What Are You Listening To?

khaos

Google isn't always reliable with what it thinks I'll like but generally on a screen of 12 videos on the YT main page I get 8-10 of them as metal releases and of those usually half are albums released in the last 12 months from bands I either don't know or have heard little about. That's from one click, hit refresh and I get a different 12, although sometime it does repeat a band or album.

NP: Frenzal Rhomb - San Souci

Using YouTube to best advantage means you've got to be careful what you click on. If you just randomly click on anything that catches your eye you're going to get a ton of garbage recommendations. Keep it to stuff you know you like and channels you trust, and you'll start getting much better bands in your feed.

Drautran - Throne of the Depths

17 minutes ago, SurgicalBrute said:

Using YouTube to best advantage means you've got to be careful what you click on. If you just randomly click on anything that catches your eye you're going to get a ton of garbage recommendations. Keep it to stuff you know you like and channels you trust, and you'll start getting much better bands in your feed.

Problem I have is that I watch music docos and live concert videos and news stuff and music reaction videos (a guilty pleasure) and all kinds of other random shit besides just metal album videos on Youtube, so as you might imagine it gives me all kinds of stupid shit on the sidebar. I'll have to click on probably at least 10 metal album videos in a row before it'll even start giving me mostly full albums again. And yeah, because of my eclectic viewing habits a lot of what they offer me is usually way out in left field, all kinds of stuff I'd never have any interest in. So to combat this I've found several reasonably reliable channels for new metal albums and I can allways go there and scroll through their recent postings and see if anything catches my eye. And after I get 10 albums deep then I'll start getting black metal recos again.

Autokrator - Hammer of the Heretics, France 2018

Malleus - Storm of Witchcraft, Boston Mass 2016

Yeah I watch a lot of UK comedy shows on YT so I often get stand up and other comedy shows listed in my YT feed, but it only takes a few clicks on metal stuff to start bringing that back up, or even if I go a few days without watching a TV show, they just disappear and go back to random tv shows and majority metal. It's not very good an selecting genres of metal because I do get a lot of more extreme stuff from here listed, but it's still metal.

NP: Strapping Young Lad - SYL

9 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Problem I have is that I watch music docos and live concert videos and news stuff and music reaction videos (a guilty pleasure) and all kinds of other random shit besides just metal album videos on Youtube, so as you might imagine it gives me all kinds of stupid shit on the sidebar. I'll have to click on probably at least 10 metal album videos in a row before it'll even start giving me mostly full albums again. And yeah, because of my eclectic viewing habits a lot of what they offer me is usually way out in left field, all kinds of stuff I'd never have any interest in. So to combat this I've found several reasonably reliable channels for new metal albums and I can allways go there and scroll through their recent postings and see if anything catches my eye. And after I get 10 albums deep then I'll start getting black metal recos again.

I don't watch just music on YouTube either, but their should be a "music" tab at the top of your home page, just below the search bar, that isolates only the suggestions related to music. That's also why I said open anything new in incognito mode if it's a channel you don't know or something you don't want to add in because it will throw off their algorithm. You're right about sticking to just a few channels though because it's never going to be a perfect way to find new music, but it is a learning program meaning it's only as good as the information it gets from the user.

1 hour ago, markm said:

I was under the impression that a lot of you guys used it for specific channels like black metal promotion rather than random searches. 

When you watch a video, YT gives you what I call the sidebar on the right side of the page where there are dozens of other videos you can scroll through to click on and watch. If you watch a lot of videos of full metal albums then your sidebar will have a lot of other full metal albums in it from lots of random channels. It'll give you other genres as well not just all the same as whatever you're currently watching. That's how you find new channels and new albums and new bands.

But I've only ever subscribed to one channel, No Gleaming Light, (which is basically the filth channel) because I don't want to get all these intrusive notifications. I do watch a lot of BMP videos too becauae he's become the biggest black metal channel with a high percentage of content that appeals to me personally, but I don't bother to subscribe because his new videos seem to come up in my sidebar a lot on their own anyway.

Or you can go to a video and click on the channel name to scroll through the other videos they've posted. But you don't really even need to go by channels though because it's easy enough to scroll through the sidebar and pick out albums you've never heard of based on their titles and cover art. Or you can find out about new black metal albums in lots of different places all over the internet and then go search for them on YouTube to check them out. You can even just search "black metal 2022" or whatever sub-genre you're looking for right on YT and see what comes up. You'd be surprised how many albums get posted to YT every day and are available to be sampled.

Thanks for the info. Think I'll subscribe to NGL as I do like some of that sort of content. I watch kayaking,  yoga, PT and other videos on YT so now that makes sense it gives you sidebars of other content. Like every joint discomfort I've had, I'll go and research rotator cuff or meniscus knee tear, or neck tightness or whatever and get a lot of that junk.  

The big value for me in on YT is delving into particular scenes, rather than new releases. If I click on a few Polish BM bands it starts serving me more Polish BM, or maybe I want to hear silly old US power metal, or Ethiopian jazz from the 70s, or whatever. It works better for me than following labels or channels because I'm often in the mood for a particular sound, so I can stick with something in the ballpark of whatever I'm vibing with at the moment. Following channels and labels doesn't really do much for me because it's such a mixed bag, both in terms of quality and what I'm in the mood for. And unfortunately I'm easily burned out; if I spend too much time with a couple mediocre albums, I'm less likely to have the mental energy to give a fair shake to the third thing I come across, no matter how good it is. Somebody with a higher threshold will undoubtedly find more good new releases than I do.

So plan of attack today: less Jameson, more ibuprofen. Or maybe more Jameson and more ibuprofen. Haven't decided yet. One day in and already in feet conservation mode.

Anywho, up today:

Mizmor

Blood Incantation

200 Stab Wounds 

Frozen Soul

Liturgy 

Bombers

At the Gates

Suicidal Tendencies 

Gatecreeper

Elder

Probably a dozen others as I wander around with my whiskey.

1 hour ago, navybsn said:

So plan of attack today: less Jameson, more ibuprofen. Or maybe more Jameson and more ibuprofen. Haven't decided yet. One day in and already in feet conservation mode.

Anywho, up today:

Mizmor

Blood Incantation

200 Stab Wounds 

Frozen Soul

Liturgy 

Bombers

At the Gates

Suicidal Tendencies 

Gatecreeper

Elder

Probably a dozen others as I wander around with my whiskey.

Dang, that's a pretty good lineup!

1 hour ago, navybsn said:

So first report out:

Indian - meh. Not my thing. I understand these guys were the hot ticket at one point.

Frozen Soul - not bad. Lead singer is a bit of a douche, but reasonably decent Bolt Thrower worship.

I think slow noisy sludgey doom is something I've really gotta be in just the right mood for. Especially live, I think it could get tedious pretty quick. Just dialed up their latest album and I'm already bored. Mark would probably love this.

So is Psycho Vegas an outdoor festival or an indoor festival or a little of both? I saw pictures of Emperor onstage this morning (from their performance last night I believe) and I couldn't tell if it was indoors or in a tent or where it was.

NP: Cosmic Psychos - Go the Hack

12 minutes ago, navybsn said:

So first report out:

Indian - meh. Not my thing. I understand these guys were the hot ticket at one point.

Frozen Soul - not bad. Lead singer is a bit of a douche, but reasonably decent Bolt Thrower worship.

Love the play by play Navy. I enjoyed an Indian album at one point-From All Purity-had to look it up-2014-should listen again-in fact maybe I'll YT 😆--it's been a minute-sludge/doom/noise/drone almost metallic HC kind of thing...yeah def more my style than yours. Speaking of such things, I'll be curious your thoughts on Miznor. I thought that dude didn't play live....