best metal guitarist (your opinion)

916kaden

Re: best metal guitarist (your opinion)

we finally agree on something, kinda wasn't expecting that noticed you didn't talk about Satriani or Morello though
Satraini is good at what he does, but he bores me to tears. I gave him a shot years ago but couldn't make it past a couple of songs. Trivia: Satraini taught Kirk Hammett and Alex Skulnick and another person I can't recall. I hate RATM and everything associated with them. They're not Metal. Morello isn't anything special in my eyes. I met his teacher Michelangelo Betio (from Nitro) and he's amazing. He's ambidextrous and plays two guitars at once. Pretty cool gimmick, though he's the real deal.

Re: best metal guitarist (your opinion) I've heard some of Batio's stuff actually its pretty damn good, and yeah Morello's not metal, if I were Satriani I wouldn't be proud of teaching Hammett how to play since the guy clearly didn't listen, I like Metallica and even I think Kirk is one of the most over-rated guitar players on the planet anyway its cool chatting with someone who isn't afraid to speak their mind, most of the people I know who are into metal are too afraid to speak their mind in case someone disagrees, its so annoying, reckon I've probably mentioned Richie Blackmore on here somewhere but I can't remember so I'll do it again, and while I'm at it I know I've mentioned Slash before but that guy is so good (in my opinion) that I'm gonna do it again

I've heard some of Batio's stuff actually its pretty damn good, and yeah Morello's not metal, if I were Satriani I wouldn't be proud of teaching Hammett how to play since the guy clearly didn't listen, I like Metallica and even I think Kirk is one of the most over-rated guitar players on the planet anyway its cool chatting with someone who isn't afraid to speak their mind, most of the people I know who are into metal are too afraid to speak their mind in case someone disagrees, its so annoying, reckon I've probably mentioned Richie Blackmore on here somewhere but I can't remember so I'll do it again, and while I'm at it I know I've mentioned Slash before but that guy is so good (in my opinion) that I'm gonna do it again
Kirk is painfully overrated! No two ways about it. I used to not speak up so much because some people take themselves far too seriously. I recently decided to just say my piece and roll with whatever comes. Not every argument has to be a fight. :D Blackmore = Brilliance. Slash is good too, but his former affiliations prevent me from getting into his music. He's always had a signature sound though.

Re: best metal guitarist (your opinion) I'm trying not to take everything so seriously, and for the most part it works, but as I've said before for some reason everything changes when it comes to Pantera Eddie Van Halen is another one of those guys that gets a ton of cred, I'm still undecided on him though, some of his work is brilliant, but some is just boring, a bit like Yngwie Malmsteen, after a while their songs start to sound the same as the one before

Re: best metal guitarist (your opinion) I've never liked Van Halen. I've never understood their appeal. They're just party music, no substance and nothing to offer. I love Yngwie. Totally worth seeing if you get the chance. He puts on a great show. All of his songs are interchangeable as they're just long solos with simplistic rhythms underneath them.

Re: best metal guitarist (your opinion) the thing I like so much about Yngwie is that he can play live, there are so many guitar players out there that can only play on albums i.e. the guitarists from dragonforce John 5 is a pretty good guitar player as well, not to mention Zakk Wylde

Re: best metal guitarist (your opinion) From what little I've heard of John 5 I'll agree. He's a lot better than a lot of the bands he's played with would have you believe. Wilde was good in 80's. He was never as good as Jake E. Lee or Rhodes but he held his own. He's pretty overrated IMO. Had he not played for Ozzy no one would know his name.

I was gonna through Michael Schenker in there some of his stuff is kinda cool' date=' but he's not really metal, Uli Jon Roth is another one[/quote'] Those are two great examples. Another one of those "I can't believe I didn't mention them before." Their 70's work was outstanding.

Re: best metal guitarist (your opinion) mob-rules are you nuts, sure for a guy missing some fingers Iommi is good and he pretty much invented metal but he is by no means the best guitarist out there some people better then Iommi Uli Jon Roth Michael Schenker Dave Mustaine Kerry King Steve Vai John 5 Michaelangelo Batio K.K Downing "Dimebag" Darrell I could go on for a while longer but I think you get the idea

Re: best metal guitarist (your opinion) hmmm I think we'll probably encounter each other a lot, and disagree a lot too In my opinion Synyster Gates is highly over-rated here is a brief list of guitar players I think are better then Gates Dimebag Darrell - Pantera Dave Mustaine - Megadeth Marty Freidman - former Megadeth Kerry King - Slayer K.K Downing - former Judas Priest Yngwie Malmsteen Dave Murray - Iron Maiden Adrian Smith - Iron Maiden Tony Iommi - Black Sabbath Randy Rhoades - Ozzy Osbourne Zakk Wylde - Black Label Society, former Ozzy Osbourne I could go on for a while so I'd better stop here

Re: best metal guitarist (your opinion) mate Yngwie Malmsteen on a bad day is better then Gates at his best FCNZzI7cHDA if Gates could play like that maybe I'd have some respect for him, probably not though since I have a very low tolerance for bands that try to be metal without being metal

• 3 weeks later...

Re: best metal guitarist (your opinion) Something I've been meaning to mention but had forgotten was the over usage of effects for one guitarist. Zack Wilde is a prime example of this. In the last decade or two he's taken his 80's, 90's and 00's effects and tone and tried to sandwich them together. It comes off sounding cheesy. Garry Jennings of Cathedral is no different. Trying to play both new and old songs with out changing guitars or effects makes the songs sound stupid. Some snippets of current Iron Maiden make me think they've gone the same route. Instead of having a few pedals before the player they just compress the fuck out of everything they've got. I once put two distortion pedals and an overdrive footswitch together and it sounded like garbage. Aidan Baker of Nadja does just that, but he also plays Drone/Doom and it works, mostly. Synister Gates (dumbest name ever?) is just a chump that spends too much time looking at himself in the mirror. If you want to hear a really talented guitarist check out any band John Sykes has been a part of.

I don't have a problem with overly technical playing' date=' as long as it doesn't take away from songwriting. As long as it's a means to an end as opposed to just showing off, it can be quite effective.[/quote'] Ar. Seventh Wonder's technicality (courtesy of Johan Liefvendahl) is unobtrusive and adds to the music. In Brain Drill and Viraemia the technicality just gets annoying.