What Are You Listening To?

khaos

15 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

You done messed up GG Man, of course Sydney doesn’t feel like Oz. Nice find on the Sri Lankan BM by the way

Sydney is about as Australian as Mumbai, Manila and Singapore are.

Though Melbourne is becoming that way.  Last time I was there the main two languages I heard were Chinese and Indian.  Even signs on buildings outside of China Town were often in Chinese, especially real estate ones.

36 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Really, dude? What language is that?

Hindi technically.  To be fair I was treating term "Indian" as catch all for all of the langauges in Indian sub continent including Sri Lankan (Tamil and the other one whose name I forget) Bangaldeshi (Bengali) languages.

Kind of like saying Slavic langauges (Polish, Russian, Setbo-Croatian, Czech etc).

I don't speak any  and they all sound similar.

Chinese is a bit more obvious and even a non speaker can kind of tell difference between Mandarin and Cantonese (thank you Chinese movies).

On 5/20/2023 at 10:24 AM, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I can certainly understand that. Unfortunately eclecticity doesn't really work for me as well as it might for some others. But I imagine it's gotta be more interesting than straight thrash all the time as well. But just like you don't only listen to thrash, Blivvie and I don't just listen to and post black metal. I do have days or even weeks when I'm just wanting nothing but black metal, usually in the winter when it's cold and grey outside. But even in the winter that's not every day. I should probably mention that there is already far more variance even just within black metal than you get with most other sub-genres. With black metal you really get like 10 sub-genres in one. But I'm sure that will be dismissed by anyone who's predisposed to disike black metal.

I guess when I listen to other stuff I don't always post it because either I'm not at the computer or it's some older stuff I've listened to many times and maybe I've posted before that I don't feel the need to highlight repeatedly. And the effect it has on me when I listen to other stuff for a bit and then go back to the black and death metal is the black and death metal will sound that much heavier, that much better to me when I go back to it. It's like coming home and having sex again for the first time after some time away on the road. Almost like you need that little break now and then when you've built up a tolerance and become a bit numb to something so you can experience it fresh again.

But I'm sure it could seem sometimes just from reading my posts as if I listen to nothing but black metal. I guess black metal oten excites me more than other sub-genres so when I come across something good that's new to me I'm more likely to want to share. And I have no hard evidence that anyone's reading or appreciating my black metal recos, but I do like to imagine that there are lurkers out there who are desperate for black metal recos and I'm providing some sort of a public service.

But I could be wrong, I coud be posting these black metal videos just for myself and the rest of you could be rolling your eyes. Especially lately when my comrades Navy and Zach and Marko and Surge and Hungarino and even Marky Mark don't seem to come around very much (if at all) anymore. And most of these new people that sign up seem to be mainstreamers and metalcore fans who post two or three times then vanish. But what can you do?

Hey GG, 'preciate the shout out and to TG, Dead, Jon and everyone else, ya, I've been checking in pretty rando, been in full blown WW Kayak mode, late 50's in years, it's now or never to kick it up a notch before my body totally falls apart. Luv you guys. Keep it heavy. I'll be baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.

Prolly like you said later in the year and when it's getting cold and dark with shorter days and my outlook is bleak and pessimistic about the human condition, holed up in my classroom neck deep in student reports thirsty and miserable,  I'll be ready for a new platter of extreme metal, doom, wanky existential dread post metal,  sludge and crusty sheeit to express my seething hate....not really, you know I'm a lover. But the weather is nice now. Good motorhead weather. 

I've been listening to a little some CDs purchased a few  years ago, not in uber heavy mood-

• Waste of Space Orchestra
  • Enslaved/Utgard
  • Motorhead/Iron Fist and Bastards
  • Rainbow/Rising
  • Hooded Menace/The Tritonus  Bell
  • Spelljammer-Abyssal Trip-a recent fav stoner doom platter not unsurprisingly from Swedish doomsters 
  • Scorpions-Virgin Killer and Blackout
  • Wayfarer-A Romance with Violence
  • Dream Unending-Tide Turns Eternal
  • Swans-Love of Life

Sadly no Alive or Just Breathing for the new metalcore posters. Roarrrr

Shadows Ground - Echo in Eternity, 8th album from these Ukranians, never heard of them before. But I like it. I wonder with these Ukranian bands what must it be like to make an album in the middle of an all out war? With your country's power grid in shambles. How do you just carry on with your life as if everything were normal? 

Listening to tracks from a local band called Distillery.  Album is called Evergreen.

Heavy metal/hard rock. A ton of 1970s vibes (Led Zeppelin) mixed with 1990s alternative rock vibes (Soundgarden) and very occasionally reminiscent of Iron Maiden circa Fear of the Dark or Brave New World.

3 hours ago, Thatguy said:

RORCAL - Myrra, Mordvynn, Marayaa. What a great band. I think there could be a new album this year.

MIDNIGHT OIL - Place Without A Postcard. Just pips 10,9, 8...as my favourite.

NP - BLOODMIST - Arc

Where's Al the Orca? 

Shhhhhhh! Don't jinx it man, he'll hear you and then come see what you want.

Pips?

Rorcal - Myrra, Mordvynn, Marayaa, Switzerland 2008. Nice and heavy but a little too slow and plodding for me I think. And now I'm hearing the dreaded postiness. Sounds like a more clumsy heavy handed Neurosis. Mark would probably like this though maybe. Shit, 74 minutes, let's see how far I get before I just can't take it anymore.

EDIT: Was just about ready to bail on it but then track 4 turned out to be really good, so I stayed a bit longer. Think I made it about 45 minutes before I ultimately got bored with it and put on something else.

4 hours ago, Dead1 said:

Demonic Incarnate - Abyssal Sermons of Devastation

Cavernous death metal. Some really solid riffage.

Nice find, 4-track 25 minute EP from Germany for €3EUR/$3.23US ($5AUD). I'm a sucker for the caverncore. After more than a decade of collecting this stuff a lot of it can start to sound quite similar, even I'll agree with that. But still I'm all but powerless to resist this cavernous niche of death metal if it's well done or sometimes even if it's barely above average. When the weather warms up a bit more and black metal is no longer the law I'll be searching high and low for stuff just like this. 

Flesh Megalith - Beneath the Rot, cavernous death from some unknown location down under. Could be Melbourne, could be Perth, could be Wagga Wagga they're not saying. The Demonic Incarnate brought to mind last week's filthy cavernous discovery I've been meaning to spend some time with.