What Are You Listening To?

khaos

On 7/13/2022 at 8:45 AM, JonoBlade said:

Yeah, that is kind of their thing: a band jamming live. But it is not like every song/riffs bleeds into the next. Each track has a distinct identity. 

But I would dare to say it is "easy listening" 

They are definitely good at what they do.. I think I prefer a slightly less progy and more psychedelic blues take on stoner jams like what Earthless do. 

Misfits/Vol. 2....hmmm better production and catchier than vol. 1...speaking of HC with adequate production....

Minor Threat/Complete Discography-all on one disc...really hit me this time how good the songs were...heavy, great melodies and riffy...was thinking it was somewhat metal and then I realized, nah.....just the influence MT had on extreme metal when metal merged with HC a la Motorhead and thrash....the influence MT had on grindcore and of course metalcore is pretty fucking obvious. 

Old Man Gloom - Seminar IX: Darkness of Being, 2020 Boston. Kinda crazy how a band featuring members of Converge, Doomriders, Cave In, and of course the Isis/Sumac dude Aaron Turner, all bands I cannot stand AT ALL, can come up with some strange & sludgey shit like this that I'm really quite enamoured with. 

OLD MAN GLOOM - Seminar VIII: Light of Meaning, 

2 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Hissing - Hypervirulence Architecture, dissonant death from Seattle that somehow manages to be catchy

I passed on this. Too low-fi from memory, or something. I might try it again.

37 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Old Man Gloom - Seminar IX: Darkness of Being, 2020 Boston. Kinda crazy how a band featuring members of Converge, Doomriders, Cave In, and of course the Isis/Sumac dude Aaron Turner, all bands I cannot stand AT ALL, can come up with some strange & sludgey shit like this that I'm really quite enamoured with. 

OLD MAN GLOOM - Seminar VIII: Light of Meaning, 

First Al DiMeola, and now this...OMG are a lot of fun though, but so are all their other bands that you hate. To me, anyway.

NP - ALBAN BERG - Lyric Suite. You know Berg. He was in that band with Schoenberg and Webern.

47 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

I passed on this. Too low-fi from memory, or something. I might try it again.

First Al DiMeola, and now this...OMG are a lot of fun though, but so are all their other bands that you hate. To me, anyway.

NP - ALBAN BERG - Lyric Suite. You know Berg. He was in that band with Schoenberg and Webern.

Yeah well I think we all know that I'm a knuckle-dragging, plebian, philistine as compared to your perspicacious (if maybe a tad supercilious) uber-refinedness. In other worlds lo-fi is often a plus in my book. To a point obviously. Hissing came recommended from a friend and I was a smidge surpised to find that I really enjoyed it. Not sure if it will be a purchase though. Didn't find it to be particularly lo-fi, but then I think it's clear that I'm not nearly as perspicacious and discerning as you Doc.

OMG is on my radar now, I did indeed find it to be a lot of fun so I will likely be digging into more of their catalogue a bit this weekend.

Berg, Schoenberg and Webern, yes the original Viennese power trio. Maybe you could explain the twelve tone system to me sometime Doc. Trying to wrap my head around the concept that "each of the twelve notes in a chromatic scale must be played before a note can be reused" is just making my brain hurt. I think I'm gonna need a 'palate cleanser' of straightforward rock now. 

Unida - Coping With the Urban Coyote, 1999

Orange Goblin - The Big Black, 2000, haven't listened to these guys in years

1 hour ago, KillaKukumba said:

Kill Grid is a good album, better than their debut.

https://www.metalsucks.net/2022/07/12/the-20-best-thrash-albums-since-the-turn-of-the-millennium/

Recommendation from a friend, Kuke. Someone posted a link to MetalSucks "20 Best Thrash Albums Since the Turn of the Millennium" list this morning and after we were done shitting all over their pathetic list someone suggested that we should each make own lists of our top 20 thrash albums of the new millenium.

Now many of us can't come up with 20 straight thrash metal albums from the last 22 years (at least I know I sure can't) without including black/thrash and death/thrash and blackened speed metal and stuff like that. So I doublechecked what the rules for this were going to be and they said speed metal, black/thrash whatever I want, it's all good just go for it. So then I started working up my first draft, scrolled through my MusicBee and typed down the names of about 40 albums that I can go back through and hopefully whittle down to 20 later.

A few hours later someone chimed in and said the best thrash these days is coming from the crossover sector. And so not quite sure what he meant I asked "What's the crossover sector? Gimme some examples." That person didn't respond back right away but Surge piped up and said Enforced. So I dialed up their latest Kill Grid and I thought hey this is pretty fucking good. So I guess the 'crososver sector' is what I'd call thrashy crust. Which is a bit different from what I think of as 80's crossover. Maybe it's just the modern production.

That particular Enforced album sounded more like death metal to me or death/thrash, I wouldn't consider it a true thrash metal album really. But the thrashiness did vary from track to track, and everyone has different ideas about what they call these things. As BaN pointed out I guess these lists will end up being more like the top 20 'thrashy' albums than a true top 20 thrash metal albums. I'm gonna try to weed out some of the speed metal so we don't get hung up arguing black/thrash vs blackened speed which can be really hard to know where to draw the line.

Front - Antichrist Militia 2020, this will surely be on my final list.

Amon Amarth - Runes To My Memory

Sons Of Perdition - Lenders in the Temple

Bathory - Of Doom

Cyclotrode X - We Want Blood

Bob Marley + Wailers - The Heathen

Agiel - The Kingdom Complete

Sons Of Perdition - Paying My Debts

Belphegor - Necrodaemon Terrorsathan

Dead City Rockers - The Dead Are Calling

Amanda Palmer - The Thing About Things

At The Gates - Slaughter Of The Soul

Evil Dead Crew - Fun Park

Sons Of Perdition - The Serpent

Burzum - Inn I Slottet Fra Droemmen

Anton Szandor Lavey - Softly, As In A Morning Sunrise

Bolt Thrower - Lest We Forgot

Sons Of Perdition - Night Passage

Darkthrone - The Dance of Eternal Shadows

G.F.N.R. - Fuck You

Bjork - Crying

Broken Hope - Dismembered Carcass

Sons Of Perdition - Profane the Night

Gorgoroth - Rage

Yeah bleak is where it's at man. But I can't do bleak tonight because I'm waist deep in compiling this thrash list. I feel like I've been snorting speed and drinking shots of espresso all day.

Nocturnal Witch - Summoning Hell, Germany 2014

Nocturnal - Unholycraft - Blood For Glory of Satan, Polish black metal 2006. Alright maybe just a little break from the thrash.

1 hour ago, Sardonicist said:

Dead City Rockers - The Dead Are Calling

Dead City Rockers - The Devil Plays Rot n Roll, 666 Aotearoa ☠️

30 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

20 best thrash in 20 years, even I'd probably pass at that. Way too many albums to listen to, way too many I haven't heard.

Can't pass up the chance to make a list mate, it's already the most fun I've had all week. When it's a closed circle of friends sharing lists it's really just a chance to see if anyone has any cool thrash records to bring to light that maybe the other guys haven't heard before. It's not supposed to be some kind of comprehensive all-encompassing list, we'll all just name 20 thrashy records that each of us dig. Or just like 20 thrashy records we keep going back to. Can't hold anyone responsible for missing the ones they've never heard.

And you're the resident thrash guy around here, no? Yours would be the list I'd be most interested to see because I can guarantee you'd have at least a few good ones I've never heard of before.  What does that mean anyway "way too many albums to listen to" what the fuck else do you have to do when you're not fixing some shit out in the barn, taking bricks to the tip or building lego bookshelves, but listen to thrash metal albums. That's already what you're doing most days anyway!! I'm the one that has to put all the black and death and crust on hold to switch over and concentrate on thrash.