Opeth

mcbeverage101

Not a big fan of the band, but I always remember "Patterns in the Ivy" instrumental from "Blackwater Park". Beautiful, atmospheric track. "Coil" from "Watershed" is also great. "In my Time of Need" is very dreamy and kinda nostalgic, melancholic. For some reason there was a point back in 2011 where I listened "Heritage" for quite some time, I don't know why. I don't know, there are couple of tracks that I really like to listen when I'm in a mood for that kind of atmosphere.

On 1/5/2018 at 2:21 AM, Comprodrigue said:

I am not fan of not clean vocals and such a thing but I like Blackwater Park and Still Life. And beside that I like Damnation. I don´t quite enjoy themes like they have in their songs nor atmosphere because of my personality but one thing is sure-they are fantastic band and unique. They are like death metal Pink Floyd, their progressive is not Symphony X progressive or Dream Theater or Tool progressive, so they are not that much complex in music composition. All in all, excellent band.

Sorry if you've done this already, but you might be well served to listen to 'Morningrise' and 'My Arms Your Hearse'. Not very Pink Floyd, and you might get a sense of their complexity. Those are just fantastic albums and not as streamlined and produced as 'Still Life' and 'Blackwater Park'. 

Sorry if you've done this already, but you might be well served to listen to 'Morningrise' and 'My Arms Your Hearse'. Not very Pink Floyd, and you might get a sense of their complexity. Those are just fantastic albums and not as streamlined and produced as 'Still Life' and 'Blackwater Park'. 
My Arms, Your Hearse is my favorite Opeth album, so I'll second its endorsement. It has some vague progressive tendencies, but is a lot more loose and aggressive sounding than their later efforts. It's just excellent all the way around, When is just about as good as it gets.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, BlutAusNerd said:

My Arms, Your Hearse is my favorite Opeth album, so I'll second its endorsement. It has some vague progressive tendencies, but is a lot more loose and aggressive sounding than their later efforts. It's just excellent all the way around, When is just about as good as it gets.

Correct. It also has this mysterious and ghostly atmosphere.

I'm a sucker for the creepy rural mansion feel, and both 'Morningrise' and 'My Arms' accentuate that feeling through the artwork and the lyrics. Which reminds me, I haven't heard either album in ages and they're both due for a good playing with. 

Correct. It also has this mysterious and ghostly atmosphere.
I'm a sucker for the creepy rural mansion feel, and both 'Morningrise' and 'My Arms' accentuate that feeling through the artwork and the lyrics. Which reminds me, I haven't heard either album in ages and they're both due for a good playing with. 
I just played through all of my Opeth albums a few weeks ago, and I still don't get the Orchid and Morningrise craze. They're both albums loaded with great ideas, but the ideas don't flow into each other particularly well, and most of the songs have kind of an awkward/disjointed feel to them. "Clumsy" might be a good way to put it. They seemed to collect those ideas a lot more effectively starting with My Arms, Your Hearse, and made the different sides of their sound work together instead of kind of uncomfortably rubbing shoulders with each other.

On ‎11‎.‎1‎.‎2018 at 1:18 PM, Requiem said:

I´ve done it already. That is much more violent, not my cup of cake. I do not like death metal at all. I stand behind my statement.

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/01/2018 at 4:31 AM, BlutAusNerd said:

I just played through all of my Opeth albums a few weeks ago, and I still don't get the Orchid and Morningrise craze. They're both albums loaded with great ideas, but the ideas don't flow into each other particularly well, and most of the songs have kind of an awkward/disjointed feel to them. "Clumsy" might be a good way to put it. They seemed to collect those ideas a lot more effectively starting with My Arms, Your Hearse, and made the different sides of their sound work together instead of kind of uncomfortably rubbing shoulders with each other.

I agree with this, although I think ‘Morningrise’ is better than ‘Orchid’. 

I actually used to tease an old house mate back in the day by calling ‘Orchid’, ‘Awkward’. I was ever so funny.

I agree with this, although I think ‘Morningrise’ is better than ‘Orchid’. 
I actually used to tease an old house mate back in the day by calling ‘Orchid’, ‘Awkward’. I was ever so funny.
I prefer Morningrise as well, but not by much. Both have great parts, but they seemed to have no knowledge of how to marry up those parts into a cohesive song back then. They really became a special band when they could reconcile that dichotomy in a beautiful way, and as we found out from Heritage, they really need to have both sides together to be sensational.

36 minutes ago, BlutAusNerd said:

Both have great parts, but they seemed to have no knowledge of how to marry up those parts into a cohesive song back then.

Not for my money. The songwriting on Morningrise (and to a lesser extent Orchid) was formative to me as a musician and it took me about a year after the release of MAYH to get used to their new direction. As much as I've come to love everything through Ghost Reveries, the original lineup will always be my favorite. Those first two albums have an atmosphere I've never heard anywhere else.

Not for my money. The songwriting on Morningrise (and to a lesser extent Orchid) was formative to me as a musician and it took me about a year after the release of MAYH to get used to their new direction. As much as I've come to love everything through Ghost Reveries, the original lineup will always be my favorite. Those first two albums have an atmosphere I've never heard anywhere else.
Their atmosphere was unique for sure, but it seemed like when a good idea would run its course, they felt that was the time to start on a totally unrelated idea with usually no transition whatsoever. While it may have informed your writing, I don't get that feeling of disjointed and unrelated ideas from Black Harvest. There's never a point where I have to check to see what the title of the next song is on the CD case when there's an abrupt stop/change, only to find out that they're still playing the same song, and Orchid especially is guilty of this throughout its run time.

• 5 months later...

I am actually starting to get on with “Sorceress”. Don’t get me wrong it is a trying prospect to pick up and listen to and it requires a lot of attention to pick up on some of the good ideas beneath the disjointed structures were they try too hard to be prog, progging for prog’s sake almost at times.  However it is sticking with me currently for good reasons which is not something I can always say with Opeth.

• 1 month later...
On 1/11/2018 at 1:18 PM, Requiem said:

Sir, I've come to this particular post only to say sorry for my stubbornness. I gave Opeth another, so to say, shot. Mikael's voice does not represent any kind of unpleasant expirience that it used to do. I enjoyed Ghost Reveries and got much bigger picture of what Opeth is and how I should feel their music. Trust me that I felt stupid for my conservative views, I stated it also in another post of this precious forum some time ago, that I am stubborn and conservative when it comes to introducing something that my selfish brain does not consider being his. Cheers!

15 hours ago, Comprodrigue said:

Sir, I've come to this particular post only to say sorry for my stubbornness. I gave Opeth another, so to say, shot. Mikael's voice does not represent any kind of unpleasant expirience that it used to do. I enjoyed Ghost Reveries and got much bigger picture of what Opeth is and how I should feel their music. Trust me that I felt stupid for my conservative views, I stated it also in another post of this precious forum some time ago, that I am stubborn and conservative when it comes to introducing something that my selfish brain does not consider being his. Cheers!

Posts like these are why I join metal forums.  Anytime spent on the internet helping others find and appreciate new music is time well spent!

On 8/5/2018 at 10:22 AM, Comprodrigue said:

Glad to hear it! 

• 2 months later...

Opeth was actually the band that really got me into metal in the first place. I was 15 I think when I heard "Patterns in the Ivy" and I was intrigued. I picked up Blackwater Park, and the rest is history, as they say.

Their Candlelight stuff is great. Orchid has some of the most beautiful and memorable riffs of any album in my opinion, and it's my favorite from them despite the unorthodox songwriting. I also love Still Life, though I still can't follow the supposed concept. I personally can't stand anything after Ghost Reveries.

• 6 months later...

Opeth are pleased to present you with the title and tracklisting for their awaited 13th observation.
"In Cauda Venenum", is due out this fall on Moderbolaget Records / Nuclear Blast Entertainment. 

Recorded last year at Stockholm's Park Studios, In Cauda Venenum will be released in two versions, in both Swedish and English languages. Various physical and digital formats will be available and additional details will be announced in the coming months.

In anticipation of the impending release, OPETH will be performing shows around the world through the end of the year. Dates are and ticketing info can be found here: 
www.opeth.com/tour-dates or on the "Dates, Tickets' tab on this Facebook page. Additional touring will be announced soon.

In Cauda Venenum Tracklisting:
1. Livet’s Trädgård / Garden Of Earthly Delights (Intro) 
2. Svekets Prins / Dignity 
3. Hjärtat Vet Vad Handen Gör / Heart In Hand 
4. De Närmast Sörjande / Next Of Kin 
5. Minnets Yta / Lovelorn Crime 
6. Charlatan 
7. Ingen Sanning Är Allas / Universal Truth 
8. Banemannen / The Garroter 
9. Kontinuerlig Drift / Continuum 
10. Allting Tar Slut / All Things Will Pass

38 minutes ago, Vikings19 said:

Opeth are pleased to present you with the title and tracklisting for their awaited 13th observation.
"In Cauda Venenum", is due out this fall on Moderbolaget Records / Nuclear Blast Entertainment. 

Recorded last year at Stockholm's Park Studios, In Cauda Venenum will be released in two versions, in both Swedish and English languages. Various physical and digital formats will be available and additional details will be announced in the coming months.

In anticipation of the impending release, OPETH will be performing shows around the world through the end of the year. Dates are and ticketing info can be found here: 
www.opeth.com/tour-dates or on the "Dates, Tickets' tab on this Facebook page. Additional touring will be announced soon.

In Cauda Venenum Tracklisting:
1. Livet’s Trädgård / Garden Of Earthly Delights (Intro) 
2. Svekets Prins / Dignity 
3. Hjärtat Vet Vad Handen Gör / Heart In Hand 
4. De Närmast Sörjande / Next Of Kin 
5. Minnets Yta / Lovelorn Crime 
6. Charlatan 
7. Ingen Sanning Är Allas / Universal Truth 
8. Banemannen / The Garroter 
9. Kontinuerlig Drift / Continuum 
10. Allting Tar Slut / All Things Will Pass

Cross your fingers so this one haves some growls on it hahahaha

16 minutes ago, Kilian_Leon said:

Cross your fingers so this one haves some growls on it hahahaha

I've seen them do their older stuff live a few times since Heritage came out, and I have to say Åkerfeldt doesn't seem to have his heart in it when he growls anymore. His death metal vocals sounded like an afterthought. I don't like any of their albums after Ghost Reveries, and I miss their angry side, but I'd still rather hear no growls at all than some half-hearted pandering (looking at you, Nick Holmes).

• 1 year later...

In my humble opinion, if there is one band that meets the definition of "selling out", it would have to be opeth. I know that greater success means being able to do what you want, but how do you go from DELIVERANCE & BLACK WATER PARK to records like WATERSHED & HARVEST?  The reason I bring them up is bacause mikael arkfeldt said he couldn't care less about pissing off their old fans, we'll just get new ones. Hard to due when your last 4 records have sucked! No more "death metal" vocals. Next time,tell us ahead of time so we don't waste our time and money on cd's and concert tickets.

I feel absolutely no connection to their albums after "Ghost Reveries" but I don't think they sold out. Maybe they're cleaner and more accessible now, but they seem to be doing exactly what they want to be doing. I saw them live a handful of times after "Heritage" came out, and they were obviously having a blast playing those songs. By contrast, when they did that big anniversary tour and played a bunch of old stuff, it felt like they were going through the motions. As disappointing as it is for me, being a huge fan of their first several albums, I think they'd be more guilty of "selling out" if they'd kept churning out cut rate versions of their "classic" stuff. But yeah "Watershed" was kind of the death blow for me.

I agree completely,every album after ghost reveries is crap. When that record,  heritagewas  done and they were touring, I got to see them before the record was released. I was amped up to hear the new material, and they didn't play a single song with their "death-metal" vocals. Even the old stuff was all "clean" vocals. Needless to say, I wasn't the only person who left that show pissed-off. I gave them my money for a ticket and a shirt and I had already ordered the record from amazon and when it showed up , I listened to it thinking "did they really do that"? Yup, they really sound like that now. It was the last opeth record I ever bought.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2020 at 10:23 PM, halloween said:

I agree completely,every album after ghost reveries is crap. When that record,  heritagewas  done and they were touring, I got to see them before the record was released. I was amped up to hear the new material, and they didn't play a single song with their "death-metal" vocals. Even the old stuff was all "clean" vocals. Needless to say, I wasn't the only person who left that show pissed-off. I gave them my money for a ticket and a shirt and I had already ordered the record from amazon and when it showed up , I listened to it thinking "did they really do that"? Yup, they really sound like that now. It was the last opeth record I ever bought.

More like Blowpeth.

41 minutes ago, Innominate said:

:D I never hated them. I saw them in 2005 and they were pretty good. But it's sounding like things have gone downhill since lol

Quite precipitously downhill, 2005 was their last good album in my book. Also their last album with Lopez on drums, and he wasn't on the tour with them. Did you see them with Nevermore?