What Are You Listening To?

khaos

Green Lung - Black Harvest

These guys got band of the year in the Totalrock newsletter, which somehow I still get despite never having listened to an internet radio station ever. Malcom Dome was one of the guys that set it up. 

Anyhow, I bought the latest album without even hearing it (interestingly I had an old album of theirs in my bandcamp wishlist but it never converted to a purchase).

Sounds good. Vocals are a bit like hearing Ozzy for the first time - not really sure about that guy, I thought to myself. It should be fun live....

....and they are playing my local pub a week from now! I mention this in an effort to shame myself into actually going. It has been over two years since I've been to a gig.

30 minutes ago, JonoBlade said:

Green Lung - Black Harvest

These guys got band of the year in the Totalrock newsletter, which somehow I still get despite never having listened to an internet radio station ever. Malcom Dome was one of the guys that set it up. 

Anyhow, I bought the latest album without even hearing it (interestingly I had an old album of theirs in my bandcamp wishlist but it never converted to a purchase).

Sounds good. Vocals are a bit like hearing Ozzy for the first time - not really sure about that guy, I thought to myself. It should be fun live....

....and they are playing my local pub a week from now! I mention this in an effort to shame myself into actually going. It has been over two years since I've been to a gig.

Hey Jon, that was definitely a band that got on a number of above ground lists as I'm sure you know as an insider-haha. I thought it was pretty good but took a pass on purchasing. See, I do actually say no from time to time. It's a fun listen tho.

28 minutes ago, markm said:

Hey Jon, that was definitely a band that got on a number of above ground lists as I'm sure you know as an insider-haha. I thought it was pretty good but took a pass on purchasing. See, I do actually say no from time to time. It's a fun listen tho.

I was generally aware of Green Lung, but more motivated by liking to support a local-ish band that is coming through town.

Which reminded me, since its BC Friday, I finally got a Conan album. I am sitting wearing a Conan t-shirt and wear it for weeks on end....but never bought one of their albums (!) even after seeing them live (I'm guessing 2019) at the local pub.

Doubtful I will get a Green Lung t-shirt. It screams stoner and that just seems in-approps with a 12 year old.  

NP; Conan - Existential Void Guardian

4 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Cryptospital - The Epitome of Dystopia

Nice. Quite liked the first one. Will have to check this out today along with @MarkhantonioYeatts's space black metal comp.

Re: Green Lung. I'm with you @markm. Enjoyable listen but not a purchase. I would definitely go see them if they came through town, but hell I'll go see just about anyone that's halfway decent. We get so few shows in town that we have to take what we can get. Most shows we have to travel 3-5 hours for although I've seen a significant uptick in death-core shows coming to the next town over (45 min-1 hr away). Nothing worth traveling over, but maybe it will bring some more action this way.

@JonoBlade, thanks for the reminder on bc Friday. I've got quite a bit in my wishlist I've been holding on to for when they restarted the Friday thing.

This morning:

Rush - All the World's a Stage

Rush - Grace Under Pressure: 1984 Tour

On 2/4/2022 at 7:13 AM, JonoBlade said:

I was generally aware of Green Lung, but more motivated by liking to support a local-ish band that is coming through town.

Doubtful I will get a Green Lung t-shirt. It screams stoner and that just seems in-approps with a 12 year old.  

I'm finding the long sleeve very tasteful, don't think it screams stoner at all.

2 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Jernved - Stormvarsel Demo, Denmark, no digital you have to email the band for a tape, but it would have been a purchase.

Gespenst - Den Sidste Færd, Denmark, totally forgot to put this one on my list.

.....in honour of you putting GORGON and OSSUAIRE on your Best Music of 2021 list......

OSSUAIRE - Triumvirat

GORGON - Traditio Satanae

.....just disappointed you didn't have any DM or punkrock on your list.....

1 hour ago, markm said:

Even I like this album-hooray for me

I had this Gorgon album ranked quite highly earlier in the year, and then at some point I stared second guessing myslef and wondering if maybe it sounded too comercial and too basic to deserve a top 20 spot. But in the end I realized that I really fucking liked the damn record and I should probably stop overthinking things and just rank it where I felt it belonged.

5 hours ago, MarkhantonioYeatts said:

...just disappointed you didn't have any DM or punkrock on your list.....

Well to be fair I did post my death metal list on the Listmania thread several weeks ago, and I believe that list contained no less than 23 death metal and black/death albums.

As for the punk rock well I'm not sure if I really had a massive amount of punk rock from 2021. It seems to take me longer to find the punk stuff on my own and it always seems like I'm finding more punk based stuff from previous years than the current year. I will say that 2 Headed Dogs album that I got from you deserved a high spot on my year end list, I played the ever-loving shit out of that one all year long. But I guess that's the flaw in my separate sub-genres list format, I don't have enough punk albums to make an entire list of just punk so it gets left out. And quite honestly I get a large percentage my punk based stuff from you anyway my friend, so I was kinda counting on you to make a year end list and include all the coolest punk stuff for me. I'm not always sure where to draw the line between death or black metal and crust/punk/grind anyway, so a lot of the punkier black metal I find gets swept up along witht the rest of the black metal, I don't separate it. Deffinitely have much love for the punkier end of the black and death metal spectrums though.

Scrolling down my MusicBee I see there were several stand outs from the punk side of things which I managed to grab this year....

2 Headed Dogs - The Engine is On

Ogro - Ogro

Iron Lizards - Hungry for Action

Mist of Doom - Night

World In Ruins - In Misery

Downwinder - S/T

Cruel Master - Repeat Offender

La Peste - Humanity is the Plague

Hungry Wölf - Forgotten Frozen Lands

The Grail - Black Craft

NP-40 Watt Sun/Behind My Eyes (2022)-classified as doom but it's very beautiful and mellow, with an acoustic-like-Americana sound to my ears-that makes me think of some of Panopticon's non metal passages-ultimately a reflective gentle singer songwriter feel. I have two earlier albums, The Inside Room and Wider Than The Sky. This was the direction he was going into-minimal confessional somber music.  No metal here so far. This is gorgeous stripped down sad boy gentle minimalistic rock. In fact, Bandcamp tag-alternative. I like it at first blush

Wiegedood is a potential winner for me as well.