best metal guitarist (your opinion)

916kaden

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Re: best metal guitarist (your opinion) It's impossible to narrow it down to just one when so many have influenced the masses. Richie Blackmore would probably be the best however since he's cited by so many old and new school guitarist as a prime influence. Tony Iommi, Michael Schenker & Ulrich Roth were also around in the formative years and get loads of praise too. Everything else simply breaks down into your favorite. The guitarists who've influenced my playing more than any other are: Dave Murray (Iron Maiden) Eric Brunley (Novembers Doom) Gregor Mackintosh (Paradise Lost) Daniel Cavanagh (Anathema) Glen Tipton (Judas Priest) James Murphy (Death, Cancer, Obituary, Testament, etc...) Yngwie Malmsteen There are TOO MANY overrated guitarists to name. Specifically those who magically became "gods" after their deaths. Dime is one in particular that gets way more praise than he should. All he did was trill, Dave Murray has been doing that in Maiden for 30+ years and hasn't received the same recognition. Dime was ok for what he did but he was no genius.

Re: best metal guitarist (your opinion)

The guitarists who've influenced my playing more than any other are: Dave Murray (Iron Maiden) Eric Brunley (Novembers Doom) Gregor Mackintosh (Paradise Lost) Daniel Cavanagh (Anathema) Glen Tipton (Judas Priest) James Murphy (Death, Cancer, Obituary, Testament, etc...) Yngwie Malmsteen There are TOO MANY overrated guitarists to name. Specifically those who magically became "gods" after their deaths. Dime is one in particular that gets way more praise than he should. All he did was trill, Dave Murray has been doing that in Maiden for 30+ years and hasn't received the same recognition. Dime was ok for what he did but he was no genius.
If you're a doom guitarist you might like Ian Arkley. He was in Seventh Angel, Ashen Mortality and My Silent Wake, and very much strikes a chord (AR HAR HAR) with me. He manages to be gloomy and reasonably technical. While I'm here... Arnaud Pontaco and Matheiu Pascal of Gorod are also good. I list both of them because I don't know who's lead and rhythm. Bart Frydrychowicz of Quo Vadis is awesome too in that he can synthesize tech-death playing with melody.

If you're a doom guitarist you might like Ian Arkley. He was in Seventh Angel, Ashen Mortality and My Silent Wake, and very much strikes a chord (AR HAR HAR) with me. He manages to be gloomy and reasonably technical. While I'm here... Arnaud Pontaco and Matheiu Pascal of Gorod are also good. I list both of them because I don't know who's lead and rhythm. Bart Frydrychowicz of Quo Vadis is awesome too in that he can synthesize tech-death playing with melody.
I'm aware of Ashen Mortality and Ian Arkley. I've got their last album and it would've been amazing if it weren't for the fact that the guitars were buried in the mix and the vocals were ridiculously too loud. If you like shredding in Doom you should check out Forsaken form Malta.

I'm aware of Ashen Mortality and Ian Arkley. I've got their last album and it would've been amazing if it weren't for the fact that the guitars were buried in the mix and the vocals were ridiculously too loud. If you like shredding in Doom you should check out Forsaken form Malta.
Well, I would still recommend My Silent Wake... they're how I first heard of Arkley and I've liked most of what I've heard from them. But OK, I will check out Forsaken then.

• 1 month later...

Re: best metal guitarist (your opinion) I've got nothing against Angus, AC/DC is a good band, its just that I play guitar and like the guys that come up with complex technical music, I learn an AC/DC song it takes me maybe three weeks, I just finished learning Megadeth's Holy Wars, it took me two months (and I still don't have it perfect) the cool thing about metal fans is that we don't get all pissed off if someone disagrees with us, something all the non-headbangers really should learn about

• 2 weeks later...

It's impossible to narrow it down to just one when so many have influenced the masses. Richie Blackmore would probably be the best however since he's cited by so many old and new school guitarist as a prime influence. Tony Iommi, Michael Schenker & Ulrich Roth were also around in the formative years and get loads of praise too. Everything else simply breaks down into your favorite. The guitarists who've influenced my playing more than any other are: Dave Murray (Iron Maiden) Eric Brunley (Novembers Doom) Gregor Mackintosh (Paradise Lost) Daniel Cavanagh (Anathema) Glen Tipton (Judas Priest) James Murphy (Death, Cancer, Obituary, Testament, etc...) Yngwie Malmsteen There are TOO MANY overrated guitarists to name. Specifically those who magically became "gods" after their deaths. Dime is one in particular that gets way more praise than he should. All he did was trill, Dave Murray has been doing that in Maiden for 30+ years and hasn't received the same recognition. Dime was ok for what he did but he was no genius.
Well, you bash pantera no matter what they do. So, yeah. When it comes to Pantera, you're out of my field of listening. But yeah, there are better guitarists, but you act like he was a 2 year old with an Ukulele.

Well, you bash pantera no matter what they do. So, yeah. When it comes to Pantera, you're out of my field of listening. But yeah, there are better guitarists, but you act like he was a 2 year old with an Ukulele.
He pretty much was. In all seriousness he did NOTHING revolutionary. Having started life as van halen worship before become Metal and then proto-modern core, guys like him were a dime a dozen. For some reason people think that once you die you suddenly become legendary. I give that band crap because I'm so sick to death of them. I grew up when they were popular and I hated them back then. I know a lot of headbangers that hated them and still do. Maybe you'll see that one day. Maybe you won't. Either way it's apparent that we'll never agree on this subject.

Re: best metal guitarist (your opinion) no respect for the dead apparently, guess you'd say Randy Rhoads was over-rated too? look man just coz you don't think he was all that great doesn't mean no one should, we're entitled to our own opinions here and that's exactly what they are, just because you don't like Dime doesn't mean you should look down on anyone that does anyway here's some more dudes that should be on here Kerry King - Slayer Synister Gates - Avenged Sevenfold (though I really don't like giving those guys any credit) Randy Rhoads - Ozzy Osbourne Zakk Wylde

no respect for the dead apparently, guess you'd say Randy Rhoads was over-rated too? look man just coz you don't think he was all that great doesn't mean no one should, we're entitled to our own opinions here and that's exactly what they are, just because you don't like Dime doesn't mean you should look down on anyone that does anyway here's some more dudes that should be on here Kerry King - Slayer Synister Gates - Avenged Sevenfold (though I really don't like giving those guys any credit) Randy Rhoads - Ozzy Osbourne Zakk Wylde
Who said I was looking down on anyone? Who say's I don't have respect for the dead? Those are bold claims. I'm simply sick of people who don't deserve credit getting it. Where are the praises for actual talent like Chuck Schuldiner, Miika Tenkula or Paul Samson? Do you know enough about Heavy Metal to even know who they were? They were far more influential on REAL Metal then the two you're whining about. Randy was good but not the maniacal genius he's credited for being. His biggest contribution was helping to combine Heavy Metal and Classical music. The same thing goes for Hendrix. Nothing truly noteworthy.

Re: best metal guitarist (your opinion) speaking of people influential on metal I'm surprised no one has mentioned Ted Nugent yet, or Ace Frehley, or Jimmy Page, those guys were very influential in the early days of hard rock and metal, and saying that Ozzy Osbourne and Pantera aren't "real metal"? ok exactly what is real metal? because personally I don't think Death, Sentenced or Samson are all that great

speaking of people influential on metal I'm surprised no one has mentioned Ted Nugent yet' date=' or Ace Frehley, or Jimmy Page, those guys were very influential in the early days of hard rock and metal, and saying that Ozzy Osbourne and Pantera aren't "real metal"? ok exactly what is real metal? because personally I don't think Death, Sentenced or Samson are all that great[/quote'] Who said they're not Metal? Personally, I was never a fan of the Nuge (although I like him personally). I never cared for Kiss and Led Zepplin is overrated, they did have some influence on a lot of Metal bands over the years.

Re: best metal guitarist (your opinion) I'm glad someone got that, and yes it is an argument. John Bonham & Keith Moon are excellent examples of deceased musicians that have been given sainthood in the eyes of most musicians. Yet neither one was truly revolutionary. Moon especially was beyond run of the mill. However, John Entwistle, a brilliant bassist in his own right has been more or less forgotten.

Re: best metal guitarist (your opinion) ok here's another guy that gets a lot of praise, Cliff Burton, over-rated or not? and for a guitarist that often gets put in the god-like bracket how about Steve Vai? I think they're both great, and sorry for get a little personal earlier dude I tend to lose it a bit when people badmouth Pantera coz they were the band that first got me into metal

ok here's another guy that gets a lot of praise' date=' Cliff Burton, over-rated or not? and for a guitarist that often gets put in the god-like bracket how about Steve Vai? I think they're both great, and sorry for get a little personal earlier dude I tend to lose it a bit when people badmouth Pantera coz they were the band that first got me into metal[/quote'] Cliff was very overrated. I thought that even when I was a fan of Metallica. As far as Vai, he's good but not my cup of tea. There are better guitarists out there.

Re: best metal guitarist (your opinion) fair enough, seems you've dismissed just about every guitarist i've mentioned, I'm gonna throw three more names out and then I think I'm done here since it looks like this thread is almost totally inactive K.K. Downing Joe Satriani Tom Morello