What Are You Listening To?

khaos

3 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

I think the primitive stuff I post tends to be more early BM demos, I don’t listen to as much because I’m not often in that kind of mood.

I have a few nostalgic favorites from yesteryear but I stopped looking for any more old 90's stuff a long time ago because I like the modern "faux" take on dirty black metal production a lot better than actual 30 year old shitty low budget production, which I often find unlistenable.

I know a lot of people like to complain about the modern "faux" raw producution but I love it, think it adds a lot to the sound. I appreciate the art involved in making the faux filth because some bands do it better than others, it's easy to stuff it up. Clearly there's a knack to it because not every band manages to get it right. Any idiot can do normal clear straight up run-of-the-mill digital plastic production but not everyone has the skill and artistry to get all the elements of the faux filth just right. When I hear black metal with production that's too clean and clear I have to wonder "WTF were they thinking?"

Deathcircle (Bosnia & Herzegovina) — Kollektion - Unfiltered Hauntings, Balkan black

1 hour ago, AlSymerz said:

System Trashed - Outlaw.

Fuck. I managed to go nearly a full week without listening to anything but background music. I listened to a few new releases yesterday afternoon, but that was the first time I'd actually put music on since last Thursday.

See Doc? After just a week of listening to all of your daggy shit he needed a whole week off to clear his head before he could even process normal music again.

Violent Sin - Serpent's Call

1 hour ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

See Doc? After just a week of listening to all of your daggy shit he needed a whole week off to clear his head before he could even process normal music again.

Aaahhh but what if Doc's music is normal music and we are the abnormal ones?

7 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

I think the primitive stuff I post tends to be more early BM demos, I don’t listen to as much because I’m not often in that kind of mood.

I don't know what that mood is. I never go there.

2 hours ago, AlSymerz said:

Aaahhh but what if Doc's music is normal music and we are the abnormal ones?

No one here is 'normal'. Oh, and fuck youse all.

MOURNFUL CONGREGATIONThe Exuviae of the Gods Part II. If you like MC you'll like this. I liked it but it's a bit, well, nice. Not 'noice' as a Westie term of praise, but nice as in prim and tidy and sensible.

USNEA - Bathed in Light. Rather like the MC but shorter songs and not nice at all. I liked it better.

3 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

I’m not so bothered by production unless it’s truly awful. Crystal clear production has its place too, just not near my BM thanks.

Yeah, but the thing about that particular album is that I will lay money it was recorded using 21st century technology and the shitty sound is a deliberate attempt to sound authentic and tr00. Fuck 'em.

2 hours ago, Thatguy said:

I don't know what that mood is. I never go there.

No one here is 'normal'. Oh, and fuck youse all.

Yeah, but the thing about that particular album is that I will lay money it was recorded using 21st century technology and the shitty sound is a deliberate attempt to sound authentic and tr00. Fuck 'em.

Put your money away pops, of course it's deliberate! In the modern digital age everything we hear on an album is deliberate. The rough crude production's like another instrument, it's a stylistic choice that's intrinsic to the sound of that particular kind of music and they nailed it, it sounded exactly like they wanted it to sound. Bravo gentlemen.

Like you, most people don't ever go there. Even most metalheads have less than zero interest in ever going there and we get that, that's fine. But there are a select few of us here and there who tr00ly love that shit. Many bands have tried and failed to really pull that sound off successfully, but yet some of us search high and low for the few who manage to get it right. Because it speaks to us.

It's undoubtedly a small esoteric fringe of the metal world who dig that kinda shit. We all know that most people like pretty sounds, while some of us prefer ugly sounds. And then even within the subset of ugly sounds there are very different kinds of ugly that tend to appeal to different people. For instance guys like you are into bands like Krallice, or Ulcerate. I remember FA really liking that Ad Nauseam, and of course I dig lo-fi bm. All very different things, but they're all bands making ugly sounds that are difficult for most to penetrate. Which is why I said from the beginning that I didn't think anyone else here would even be able to tolerate that Botulistum much less appreciate it. But it's music to my ears.

Triptykon performing early Celtic Frost LIVESTREAM | Rock Hard Festival 2023

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

MOURNFUL CONGREGATION - The Exuviae of the Gods Part II. If you like MC you'll like this. I liked it but it's a bit, well, nice. Not 'noice' as a Westie term of praise, but nice as in prim and tidy and sensible.

Is that where that 'noice' comes from, the western Sydney suburbs? Can take the boy out of Parramatta but you can't take the Parramatta out of the boy?

My wife had an uncle in New Zealand who used "noice" the same way you use it. But he's originally from Canada, while actually he grew up living in various places all over the world as his father was in the Canadian diplomatic service. But he's been living in Aotearoa for about 40 years now, and his daughter lives in Perth, so maybe he's picked it up since he's been down there. I realize AUS and NZ have somewhat different vernacular and that there's some type of semi-friendly rivalry between the two, but still with all the Kiwis going back and forth between the two countries all the time I'm sure the two country's vernaculars have influenced one another over time.

Tjaktjadálvve - Echoes on a Windswept Plain, Sweden. Good luck trying to pronounce that band name. Might be just a bit too pretty for me in spots but overall I'm enjoying this in the wee hours of the am when I really should be sleeping.

I see what you mean, still more then solid.

Re unapproachable sounds I think the three of us reach that destination by different highways, dunno about Surj or Mark I don’t pay as much attention to their listening habits.

NP: Treblinka - Crawling in Vomits demo

Is that where that 'noice' comes from, the western Sydney suburbs? Can take the boy out of Parramatta but you can't take the Parramatta out of the boy?

I think a bloke named Charles Dickens used noice as a different spelling of nice a few years before the Doc would have. Pretty sure Dickens wasn't a westie either.

It was massively over used in the 00's here in Oz because of a sitcom called Kath and Kim and less so by Steve Irwin.