Your Lyrics

Akuji

That's going to be one long song... I have spoken to the gibbon' date=' who admires thy effort, bvt wovld cavtion yov, lest yov stray too far from the Path Of The Göat. For lo that goatiness which we seek is ov the darkness of the original Ideal Anus; bvt in cornholing this Ideal, see that thov stray'st not too far from the Rear ov its Possessor.[/quote'] I know how important it is to ensure that all our work is complete arse.

• 1 month later...

Hymne 387 or whatever the hell it is: The Might Ov Stone Revengeful Thus we rush from the an(n)als of time To strike back Versus the oppressors Never shall we be bound By ropes of religion Theological twine Or churchy chains Forever free we worship Our mighty stone gods Lead us to victory, O statue of earth. Thy power exceeds the weak incorporeal By thy corporeality, thy sacred form Thou art real and always have been Their god they say was nailed and dead But thou art everliving Until they with tyranny broke thee asunder Shattering thy form With ye repugnant hammer With laborious labor we labored To resurrect thee And soon with mortar and a kiln We made thee live again Resurrecting , assembling we brought thee to life And so now shall prevail No more shall their hammers Shatter thy holy visage Though crumbled to pieces you live Guide us, O dust Lead us to victory For only with thy wordless sublime guidance Shall we defeat those foolish enough to believe in their spirits And deny the wordless words of earth

Less Irønic Matërialist Ætheism' date=' more Göat.[/quote'] It's not actually supposed to be anti-atheist. My point was that anti-spiritual paganism is ironic given that their religiosity is significantly easier to critique than that of other theologies. Basically I was trying to write an anti-Amon Amarth diss song. But I confess that it isn't nearly as funny as I'd hoped. I don't think I was quite in the right mindset. Maybe I need to do some method acting...and go run around naked in the snow.

• 2 weeks later...

I wrote the lyrics to this song and had a company in Amerca put music and vocals to it, i then created a video at University for it. Here are the lyrics: I walk this road alone Only to find what’s wrong Running from who I was Captivated by what i am not My mind is blind To the world unknown I can’t find my way home I can’t see I can’t dream I’m left outside Facing the tide Till the end of time This burden is mine Till the end of time This burden is mine Everyday I can’t help but break I always feel this way The tears i can’t wipe away Will it ever change? Will it ever change? One day My dreams are dead In this world unknown Help me find my way home I can’t see I can’t dream I’m left outside Facing the tide Till the end of time This burden is mine Till the end of time this burden, this burden is mine Bridge: Everything I wanted to do Has fallen from my hands Everything I wanted to be Has sunk through the sand I can’t see I can’t dream I’m left outside Facing the tide Till the end of time This burden is mine This the end of time This burden, this burden is mine ---- And here is the full song and video -

• 4 weeks later...

So, I finally finished up another set: Idol Hands Do you love your lord? Even as it speaks through splintered lips ‘Twixt its sonnets, of ontology In anxiety Bark peeling from burning shame-faced cheeks Betrays itself; a pathology Words spill forth whilst it clings to accompanying podium Desperately driving its roots into osteologic soil Fingers itch for what to do They will craft someone, but who? Our weakness puts us in need of guidance When left to roam in the barren wastes of happenstance Given a light and given this earth Shall we? Fold hands and end the dearth? Intangible sound rattling round our skulls Do you imagine it comes from this? Xylologic manifestation Its bark is as worthless as its kiss Whittling another Malapropriation of thought Not exactly what you’ve had in mind Contrast the result With your transcendent hopes. Poorly carved... Those are not what you’ve designed What dazz’ling oaken heights it reaches, in arboreal strength With its unburdened branches seeking a root amongst the clouds Planting, carving begins anew As soon as harvest is past due

Interesting, great imagery, good patterns. I like it! Are you talking about the urge to attribute divine properties to idols or other representations, as a (non-functional) "explanation"? It could also be read in a more secular way as an assertion of the strength, apparently cyclical nature, and ultimate futility of the human creative process. I thought I'd post this - it's a song from "Ingrate". It was intended as an exploration of my "deconversion" process, drawing from Dennett's idea of the "intentional stance" - our tendency to assume an active, goal-seeking intelligence behind otherwise indecipherable events. I like the lyrics, although they work better in the context of the song than they do on their own IMO. The song is seven or eight years old... starting to feel like it was written by a different person. Behind Every Tree And Stone: Some say the world will end in violence, or the sea will rise and cover up the land. You said the world was never-ending. When we were young, fate was far more kind, and the sun shone higher and more brightly, and the night was never quite this black. Could we have been so wrong? Where have you been gone? How could you wait so long, only to return, and die at my feet? Now I beg the truth from strangers, on empty streets in decaying towns, but I can't forget your words. You said god was all around us, but I can't find him anywhere, and I've looked behind every tree and stone. No star in the East, to light my path; no voice in the dark; no gentle hands, guiding me back home. And I know you're here no longer, if you were ever here at all, but I feel your eyes upon me, and somehow, I swear you're hiding, behind every tree and stone, behind every tree and stone.

Interesting' date=' great imagery, good patterns. I like it! Are you talking about the urge to attribute divine properties to idols or other representations, as a (non-functional) "explanation"? It could also be read in a more secular way as an assertion of the strength, apparently cyclical nature, and ultimate futility of the human creative process.[/quote'] Sort of. The lyrics are intended to communicate the idea that people will worship something, and their proclivity is to worship the work of their hands, be that a literal or figurative oeuvre. My thinking is that the conscience points humans in the direction of the soul, but that guidance is frequently misconstrued, willfully or not. As a result, people wish to create an idol, an object of worship - something to solidify their faith. But the moment they do this they lose part of the meaning of faith (well, let's call it Christianity, I certainly wasn't out to defend the honor of Jehovah's Witnesses...). Faith is incorporeal and depends on spiritual perception, wisdom and understanding, not a crucifix at the head of a chapel. From a secular viewpoint it could be read as the fundamental stupidity in trying to worship that which has no soul, and that man is nonetheless hardwired to this need to worship.

Sort of. The lyrics are intended to communicate the idea that people will worship something' date=' and their proclivity is to worship the work of their hands, be that a literal or figurative [i']oeuvre. My thinking is that the conscience points humans in the direction of the soul, but that guidance is frequently misconstrued, willfully or not. As a result, people wish to create an idol, an object of worship - something to solidify their faith. But the moment they do this they lose part of the meaning of faith (well, let's call it Christianity, I certainly wasn't out to defend the honor of Jehovah's Witnesses...). Faith is incorporeal and depends on spiritual perception, wisdom and understanding, not a crucifix at the head of a chapel. From a secular viewpoint it could be read as the fundamental stupidity in trying to worship that which has no soul, and that man is nonetheless hardwired to this need to worship.
Hmm, my understanding of crucifixes and prayer beads is that they're there to serve as foci for the mind, rather than to be considered sacred things in themselves... is that incorrect? I don't think the impulse to worship is either fundamentally stupid or hard-wired - I think it's a product of the interaction of a few different, more simple (and probably hard-wired) impulses/brain modules/behavioral biases (like reverence for elders, the impulse to seek one's place within a hierarchy, the search for significance in natural events), in combination with the widespread cultural practice. But I suppose it's hard for a lot of people to engage in worship without some physical artifact - seems like it takes a lot of mental discipline, not unlike the discipline required for the meditation my parents practice. And it would be relatively easy for the focal object to become identified with the feeling of divine presence, which I suppose is the danger that might be warned against at the root of the admonition not to worship idols. In that way, to think of the idol as sacred would be to miss the point of the exercise, right?

Hmm, my understanding of crucifixes and prayer beads is that they're there to serve as foci for the mind, rather than to be considered sacred things in themselves... is that incorrect? [...]But I suppose it's hard for a lot of people to engage in worship without some physical artifact - seems like it takes a lot of mental discipline, not unlike the discipline required for the meditation my parents practice. And it would be relatively easy for the focal object to become identified with the feeling of divine presence, which I suppose is the danger that might be warned against at the root of the admonition not to worship idols. In that way, to think of the idol as sacred would be to miss the point of the exercise, right?
Yes, that would be it. Something C.S. Lewis pointed out was that once somebody makes a focus for their worship they immediately tie that and the worship together, which lends importance to the symbol when in fact the doctrine/prayer/devotion is the important thing. As for the point of crucifixes and prayer beads...yes, the literature seems to say that they are foci and nothing more. However, if I recall correctly that praying the rosary is a sacrament and therefore having and using a rosary is sacred - which by extension makes the rosary sacred. The Eucharist and the doctrine of trans-substantiation are idolatrous as well, to a much greater extent, and it's a much better example of what I'm talking about. The lyrics in general are anti-materialist in a broad sense, as I mentioned before. Water and gold are both mammon whichever way you slice it. The consecration of one by clergy does not change its nature, and does not make it worthy of reverence.

Well, in the sense that it's futile to attribute divine properties to material things, I totally agree. Though of course I'm absolutely a materialist, in that I don't believe any "extra" or "meta"-physical properties of being are responsible for, or involved in, our existence and our experience of it. No sneaky dualism for me... :D Either way, I do like the lyrics. Good job!

Either way' date=' I do like the lyrics. Good job![/quote'] Thanks. I did another set as well, although they're kind of disturbing and have a bitter bent to them. It has to do with a marriage going horribly wrong, and what proceeds from that event.

That would probably depress me right now... could make for a good song' date=' though.[/quote'] Well, there's a broader meaning behind it. But yeah, that was why I've decided not to put it up. Maybe I'll give this other idea a shot.

• 4 months later...

Meh, why not... First version of new lyrics. Pale is your shadow today As the sun licks our faces And what bliss is known to man, Fairer than being woken By the echo of an unanswered question? Do you remember? Dark is my shadow tonight Yesterdays are what you left Answers e'er unindited Thus I soothe myself with our Nevers, soundlessly in a sigh May I remember?

That's really not that bad.
Hooray. I don't really find them sufficient enough. It's hard to write lyrics I'm pleased with in English, but it's also the language I am most attracted to since most of the poetry and such I like is written in English. There are a lot of ideas scrambled throughout those lyrics which probably don't even reach the reader's attention. I'm satisfied with the first part, but something itches in the second part...

Revising some old lyrics which I have posted here previously. I've also added a little to them. Weeping in the stifling dark Sits a pale, frightened, girl Icy tears stream down her face And pool upon the floor She tries to stand, tries to move As terror grips her heart Her body seems frozen stiff Paralyzed by fear This pale, weeping, girl She now attempts to scream Her lips stay still, no sound comes forth Fear locks her voice inside Like her mouth is sewn shut All at once there comes a voice Calling from the dark Child-like it cries To the pale, frightened, girl This horrid, ageless, voice Commands the girl to rise Come to me the call implores Through bursts of fiendish laughter

• 5 weeks later...

I haven't been able to focus on Sexually Efficient Oyster for the past week or so, unfortunately, but I did just write a set of lyrics for the new band (which may or may not be a live incarnation of Black Harvest). I'm not completely pleased with them, but I think they've got the right combination of saying what I mean and sounding right in the context of the music. No title yet: Surrounded on all sides by ghosts of friends long gone, with their mouths wide. Everyone wants a piece. So, a million hands share space around my neck. Come and taste of it. All that I can do is keep my eyes shut, keep my eyes shut. I'm your servant here at last; I'll give everything you ask. Sun and starlight pave the ways in this town, the brightest jewel in your firmament's crown - streets I'm not fit to walk down. If I could pray, I would only ask for a moment of silence. When I fall down, leave me there, face in the dirt, till I choke on it. God of blind worms, god of rotting wounds, god of a dead child: it's in my nature to crawl here like a dog, to howl when you're in my sight, yet out of reach, and die when you say to die. All that I can do is keep my mouth shut, keep my mouth shut.

Hm, that's a pretty straight forward song. What do you mean by 'live incarnation'? Are you referring to the resemblance as seen from a musical perspective or lyrically or...?
(Edit - sorry, I think that sentence in my last post was too ambiguous. "Live incarnation" is referring to the band, not the song.) Black Harvest hasn't had a live lineup for nine years at this point. I've played with this other guitarist, on and off, for a few years now, but we've never technically been "in a band" together. He and I are co-writing new material, and we're learning a few BH songs as well. Some of the new material is based on songs he'd written for his old band, just before they stopped playing. If we learn enough BH material, and if his songs and the new stuff we're writing all fit in with my older songs well enough, we may call the band "Black Harvest" and use these new songs for the next album. It is a good bit different, though, with more of a black metal vibe. We may end up choosing a different name to reflect the different direction, and focus more on writing new songs than on learning older ones. Right now, we're just seeing how it goes.