What Are You Listening To?

khaos

Have I posted this before?

13 | Head Like A Hole (bandcamp.com)

The first and most classic album from Wellington's Head Like a Hole. These guys and Shihad ruled the Wellington scene when I was in my last year in high school. One of my earliest gig experiences was HLaH, Shihad and Conventional Toasters in a dockside warehouse. Conventional Toasters* were some kind of grind band that played in white lab coats. Classic.

* not to be confused with Unconventional Toasters which was a Barry Manilow cover band of the same era.

Lamp of Murmuur - Saturnian Bloodstorm, LA. The new LoM is a bit of a departure in sound for M, productionwise it's very clear, could take a little bit of getting used to. Wonder if the shift to using full color album cover after a bunch of b/w covers has any significance? 

Ossaert - Pelgrimsoord, Netherlands 2021, superior Dutch one-man bm band.

On 3/23/2023 at 6:54 PM, JamesT said:

Fantastic choice!  I've been on a Candlemass kick lately, myself.  Listened through the whole discography three times in the past month or so.  "Ancient Dreams" ranks as my #1 Candlemass album, but "Nightfall" is right behind it at #2.  Not a huge doom fan in general, but Candlemass never fails to be a satisfying listen.

This is my only Candlemass song so far. I'll see what else they have in store.

15 minutes ago, BlackSmith said:

This is my only Candlemass song so far. I'll see what else they have in store.

Start with their first two albums, Epicus Doomicus Metallicus from 1986 and Nightfall a year later in '87. Those are their classics. They have other good albums too, but those first two are widely considered to be their pinnacle. Their debut Epicus would be my favorite, every single song on there is 10/10 and it also has the best singer they ever had.

Epicus Doomicus Metallicus, Sweden 1986

Kings Of Thrash - Best Of The West

I didn't expect Megadeth of the 80's. I didn't expect Megadeth of today, but holy shit I certainty didn't expect it to be this fucking bad. The music sounds tight enough (to this tone deaf old fart with poor hearing), but the vocals are fucking terrible.

I watched a video of Megadeth recorded in Melbourne this week and even Dave's vocals of today are better than whoever the fuck is singing on this album. It can't be easy imitating Mustaine and there is moments of 'almost okay' but for the most part I still can't stand whoever this is.

55 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

Kings of Thrash - Best of the West

I didn't expect Megadeth of the 80's. I didn't expect Megadeth of today, but holy shit I certainty didn't expect it to be this fucking bad. The music sounds tight enough (to this tone deaf old fart with poor hearing), but the vocals are fucking terrible.

I watched a video of Megadeth recorded in Melbourne this week and even Dave's vocals of today are better than whoever the fuck is singing on this album. It can't be easy imitating Mustaine and there is moments of 'almost okay' but for the most part I still can't stand whoever this is.

Don't really have any idea what the fuck you're talking about, or who/what "Kings of Thrash" is, or why someone would be imitating the Megastaine on an album (or is it a live youtube video?) or what "Dave's vocals of today" is supposed to mean if they've got someone else on stage singing for him. You could have given us some background context.

But then again as someone who hasn't been following the ongoing Megastaine saga I don't even really fucking care. I'll just say whatever it is you're listening to it couldn't be any worse than the time I saw stumbling drunk Megadick in the 80's. Or maybe he was on drugs, or knowing him probably both. They'd strapped a guitar on him and sent him out onstage, but I don't think he knew which end was up that night, he was just a beligerent asshole who wanted to fight everybody, he couldn't even finish the show. This was a small club in suburban NY in the 80's so people booed and spit and threw shit, and he wanted to fight all of us, it was ugly. One of the most pathetic displays I've ever seen by a big name band.

I have absolutely no respect for Megastaine, he's just an asshole who hasn't put out a good album in 30 years and I wish he'd just retire from the music biz already and go run his vineyard and take his gold digging blonde bimbo wife and her little dog shopping or something so maybe people would finally stop talking about his stupid ass. I think over the years I've probably enjoyed Megadick's music the least out of any of the first tier name brand 80's thrash bands. Fuck him.

NP: Horna/Behexen - Horna/Behexen Split, Finland 2004

Horna - Sudentaival, 2001

7 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

Which is why I wouldn't expect you to want or need more information than provided about the band Kings of Thrash

But you didn't provide any at all. And what if someone else who might actually dig Megastaine was reading your post? Or are you operating under the assumption that I'm probably the only idiot who still reads your inane ramblings at 3 in the morning?

I just think if you're gonna go to the trouble of typing a 2 paragraph post then you could at least give the reader some idea or at least a little clue to what the hell you're talking about. Unless you were just talking to yourself then that's fine too, maybe just give us some kind of a sign that the post is merely rhetorical so idiots like me won't think you were looking for a response or to spark up a conversation.

Someone who would be interested would already know who Kings are, they aren't gaining new fans by word of mouth.

We can still have a conversation about them if that's what you want but I really can't see it being much of a conversation given that I think the album sucks and by default of your dislike of MegaDave and most of his music probably means you'll dislike Kings as well.

5 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Orca is baiting you GG. Go for it.

Well in actuality I did kinda bait him to bait me so I could then 'go for it' but now I don't really want to anymore because he's being a dickhead about it. And you folks down under there are all sleeping now anyway at 3:30 am because I guess I'm the only idiot insomniac who stays up all night listening to black metal and baiting Orcas.

12:30pm pissing down rain here, was planning to go do some laundry today but I don't think I wanna sit in my car for 2 hours in the pouring rain while the laundry spins, so I suppose we'll just have to do it on Sunday. I should probably go downstairs now and feed the cat, and maybe also this kid who's lying on my bed behind me here playing educational games on his school issued Chromebook. Such a pain in the ass, I eat one meal a day mostly because I can't be fucked to prepare food over and over all day long, but it feels like these two bludgers just want me to feed them constantly. 

2 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Well in actuality I did kinda bait him to bait me so I could then 'go for it' but now I don't really want to anymore because he's being a dickhead about it. And you folks down under there are all sleeping now anyway at 3:30 am because I guess I'm the only idiot insomniac who stays up all night listening to black metal and baiting Orcas.

Baiting? You were desperate for a 3am conversation about a band you wont like who plays the music of a guy you hate. I was saving you the early morning effort of replying with a 500 word diatribe about how terrible the album was or how MegaDave is not your favourite person. I was letting you take the initiative of using Google only if you wanted to, not force feeding you a bunch of information that was irrelevant to you. I thought I was doing you a favour by not providing you an encyclopaedic like story of something you'd have zero interest in. Now I know your feelings on the matter I'll be sure never to provide a description in my post ever again.

NP: Nothing, I'm too upset