What Are You Listening To?

khaos

3 hours ago, Thatguy said:

MASTODON - Emperor of Sand

KRIEGSMASCHINE - Apocalypticists

FRED FRITH TRIO with Lotte Anger and Susana Santos Silva  - Road. You don't know Fred Frith?  You're not worthy.

SULPHUR AEON - Svallowed Bt The Ocean's Tide. Yep, Svallowed.

Thatguy has been outside with his headphones on all morning. It's a perfect early autumn day here in lovely Canberra.

Fred Frith - Solo Concert at MÓZG, ok so the dude makes weird noises with his guitar. I don't know much about jazz, but apparently at one time he used to play actual music. Now he's just avant-garde.

Svallowed, what's that, your attempt at a German accent? Do you normally read album titles in your version of the accent of the country they're from? I certainly do.

1 hour ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Fred Frith - Solo Concert at MÓZG, ok so the dude makes weird noises with his guitar. I don't know much about jazz, but apparently at one time he used to play actual music. Now he's just avant-garde.

He has a huge and hugely varied body of work. Yep, some is rather annoying noise making, but a lot is good music. Check out the Art Bears - Winter Songs in particular. You won't like it but you'll never forget it.

1 hour ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Svallowed, what's that, your attempt at a German accent? Do you normally read album titles in your version of the accent of the country they're from? I certainly do.

No I don't. It's the actual spelling used in the album title and I thought it was silly.

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

He has a huge and hugely varied body of work. Yep, some is rather annoying noise making, but a lot is good music. Check out the Art Bears - Winter Songs in particular. You won't like it but you'll never forget it.

No I don't. It's the actual spelling used in the album title and I thought it was silly.

No it's not. That's a W on the cover in every picture I can find. Put your readers on Doc.

Sulphur Aeon - Swallowed By the Ocean's Tide

I'm due for a revisit anyway. Everyone I know seems to really love these guys and I could take them or leave them. This debut is the only one of theirs I can listen to. They lost me with the two subsequent ones.

5 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

No it's not. That's a W on the cover in every picture I can find. Put your readers on Doc.

I'd send you a screenshot of my music file but fuck knows how the 'v' got there. I will leave it, it's cute.

Winter Songs by the Art Bears. It will change your view of the mediaeval world view, if you have one.

7 hours ago, Thatguy said:

I'd send you a screenshot of my music file but fuck knows how the 'v' got there. I will leave it, it's cute.

Winter Songs by the Art Bears. It will change your view of the mediaeval world view, if you have one.

Maybe the V is from a German version only meant to be distributed over there? Because as I'm sure you know they reverse pronounce their V's and W's over there, opposite from the way we say them. But I really can't imagine a band of their limited stature or their record company going to all the trouble and expense to release two separate versions with two different spellings.

I know we live in different parts of the world so this is a serious question: is that really how you lot spell medieval? Or was that extra A just a typo? I know you guys do like to add extra unnecessary letters to words like maneuver, pedophile and fetus, so I'm really not sure. I only ask because I enjoy learning about words and I hadn't ever come across that spelling of 'mediaeval' before. It's already kind of a weirdly spelled word. Being American naturally I have the barely controllable urge to streamline it even more and spell it the way it sounds: 'mideval.' Not sure if I even have a personal medieval world view Doc. Not a subject that comes up too often unless I'm watching a film about Robin Hood or King Arthur or Henry VIII or some period historical thing like that. I know I'm old, but I assure you I was born well after the Renaissance.

The Hermit Art Bears (Winter Songs) ....crazy man. At least my brain can identify this as music...or some of it. But as with so many things tagged "avant-garde" the severe atonality aspect gives me pause. I have trouble processing it so I find it jarring. Just like prog metal, if it wasn't for all the gratuitous dissonance and atonality I might actually be able to appreciate some of it.

Art Bears - Winter Songs SV - The Skeleton

5 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

At least my brain can identify this as music...or some of it.

The album Winter Songs - really needs to be appreciated as a whole. Each song is inspired by carvings on a mediaeval cathedral in France - Rheims, I think - and it tells a story of life and transcendence and despite the carvings being on a cathedral, there is nothing christian about the songs or the story. Good on you for dipping in. Some of the others here may get into this.

And, yep, mediaeval is the proper and original spelling. It's probably dying out here but I should think it is still the spelling mainly used in Britain.  It is more exactly 'mediæval', but no one uses the æ any more. You do see it in books sometimes.

I actually approve of most USA spellings, but I use the old spellings by habit and to be understood here. As for 'mediæval' - it's a word I write so rarely I used the old spelling for fun.

TERRA TENABROSA - V.I.T.R.I.O.L.

THE ORDER OF APOLLYON - Moriah

THE CHURCH - The Hypnogogue It's the 25th or 26th album by this legendary band of Aussie old blokes. If you like them you will like this album. There is nothing groundbreaking or even different, but it's a good The Church album with good The Church songs. Not metal at all though.

3 hours ago, Thatguy said:

The album Winter Songs - really needs to be appreciated as a whole. Each song is inspired by carvings on a mediaeval cathedral in France - Rheims, I think - and it tells a story of life and transcendence and despite the carvings being on a cathedral, there is nothing christian about the songs or the story. Good on you for dipping in. Some of the others here may get into this.

And, yep, mediaeval is the proper and original spelling. It's probably dying out here but I should think it is still the spelling mainly used in Britain.  It is more exactly 'mediæval', but no one uses the æ any more. You do see it in books sometimes.

I actually approve of most USA spellings, but I use the old spellings by habit and to be understood here. As for 'mediæval' - it's a word I write so rarely I used the old spelling for fun.

Alright then, I looked around the internet and couldn't find mediaeval spelled with the A anywhere, but I am Googling from the USA so maybe those archaic results are hidden from us Yanks. I found a bunch of other words that are spelled differenty in Britain and the Commonwealths than they are here, but not that one. I do believe you though. Unlike a certain Orca we both know, I'm pretty sure you don't go changing facts or your story around on a whim to suit your immediate needs.

I did listen to that Winter Songs album in its entirety btw, they just didn't have the whole album up on Youtube in one single video, they had uploaded all the tracks separately. I posted two of them, but still I listened to them all, each and every one.

Now, back to the Napalm Death marathon as I eat my slow cooker pot roast.

Napalm Death - Utilitarian, 2012

Napalm Death - Apex Predator - Easy Meat, 2015