What Are You Listening To?

khaos

Ramones-Hey! Ho! Let's Go: The Anthology-

I know I've debated some of you about the relative worth or not of anthologies, and I do have their classic early albums but like No Remorse for a mainlined adrenalized one and done two disc slap down, this track list- I think most would concede-delivers in spades. This attempts to anthologize all of their albums. Disc 1 is stronger which demonstrates how great their first five albums were-the only albums I've ever owned or in fact heard in their entirety ending with 1980's End of the Century. This and It's Alive are my go to's along with their first 3 for individual spins. But this fucker covers the bases for me as I tend to think of their early material as collections of singles-especially their first amazing 3 albums. 

No.    Title    Writer(s)    Original release    Length
1.    "Blitzkrieg Bop"    Tommy Ramone, Dee Dee Ramone    1976 ~ Ramones    2:14
2.    "Beat on the Brat"    Joey Ramone    1976 ~ Ramones    2:32
3.    "Judy Is a Punk"    Joey Ramone    1976 ~ Ramones    1:32
4.    "I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend"    Tommy Ramone    1976 ~ Ramones    2:27
5.    "53rd & 3rd"    Dee Dee Ramone    1976 ~ Ramones    2:20
6.    "Now I Wanna Sniff Some Glue"    Dee Dee Ramone    1976 ~ Ramones    1:37
7.    "Glad to See You Go"    Dee Dee Ramone, Joey Ramone    1977 ~ Leave Home    2:13
8.    "Gimme Gimme Shock Treatment"    Dee Dee Ramone, Johnny Ramone    1977 ~ Leave Home    1:44
9.    "I Remember You"    Joey Ramone    1977 ~ Leave Home    2:20
10.    "California Sun"    Henry Glover, Morris Levy    1977 ~ Leave Home    2:03
11.    "Commando"    Dee Dee Ramone, Johnny Ramone    1977 ~ Leave Home    1:54
12.    "Swallow My Pride" (Sire single version)    Joey Ramone, Dee Dee Ramone    1977 ~ Leave Home    2:07
13.    "Carbona Not Glue" (Previously only available on first LP pressings of Leave Home)    Tony Bongiovi, Tommy Ramone    1977 ~ Leave Home    1:53
14.    "Pinhead"    Joey Ramone, Johnny Ramone, Dee Dee Ramone, Tommy Ramone    1977 ~ Leave Home    2:44
15.    "Sheena Is a Punk Rocker" (Original ABC distributed single version)    Joey Ramone    1977 ~ Rocket to Russia    2:49
16.    "Cretin Hop"    Joey Ramone, Johnny Ramone, Dee Dee Ramone, Tommy Ramone    1977 ~ Rocket to Russia    1:58
17.    "Rockaway Beach"    Dee Dee Ramone    1977 ~ Rocket to Russia    2:08
18.    "Here Today, Gone Tomorrow"    Joey Ramone    1977 ~ Rocket to Russia    2:50
19.    "Teenage Lobotomy"    Tony Bongiovi, Tommy Ramone    1977 ~ Rocket to Russia    2:03
20.    "Surfin' Bird"    Carl White, Alfred Frazier, John Harris, Turner Wilson    1977 ~ Rocket to Russia    2:37
21.    "I Don't Care" (Sire single version)    Joey Ramone    1977 ~ Rocket to Russia    1:40
22.    "I Just Want to Have Something to Do"    Joey Ramone    1978 ~ Road to Ruin    2:43
23.    "I Wanna Be Sedated"    Joey Ramone    1978 ~ Road to Ruin    2:31
24.    "Don't Come Close"    Dee Dee Ramone, Joey Ramone, Johnny Ramone    1978 ~ Road to Ruin    2:46
25.    "She's the One"    Dee Dee Ramone, Joey Ramone, Johnny Ramone    1978 ~ Road to Ruin    2:15
26.    "Needles and Pins" (Sire remixed single version)    Sonny Bono, Jack Nitzsche    1978 ~ Road to Ruin    2:23
27.    "Rock 'n' Roll High School" (Ed Stasium Mix)    Johnny Ramone, Dee Dee Ramone, Joey Ramone    Rock 'n' Roll High School film    2:21
28.    "I Want You Around" (Ed Stasium Mix)    Dee Dee R. / Joey R. / Johnny Ramone    Rock 'n' Roll High School film    3:02
29.    "Do You Remember Rock 'n' Roll Radio?"    Dee Dee Ramone, Joey Ramone, Johnny Ramone    1980 ~ End of the Century    3:52
30.    "I Can't Make It on Time"    Dee Dee Ramone, Joey Ramone, Johnny Ramone    1980 ~ End of the Century    2:33
31.    "Chinese Rocks"    Dee Dee Ramone, Richard Hell    1980 ~ End of the Century    2:30
32.    "I'm Affected"    Joey Ramone    1980 ~ End of the Century    2:54
33.    "Danny Says"    Joey Ramone    1980 ~ End of the Century    3:06
Disc two
No.    Title    Writer(s)    Original release    Length
1.    "The KKK Took My Baby Away"    Joey Ramone    1981 ~ Pleasant Dreams    2:31
2.    "She's a Sensation"    Joey Ramone    1981 ~ Pleasant Dreams    3:26
3.    "It's Not My Place (In the 9 to 5 World)"    Joey Ramone    1981 ~ Pleasant Dreams    3:23
4.    "We Want the Airwaves"    Joey Ramone    1981 ~ Pleasant Dreams    3:22
5.    "Psycho Therapy"    Johnny Ramone, Dee Dee Ramone    1983 ~ Subterranean Jungle    2:39
6.    "Howling at the Moon (Sha–La–La)"    Dee Dee Ramone    1984 ~ Too Tough to Die    4:06
7.    "Mama's Boy"    Johnny Ramone, Dee Dee Ramone, Tommy Ramone    1984 ~ Too Tough to Die    2:12
8.    "Daytime Dilemma (Dangers of Love)"    Joey Ramone, Daniel Rey    1984 ~ Too Tough to Die    4:33
9.    "I'm Not Afraid of Life"    Dee Dee Ramone    1984 ~ Too Tough to Die    3:13
10.    "Too Tough to Die"    Dee Dee Ramone    1984 ~ Too Tough to Die    2:38
11.    "Endless Vacation"    Dee Dee Ramone, Johnny Ramone    1984 ~ Too Tough to Die    1:50
12.    "My Brain Is Hanging Upside Down (Bonzo Goes to Bitburg)" (UK 12" version)    Dee Dee Ramone, Joey Ramone, Jean Beauvoir    1986 ~ Animal Boy    3:57
13.    "Somebody Put Something in My Drink"    Richie Ramone    1986 ~ Animal Boy    3:23
14.    "Something to Believe In" (Sire single version)    Dee Dee Ramone, Jean Beauvoir    1986 ~ Animal Boy    4:09
15.    "I Don't Want to Live This Life (Anymore)"    Dee Dee R.    Originally issued as a B–side on the "Crummy Stuff" UK 12" single.    3:29
16.    "I Wanna Live"    Dee Dee R. / D. Rey    1987 ~ Halfway to Sanity    2:39
17.    "Garden of Serenity"    Dee Dee R. / D. Rey    1987 ~ Halfway to Sanity    2:28
18.    "Merry Christmas (I Don't Want to Fight Tonight)"    Joey R.    1989 ~ Brain Drain    2:05
19.    "Pet Sematary" (Sire single version)    Dee Dee R. / D. Rey    1989 ~ Brain Drain    3:34
20.    "I Believe in Miracles"    Dee Dee R. / D. Rey    1989 ~ Brain Drain    3:21
21.    "Tomorrow She Goes Away"    Joey R. / D. Rey    1992 ~ Mondo Bizarro    2:41
22.    "Poison Heart"    Dee Dee R. / D. Rey    1992 ~ Mondo Bizzaro    4:04
23.    "I Don't Want to Grow Up"    Tom Waits / Kathleen Brennan    1995 ~ ¡Adios Amigos!    2:46
24.    "She Talks to Rainbows"    Joey R.    1995 ~ ¡Adios Amigos!    3:14
25.    "R.A.M.O.N.E.S." (Bonus track from the Japanese edition of ¡Adios Amigos! with vocals by C. J. Ramone)    Lemmy / Würzel / Phil Campbell

I love the Ramones, would definitely put them in my top 10 favorite and most listened to bands of all time. As far as non-metal bands go they'd be my clear #1. And I think I do have all (or almost all) of their albums. But to be quite honest I generally only listen to the first 4 records, and the 10th. I have a Playlist saved with all my favorite Ramones songs, 90% of which are from their first 4 albums, '76 - '78 when I was in high school. The other 10% are taken from Halfway to Sanity, their 10th album from 1987. I just really love that album. Even though I have all their other albums too, I would be OK just owning the first 4 + H to S because that's the bulk of what I listen to. Which is not to say there's nothing worthwhile to be found on their other albums because there is. But when I get that Gabba Gabba Hey feeling it's always those 70's albums I crave: Ramones, Leave Home, Rocket to Russia, Road to Ruin. That comp of yours is missing too many wonderful and essential tunes. I don't see how you can get a real feel for a band like The Ramones with just a couple of songs from each album.

11 hours ago, Thatguy said:

OCCLITH - Gates, Doorways, and Endings. It's OK but I got bored before the end. And dudes, you do NOT need the comma after 'Doorways'.

Word always drives me mental highlighting this as an error when I don't add the comma.  Fuck you Microsoft and your inept grammar police!

NP: Cathedral - Forest of Equilibrium (1991)

13 hours ago, Thatguy said:

OCCLITH - Gates, Doorways, and Endings. It's OK but I got bored before the end. And dudes, you do NOT need the comma after 'Doorways'.

Yes Doc but I was taught that the comma before 'and' is optional. So it is not considered incorrect so much as it's just not necessary. I generally leave it out myself. Stop being more pedantic than I.

Also Doc, not to be a dick but while we're on the subject of grammar... the end punctuation (your final period/full stop there after 'Doorways.' for instance) is supposed to come inside of the quotation marks, not outside. A lot of people make that mistake though. I'd probably even say most people get that wrong.

And I guess I'd like to take the opportunity at this time to address the spelling and grammatically challeged among our ranks. 

There

Their

They're

Not looking to embarrass anyone by mentioning any names, but I implore you one and all: please learn the difference people and change your writing habits accordingly. It does my head in when I see people type 'there' when they actually meant to say 'their' or 'they're.' It's really not that complicated to keep the 3 of them straight. This has been a Goatmaster public service announcement. Rock on 🤘

2 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Also Doc, not to be a dick but while we're on the subject of grammar... the end punctuation (your final period/full stop there after 'Doorways.' for instance) is supposed to come inside of the quotation marks, not outside. A lot of people make that mistake though. I'd probably even say most people get that wrong.

Having commas and periods always inside the quotation marks is an American rule. British style guides differ. I find myself putting them outside unless the punctuation is part of the quote. The serial comma is another debatable one, more common here in the states. In the end a lot of those decisions come down to individual publishers' house styles.