What Are You Listening To?

khaos

I've been on a Mark Langegan binge this week.

Mark Lanegan/Blues Funeral-this alt rock meets blues album from 2012 has been a mainstay of my rock listening along with Dinosaur Jr, Earth, War on Drugs and a handful of indie/electronic/experimental artists like  Swans, Chelsea Wolfe, Julia Holter, Parquet Courts, Juliana Barwick, Kurt Vile, Speedy Ortiz, Tim Hecker, Ben Frost, Emma Ruth Rundle and Russian Circles among others in the 2000's. 

Mark Langegan/Gargoyle

QUOTSA/ songs for the Deaf w/ Lanegan 

Earth/ Primitive and Deadlhy w/ Lanegan guesting on a rare vocals track

Screaming Trees/ Uncle Anesthesia 

15 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

They're one of the very few bands who use dissonance/atonality in ways that I can make sense of. But MoRT is one I passed on because I knew I'd never want to listen to it ever again. Just dialed it up to refresh my memory. Don't find it adventurous or ominous or unsettling, just painfully boring.

Well, alrighty then, my friend. To each his own. Now if everyone else gives me their opinion of MoRT, I can plot a graph LOL

5 hours ago, markm said:

I've been on a Mark Langegan binge this week.

Mark Lanegan/Blues Funeral-this alt rock meets blues album from 2012 has been a mainstay of my rock listening along with Dinosaur Jr, Earth, War on Drugs and a handful of indie/electronic/experimental artists like  Swans, Chelsea Wolfe, Julia Holter, Parquet Courts, Juliana Barwick, Kurt Vile, Speedy Ortiz, Tim Hecker, Ben Frost, Emma Ruth Rundle and Russian Circles among others in the 2000's. 

Mark Langegan/Gargoyle

QUOTSA/ songs for the Deaf w/ Lanegan 

Earth/ Primitive and Deadlhy w/ Lanegan guesting on a rare vocals track

Screaming Trees/ Uncle Anesthesia 

I saw that he died recently, but I had never heard of the dude tbh. But then I Googled him and it hit me who the Screaming Trees were. I remember hearing their song on the radio back in the 90's "I Nearly Lost You" and liking it, but I had absolutely no idea who it was. Took me more than a few years to find out too, because every time I'd hear it I'd never seem to be paying attention when/if they'd say who it was. And then with me not being much of a radio listener by the 90's for obvious reasons I didn't really get to hear it all that often.

But at some point I did finally find out that it was some Seattle band called the Screaming Trees. I even picked up the record somewhere along the line but it never really did much for me. I believe I deleted it not too long ago in my big 2021 purge of all the crap that was languishing in my music folder than I never listened to. CD is probably buried in a box somewhere.

I'm so completely out of touch with 21st century rock music it's not even funny, are they even still making regualr rock music anymore these days? I didn't even recognize any of the names from your little list above there except for: Dino Jr, Swans, Russian Circles and Chelsea Wolfe. But of those 4 I only actually know what Ms Wolfe sounds like. I'm basically only familiar with the 'classic rock' bands from the 60's & 70's but I don't really like very much of that stuff. There are only a very small handful of bands and songs here and there that have stuck with me over the years. Most people assume because of my advanced age I guess that I must be a classic rock guy like most of my Boomer peers, but no, fuck that shit.

On 2/26/2022 at 4:17 PM, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I saw that he died recently, but I had never heard of the dude tbh. But then I Googled him and it hit me who the Screaming Trees were. I remember hearing their song on the radio back in the 90's "I Nearly Lost You" and liking it, but I had absolutely no idea who it was. Took me more than a few years to find out too, because every time I'd hear it I'd never seem to be paying attention when/if they'd say who it was. And then with me not being much of a radio listener by the 90's for obvious reasons I didn't really get to hear it all that often.

But at some point I did finally find out that it was some Seattle band called the Screaming Trees. I even picked up the record somewhere along the line but it never really did much for me. I believe I deleted it not too long ago in my big 2021 purge of all the crap that was languishing in my music folder than I never listened to. CD is probably buried in a box somewhere.

I'm so completely out of touch with 21st century rock music it's not even funny, are they even still making regualr rock music anymore these days? I didn't even recognize any of the names from your little list above there except for: Dino Jr, Swans, Russian Circles and Chelsea Wolfe. But of those 4 I only actually know what Ms Wolfe sounds like. I'm basically only familiar with the 'classic rock' bands from the 60's & 70's but I don't really like very much of that stuff. There are only a very small handful of bands and songs here and there that have stuck with me over the years. Most people assume because of my advanced age I guess that I must be a classic rock guy like most of my Boomer peers, but no, fuck that shit.

I wouldn't have known Lanegan's name either had it not been for one of those small little metal blogs somewhere that listed Blues Funeral as one of the non metal albums that got them through the year. I think it might have actually been a guest musician. But, yeah, I'm always on the lookout for an authentic singer songwriter or rock artist to round out my listening.  Or bands like Speedy Ortiz, White, Lung, Brutus, The Menzingers, bands with some element of pop punk or indie influences but in my mind are very much high energy guitar bands. 

I'll often check out end of year lists non metal artists. I know you don't frequent a lot of the little mom and pop -3 dudes hops and heavy metal-kind of small metal review sites but they'll often have a non metal or rock or punk or synth wave or whateves column.

I assume that's a big part of Chelsea Wolfe's fanbase. She's on some label called Sargent House who also represent Earth, Deafheaven, Russian Circles, Emma Ruth Rundle, Lingua Ignota and Brutus among others. These aren't really metal bands-a of those artists could be classified as post rock/metal or experimental rock or whatnot. None of them are on the radio. And many, if  not all of them get coverage in some metal media. That's the only way I've heard of any of them.

Chelsea Wolfe became a metal darling around 2013 with her album Pain is Beauty and I had people in the Headfi metal community say to me-you should listen to Chelsea Wolfe even though she's clearly not a metal artist in the least. Or they get attention on big platforms like Pitchfork, Stereogum or PopMatters all of whom provide some metal coverage but are obviously also big platform music or even culture blogs that cover a wide range of music. 

Speaking of not-really-metal artists-NP: Earth/The Bees Made Honey in the Lion's Skull-such a beautiful album. Earth are one of my favorite post 2000 metal adjacent bands-really crucial to my listening. I put them away for months and then come back and I'm always amazed at the quality of their music. Mostly instrumental and meditative, chill AF music. Great band. Bees is one of their best.   

20 minutes ago, Mynas said:

This band is showing up heavy with this new album, you guys should check the album out if you haven't 

Hey, we have a thread for new releases here:

Also, please post the artist and song or album title along with your Youtube links so the staff can try replace videos if Youtube takes them down.

Overkill - The Years of Decay, 1989, a lot of people rank this one pretty high in their discography, top 3 or top 5 but I can't because while there are several high points there's also quite a bit of filler here. The last 2 songs which make up the last 14 minutes of the album suck, and I fucking hate the song Elimination and the fact that it's a live staple with a passion.

Overkill - Horrorscope, 1991, was pretty bummed to learn that Bobby G had departed the band before the recording of this album in a dispute over money. But still it's my #2 behind only Taking Over.

5 hours ago, markm said:

Earth are one of my favorite post 2000 metal adjacent bands-really crucial to my listening.

I listen to Earth at least once a week. My favourite is Primitive and Deadly.

Today  - HEAVY META - Mana Regmata. Yep. I still like it.

EVIL - Studńa. Good stuff.

IMMOLATION - Acts of God. This was just what I expected. Solid, well crafted DM. Did I enjoy it? Yes, of course. Did it blow my mind? Unfortunately not.

On 2/26/2022 at 8:17 AM, GoatmasterGeneral said:

No ambient for me here thanks.

I thought my little joke was pretty droll but either no one read it but GG or no one got it...or it wasn't funny.

Earth - Primitive & Deadly, if I believed in the sky fairy I would have got down on my knees and called on him to bring me home to his sky palace of eternal tranquility rather than stay on this mortal plane to suffer through 47 minutes of this drone. Not that it's bad, for drone, I just don't have the patience for anything that unfolds this slowly and then delivers such an underwhelming payoff. Track 3 was by far the best one for me with the chick singing, at least her voice gave me something appealing and interesting to focus on. It was the only track I made it all the way through to the bitter end. Is this supposed to be meditation music or something? Should I have chosen a mantra?  Unsurprisingly, I found this background music nowhere near primitive enough nor deadly enough to suit me. And it's crying out absolutely begging for vocals. Would be so much better with vocals on every track. But I gave it a shot.

In the Company of Serpents - Ain-Soph Aur