Jump to content

What Are You Listening To?


khaos
 Share

Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

Can we do it on an indoor cricket field. I don't want you to have to run too far to chase the ball down after I smash it to the boundary!!

Don't they already play both Cricket and AFL on the same round cricket field in Adelaide or some dumb shit like that? As an American I'm just against round field sports in general. How the fuck do you even know where you are on the field with no end lines or corners?

 

Adelaide Oval | LinkedIn

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nearly all our grounds play both sports. Most of the old ones have 'cricket' in their title, while it's really only the AFL that can afford to build new stadiums. They can even play Gentleman's ball on a round field if they try because most ovals are bigger than the rectangle needs of Gentleman ball.

You need lines and corners to tell you where you are? That's can't be right, I've seen American's drive, lines and corners make no difference to how bad they are!
 

Obituary - Slowly We Rot

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

Nearly all our grounds play both sports. Most of the old ones have 'cricket' in their title, while it's really only the AFL that can afford to build new stadiums. They can even play Gentleman's ball on a round field if they try because most ovals are bigger than the rectangle needs of Gentleman ball.

You need lines and corners to tell you where you are? That's can't be right, I've seen American's drive, lines and corners make no difference to how bad they are!
 

Obituary - Slowly We Rot

Beat me to it, of course the American is confused by anything which isn’t a straight line…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

Nearly all our grounds play both sports. Most of the old ones have 'cricket' in their title, while it's really only the AFL that can afford to build new stadiums. They can even play Gentleman's ball on a round field if they try because most ovals are bigger than the rectangle needs of Gentleman ball.

You need lines and corners to tell you where you are? That's can't be right, I've seen American's drive, lines and corners make no difference to how bad they are!

The AFL is the only sports league turning a profit? Guess that Big Bash League never really took off like they'd hoped, eh? Seemed like a big deal when I was over there going by the TV ads for it every 10 minutes. Guess it's difficult to get proper national sporting leagues up and running successfully when you have such a limited number of large cities. In the states though our sports franchises typically get the city to build their new stadiums for them out of taxpayer money. If they refuse the owners just threaten to move the team to another city. We have lots of big cities. It can be confusing if you don't follow a sport closely when the teams move across the country, like when the Seattle Supersonics moved to OKC and became the Thunder, or when the Houston Oilers moved to Nashville to be the Tennessee Titans and then they started a whole new franchise from scratch in Houston called the Texans. 

And yes, if I was playing a sport where I had to leap into the air and try to catch an oblong ball that was coming down at me end over end while a bunch of sweaty dudes were trying to bump and hug and tackle me I think some sidelines or yard markers or something would be helpful to get my bearings after I landed so I'd know which direction to run, no? 

And what exactly is Gentlemen's Ball? Sounds a bit like a pillow fight to me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't know the exact profit margins but yeah the AFL is making more profit than anyone else.

Cricket in general doesn't make the money that AFL does mainly because AFL is 18 teams, 24 odd weeks of competition, plus pre-season of about 6-8 weeks and now with women's AFL it's an even longer season. Big Bash is worth a lot to some of the players and while I have heard players offered million dollar packages I don't think the number offered that is as high as footballers getting offered million dollar contracts. Big Bash (or T20 I think it might be called) overseas is worth quite a bit more than here because we just don't have the sponsors to offer such a huge pay cheque. AFL recently singed a TV rights deal worth 4.8 billion (I think it was), largest ever deal in this country, but it's chump change compared to what overseas comps can get from a world wide audience.

Gentleman ball, = that think Doc keeps talking about since AFL isn't a thinking man's sport.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

The AFL is the only sports league turning a profit? Guess that Big Bash League never really took off like they'd hoped, eh? Seemed like a big deal when I was over there going by the TV ads for it every 10 minutes. Guess it's difficult to get proper national sporting leagues up and running successfully when you have such a limited number of large cities. In the states though our sports franchises typically get the city to build their new stadiums for them out of taxpayer money. If they refuse the owners just threaten to move the team to another city. We have lots of big cities. It can be confusing if you don't follow a sport closely when the teams move across the country, like when the Seattle Supersonics moved to OKC and became the Thunder, or when the Houston Oilers moved to Nashville to be the Tennessee Titans and then they started a whole new franchise from scratch in Houston called the Texans. 

And yes, if I was playing a sport where I had to leap into the air and try to catch an oblong ball that was coming down at me end over end while a bunch of sweaty dudes were trying to bump and hug and tackle me I think some sidelines or yard markers or something would be helpful to get my bearings after I landed so I'd know which direction to run, no? 

And what exactly is Gentlemen's Ball? Sounds a bit like a pillow fight to me.

There are markers, but I guess as Australians are just intelligent enough to remember which way we are meant to kick the ball…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, KillaKukumba said:

Gentleman ball, = that think Doc keeps talking about since AFL isn't a thinking man's sport.

I've never thought of gentleman anything in relation to Rugby League (league/the footie) although 'Rugby' thinks of itself as a gentleman's game. They are such poonces. Call it 'thinking ball' perhaps. No, that won't catch on. Call it the fucking footie.

Does the AFL actually pay for its stadiums? The lovely new NRL stadiums in Sydney were paid for by the government.

This topic should be on the tormenting Thatguy thread, so back on topic.

LOST HOURS - Faith's Reward. OK, but fairly bland doom.

VAURUVÃ -Manso Queimor Dacordado. Slightly exotic BM. Pretty good.

REVOCATION - Neverheaven. This is even better second time through.

FALLUJAH - Empyrean. And so is this. The thing is these guys have their bag of  tricks - as all bands do - and they run through that again here so there is nothing totally novel here but they deliver what I expected from an album by them. My favourite track is the second last one - an instrumental.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/10/2022 at 4:51 PM, markm said:

Gira said in an interview that that their earlier experiments in volume were attracting a macho rock audience he didn't care for (uh, like the guys in Neurosis maybe) and wanted to move in other directions. He also said he thought there was some good material but he was still  learning to write a song. 

Does he refer to the first Swans albums or any particular period? I've only really heard The Seer and the one after that and they were both excellent and oppressive

 

Today is the day after the Swedish elections and it seems that the right wing bloc will get (a very fucking narrow) majority. 175 seats compared to 174 for the center-left. So it's a sad day for the country today, since the right wing block are dominated by the ex-neo-nazi party Swedish Democrats (they are now the second largest party after the Social Democrats!), and they will guaranteed want minister posts. So today I'm blasting some fast as fuck crustpunk.

Massgrav - Slowly we rock

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Yup that must be it, you're just smarter than we are.

I'm pretty sure you are the only person ever to suggest football players are smarter than....well anyone.

2 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Does the AFL actually pay for its stadiums? The lovely new NRL stadiums in Sydney were paid for by the government.

 

I think they had a major stake in the new(est) stadium in Melbourne, but no they don't pay for it all, they still heavily rely on the state gubbermint for both the outlay and the continued upkeep. Even naming rights for X years isn't enough to stop gubbermint money, it's too easy to get.

2 hours ago, Thatguy said:

REVOCATION - Neverheaven. This is even better second time through.

I can agree with that.

NP: Addictive - Pity Of Man

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Sheol said:

Does he refer to the first Swans albums or any particular period? I've only really heard The Seer and the one after that and they were both excellent and oppressive

 

Today is the day after the Swedish elections and it seems that the right wing bloc will get (a very fucking narrow) majority. 175 seats compared to 174 for the center-left. So it's a sad day for the country today, since the right wing block are dominated by the ex-neo-nazi party Swedish Democrats (they are now the second largest party after the Social Democrats!), and they will guaranteed want minister posts. So today I'm blasting some fast as fuck crustpunk.

Massgrav - Slowly we rock

 

Sorry to hear about your election-seems to be a worldwide movement to fascist-like parties attracting large minority votes.

I got into Swans with Seer. The albums FA and I are talking about are a transitional period that in my mind bridge the gap between the two eras. I haven't heard all the earlier albums but have some of them. The Great Annihilator is very good.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Sheol said:

Does he refer to the first Swans albums or any particular period? I've only really heard The Seer and the one after that and they were both excellent and oppressive

Their early stuff was crushing. I think it's fantastic but it's not for everyone. Filth, Cop, Body To Body, Greed, Holy Money... loud and abrasive. They got more atmospheric on Children Of God (phenomenal album) but still kept a lot of the pounding and yelling, just interspersed with soft Jarboe tunes. That was 1987. They did a complete about-face the next year with The Burning World, produced by Bill Laswell, which Gira has basically disavowed. It's very light and kind of sappy. Singing instead of yelling. Lots of Laswell-added world instruments and songwriting geared towards a wider audience. Gira might have hated the result, but that was a definite turning point. Their next few recordings into the mid 90s were melody-driven, expansive, shimmery at times - their Goth period in a way. I love all that stuff too. That culminated in the wonderful The Great Annihilator, and then they got pretty weird and dark with Soundtracks For The Blind, and then they broke up. During this time they were also doing live shows that still had a lot of energy, and you can hear Gira and Jarboe switching roles in that loud/soft dynamic they developed in the 80s; she got downright ferocious. The Swans Are Dead live recordings capture some amazing stuff from this time period. If you're interested I can hunt down some tracks on youtube in a bit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My Dying Bride - Feel the Misery

6 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Does the AFL actually pay for its stadiums? The lovely new NRL stadiums in Sydney were paid for by the government.

Pretty good.

The AFL owns Marvel Stadium - bought it (and the Company that ran it) in 2016 for $270Million. Has now been valued at over $1Billion. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Some days I back the red disc, other days I'm on team yellow. Some real highlights on both. How are you liking it? I think Mark was right to say the JD comparison was off base, but from a sonic perspective I can also see where it was coming from.

I liked it ok. Swans is a band I've never really been able to crack the code on. It was a rather dreary morning, so it seemed to fit somewhat, but to be honest I found myself zoning out a bit and not paying much attention.

Today

UFO - UFO 1

UFO - UFO 2 Flying

UFO - Force It

Opeth - In Cauda Venenum

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, navybsn said:

I liked it ok. Swans is a band I've never really been able to crack the code on. It was a rather dreary morning, so it seemed to fit somewhat, but to be honest I found myself zoning out a bit and not paying much attention.

 

They're a deeply rewarding band if they happen to catch you at the right time. It feels like they take a different kind of listening than other post-punk, or really most of what I listen to - more meditative, semi-trancelike. I've got a lot of great memories of just sitting or laying somewhere, being immersed in the music. I listen to them less these days because I have less time to do that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


  • Join Metal Forum

    joinus-home.jpg

  • Our picks

    • Whichever tier of thrash metal you consigned Sacred Reich back in the 80's/90's they still had their moments.  "Ignorance" & "Surf Nicaragura" did a great job of establishing the band, whereas "The American Way" just got a little to comfortable and accessible (the title track grates nowadays) for my ears.  A couple more records better left forgotten about and then nothing for twenty three years.  2019 alone has now seen three releases from Phil Rind and co.  A live EP, a split EP with Iron Reagan and now a full length.

      Notable addition to the ranks for the current throng of releases is former Machine Head sticksman, Dave McClean.  Love or hate Machine Head, McClean is a more than capable drummer and his presence here is felt from the off with the opening and title track kicking things off with some real gusto.  'Divide & Conquer' and 'Salvation' muddle along nicely, never quite reaching any quality that would make my balls tingle but comfortable enough.  The looming build to 'Manifest Reality' delivers a real punch when the song starts proper.  Frenzied riffs and drums with shots of lead work to hold the interest.


      There's a problem already though (I know, I am such a fucking mood hoover).  I don't like Phil's vocals.  I never had if I am being honest.  The aggression to them seems a little forced even when they are at their best on tracks like 'Manifest Reality'.  When he tries to sing it just feels weak though ('Salvation') and tracks lose real punch.  Give him a riffy number such as 'Killing Machine' and he is fine with the Reich engine (probably a poor choice of phrase) up in sixth gear.  For every thrashy riff there's a fair share of rock edged, local bar act rhythm aplenty too.

      Let's not poo-poo proceedings though, because overall I actually enjoy "Awakening".  It is stacked full of catchy riffs that are sticky on the old ears.  Whilst not as raw as perhaps the - brilliant - artwork suggests with its black and white, tattoo flash sheet style design it is enjoyable enough.  Yes, 'Death Valley' & 'Something to Believe' have no place here, saved only by Arnett and Radziwill's lead work but 'Revolution' is a fucking 80's thrash heyday throwback to the extent that if you turn the TV on during it you might catch a new episode of Cheers!

      3/5
      • Reputation Points

      • 11 replies
    • I
      • Reputation Points

      • 1 reply
    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/52-vltimas-something-wicked-marches-in/
      • Reputation Points

      • 3 replies

    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/48-candlemass-the-door-to-doom/
      • Reputation Points

      • 1 reply
    • Full length number 19 from overkill certainly makes a splash in the energy stakes, I mean there's some modern thrash bands that are a good two decades younger than Overkill who can only hope to achieve the levels of spunk that New Jersey's finest produce here.  That in itself is an achievement, for a band of Overkill's stature and reputation to be able to still sound relevant four decades into their career is no mean feat.  Even in the albums weaker moments it never gets redundant and the energy levels remain high.  There's a real sense of a band in a state of some renewed vigour, helped in no small part by the addition of Jason Bittner on drums.  The former Flotsam & Jetsam skinsman is nothing short of superb throughout "The Wings of War" and seems to have squeezed a little extra out of the rest of his peers.

      The album kicks of with a great build to opening track "Last Man Standing" and for the first 4 tracks of the album the Overkill crew stomp, bash and groove their way to a solid level of consistency.  The lead work is of particular note and Blitz sounds as sneery and scathing as ever.  The album is well produced and mixed too with all parts of the thrash machine audible as the five piece hammer away at your skull with the usual blend of chugging riffs and infectious anthems.  


      There are weak moments as mentioned but they are more a victim of how good the strong tracks are.  In it's own right "Distortion" is a solid enough - if not slightly varied a journey from the last offering - but it just doesn't stand up well against a "Bat Shit Crazy" or a "Head of a Pin".  As the album draws to a close you get the increasing impression that the last few tracks are rescued really by some great solos and stomping skin work which is a shame because trimming of a couple of tracks may have made this less obvious. 

      4/5
      • Reputation Points

      • 4 replies
×
×
  • Create New...