Which Sub-Genres Have The Best Lyrics?

MetalMaiden

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Which Sub-Genres Have The Best Lyrics?

I can't wait to get your CD now. :D
We wrote the vocal lines, so we made guide tracks to go over the music to send to our vocalist, who lives out of state, in order for him to learn where the vocals went. I got pretty into what I was doing, so by the end I had this horrible half-assed Tom Warrior "growl" that sounded pretty funny. NTNR, however, just spoke in the most monotonous voice imaginable, which may have been even more amusing. Kyle's song was somewhere in between, but not really funny at all.

Re: Which Sub-Genres Have The Best Lyrics? Mine was monotone but not really funny. Kyle managed to somehow be cool. I really don't know how he did it. Regardless the final product is MUCH better and not funny at all. I don't know if I even have a copy of the scratch tracks. We joked about putting one of Jaykes tracks on an old forum we used to frequent, but we never with through with it.

• 2 months later...

Re: Which Sub-Genres Have The Best Lyrics? Symphonic Metal has the best lyrics and, NTNR, they do matter! :) Symphonic lyrics not only tell a story but are usually very poetic, especially Nightwish. The Imaginaerum album's lyrics are just beautiful and moving, occasionally giving me goosebumps. However, Iron Maiden also have terrific lyrics, but they don't really belong to a sub-genre of their own do they?

Re: Which Sub-Genres Have The Best Lyrics? well the NWOBHM was just a movement, an advancement on traditional heavy metal, and as such one could say Maiden do fit a sub-genre (heavy/traditional metal) however I choose not to narrow things down to one particular style as there will always be bands in those genres with bad lyrics, instead I say that well constructed metal has the best lyrics as there is a great deal of thought that goes into them and the music overall, this way I avoid the limitations of any specific sub-genre or band as it doesn't matter whether the band is death, doom, progressive, thrash etc, all that matters is that they perform competently at the very least ranging to brilliantly at the highest end of the spectrum

We wrote the vocal lines' date=' so we made guide tracks to go over the music to send to our vocalist, who lives out of state, in order for him to learn where the vocals went. I got pretty into what I was doing, so by the end I had this horrible half-assed Tom Warrior "growl" that sounded pretty funny. NTNR, however, just spoke in the most monotonous voice imaginable, which may have been even more amusing. Kyle's song was somewhere in between, but not really funny at all.[/quote'] It's hilarious listening to my mom trying to imitate death metal vocals. She sounds like a deranged baby. :D I'd say prog and tech-death typically have the best lyrics. Symphonic metal lyrics are fine but a bit too straightforward.

I'd say prog and tech-death typically have the best lyrics. Symphonic metal lyrics are fine but a bit too straightforward.
Really? Have you heard Nightwish's lyrics? But if they are not as good then truly your bands' lyrics are the most metallically awsome lyrics of all metal awesomeness...ness :twisted: !!!

Yeah' date=' I have. They're OK, but nothing special. Maybe their new material is more insightful?[/quote'] Definately. Imaginaerum is an almost complete break with the past, and is so beautiful and moving both muscially and lyrically. In fact, my signiture is from Imaginaerum (the song is the "Song of Myself") so I guess you could take that as a pretty good barometer. If you like it, you'll like the lyrics of the album. If you don't, well, you won't :lol: !

Re: Which Sub-Genres Have The Best Lyrics? the lyrics are in most case not important to the overall song, but in some cases the lyrics help make the song what it is, for example Iron Maiden's Hallowed Be Thy Name, now you can't tell me that, particularly at the beginning of the song, the lyrics combined with Bruce's delivery of them aren't necessary for the benefit of the song

Nightwish are neither whiney nor Disney :x !!!!
From their page on metal-archives.com: "Tuomas Holopainen is a huge fanatic of Disney animation and he loves Disneyworld in Florida, USA. Nightwish has played some shows there at the Blues Club, and at that time, the Disney film "Finding Nemo" was in theaters, leading to the misconception that the song 'Nemo' has something to do with movie. The truth is Nemo is Latin for 'nobody' and the name is a coincidence. At Nightwish live shows, it's been known for people to throw the Nemo fish character plush doll on stage to the band."

Re: Which Sub-Genres Have The Best Lyrics? Er, so? I mean, loads of people like Disney (not me mostly - but I love Shrek!). I think that it's almost illegal for anybody with a daughter not to "love" Disney - despite feeling that intense sense of nausea during each and every film. This surely has not reflection on the quality of their lyrics? And anyway, at least they are peotic and loquacious - with is more than you can say for some bands no matter how great their music. NWAAAR! Death and Blood! Innocents murdered by my handddddddddddddddddddddddd! MWARRRRRR! :lol:

Er' date=' so? I mean, loads of people like Disney (not me mostly - but I love Shrek!). I think that it's almost illegal for anybody with a daughter not to "love" Disney - despite feeling that intense sense of nausea during each and every film. This surely has not reflection on the quality of their lyrics? And anyway, at least they are peotic and loquacious - with is more than you can say for some bands no matter how great their music. NWAAAR! Death and Blood! Innocents murdered by my handddddddddddddddddddddddd! MWARRRRRR! :lol:[/quote'] You claimed that they weren't Disney influenced, but Disney is one of their keyboard players biggest non-musical influences. I don't know about how well written they may be, but Disney doesn't have anything to do with metal, hence my initial comment. Lyrics don't mean much to me, but if they're really bad or off topic they can take away from the music.

Re: Which Sub-Genres Have The Best Lyrics? Ah well, all I can say is that I love Nightwish and their lyrics, which I honestly believe are amongst the best in metal. As to whether they are very Disney, I suppose that such songs as "The Beauty and the Beast" show a certain leaning, but most such as "Wishmaster" and "The End of All Hope" are definately not.

Re: Which Sub-Genres Have The Best Lyrics? Nightwish, like Blind Guardian, stick painfully close to the verse, pre-bridge, verse pre-bridge, bridge chorus, etc... formula. It's sad that anyone still does that. Yes it does work and it's very easy to do but it's painfully limiting. As I've said before lyrics are purely subjective, what's good to one will be crap to another. I don't think any one style has a leg up on the others in this category. Individual bands are where it's at. Anathema have brilliant lyrics but so does Nevermore. Iron Maiden have always been good writers but they're escapism as opposed to the aforementioned are more real; poetic but real. So it goes further, what do you want, fantasy, reality or something else? Direct or abstract? Silly or serious? Nightwish are mainstream Euro Metal which is still better than a lot of underground US Metal (sadly). I think some of their lyrics are alright but mostly they are just fantasy nonsense. Which brings me to my next point, another one of those I've said it before. Who care's about what's written? It's all about the music, that's all that matters. Granted some lyrics can make a song that much better, they're really pointless.

From their page on metal-archives.com: "Tuomas Holopainen is a huge fanatic of Disney animation and he loves Disneyworld in Florida, USA. Nightwish has played some shows there at the Blues Club, and at that time, the Disney film "Finding Nemo" was in theaters, leading to the misconception that the song 'Nemo' has something to do with movie. The truth is Nemo is Latin for 'nobody' and the name is a coincidence. At Nightwish live shows, it's been known for people to throw the Nemo fish character plush doll on stage to the band."
:lol::lol::lol: Now, a concept album based on Finding Nemo...that would be a riot. ON TO TOY STORY 3! Actually, that movie was really good. I liked it a lot. The underlying theme of the 'argument from evil' debate was really great.

Re: Which Sub-Genres Have The Best Lyrics? how many times do I have to say this before it sinks in people METAL has the best lyrics, even the worst metal bands still write better lyrics then the britney spears and justin biebers of the world it doesn't matter what sub-genre they're in it's all about the music and lyrics merely serve to enhance the experience

how many times do I have to say this before it sinks in people METAL has the best lyrics' date=' even the worst metal bands still write better lyrics then the britney spears and justin biebers of the world it doesn't matter what sub-genre they're in it's all about the music and lyrics merely serve to enhance the experience[/quote'] I don't know. Quality-wise, I'd put grind lyrics on a parity with pop music. That said, grind lyrics don't actually influence societal norms, so in terms of long-term damage to society pop music still reigns.