What Are You Listening To?

khaos

Can't say I blame them though, Benton's reputation as a magnificent tool precedes him, and I don't doubt what they had to say. Just as a rule though, I don't believe bands should talk shit on other bands on the internet or in interviews. It's almost never worth burning the bridge and missing out on opportunities (getting a reputation for shit talking can alienate bands and fans from you). I have no doubt that they were justified, but as you said, it's politics (read: bullshit). Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2
I think Benton is an easy target because of the popularity of his band, so it was easy for people to believe Broken Hope's side of the story. It certainly seems plausible, but hearing Benton talk about it makes me unsure. In the interview, he definitely talks about cred and may have his head up his ass, but it looks like Shaun Glass could also have some entitlement issues...

Re: What Are You Listening To?

I think Benton is an easy target because of the popularity of his band' date=' so it was easy for people to believe Broken Hope's side of the story. It certainly seems plausible, but hearing Benton talk about it makes me unsure. In the interview, he definitely talks about cred and may have his head up his ass, but it looks like Shaun Glass could also have some entitlement issues...[/quote'] They could all be total hard ons for all I know, but it was Benton that did the booting. I haven't heard his side of the story yet, but after having seen his attitude live, I have no doubt that he at least has his part in it. I can't imagine any issue big enough to get Broken Hope kicked off a bill that would be reasonable, short of instigating the stabbings themselves. They've obviously had some shit building up throughout the tour, but just like the shit talking, I don't see how the booting could be in any way beneficial for Deicide because of the burnt bridges. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

They could all be total hard ons for all I know, but it was Benton that did the booting. I haven't heard his side of the story yet, but after having seen his attitude live, I have no doubt that he at least has his part in it. I can't imagine any issue big enough to get Broken Hope kicked off a bill that would be reasonable, short of instigating the stabbings themselves. They've obviously had some shit building up throughout the tour, but just like the shit talking, I don't see how the booting could be in any way beneficial for Deicide because of the burnt bridges. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2
Yeah, I couldn't see the need to kick them off the tour unless they didn't show up to a scheduled concert or something. I guess I was just saying that there's often two sides to every story and people are quick to judge. NP: Transient - Smash Therapy via Youtube. Rad!

BAN - Listen to the interview if you have the time and patience. It's actually pretty interesting. My takeaway was that Broken Hope screwed themselves by trying to restart a career and then talking public shit about Benton, who has a career and is obviously pretty adept at manipulating what people think of him. We'll see whether this hurts Broken Hope in the long run. I don't see a lot of downsides here for Deicide. Ultimately I still think both bands did their best work twenty years ago and I'd rather go to a local show anyway... BTW the Transient recordings up on Youtube are really good, though I didn't care for Landmine Marathon. I couldn't honestly tell if it was the same vocalist - she had her hair in her face the entire set. edit - KSMASH got in there first! Awesome. Glad you dig it.

BAN - Listen to the interview if you have the time and patience. It's actually pretty interesting. My takeaway was that Broken Hope screwed themselves by trying to restart a career and then talking public shit about Benton' date=' who [i']has a career and is obviously pretty adept at manipulating what people think of him. We'll see whether this hurts Broken Hope in the long run. I don't see a lot of downsides here for Deicide. Ultimately I still think both bands did their best work twenty years ago and I'd rather go to a local show anyway... BTW the Transient recordings up on Youtube are really good, though I didn't care for Landmine Marathon. I couldn't honestly tell if it was the same vocalist - she had her hair in her face the entire set. edit - KSMASH got in there first! Awesome. Glad you dig it.
Like BAN said, they probably shouldn't have been kicked off the tour simply for being assholes. Glen Benton says it himself in the interview, they "stepped on toes". That's about the crux of his explanation. I just think people were so quick to judge the situation solely based on the musical "cred" of the involved parties, when in reality both bands have had a pretty hit-or-miss discography. Plus Broken Hope seems to have changed their sound with the evolving death metal climate (Loathing album), not to mention how timely their "comeback" record is considering death metal's current popularity... even though I think Benton ultimately is at fault for playing tour manager and booting BH over band drama that could have probably been worked out with cooler heads involved, I just want to call it like it is. Both parties have diminished their respective underground cred. If Deicide = tired hacks who should throw in the towel, then Broken Hope = trend hoppers, but their best material (IMO) is a direct result of said trend hopping. TL,DR version: The whole thing is stupid and cred doesn't mean shit. NP: Saviours - Cavern of Mind

@KSMASH' date=' it's not about "cred" so much as the fact that Benton was top dog in this situation. Broken Hope's been gone for a long time. They should have known there was going to be some shit to eat, and they probably should have eaten it with a smile and stuck around to finish the tour.[/quote'] I agree somewhat that they should have known what they were getting themselves into considering Benton's reputation. I guess my discussion of "cred" was partially separate to this incident, and I meant that people defend Broken Hope up and down because they put out one or two good albums. But the same could be said for Deicide and yet everyone wants them to "give it up". It's just kind of funny to me, and I think it says something about how people want to believe in the underdog when objectively they are about on par with the mainstream bands' musical output. NP: Fuck the Facts - Amer via Bandcamp stream.

Re: What Are You Listening To?

Suffocation - Pinnacle Of Bedlam wow, this sounds a lot like Suffocation.:D edit - Snark aside, there are actually some really cool riffs here. I like it so far.
Easily the best of their new albums IMO. The production took some getting used to, but it sounds much better when you're not hearing it on computer speakers. The riffs are awesome, and I would say that some of Terrence's best solos are on display. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

I suppose I was really just attempting to deconstruct people's criticisms and sweeping generalizations in the wake of this incident. And the reason I brought up cred is because that's basically how Benton defended himself, and it seems to be Metal Sucks' justification for his actions as well. Deicide is "established" and therefore Benton calls the shots. Actually, if the Broken Hope dudes really took money out of other bands' pockets to fund their crew, I could see that as being the only legitimate reason to kick them off the tour. Other than that, I don't know. It's just a shitty situation and to me it reflects a lot of the issues I have with the whole idea of metal "legitimacy" and "cred". ANYWAY... I hope everyone is having a great day, and not dealing with egotistical airheads in their respective fields of work! Jam some metal and don't sweat the small stuff!

Easily the best of their new albums IMO. The production took some getting used to, but it sounds much better when you're not hearing it on computer speakers. The riffs are awesome, and I would say that some of Terrence's best solos are on display. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2
I really want to get this album, but I haven't been hitting the record stores lately! Mostly just buying cheap stuff from the bands that come through town... I need a new job so I can get back to feeding my music addiction :]

I suppose I was really just attempting to deconstruct people's criticisms and sweeping generalizations in the wake of this incident. And the reason I brought up cred is because that's basically how Benton defended himself, and it seems to be Metal Sucks' justification for his actions as well. Deicide is "established" and therefore Benton calls the shots. Actually, if the Broken Hope dudes really took money out of other bands' pockets to fund their crew, I could see that as being the only legitimate reason to kick them off the tour. Other than that, I don't know. It's just a shitty situation and to me it reflects a lot of the issues I have with the whole idea of metal "legitimacy" and "cred". ANYWAY... I hope everyone is having a great day, and not dealing with egotistical airheads in their respective fields of work! Jam some metal and don't sweat the small stuff!
I'm not disagreeing with your point about musical legitimacy. I think you're right. But it's not a meritocracy, whether or not it should be. It's a business. Benton's point was that Deicide has had years' worth of commercially viable albums and tours while BH has been out of action. Who knows how they would have done trying to book their own tour? It's beside the point, because they didn't; they were on Deicide's bill. Right and wrong don't really come into it. What I'm saying is that if they'd put their feelings aside and stuck it out with the tour they'd be better off now; and if they'd have just kept their mouths shut when they got kicked off, anything Benton said would have looked whiny and defensive. Instead they got whiny and defensive first. From a pragmatic point of view they handled the whole thing really poorly. And from my point of view, yeah, who cares, fuck the drama, whatever. But it's actually a really valuable lesson in how not to handle yourself in that sort of situation, and I think it applies to any of us who want to be working musicians.