What Are You Listening To?

khaos

Perversion - Dies Irae, Detroit death

Barn - Habitat, Idaho death. Cody from Afterbirth tipped me to this band of youngsters this morning but midway through the first track I'm starting to think it might be just a little too technical for me. It's not tech death per se, I just mean techical in that I can hear a little later era Death in here.

On 9/6/2022 at 11:24 PM, JonoBlade said:

The Dave vocals I heard on the new singles weren't terrible; still distinctive Dave, but live he really has to pace himself because there is nothing left of his voice. Just no power and barely opens his mouth like he's a casualty of Botox. It is unclear to me how anyone cannot be disappointed or, more accurately saddened, by a Megadeth live show.

I am an obvious outlier but We've Come For You All got me interested in Anthrax again after a long indifference. Ironically, I  did later find I had Volume 8 and Stomp 442 CDs in a box, but don't recall ever listening to them. And then they dumped Bush. I actually saw one of the first reunions in 2005 (I am guessing) at a Metal Hammer awards I managed to get comped into. Anthrax were voted best live band, despite not having actually started their tour yet. Dan Spitz was playing that night.

Anyway, there is some Bush era material that is decent, but if you listen closely his voice is not actually that stable. Joey's voice is more powerful, even though I thought his tone didn't really suit the music on everything up until Persistence of Time when it just seemed to sit better in the mix. Of all the Big Four vocalists, he was most out of place.

The greatest band that never was would have been circa 1984 Dave Mustaine on lead guitar, James Hetfield on rhythm, both trading lead vocals (Dave snarls while Hetfield could shriek).

Some really interesting stuff.  You are right - John Bush's voice comes across as hollow at times.  I actually never liked his work in Armoured Saint.  

Joey's interesting - his original style was too classical heavy metal with punk undertones.  He simply didn't sound thrash.  I do like it though.

Sepultura - Chaos AD

4 hours ago, Dead1 said:

Some really interesting stuff.  You are right - John Bush's voice comes across as hollow at times.  I actually never liked his work in Armoured Saint.  

Joey's interesting - his original style was too classical heavy metal with punk undertones.  He simply didn't sound thrash.  I do like it though.

Sepultura - Chaos AD

So the story goes, Bush was asked to join Metallica. While Hetfield became a bit ridiculous with the countryfied "yeahs!" he still has a pretty strong voice. Much stronger and solid tone than Bush. Which sounds mean, because I like the guy. In fact I'd go see him if he did a tour of Anthrax era stuff. But Metallica would not be the biggest band in the world if John Bush was the front man. There's just no x-factor.

Joey is the voice of peak Anthrax. There are moments of excellence but if you laid it out on a graph none of their highs reach even close to the peaks of the other Big Four, yet maybe a more consistent level line over time.  

I read/saw yesterday about Dave Ellefson doing a little tour with Jeff Young and Chris Poland to perform Killing is My Business and So Far, So Good. Both of those albums would be great live, sans the stupid cover songs. I hope they bring that to Europe. One of the first gigs I ever went to at 16 had a bunch of massive Maori/Islander guys playing Hook in Mouth and In My Darkest Hour (note perfect solos). It changed my life and I can still picture it.

My Chaos AD CD is missing from the digipak I have. Think my brother lost it. Have a real hankering to listen to that album now. 

2 hours ago, Arioch said:

Nevermore - The Year of the Voyager

41Hb9i6iBgL._AC_SX342_.jpg

What a waste that this group split up!

Of course, with the sad death of Warrel Dane, a reformation seems quite delicate.

But when I see how underused Jeff Loomis is in Arch Enemy, I can only be disgusted that Nevermore is no more.dreaming neon black is probably in my top five favourite Power metal albums so I do kind of agree, but a reformation wouldn’t be the same without Dane on vocals.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Join Metal Forum

joinus-home.jpg

• Our picks

• Whichever tier of thrash metal you consigned Sacred Reich back in the 80's/90's they still had their moments.  "Ignorance" & "Surf Nicaragura" did a great job of establishing the band, whereas "The American Way" just got a little to comfortable and accessible (the title track grates nowadays) for my ears.  A couple more records better left forgotten about and then nothing for twenty three years.  2019 alone has now seen three releases from Phil Rind and co.  A live EP, a split EP with Iron Reagan and now a full length.

Notable addition to the ranks for the current throng of releases is former Machine Head sticksman, Dave McClean.  Love or hate Machine Head, McClean is a more than capable drummer and his presence here is felt from the off with the opening and title track kicking things off with some real gusto.  'Divide & Conquer' and 'Salvation' muddle along nicely, never quite reaching any quality that would make my balls tingle but comfortable enough.  The looming build to 'Manifest Reality' delivers a real punch when the song starts proper.  Frenzied riffs and drums with shots of lead work to hold the interest.

There's a problem already though (I know, I am such a fucking mood hoover).  I don't like Phil's vocals.  I never had if I am being honest.  The aggression to them seems a little forced even when they are at their best on tracks like 'Manifest Reality'.  When he tries to sing it just feels weak though ('Salvation') and tracks lose real punch.  Give him a riffy number such as 'Killing Machine' and he is fine with the Reich engine (probably a poor choice of phrase) up in sixth gear.  For every thrashy riff there's a fair share of rock edged, local bar act rhythm aplenty too.

Let's not poo-poo proceedings though, because overall I actually enjoy "Awakening".  It is stacked full of catchy riffs that are sticky on the old ears.  Whilst not as raw as perhaps the - brilliant - artwork suggests with its black and white, tattoo flash sheet style design it is enjoyable enough.  Yes, 'Death Valley' & 'Something to Believe' have no place here, saved only by Arnett and Radziwill's lead work but 'Revolution' is a fucking 80's thrash heyday throwback to the extent that if you turn the TV on during it you might catch a new episode of Cheers!

3/5
      • Reputation Points

• 10 replies
    • I
      • Reputation Points

• 2 replies
    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/52-vltimas-something-wicked-marches-in/
      • Reputation Points

• 3 replies

• https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/48-candlemass-the-door-to-doom/
      • Reputation Points

• 2 replies
    • Full length number 19 from overkill certainly makes a splash in the energy stakes, I mean there's some modern thrash bands that are a good two decades younger than Overkill who can only hope to achieve the levels of spunk that New Jersey's finest produce here.  That in itself is an achievement, for a band of Overkill's stature and reputation to be able to still sound relevant four decades into their career is no mean feat.  Even in the albums weaker moments it never gets redundant and the energy levels remain high.  There's a real sense of a band in a state of some renewed vigour, helped in no small part by the addition of Jason Bittner on drums.  The former Flotsam & Jetsam skinsman is nothing short of superb throughout "The Wings of War" and seems to have squeezed a little extra out of the rest of his peers.

The album kicks of with a great build to opening track "Last Man Standing" and for the first 4 tracks of the album the Overkill crew stomp, bash and groove their way to a solid level of consistency.  The lead work is of particular note and Blitz sounds as sneery and scathing as ever.  The album is well produced and mixed too with all parts of the thrash machine audible as the five piece hammer away at your skull with the usual blend of chugging riffs and infectious anthems.  

There are weak moments as mentioned but they are more a victim of how good the strong tracks are.  In it's own right "Distortion" is a solid enough - if not slightly varied a journey from the last offering - but it just doesn't stand up well against a "Bat Shit Crazy" or a "Head of a Pin".  As the album draws to a close you get the increasing impression that the last few tracks are rescued really by some great solos and stomping skin work which is a shame because trimming of a couple of tracks may have made this less obvious. 

4/5
      • Reputation Points

• 4 replies