What Are You Listening To?

khaos

1 hour ago, KillaKukumba said:

20 best thrash in 20 years, even I'd probably pass at that. Way too many albums to listen to, way to many I haven't heard.

This is exactly the kind of craziness the GG thrives on. My madnesses are different but just as satisfying to me and inexplicable to others.

Mostly out of the loop recently, but so far today it's been:

Predatory Light - Death and the Twilight Hours. Good for a listen but I probably won't be back.

Desecresy - Unveil in the Abyss. Better than I expected. They are still unfuckwithable.

Vaamatar - Medievalgeist. Black with some death and punk flair. This is pretty awesome.

That Metal Sucks list isn't too bad I guess but is rendered stupid and void for leaving out Vektor - Terminal Redux. That album shits on everything on that list and that's just the end of that story. But I agree with GG that it would be awful hard to not have a bunch of blackened/black thrash on my list. Maybe I will take a crack at it though. 

Horror Story - Nights Embrace

David Allen Coe - I Dreamed About Mama Last Night

Deeds Of Flesh - Sounds Of Loud Reigns

Sons Of Perdition - Strangers in the Desert

Graveland - Call Of The Black Forest

Inebriation - Pig Raid

Eminem; Rihanna - Love the Way You Lie

Deicide - Death to Jesus

Sons Of Perdition - The Leper

Immortal - Sons Of Northern Darkness

Man With A Dog - State of Confusion

Electrozombies - Kill (to survive)

George Jones - The Same Sweet Girl

Morbid Angel - Day Of Suffering

Sons Of Perdition - Ascension

Isengard - Spectres Over Gorgoroth: Thy Gruesome Death

Nefarious - Farmboy vs Darkside

Hank Williams - I'm Sorry For You My Friend

Nile - Serpent Headed Mask

Sons Of Perdition - Song of Ruin

Satyricon - Du Som Hater Gud

Suicide Junkies - Weeping Wolf

Hank Williams - Six More Miles (To the Graveyard)

Death - Cosmic Sea

Dark Funeral - My Dark Desires

Hank Williams III - Mississippi Mud

4 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Can't pass up the chance to make a list mate, it's already the most fun I've had all week. When it's a closed circle of friends sharing lists it's really just a chance to see if anyone has any cool thrash records to bring to light that maybe the other guys haven't heard before. It's not supposed to be some kind of comprehensive all-encompassing list, we'll all just name 20 thrashy records that each of us dig. Or just like 20 thrashy records we keep going back to. Can't hold anyone responsible for missing the ones they've never heard.

And you're the resident thrash guy around here, no? Yours would be the list I'd be most interested to see because I can guarantee you'd have at least a few good ones I've never heard of before.  What does that mean anyway "way too many albums to listen to" what the fuck else do you have to do when you're not fixing some shit out in the barn, taking bricks to the tip or building lego bookshelves, but listen to thrash metal albums. That's already what you're doing most days anyway!! I'm the one that has to put all the black and death and crust on hold to switch over and concentrate on thrash.

I'm no stranger to lists, I usually do yearly lists, decade lists, band discography ranks etc. But the thought of going through 20 years of albums in one go and only making a list of 20 is a bit daunting. I haven't got lists of every year between 00 and 22, I've maybe done half of them, and I guess I could just pick my top one or two and then try and rank those but I'm sure that would still only be half a list. I remember doing my top 10 of the 90's and it was difficult to ignore some albums in favour of others, doing it for twenty years would be double the pain!

Not sure about me being the resident thrash guy, I do listen mainly to thrash but I think there is probably others here who pay closer attention to things than I do. When I do my Youtube Friday I find a lot of albums that I didn't know existed in the last 10-15 years. But I also listen to a lot of country music and Aussie pub rock so thrash isn't an exclusive thing for me. I also don't tend to listen to music while in the shed or workshop, I do listen in the tractor and in the ute but for me it's more a soundtrack to when I'm on the computer or sitting in the lounge doing SFA.

Don't take me so literally, I'm just taking the piss. Or busting your chops as we say on this side of the world. That second paragraph of mine that you quoted was meant to be tongue in cheek. Sorry if that wasn't clear. But don't worry, I hereby release you Killa Kukumba from the obligation you were never under to make me a thrash list. It was just supposed to be for fun anyway.

It's easy for me to throw together a thrash list in a day or two because thrash is not one of my main genres, so I'm not worried about missing anything or getting it right. I just look at a list like this as here's some albums I've gathered over the last 20 years that I happen to like and that are somewhat thrashy. I've already got my 40 down to 23 or 24 albums so I'm expecting to have my final 20 set sometime tomorrow night. But it's 5:30 in the morning so I should probably try to get some sleep now.

I realise that but I didn't want others thinking I was standing upon some mantle I don't belong on....they might want to knock me off!

I like doing lists, I've got lists of top metal albums from 1970 through to about 95 and probably from about '12-19. Some years I even broke down into genres. I've got lists for the 70's 80's and 90's. I've also probably got about 40 different band discography lists. I don't take lists as life and death, be all end all, type things and I also know that they change over time but I don't mind putting a bit of effort into them when I do them. But the wider the catchment the harder I find it. Narrowing down 10 metal albums from the 70's or 10 from the 80's was pretty fucking hard. I remember the 80's list having about 80 albums at first, some were easy to dump, but even with all the easy albums gone the list was still huge and hard to limit to 10.

If I had nothing else on I could probably rattle out something for the last 20 years in a few days but at the moment it's more of a daunting task due to all the other shit I have on. So it would probably take me a week or so and anything that takes that long feels like a job!

Guns N' Roses - Use Your Illusion I   ...I can't remember the last time I listened to this, but it was in the 90s.

It's always a great feeling when I go back to something after a really long time and feel like I'm hearing it with fresh ears, like my tastes have changed enough that I'm able to appreciate it in an entirely different way. 

That isn't happening here. Anyway, time to learn this song for the wedding.

"That isn't happening here." Hahaha

I liked GnR back in the late 80's. Truth be known we actually had their hit single Sweet Child O' Mine as our wedding song in 1988. But FA wasn't available that day so we used the record.

But I never bought the UYI set 30 years ago because I was pissed off that of the 4 songs I wanted, 2 were on I and 2 were on II. Didn't want to shell out for two albums to get 4 songs and all that filler. Now looking back I'm glad I only ever bought the debut because by the mid 90's GnR had fallen out of the rotation completely to put it politely. Nowadays I cringe when their songs come on TV or when I'm out in public. Or if not a full cringe they're at least good for a wince.

4 hours ago, KillaKukumba said:

I realise that but I didn't want others thinking I was standing upon some mantle I don't belong on....they might want to knock me off!

I like doing lists, I've got lists of top metal albums from 1970 through to about 95 and probably from about '12-19. Some years I even broke down into genres. I've got lists for the 70's 80's and 90's. I've also probably got about 40 different band discography lists. I don't take lists as life and death, be all end all, type things and I also know that they change over time but I don't mind putting a bit of effort into them when I do them. But the wider the catchment the harder I find it. Narrowing down 10 metal albums from the 70's or 10 from the 80's was pretty fucking hard. I remember the 80's list having about 80 albums at first, some were easy to dump, but even with all the easy albums gone the list was still huge and hard to limit to 10.

If I had nothing else on I could probably rattle out something for the last 20 years in a few days but at the moment it's more of a daunting task due to all the other shit I have on. So it would probably take me a week or so and anything that takes that long feels like a job!

With the time and energy you wasted writing all that complaining about how you don't have the time or energy to make a list, your list could have been halfway rattled out already Kukey. 

But I get it, I've never been any good at sticking to the agreed upon number of albums, I frequently allow my lists to run over rather than force myself to make those last few heart wrenching cuts. No self-discipline. And especially if it were a sub-genre I was actually passionate about like black metal I know I couldn't narrow it down to just 20 if my life depended on it.

1 hour ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

No self-discipline. And especially if it were a sub-genre I was actually passionate about like black metal I know I couldn't narrow it down to just 20 if my life depended on it.

Dude...you couldn't narrow down to the top 20 albums you liked in the last 5 minutes.

12 hours ago, Hungarino said:

That Metal Sucks list isn't too bad I guess but is rendered stupid and void for leaving out Vektor - Terminal Redux. That album shits on everything on that list and that's just the end of that story

It's Metalsucks...like some of the comments in that sections said, it's almost guaranteed they were left off because of the domestic abuse allegations. Rhombus is as much of an NPC as Axl and Vince ever were...and I'm not 100% convinced they don't still run that site, and just let Rhombus do the articles. Would explain why they're covering shit like the fucking Paramore tour announcement.

Critical Defiance - Misconception (thrash bordering on Death/Thrash from Chile)

GnR deserve their place as icons in the bygone era of MTV, hyperbolic excess and the preeminence of rock n' roll in pop culture. UYI was ridiculously ambitious and laid bare Axle Rose's pathos and flashes of genius. Poorly produced, and definitely full of cringeworthy sections, it still has some gems, lyrically and musically. And Axle was an undeniably superlative vocal talent and prolific and original song writer. For a time these still relatively young men were the most popular and successful rock and roll band on the planet, back when rock music was still the pinnacle of Western pop culture. They did the soundtrack for Terminator 2, Summer of 91', with a couple of those UYI songs, so if you lived through that era that should tell you everything you need to know. In summary, a talented and ambitious band that brought some life and attitude into a stale scene and clawed their way to the apex of American pop culture, at the apex of overall American power and influence world-wide. Maybe not the best, but the biggest and last of their kind.

Interestingly they were the 'hair' band grunge did not kill. I remember vividly as a teenager in 91' that it was perfectly ok to rotate between GnR, Metallica's black album, Soundgarden, Nirvana, Fugazi, etc. At least amongst my 'grunge' circle of friends. What killed them is the burn out and bloat from UYI. 

NP: Gene Loves Jezebel - Heavenly Bodies.

I needed a break from Thrash 'research' and really wanted to hear Sweet, Sweet Rain.

Urn - Iron Will of Power 2019, I loved Soul Destroyers from 14 years ago (can that be right?) but I don't think I had heard this before today. Getting a D666 Wildfire vibe from this one.

26 minutes ago, SurgicalBrute said:

Dude...you couldn't narrow down to the top 20 albums you liked in the last 5 minutes.

Et tu, Brute?

I'll have you know that in a mere 24 hours my list is down to 22 and I might just leave it there since it represents 22 years of black/thrash. Skumstrike is on the bubble because it's a 2022 release. Some people don't think you should list a new album as a top 20 of the decade because it hasn't had time to fully sink in and marinate. I disagree. 

Forbidden - Omega Wave (2010)

FORBIDDEN_Omega-Wave.jpg

The release of this album in 2010 was a surprise: I didn't believe it anymore!

And the first track I listened to, Forsaken at the Gates, made me think of a fabulous album.

Even if Russ Anderson's vocals have never been as aggressive as on this record, Omega Wave remains quite uneven over time. Moreover, it is a little too long.

However, Greg Locicero remains a great guitarist as well as a good composer and the drummer Mark Hernandez delivers a crazy energy.

We are still far from the majestic Forbidden Evil and Twisted into Form.

3 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I liked GnR back in the late 80's. Truth be known we actually had their hit single Sweet Child O' Mine as our wedding song in 1988. But FA wasn't available that day so we used the record.

But I never bought the UYI set 30 years ago because I was pissed off that of the 4 songs I wanted, 2 were on I and 2 were on II. Didn't want to shell out for two albums to get 4 songs and all that filler. Now looking back I'm glad I only ever bought the debut because by the mid 90's GnR had fallen out of the rotation completely to put it politely. Nowadays I cringe when their songs come on TV or when I'm out in public. Or if not a full cringe they're at least good for a wince.

I said I "hate" GnR earlier, but wincing and cringing is probably more accurate. I really liked them in the early 90s, they were part of the first wave of bands I got into under my own steam. I moved on pretty quickly, still enjoyed them for old times' sake for a few years, and then just got really sick of their shit. Maybe it's a testament to how much I listened to this stuff when it first came out that I can still basically sing along with 85% of it despite the fact that I haven't heard most of these tunes in over 20 years. Absolutely ridiculous proportion of filler to killer on these, and somehow lower energy than I remembered. "Civil War" still gets the juices flowing though.

I disagree with Hungo about the production - I think the recording and mix are great - but no doubt the bloat was a production mistake. They could never have gotten away with turning it into a 30-track double album if they hadn't been on top of the world.

NP: Gentle Giant - The Power And The Glory

4 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

With the time and energy you wasted writing all that complaining about how you don't have the time or energy to make a list, your list could have been halfway rattled out already Kukey. 

But I get it, I've never been any good at sticking to the agreed upon number of albums, I frequently allow my lists to run over rather than force myself to make those last few heart wrenching cuts. No self-discipline. And especially if it were a sub-genre I was actually passionate about like black metal I know I couldn't narrow it down to just 20 if my life depended on it.

How slow do you think I type? I'd have barely gotten to 2003!

I remember when they first announced GNR were going to release two albums rather than a double album, I thought it was a dash for cash rather than a larger offering to the fans. I still think that but they are far from the only band who tried it. I liked GNR enough to see them at probably the worst venue of all time under some of the most ridiculous of conditions ever, but I was younger and sillier back then. I still have their albums (up to UYI) but I can't remember the last time I listened to them and if the last song they released is anything to go by I wont be buying their next offering either.

Atrophy - Socialized Hate

Hey guys - have been a while.

Listening Allegaeon - Damnum again and I am amazed with the album. I really like it so much more than I should. All the dramatic clean singing and clean melodic musical parts should have me running right away but somehow they counterbalance amazingly well with the real harsh and fast death metal.

53 minutes ago, JohanV said:

Hey guys - have been a while.

Listening Allegaeon - Damnum again and I am amazed with the album. I really like it so much more than I should. All the dramatic clean singing and clean melodic musical parts should have me running right away but somehow they counterbalance amazingly well with the real harsh and fast death metal.

I think you and I are the only ones here who appreciate these guys. I enjoyed this album and since I'm about to head out for a run, I think I will re-visit it now.