What Are You Listening To?

khaos

8 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

Since you don't actually recommend anything for my delicate ears I'm sure the rest of my life will be filled with silence

Everything I post is posted with your delicate ears in mind. Aosoth first up then the Keiji Taino & SUMAC should wind you down nicely at the end of the day. Get it into you.

2 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Alright nevermind the marsupial hides that was this morning, (not even sure where you were going with that train of thought) onto more pressing matters. Tell us Doc, what are your thoughts on Alice in Hell? On a scale of 1 to 10 how many roo kicks will you give it?

Love the cover on this Fleshy Megalith so I'm going in. Started out quite promising but these riffs don't seem to be going anywhere. Plenty of putrid atmosphgere though. I'll give it some time to unfold and reveal its inner rotten beauty.

Seems our Orca fancies himself a man of mystery. I'm sure he was joking but doesn't he realize we all pretty much know each others tastes inside and out by now? Unless he's been holding out on us.

Yeah as soon as I saw "Sumac" I put it right out of my mind.

Sir are you assuming I have taste? How insulting

NP: Peste Noire

you’re mad if you think I’m spelling the album

3 hours ago, Thatguy said:

As for AiH...I find the cover art purile, so -1 for that. The dudes are instrumentally competent and can play fast,+2 for that. The vocalist is trying hard but I do not like what he is doing at all so it's -1, gang shouted choruses, another -1. Chug-a-thon. Ho-hum. I'll let that ride.

So, it's a solid -1 out of 10 for me. Was it ever commercial? I don't know and everything released is commercial anyway. 

I was joking sir, I didn't actually expect you of all people to take a break from your esoteric musical journey to listen to Annihilator. But my main take away from this critique of yours is that I need a new adjective, people are apparently not understanding what I mean when I say something sounds too commercial. Almost all major label stuff sounds too commercial to me. Too clean, too polished, too perfect, too sterile, too boring. Like some people peel their potatoes and some of us want the skin left on. I'm sure there must be some genres of music which can benefit from being polished and commercialized but imo thrash is definitely not one of them.

I will agree on the cover art though, purile, and again selected by the suits no doubt. -2 on that from me. But I take exception with your aversion to gang shouted choruses. As a fan of hardcore and 'real' thrash bands like my Jersey boys Overkill, gang vox are a good thing imo so that's +1 from me. The lead vocalist himself though was a huge negative for me on this album, -3. The lyrics, his tone, timber and delivery all rubbed me the wrong way and killed any chance I might have had to enjoy this record so that was the worst part of it for me besides the overall sterile polished excessively commercial character of the album. But that's just me, so many otherwise decent inoffensive albums completely ruined for me by vocals that rub me the wrong way. And I can be that way because in the modern metal landscape there are so many thousands of albums to choose from that I don't have to accept vocalists that irriatate me. Shame really, because it turns out Randy Rampage was much better suited to being a hardcore punk vocalist. But there's no money in that apparently. Sadly he died of an apparent heart attack in 2018 at age 58 in his home in Vancouver. 

D.O.A. Live in LA (1984)

18 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Too clean, too polished, too perfect, too sterile, too boring

It was all that, and what I said. Was it -4 for you? I'm sorry the dude died young and I don't like DOA but they sound a lot better than AiH. The drummers hair is unforgivable though.

4 hours ago, AlSymerz said:

NP Keiji Taino & SUMAC - Into this juvenile apocalypse our golden blood to pour let us never.

And it reminded you of Reload, I guess.

More compulsory listening tomorrow.

Earthless/Black Heaven (2018)-after a string of mostly instrumental long jam 70's inspired album length stoner tracks they put out this bad ass rockin' gem with reasonable song lengths and accessible tunes. Wikipedia states the band considers their influences are largely Kraturock (which I still can't say I recognize when I hear it) and psychedelic Japanese jam bands, I hear a combination of Stevie Ray Vaughan, The Almond Brothers and Black Sabbath.   

1 hour ago, Arioch said:

Today, I listened to Hammerhedd's Grand Currents album at least 6 times. It has become in a short time my musical Grail. I haven't listened to anything else.

Rare are the albums that make me this effect.

🤘🏻😍🤘🏻

That is some endorsement. Reminds me a bit of Helmet. Will spend some time with it. Thanks for the tip off!

31 minutes ago, JonoBlade said:

That is some endorsement. Reminds me a bit of Helmet. Will spend some time with it. Thanks for the tip off!

OK but what we really want to know is how do you feel about Alice in Hell?

3 hours ago, Thatguy said:

The drummers hair is unforgivable though.

He did have a bit of a Mike Reno thing going on with his hair, but I think that's mostly the headband. Maybe headbands are just a Canadian thing.

𝐌𝐲𝐑𝐨𝐜𝐤𝐀𝐧𝐝𝐑𝐨𝐥𝐥𝐇𝐞𝐚𝐯𝐞𝐧 on Twitter: "Happy birthday wishes  going out today to Mike Reno, lead singer of Canadian rockers Loverboy.  Crank up some Loverboy today to celebrate! No one rocks the bandana like  Mike

Agasch - Waldgeist, melancholic Bavarian atmo-black with violins n shit.

Bathory - Destroyer of Worlds, thought I'd revisit one of his overlooked albums that doesn't get too many spins. Been playing some Civ V lately and bands like Bathory and Morrigan are the perfect soundtrack for defeating my neighbors and taking over the world.

4 hours ago, MacabreEternal said:

Sabbat - A History of Time to Come (1988)

I love looking at old band photos. Looks like 3 of them went out and bought Megastaine wigs for the cover shoot. The other dude on the right is doing his best stoic Ritchie Blackmore impression. Guess I'll have to give this one another shot sometime, it's been so long I can barely remember what it sounded like.

L7 - Smell The Magic

Always have a soft spot for that late 1980s-early 1990s alternative rock/grunge scene.    The ladies in that scene rocked harder than the men (eg L7, PJ Harvey, Babes in Toyland and even Hole).  Whilst the blokes were getting all introspective and melancholy, the ladies were tearing people new arseholes.

Kreator - Violent Revolution

Primal Fear - Self-titled

Primal Fear - "Jaws of Death"

Primal Fear - "Nuclear Fire"

Loving this current dive into the discography of these consistent traditional heavy metal stalwarts.  Their debut album was released in 1998, and they have 13 albums in the catalog already.  That's quite a pace.  Scheepers is an incredible vocalist - one of my favorites, up there with Phil Anselmo, Rob Halford, and Mark Tornillo.  

2 hours ago, Dead1 said:

L7 - Smell The Magic

Always have a soft spot for that late 1980s-early 1990s alternative rock/grunge scene. The ladies in that scene rocked harder than the men (eg L7, PJ Harvey, Babes in Toyland and even Hole).  Whilst the blokes were getting all introspective and melancholy, the ladies were tearing people new arseholes.

I happen to love L7 but I've never thought of them as being part of either the alt rock or grunge scenes. They're a punk rock band from LA. While I know the names, I've never actually heard either PJ Harvey or Babes in Toyland. Which one do you think I'd like?

2 hours ago, JamesT said:

Loving this current dive into the discography of these consistent traditional heavy metal stalwarts.  Their debut album was released in 1998, and they have 13 albums in the catalog already.  That's quite a pace.  Scheepers is an incredible vocalist - one of my favorites, up there with Phil Anselmo, Rob Halford, and Mark Tornillo.  

I'd take Ralf over Halford any day. And over those other two guys as well.

Entrevista a Ralf Scheepers, vocalista de Primal Fear: 'Los conciertos en  streaming no son algo que encaje con el heavy metal' | Science of Noise -  Rock Magazine