What Are You Listening To?

khaos

11 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Perfectly cheesy. They were a local band for me coming up, used to play the NY & LI club circuit. I think I only saw them once at Hammerheads (an old department store in a strip mall that had been converted into a rock club) circa '81 before the albums came out, and once was enough. 

I always did like the song Under the Blade though. But just the song, that album as a whole is terrible, I just tried to listen to it to refresh my memory. The first two songs and I'll Never Grow Up were absolutely cringey, I was embarrassed for them. Run For Your Life and the tilte track were the only two I could get through. The best part about that album was it didn't haave We're Not Gonna Take It on there.

I think the difference is that I actually like juvenile bombast of bands like Twisted Sister, Anvil and WASP etc.  In fact to me it's a big part of the appeal of 1980s heavy metal.

Sepultura - Beneath The Remains

1 hour ago, True Belief said:

Absolutely agree

1 hour ago, Dead1 said:

I think the difference is that I actually like juvenile bombast of bands like Twisted Sister, Anvil and WASP etc.  In fact to me it's a big part of the appeal of 1980s heavy metal.

Sepultura - Beneath The Remains

Metal was fun when it didn't take itself too seriously. The second 2 have moments. The Beast is my all time favorite TS song, and We're not Gonna Take It has started more heavy metal journeys than we'll probably ever comprehend. A lot of it got way overplayed and hasn't held up well, but man it was good fun way back when.

NP: Starer - 18° Below the Horizon

9 minutes ago, Dead1 said:

Goatmaster Onslaught, Ritual Carnage, King's Evil, Sorecery - are you going all conventional on us?  

None of those fit your usual MO and I liked all of them so something is very strange (in fact Kiling Peace is one of my favourite modern albums).

Jan - Feb - March is usually when I take a little break from the hunt for new music and allow myself to listen to some more older stuff or at least not new releases from the current year.

Killing Peace I listened to tonight specifically because you mentioned the other day that it was one of the best comeback albums ever. I am completely infatuated by Power From Hell and 99 times out of 100 when I listen to Onslaught I will choose that one, so I figured it was time to shake things up a bit and pick another one. I had it already, I just rarely listen to it but it is indeed very good. Not Power From Hell good, but still pretty good.

That Sorcery album I listened to because their bass player and former drummer recently joined this forum and I realized I had never heard any of their more recent albums, I only knew the classic Bloodchilling Tales from '91. Turns out the newer albums are all excellent, I might have to grab all 3 of them.

Ritual Carnage & King's Evil I tend to think of like a set, they're both killer death/thrash from Japan, I discovered them both together in the late oughts when I joined the Amazon metal forum (where I originally met Marko & Surge) and I probably play them both together once or twice a year. 

Of course these selections all fit my MO, I promise I really do listen to more than just black metal. I don't post every single thing I listen to here on the board believe it or not. Some of the older stuff doesn't always get posted because I figure most people already know about it. But surely you've seen me post plenty of death metal and thrash before? I don't listen to very much classic 80's thrash like Megadeth or Metallica or Exodus these days, but black/thrash or death/thrash is still thrash in my book and is still of interest to me.

28 minutes ago, navybsn said:

Metal was fun when it didn't take itself too seriously.

Glad I'm not the only one who appreciates this.  

The Beast is an awesome song.

7 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Jan - Feb - March is usually when I take a little break from the hunt for new music and allow myself to listen to some more older stuff or at least not new releases from the current year.

Killing Peace I listened to tonight specifically because you mentioned the other day that it was one of the best comeback albums ever. I am completely infatuated by Power From Hell and 99 times out of 100 when I listen to Onslaught I will choose that one, so I figured it was time to shake things up a bit and pick another one. I had it already, I just rarely listen to it but it is indeed very good. Not Power From Hell good, but still pretty good.

That Sorcery album I listened to because their bass player and former drummer recently joined this forum and I realized I had never heard any of their more recent albums, I only knew the classic Bloodchilling Tales from '91. Turns out the newer albums are all excellent, I might have to grab all 3 of them.

Ritual Carnage & King's Evil I tend to think of like a set, they're both killer death/thrash from Japan, I discovered them both together in the late oughts when I joined the Amazon metal forum (where I originally met Marko & Surge) and I probably play them both together once or twice a year. 

Of course these selections all fit my MO, I promise I really do listen to more than just black metal. I don't post every single thing I listen to here on the board believe it or not. Some of the older stuff doesn't always get posted because I figure most people already know about it. But surely you've seen me post plenty of death metal and thrash before? I don't listen to very much classic 80's thrash like Megadeth or Metallica or Exodus these days, but black/thrash or death/thrash is still thrash in my book and is still of interest to me.

But usually you post things and it's got some sort of black metallishness to it and occassional really old stuff from 1970s so more conventional death/thrash seems out of character!  :D

Never heard those two Japanese bands but I did like them.  

1 hour ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

At the Gates - With Fear I Kiss the Burning Darkness

This is, at least to me, AtG’ best album

I wish it sounded better. It's one of the few albums where the mix truly makes it hard for me to enjoy. Red In The Sky is probably my pick as their "best". But I think there's some great stuff on Terminal Spirit Disease even if the songwriting is shaky, and I was pleasantly surprised by their newest one.

14 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

I wish it sounded better. It's one of the few albums where the mix truly makes it hard for me to enjoy. Red In The Sky is probably my pick as their "best". But I think there's some great stuff on Terminal Spirit Disease even if the songwriting is shaky, and I was pleasantly surprised by their newest one.

The production doesn’t bother me so much, Red in the Sky is good too though. Must admit haven’t followed them post-SotS

51 minutes ago, JamesT said:

From the phenomenal album "Jugulator"!!  Probably the most underrated album in their entire catalog.  Ripper did a superb job on that one.

Couldn’t agree more! It’s a top 10 album for me and possibly my fave priest album. I love all Ripper’s work with Priest though I own both studio albums and the two live albums. And of course my pf pic is the Jugulator, (As if it wasn’t obvious!! 😂)

17 minutes ago, H34VYM3T4LD4V3 said:

Couldn’t agree more! It’s a top 10 album for me and possibly my fave priest album. I love all Ripper’s work with Priest though I own both studio albums and the two live albums. And of course my pf pic is the Jugulator, (As if it wasn’t obvious!! 😂)

Yes sir!  Great profile pic.  Of the albums with Halford, I'd say "Ram it Down" is the most underrated.  Love that album to death, especially the 1-2 punch the album begins with.  

My 5 favorite bands of all time are:  PanterA, Overkill, Crowbar, Judas Priest, and AC/DC

ROCK ON!!

There used to be one very successful artist in Sweden who was really popular throughout his life until 1997, who was called Ted Gärdestad, and he wrote a lot of really beautiful melodies (his brother Kenneth Gärdestad wrote the lyrics), and this is one of my favourite songs with him so far - it always makes a huge impact on me: