What Are You Listening To?

khaos

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

I listened again just now while gardening. There are riffs galore. More riffs than your average doom metal album. The riffs are slowly evolving and distorted but they are  there.

I know 90% or more of people won't get it. Their loss.

I got you TG. We'll do this tag team pro wrestler style. For the record I'm no pro wrestling fan, but I live in 'merica and I know the culture. so, tag me, Bro.

OK, GG, did you listen with headphones and give at least 3 tracks your full gotee attention? Look,  know this is not your thing, but you volunteered for this assignment, and I solute you. To do this correctly and with credibility, you have to put on a different hat. You must listen not at the Notorious  B.I.G.G.,  but slip into the ears of the observer. If you truly can do that grasshopper, the curtain will open and you will hear controlled feedback and lots of interesting sounds, bits of melody, dissonance and the beauty of abstract impressionistic visual art. This is controlled chaos. It is glorious. 

2 hours ago, Thatguy said:

I listened again just now while gardening. There are riffs galore. More riffs than your average doom metal album. The riffs are slowly evolving and distorted but they are there.

I know 90% or more of people won't get it. Their loss.

There's a reason I don't listen to a whole lot of doom. Because I just don't have the patience for that 'slowly evolving' thing. I prefer rapidly evolving and constanty changing. You claim there were riffs galore, and I'm not calling you a liar Doc but I certainly couldn't find them. Just a lot of noise. Evidently we define "riffs" differently you and I. But that's OK. You did stipulate right up front that I wouldn't like it. And I wouldn't have even bothered with it until Mark gave it his seal of approval and got me all curious. I knew I should have simply believed you in the first place and kept it moving. But it's cool, I don't regret listening to it.

And just as I'm forever trying to explain to a certain off the board friend of mine, it's not my loss when it's something I took the time to listen to and found out for an incontrovertible fact that I didn't like it. It's only my loss when it's something I might have actually enjoyed, but for some reason I didn't get around to listening to it.

NP: Extinction of Mankind - The Nightmare Seconds, UK crust 2004. Now these albums have riffs galore.

Cruz - Confines de la Cordura, Spanish death/crust 2022 (I skip the pointless 3 minute intro)

57 minutes ago, markm said:

I got you TG. We'll do this tag team pro wrestler style. For the record I'm no pro wrestling fan, but I live in 'merica and I know the culture. so, tag me, Bro.

OK, GG, did you listen with headphones and give at least 3 tracks your full gotee attention? Look,  know this is not your thing, but you volunteered for this assignment, and I salute you. To do this correctly and with credibility, you have to put on a different hat. You must listen not as the Notorious  B.I.G.G., but slip into the ears of the observer. If you truly can do that grasshopper, the curtain will open and you will hear controlled feedback and lots of interesting sounds, bits of melody, dissonance and the beauty of abstract impressionistic visual art. This is controlled chaos. It is glorious. 

I feel you Homes, but unfortunately I'm not looking for "controlled feedback and lots of interesting sounds, bits of melody, dissonance and the beauty of abstract impressionistic visual art." That's all well and good, but what I'm actually seeking is riffs. I'm the dragger of knuckles, remember?

8 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I feel you Homes, but unfortunately I'm not looking for "controlled feedback and lots of interesting sounds, bits of melody, dissonance and the beauty of abstract impressionistic visual art." That's all well and good, but what I'm actually seeking is riffs.

I get that-you won't get that here. I don't think anyone would accuse Big/Brave as being riffy.

17 minutes ago, markm said:

I get that-you won't get that here. I don't think anyone would accuse Big/Brave as being riffy.

Well Doc did, "riffs galore" is what he said. But he's operating on a higher plane and on a different frequency than the rest of us unworthy mortals. And again, I'm not sorry I listened to it, I like to try to stay somewhat abreast of what you cool kids are listening to. I can appreciate that other people like different stuff than I do and have vastly different criteria for judging music. I just have trouble with the ones that my brain doesn't even recognize as "music." Not that there's anything wrong with interesting sounds and dissonance and all that abstract kinda stuff, it's just not as you said my thing.

6 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Obituary - Dying of Everything

Of the new releases I’ve heard thus far in 2023 this is the best. Whilst it’s good I hope better albums are coming.

I found this to be immensely front-loaded.  The ideas start to get regurgitated or die off altogether after the first four tracks.  Had much higher hopes for this one.

8 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Yeah, baby.

Well we tried, Mark, and so did he.

And don't you worry Doc my old curmudgeonly comrade in arms, I shall continue to try undaunted. I care not if the Mark Brothers (I'm now picturing the two of you in the ring, standing high up on the ropes in your ill-fitting singlets) want to gang up on me. I say bring it on and try your best to discourage, demean and discredit me, for I have both the fortitude and the temerity to withstand such would be devastating blows that would surely deter the average goat.

And in case you've been wondering, the reason I keep trying in the face of such harrowing adversity Mark #2, is because I've found some interesting things from you two Marks' non-metal recos that even when it's not something I'd want to own or ever hear again, I often still come away feeling enriched, like I've gained some secret knowledge from the exercise of listening to some of what can only be described as the esoteric nonsense you guys have posted from well outside my wheelhouse and my comfort zone. Just quietly, truth be known every now and then you guys even manage to surprise me by coming up with a hidden gem. But don't let that go to your already enormous Mark Brothers heads, these rare occasions are most certainly the exceptions, not the rule.

11 hours ago, AlSymerz said:

Sadistic Messiah - Dehumanizing Process

Since you mainly post thrash metal, would it be safe to assume this band was formed in São Paulo in 2018 by the Brazilian musicians Rhodz and Angelcorpse with the purpose to execute killer thrash metal in the vein of 80's thrash legends like Exodus, Destruction, Dark Angel, The Mist, and Necronomicon? Or would I be way off?

3 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Since you mainly post thrash metal, would it be safe to assume this band was formed in São Paulo in 2018 by the Brazilian musicians Rhodz and Angelcorpse with the purpose to execute killer thrash metal in the vein of 80's thrash legends like Exodus, Destruction, Dark Angel, The Mist, and Necronomicon? Or would I be way off?

Yeah I assume so, they are Brazilian. I know nothing about them, I'm still going through thrashmania's 2022 list but I'm not really looking into bands, just listening to their music to see what I like.

NP: Anacrusis - Screams and Whispers