What Are You Listening To?

khaos

7 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Happy birthday JT. Bobby Blitz will be turning 64 this coming week as well. And that reminds me my own daughter will be turning 33 in June. I'd say next month but we still have an hour left in April here.

You young guys and your backwards rankings haha. Not even gonna argue about Ironbound and Electric Age being ahead of Taking Over, it just makes me chuckle. You're just a kid, you weren't there at their 80's shows so you don't know any better. I do have Electric Age in my top 10 or 12 Kill albums as well, so I'm not pooping on it, it's a very good album with memorable songs. But I couldn't see any serious Overkill fan putting it as their #1. I do really like that you think for yourself and stick to your guns though, so keep it up.

I think it's at least very good. 

I appreciate that, brother!  Yeah, I definitely hold my fair share of controversial metal opinions haha.  I'm one of the very few who really likes "St. Anger", and I'm not just trolling when I say that.  "The Electric Age" was actually my introduction to Overkill, so I think that has a lot to do with why I hold it so dearly.  And I do genuinely think "Ironbound" is incredible.  I also prefer more modern production values, which beef up the sound a bit and give it more crunch, so that's probably another influence on why I'd rank all of their most recent 6 albums in the top 10 of their catalog.  Plus, I genuinely think all of these recent albums are just that good.  "Taking Over" is an amazing album, no doubt.  Literally every song is a bruiser.  "Fear His Name" is flawless in my opinion, as well as "Wrecking Crew".  I'd have zero argument against anyone ranking "Taking Over" at #1, and I'm sure many fans probably would.

And I have to give you a huge thank-you for turning me onto Ritual Carnage.  What an amazing band!  Hope your daughter has a great 33rd birthday next month!

1 hour ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

So what'd you think old man?

Old man?

Where?

I only got half way through before I had to give up and cook dinner, but I liked what I heard. Will give it a full spin later on this morning when I can put it at a higher volume and see how it goes.

NP: Megadeth - RIP

Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell

Black Sabbath - Mob Rules

Perhaps their 2 most perfect albums!

Enforced - War Remains - not bad and maybe even a slight improvement over Kill Grid.  Much better than High Command who lost all intensity and went too melodic on their nwe one.

Nevermore - Nevermore (1995)

In the 90s, I was into extreme metal. Heavy Metal was not my thing anymore. But I discovered Nevermore with The Politics of Ecstasy and I loved how the band combined Heavy with Thrash, scattering aggressive touches in some riffs. The first album below, I discovered much later.

Pugh Rogefeldt passed away yesterday. He was credited with releasing the very first rock album (Ja dä ä dä) in Swedish back in 1969. He's also erroneously credited as being Quorthon in the infamously awful book Lords of Chaos.

I've never listened to him, so I pulled up the debut album in question and... yeah, not my cup of tea. But I def. hear his influence on later eras of Swedish music, both the 70's Progg rock, hippie-folk and then Swedish pop/rock of the 80-90's.

Pugh Rogefeldt - Här kommer natten

10 hours ago, Dead1 said:

Drugs - fentanyl overdose.  Great singer but clearly stupid.

Oh okay, got ya.  Man that's a shame.  Gone way too soon.

Listened to "Nightmare Logic" at the gym the other day and loved every second of it.  Maybe the band will continue on with a new vocalist at some point. 

HammerFall - "(R)Evolution"

HammerFall - "Built to Last"

Can't get enough of these traditional metal stalwarts.  All 12 albums are enjoyable. 

Nevermore - Dead Heart in a Dead World (2000)

As much as I love The Politics of Ecstasy, this is my favorite Nevermore album. The richness of the arrangements, the titles, the riffs. Nevermore at the top of its art and its form on this album!

25 minutes ago, Arioch said:

Nevermore - Dead Heart in a Dead World (2000)

As much as I love The Politics of Ecstasy, this is my favorite Nevermore album. The richness of the arrangements, the titles, the riffs. Nevermore at the top of its art and its form on this album!

Ah how opinions can differ, I’ve recently listened through their discography and Dead Heart is among their weakest efforts for me. Neon Black remains my favourite Nevermore album.

6 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Bathory - Bathory

…and so begins the arduous task of firstly whittling down my black metal collection to one release per artist, then choosing which of those crack my top 100. Have to do it that way though or Bathory and Inquisition would take ten spots

Made my black metal list all day yesterday, I did it methodically year by year, and I ended up with 197 albums on it. I'm not leaving off too many Inquisition albums, they don't have any not great albums. I did leave off a couple like the first one and the last one, but all the others are on there. Bathory not so much. Love Bathory of course, but I skipped all the first wave stuff and started my list in 1992 with A Blaze in the Northern Sky just figuring it'd be hard enough to keep it to 100 just sticking to the 2nd wave. And I was right, because I'm way over 100! Don't see 90's Bathory as black metal anyway, first 4 are black metal but it was something else by 1990's Hammerheart. Probably should have put UTSOTBM on my list at the very least, but then I'd have 198.

Norwegian vs Swedish black metal riffs.