What Are You Listening To?

khaos

Convocation - Scars Across
One for BAN, True Belief, and Relentless, methinks. Deeaaaath dooooom. Full stream here:   http://www.toiletovhell.com/convocation-stream/
Fuck, that sounded good too. Not sure what the reviewer is hearing in his comparisons, it just sounds like a doomed out Desolate Shrine to me. Not that I'm complaining of course, but I didn't hear any dISEMBOWELMENT or Thergothon at all.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

36 minutes ago, BlutAusNerd said:

3 songs in, and fuck yes, this is stellar. I never put off listening to it for any reason, but this needs to be in my life. Damn, those melodies were incredible.

It's sort of like Non Serviam's more polite older brother. Glad to hear you enjoyed it. That album helped spark my interest in writing music. It was a faith grab, although I knew the guy at the record store and he was kind enough to open it and let me preview it there. I still remember the thrill of the first few notes and drum hits coming through those record store headphones.

48 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

It's sort of like Non Serviam's more polite older brother. Glad to hear you enjoyed it. That album helped spark my interest in writing music. It was a faith grab, although I knew the guy at the record store and he was kind enough to open it and let me preview it there. I still remember the thrill of the first few notes and drum hits coming through those record store headphones.

'Triarchy of the Lost Lovers' is indeed an excellent album, but one, to my shame, that I do not own. Great album title too.

Are you into the next two albums, 'A Dead Poem' and 'Sleep of Angels'? Fairly similar template to 'Triarchy' but even more on the 90s Woodhouse Studios gothic path. The three albums seem to go together really well sonically and stylistically. 

Now Playing: Rotting Christ - 'Kata Ton Daimona Eaftou

I'm not saying I believe in the supernatural per se, but this album and 'Rituals' really channels the dark spirits. It's the chugging, chanting, whispering, incantating, and almost catatonic rhythms. I virtually never get this feeling from other bands. It taps into something primal within us all. 

10 minutes ago, Requiem said:

'Triarchy of the Lost Lovers' is indeed an excellent album, but one, to my shame, that I do not own. Great album title too.

Are you into the next two albums, 'A Dead Poem' and 'Sleep of Angels'? Fairly similar template to 'Triarchy' but even more on the 90s Woodhouse Studios gothic path. The three albums seem to go together really well sonically and stylistically. 

Sad to say that I'm not. The gothic elements of "A Dead Poem" turned me off in a big way. It was very much not what I was looking for at the time, which might seem odd since I was finding an appreciation for classic goth rock around then, but that was right around when new releases by some of my other favorite bands were losing me (Dark Tranquillity, MDB) and I think it all seemed like a big conspiracy of suckage. But that was also the year I discovered Opeth and started getting into black metal. To be fair I haven't listened to either of those RC albums since around when they were released, and I'd be happy to revisit them with fresh ears.

Now Playing: Rotting Christ - 'Kata Ton Daimona Eaftou
I'm not saying I believe in the supernatural per se, but this album and 'Rituals' really channels the dark spirits. It's the chugging, chanting, whispering, incantating, and almost catatonic rhythms. I virtually never get this feeling from other bands. It taps into something primal within us all. 
Those tracks did have a cool anthemic quality live. Some dickhead on RYM tried to call their modern releases "arena black metal", but I'll take that over bedroom black metal any day. Riffs > Transylvanian Hunger worship.

5 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Sad to say that I'm not. The gothic elements of "A Dead Poem" turned me off in a big way. It was very much not what I was looking for at the time, which might seem odd since I was finding an appreciation for classic goth rock around then, but that was right around when new releases by some of my other favorite bands were losing me (Dark Tranquillity, MDB) and I think it all seemed like a big conspiracy of suckage. But that was also the year I discovered Opeth and started getting into black metal. To be fair I haven't listened to either of those RC albums since around when they were released, and I'd be happy to revisit them with fresh ears.

There was definitely a conspiracy going on with that style of gothic metal. I just don’t think ‘A Dead Poem’ (another great title) is all that far from ‘Triarchy’. 

5 hours ago, BlutAusNerd said:

Those tracks did have a cool anthemic quality live. Some dickhead on RYM tried to call their modern releases "arena black metal", but I'll take that over bedroom black metal any day. Riffs > Transylvanian Hunger worship.

To be fair it works great in an arena, but I think there’s still a strong artistic and philosophical mien that makes the music genuine and moving. 

3 hours ago, Requiem said:

Wow, cool. Anything about it that made you connect with it over the others?

Their earlier stuff I find too thin and just weak all round, their symphonic attempts have also seemed more than a little pompous and yet also disjointed at the same time.  This feels much more coherent and less forced.  I feel a narrative here on each song as opposed to just "some bits of music thrown together" and getting called a "track".

To be fair it works great in an arena, but I think there’s still a strong artistic and philosophical mien that makes the music genuine and moving. 
It does, but using that as a disparaging term kind of bothered me. It's almost as though many black metal fans hate riffs, which doesn't make sense to me. They want it to sound unlistenable and sloppy, despite only featuring a couple of chord changes, and anything with actual production value is too big for them. That's the stereotype of black metal from people who know nothing about the genre, but these dipshits fall right into it.

At the end of the day, if they want to keep their low quality 5th rate Darkthrone ripoff music made by "artists" that will never leave outside of their parents basement, they can be my guest. I'll keep the riffs.

31 minutes ago, BlutAusNerd said:

It does, but using that as a disparaging term kind of bothered me. It's almost as though many black metal fans hate riffs, which doesn't make sense to me. They want it to sound unlistenable and sloppy, despite only featuring a couple of chord changes, and anything with actual production value is too big for them. That's the stereotype of black metal from people who know nothing about the genre, but these dipshits fall right into it.

At the end of the day, if they want to keep their low quality 5th rate Darkthrone ripoff music made by "artists" that will never leave outside of their parents basement, they can be my guest. I'll keep the riffs.

Riffy black metal is usually really good, from my own experience. 

1 hour ago, BlutAusNerd said:

Most of these people are probably just looking to create an image for themselves rather than find genuine artistic expression.  However, I think that you bring up and interesting point about riffs.  I guess it just depends on the sound you feel like listening to and the role that the guitars are meant to play in the music.  Riffs get much more important if the guitar is meant to be the lead.  However, some bands, like Paysage d'Hiver (at least what I have heard) make the guitars take a more atmospheric rhythmic role while synths and vocals take the lead.  His guitar work consisted (to my ears) of only a few simple chord changes, however, it was nevertheless good in the context.

Rotting Christ - A Dead Poem   ...I don't hate this anymore but I do see why it turned me off. Similar pacing, sound, and song structure to "Triarchy" but more streamlined. I miss the complexity and idiosyncratic nature of the melodies and harmonies on "Triarchy" and "Non Serviam"; despite the obvious progression from the last album, most of the parts on here sound like they could have been written by anybody.

Most of these people are probably just looking to create an image for themselves rather than find genuine artistic expression.  However, I think that you bring up and interesting point about riffs.  I guess it just depends on the sound you feel like listening to and the role that the guitars are meant to play in the music.  Riffs get much more important if the guitar is meant to be the lead.  However, some bands, like Paysage d'Hiver (at least what I have heard) make the guitars take a more atmospheric rhythmic role while synths and vocals take the lead.  His guitar work consisted (to my ears) of only a few simple chord changes, however, it was nevertheless good in the context.
I've always preferred my music to be guitar driven I guess. I can see why others might favor vocal or synth focus, but the guitars are what brought me into metal and have to be done right for me to enjoy it. There are some exceptions of course, but by and large, the music I favor is all about tasty riffs.

40 minutes ago, BlutAusNerd said:

I've always preferred my music to be guitar driven I guess. I can see why others might favor vocal or synth focus, but the guitars are what brought me into metal and have to be done right for me to enjoy it. There are some exceptions of course, but by and large, the music I favor is all about tasty riffs.

It depends on what I feel like listening to.  It is hard not to like good riffs.  Both can be good, both can be bad, and both have their place.

Iron Bonehead sampler Volume IV

Some of the stuff on this comp is mediocre, especially for a label that is garnering quite the reputation. However, there are some great songs on here as you get a bit deeper into it. Really enjoying Deathcult, Front Beast, Horn, Possession, and Light of the Morning Star.

1 hour ago, BlutAusNerd said:

Iron Bonehead sampler Volume IV

Some of the stuff on this comp is mediocre, especially for a label that is garnering quite the reputation. However, there are some great songs on here as you get a bit deeper into it. Really enjoying Deathcult, Front Beast, Horn, Possession, and Light of the Morning Star.

I was listening to a couple of Hell's Headbangers compilations, they have 6 available for free on their site. From what I've heard there is mainly Zemial, Profanatica, Destroyer 666, Midnight and Acid Witch, but overall those comps are all pretty good. I'm also waiting to receive a package from them, hopefully will come within a few weeks (there is a limited offer, and you can choose 10 CDs and a couple of stickers for a decent price)

I was listening to a couple of Hell's Headbangers compilations, they have 6 available for free on their site. From what I've heard there is mainly Zemial, Profanatica, Destroyer 666, Midnight and Acid Witch, but overall those comps are all pretty good. I'm also waiting to receive a package from them, hopefully will come within a few weeks (there is a limited offer, and you can choose 10 CDs and a couple of stickers for a decent price)

I like all of those bands you mentioned, they tend to be a solid label, but don't always specialize in what I'm into. It seems like some of the raw/bestial black metal they sign is more about style than substance, but they certainly have a good business model. I've ordered from them before and been really happy with their service. Is this deal they're doing on anything on their site, or just select titles?

1 minute ago, BlutAusNerd said:

I like all of those bands you mentioned, they tend to be a solid label, but don't always specialize in what I'm into. It seems like some of the raw/bestial black metal they sign is more about style than substance, but they certainly have a good business model. I've ordered from them before and been really happy with their service. Is this deal they're doing on anything on their site, or just select titles?

Nope, it's just select titles. But most of them are quite good, there is even Manilla Road. 

Nope, it's just select titles. But most of them are quite good, there is even Manilla Road. 
Good intel, I'll check it out. My friend Erik has been indirectly subsidizing my online purchases, so I've gone a little nuts lately, but I'm not complaining. I was planning on doing a Crucial Blast order next and then a Dark Descent order, but those might have to wait now...