What Are You Listening To?

khaos

7 hours ago, AlSymerz said:

It's the almost eclectic variance in posts that makes Doc's more interesting to me than straight BM all the time.

I can certainly understand that. Unfortunately eclecticity doesn't really work for me as well as it might for some others. But I imagine it's gotta be more interesting than straight thrash all the time as well. But just like you don't only listen to thrash, Blivvie and I don't just listen to and post black metal. I do have days or even weeks when I'm just wanting nothing but black metal, usually in the winter when it's cold and grey outside. But even in the winter that's not every day. I should probably mention that there is already far more variance even just within black metal than you get with most other sub-genres. With black metal you really get like 10 sub-genres in one. But I'm sure that will be dismissed by anyone who's predisposed to disike black metal.

I guess when I listen to other stuff I don't always post it because either I'm not at the computer or it's some older stuff I've listened to many times and maybe I've posted before that I don't feel the need to highlight repeatedly. And the effect it has on me when I listen to other stuff for a bit and then go back to the black and death metal is the black and death metal will sound that much heavier, that much better to me when I go back to it. It's like coming home and having sex again for the first time after some time away on the road. Almost like you need that little break now and then when you've built up a tolerance and become a bit numb to something so you can experience it fresh again.

But I'm sure it could seem sometimes just from reading my posts as if I listen to nothing but black metal. I guess black metal oten excites me more than other sub-genres so when I come across something good that's new to me I'm more likely to want to share. And I have no hard evidence that anyone's reading or appreciating my black metal recos, but I do like to imagine that there are lurkers out there who are desperate for black metal recos and I'm providing some sort of a public service.

But I could be wrong, I coud be posting these black metal videos just for myself and the rest of you could be rolling your eyes. Especially lately when my comrades Navy and Zach and Marko and Surge and Hungarino and even Marky Mark don't seem to come around very much (if at all) anymore. And most of these new people that sign up seem to be mainstreamers and metalcore fans who post two or three times then vanish. But what can you do?

Truth is though my listening habits have undergone a transformation over this past year or so. I've fallen into this new routine where for some reason I'm spending much more time with music I already know and love and a lot less time hunting for new releases. Not sure how this has happened because I've been kinda wanting to move in this direction for awhile, but had been unable to tear myself away from the lure of the constant hunt for new music. But now this year I can sometimes let myself go a week or two or even longer without hunting in earnest, and it's been very liberating. Last night for instance I told myself it's OK to have a Killing Joke marathon and not take up the hunt for any new black metal. Tonight I'll probably revisit that Concilium from Portugal as it's the best new thing I've discovered recently.

Right now though the kid is telling me dad I'm hungry and I don't know what to eat, and even if I did I'd be too lazy to make it for myself. So I guess my presence is required in the kitchen area.

1 hour ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Were we ever this young Doc?

I have some old photos that suggest I was, and I did have a beard like the dude second from right (but red brown) but I still doubt it.

1 hour ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

he hates Perth with a passion.

You can't hate Perth. You can laugh at it, condescend to it, treat it with disdain, but life's too short to hate it.

On 5/18/2023 at 5:47 PM, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Pa Vesh En - Martyrs

Ok, this one is the real deal. Puts that Impetuous Ritual in a different light. 

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

I have some old photos that suggest I was, and I did have a beard like the dude second from right (but red brown) but I still doubt it.

You can't hate Perth. You can laugh at it, condescend to it, treat it with disdain, but life's too short to hate it.

I have been a couple times and found it perfectly splendid. A better version of San Diego, to be honest. A gem of a city, nicer than 99% across the world, but in Oz just a silly place that is ok to poke fun at. You guys are living in a fantasy land.

Don't worry, we will help you expel the PRC, just save me a spot near the beach and some XXXX Gold.

6 hours ago, Hungarino said:

You guys are living in a fantasy land.

I do wonder sometimes if Australia is merely a figment of my imagination. How do I know these words on my screen who claim to be typed by genuine Aussie blokes are really being generated from the other side of the globe? Even though I've been down there in person, how do I know the plane actually took me to the other side of the globe? They said they took us to OZ, and charged us a lot of money to do so, but for all I know they could have taken us anywhere. I didn't see one single kangaroo or dingo or a Koala bear or come across any deadly snakes or spiders the whole 5 weeks I was there.

It was a 15 hour overnight flight so it was dark outside the plane's windows which they made us keep closed until roughly an hour before we landed. "Australia" could have been an elaborate set they mocked up in the American midwest. Or I guess the extreme heat must have been real so it could have been Arizona, or death valley or maybe somewhere in Mexico, and they could have just hired a lot of Asian extras and paid them all to drive on the wrong side of the road and walk around and speak with Aussie accents and say cute things like G'day and arvo and bottle-o and crikey and how ya goin'? The harbor bridge and opera house could have been holograms. They could have just glued all those orange terra cotta tiles on top of all the roofs to make it seem like we were landing somewhere exotic and tropical like Sydney. The view of the city from the 19th floor high-rise apartment windows and the New Year's fireworks could have been CGI. The more I think about it the more doubts I have.

5 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Not XXX. Good natured ribbing of the Western province is not meant seriously, but seriously XXX is piss and unfit for human consumption.

Most Americans, like most Aussies it seems, are quite happy to drink piss water as we call it. I don't understand this but it's undeniably true. All the biggest selling beer brands over here are absolute piss water unfit for civilized humans. 

YAKUZA - Sutra. Enjoyable but many will not care for the vocals.

KHANATE - To Be Cruel. Khanate's back baby. Just what you were waiting for. This is crushing noise. Loved  it.

NP - THE OCEAN - Holocene. Hmm...like all of their albums that I've heard, musically sophisticated, well recorded, thematically ambitious. But, as ever, rather anaemic and not very much fun at all.

17 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I do wonder sometimes if Australia is merely a figment of my imagination. How do I know these words on my screen who claim to be typed by genuine Aussie blokes are really being generated from the other side of the globe? Even though I've been down there in person, how do I know the plane actually took me to the other side of the globe? They said they took us to OZ, and charged us a lot of money to do so, but for all I know they could have taken us anywhere. I didn't see one single kangaroo or dingo or a Koala bear or come across any deadly snakes or spiders the whole 5 weeks I was there.

It was a 15 hour overnight flight so it was dark outside the plane's windows which they made us keep closed until roughly an hour before we landed. "Australia" could have been an elaborate set they mocked up in the American midwest. Or I guess the extreme heat must have been real so it could have been Arizona, or death valley or maybe somewhere in Mexico, and they could have just hired a lot of Asian extras and paid them all to drive on the wrong side of the road and walk around and speak with Aussie accents and say cute things like G'day and arvo and bottle-o and crikey and how ya goin'? The harbor bridge and opera house could have been holograms. They could have just glued all those orange terra cotta tiles on top of all the roofs to make it seem like we were landing somewhere exotic and tropical like Sydney. The view of the city from the 19th floor high-rise apartment windows and the New Year's fireworks could have been CGI. The more I think about it the more doubts I have.

Most Americans, like most Aussies it seems, are quite happy to drink piss water as we call it. I don't understand this but it's undeniably true. All the biggest selling beer brands over here are absolute piss water unfit for civilized humans. 

You done messed up GG Man, of course Sydney doesn’t feel like Oz. Nice find on the Sri Lankan BM by the way