which I hate). I think programmed sounds and synths should be taken for what they are instead of ways of imitating instruments so you don't have to be able to play them.
I have actually heard people claim that rap takes talent because you have to download the drum beats and change them to fit the song.Never mind that the whole thing is recorded once the guy actually gets onstage... Yanic Bercier, on the other hand, must play his stuff every time Quo Vadis plays live. And boy, does he play it. :D

• 3 months later...

Re: Shit Music Worst thing about pop music now is how manufactured it all is, things like X factor is killing new music. I don't care for pop music but without change there will be no new music styles of any sort. Pop music creates opposites like Metal, you need one for a reaction against it. As for TV, my TV is for gaming or car shows.

Re: Shit Music I don't hate pop, it just doesn't appeal to me so I don't listen to it, there are people who listen to it so I won't dismiss it as a form of music (unlike the majority of the pop world who view metal as garbage not music) so its not something that anyone should dismiss even if you don't like it

Re: Shit Music There's no such thing as bad music. Music is an artform which, like any other artform, the appeal is purely subjective depending on who is observing it. However, if somebody makes music for shallow reasons such as fame and fortune, it's objective artistic merit decreases. People can and still do like music like this (most of the US, anyway), but buying into someone's banal/uncreative ideas that were probably written by the record label anyhow just so they can get rich is not something I'm willing to do. I buy all of my music, and fully support artists that I like, as I believe in rewarding hard work and genuine creativity, and keep buying in hopes that they will continue their endeavors.

Re: Shit Music I'll do my bit for Sabaton...sure, they do get simplistic, especially on 'Ghost Division', but at the same time they have got other good songs. Their lyrics are also good, and they certainly write memorable songs.

There's no such thing as bad music. However' date=' if somebody makes music for shallow reasons such as fame and fortune, it's objective artistic merit decreases. People can and still do like music like this (most of the US, anyway), but buying into someone's banal/uncreative ideas that were probably written by the record label anyhow just so they can get rich is not something I'm willing to do. I buy all of my music, and fully support artists that I like, as I believe in rewarding hard work and genuine creativity, and keep buying in hopes that they will continue their endeavors.[/quote'] A great deal of popular music isn't creative or well-executed. Not much technicality in most of it. I might be able to stomach R&B if there was more of a technical jazz vibe to it, but alas, there isn't much of that.

Re: Shit Music Technicality has nothing to do with creativity or songwriting, and is not a prerequisite for quality in music. It can often times be a hindrance to the music when the focus is placed on technicality as opposed to crafting the song, when it should simply be used as another tool in a musician's repertoire in order to achieve the direction that the song needs. While I will agree that creativity in pop music is low, it does evolve on the surface fairly quickly due to the repetitive nature of the hooks and unchanging verse chorus verse structure, and when coupled with media saturation and overplaying people get sick of it. They must constantly change the appearance, while not changing any of the banal techniques, structures, or melodies that make pop music what it is. It's made to be consumed rapidly while tricking people into thinking they're getting something different so that the rate of consumption doesn't decrease, and so that no consumers are lost in the mix.

Re: Shit Music plus they have to consider the length of the song, because they're making radio friendly music they have to keep their songs to around four minutes. There is certainly much more freedom in metal from a musical standpoint, in terms of song structure, lyrical content, song length and other areas. When you think about it there are few musical genres besides metal where one is not expected to write songs in a certain way and about certain things, we can write about whatever we want because metal is not a mainstream genre, in pop those artists that do actually write their own songs (and from what I understand there aren't many of them) have to write happy upbeat songs all the time, usually about partying (though I highly doubt any of them could hold a candle to Lemmy of Motorhead, or Dave Mustaine of Megadeth before he got clean). In my opinion pop is more about manufacturing a catchy beat that makes people want to dance then about any substantial meaning, and that is probably why it doesn't appeal to me, because I like lyrics that actually mean something and because I hate dancing.

Re: Shit Music Yeah, we were told by the local metal radio show, "Look, we like your songs, but we can't play them, they're all too long". I was thinking of doing a radio edit so we could get the airtime, and then found out they were going to play Separation Anxiety anyhow. That's our shortest song and it's still over 9 minutes, and I never thought it would get played even on a metal show, but now we've been there and had a couple of our songs played on weekly Internet radio/podcasts too. The point is, we knew from the start we weren't radio friendly and we did what we wanted to anyhow. We wrote what we felt, how we felt it, and didn't give a shit what people would say about it. They do have to fit into a small box to receive mainstream attention and radio play, but they choose to put themselves into that box and tell their record label to tape the fucker shut.

Yeah, we were told by the local metal radio show, "Look, we like your songs, but we can't play them, they're all too long". I was thinking of doing a radio edit so we could get the airtime, and then found out they were going to play Separation Anxiety anyhow. That's our shortest song and it's still over 9 minutes, and I never thought it would get played even on a metal show, but now we've been there and had a couple of our songs played on weekly Internet radio/podcasts too. The point is, we knew from the start we weren't radio friendly and we did what we wanted to anyhow. We wrote what we felt, how we felt it, and didn't give a shit what people would say about it. They do have to fit into a small box to receive mainstream attention and radio play, but they choose to put themselves into that box and tell their record label to tape the fucker shut.
To that end, we've been played on countless podcasts and internet radio shows. I could care less about what the radio says. I'm surprised that radio still exists.