What Are You Listening To?

khaos

2 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

They're one of my favorite bands, and metal is my favorite kind of music, so they must be metal, right? I didn't need a Kerrang cover to tell me that.

I endorse this sentiment 

1 hour ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

There's a handful of Rush songs I used to kinda like. Bastille Day, What You're Doing, Trees and Red Barchetta. I'm positive that Bastille Day was on Caress of Steel and What You're Doing was on their first album, and reasonably certain at least one of those other two was on Moving Pictures. I get fuzzy on the details of the records that came after 2112, which was the last one I bought back in the day before I gave up on them. People always used to try to steer me towards Working Man thinking it would win me over and be the catalyst for a big Rush epiphany, but I never really felt that one. Even though I think the debut is the one Rush album I could probably listen to all the way through and enjoy most of it. As I rememeber it had a bit of a Zeppelinesque quality to it. It's been so long, maybe I'll give it a shot right now.

Very much Zeppelin esque. The only album I see up your alley is Caress of Steel which did have Anthem and Bastille Day, two of their heaviest songs. The Trees is on Hemispheres, Red Barchetta is on Moving Pictures.

Rush actually got a lot of negative criticism after the first album for being a Zeppelin knock off. They consciously decided to change direction, fired the original drummer, and replaced him with arguably the greatest rock drummer of all time who was also a stellar lyricist.

2 hours ago, SurgicalBrute said:

Underappreciated album...deserved more attention.

NP: Obsecration - Onwards The Mystic Paths Of The Dead

I dig it. I've been going through albums I saved on my BC wishlist. Not sure why I saved it-maybe  an end of year list or might have been off my feed. I'll save albums I see you, Hungus, Zack , Navy own. In fact, I grabbed Nocturnal Triumph that I saw on my feed from last January. I noticed it was on your 22 list. I've been playing it all year-it's good-based on the fact that you bought it and I know the underground stuff you own I usually enjoy--I've got a pretty good batting average getting albums that way. 

4 hours ago, navybsn said:

I endorse this sentiment 

Very much Zeppelin esque. The only album I see up your alley is Caress of Steel which did have Anthem and Bastille Day, two of their heaviest songs. The Trees is on Hemispheres, Red Barchetta is on Moving Pictures.

Rush actually got a lot of negative criticism after the first album for being a Zeppelin knock off. They consciously decided to change direction, fired the original drummer, and replaced him with arguably the greatest rock drummer of all time who was also a stellar lyricist.

Yeah they were marketing them as the next Zeppelin back in the beginning. I was in middle school at the time so I got pretty excited thinking I'd have a new heavy band to add to my very small arsenal of heavy bands. Caress of Steel was my first Rush album purchase based on numerous glowing rock mag reviews. This would have been 9th grade, 1975, the year you were born I was 14 yo. I hadn't ever actually heard the band until I got the record home. I did learn to like Bastille Day a little bit, but I couldn't get into any of the rest of it. A Zeppelin clone they were not.

I fell prey to the rock critics' exuberant gushing again the following year and bought 2112 as well, but I didn't like that one any better. Syrinx and Bangcock were like the only two songs I would ever play, but only because I had already spent the money for the record so I was trying to make lemonade out of lemons. I guess I've always disliked prog rock right from the very beginning, and in Rush's case specifically I found Geddy's shrill voice all but unlistenable. I get that they're great musicians and everything, but I dont care about all that.

For context I'll add that in '75 I had Sabbath's Sabotage on repeat most of the time, and then in '76 I had the Ramones debut on repeat constantly. I wanted everything faster and heavier and louder than everything else at all times and there were very few rock bands back then who could give me what I was looking for. I didn't buy any more new Rush albums after that, but I might have acquired a couple of used ones cheap at some point. I believe I remember seeing vinyl copies of Fly By Night and Moving Pictures floating around in the 80's. Hard to remember whose records were whose back then, we each brought records into the house separately and then they'd all end up mixed together in one big pile.

I have a very good friend Bob off the board who like you is a Rush fanatic. He'd frequently have Rush playing in the car to get me to listen to them. He had a crush on that Strangiato song I think, he had some live version of it playing quite a few times. We used to bust each other's balls about our love/hate (respectively) for the band a lot. But we've kinda stopped in recent years because after Neil died he took it pretty hard at the time and I didn't want to come off like an insensitive dick so it wasn't fun to bash them anymore. But don't worry, we have plenty of other bands he likes that I hate that we can go back and forth about if we want.

Funny, when my late wife "discovered" Rush about a decade ago (she wasn't even born yet when Moving Pictures came out) and then realized that I couldn't stand them, she'd always reach over and turn up the car radio anytime Tom Sawyer or Limelight or Spirit of Radio came on. I guess I must just have a way of inspiring that kind of thing in people, they want to see me suffer.

The obituary (new album today!) I read of L-M-P said her mum and kid were scientologists...and she was married to Michael Jackson during the pedo-years, so perhaps not the sharpest knife in the drawer....but there is something sad about Elvis' name dying with her. Pretty young too. Oof.

So far bought this morning:

The Coral Tombs | Ahab (bandcamp.com)

New album released today. I used to like these guys about 15 years ago but never bought an album until today. That was back when I was illegal downloader scum. For the kids today who would rather stream music on Spotify or Apple Music, which is technically "legal" but pays artists practically the same (i.e. nothing), you are the new scum.

The Stench of Redemption | Deicide (bandcamp.com)

Inexplicably my favourite of the Deicide output.

...and waiting for the pre-order of new Obituary to release. Goddamn, the day (Friday 13th!) is over for half the world and I'm still waiting for those Floridian wastrels to wake up and press the release button.

Florist/Florist-beautiful intimate folk/folk rock album from 2022-one of the better examples I've  heard in the genre although I don't go out of my way to look for old school pure folk. This one intersperses ambient interludes with a compelling female vocalist backed by a band. 

1 hour ago, JonoBlade said:

The obituary (new album today!) I read of L-M-P said her mum and kid were scientologists...and she was married to Michael Jackson during the pedo-years, so perhaps not the sharpest knife in the drawer....but there is something sad about Elvis' name dying with her. Pretty young too. Oof.

So far bought this morning:

loridian wastrels to wake up and press the release button.

Yes, on the one hand, why should I care about LMP on the other Elvis is a cultural icon my parents grew up with and I well remember when he died. I remember listening to 45's in my grandmother's house (Hound Dog, Let me be your Teddy Bear, Don't be Cruel, Jailhouse rock, Love me Tender, all that shit) that my mom and her sisters had from the 50's in Tennessee when we would visit in the 70's as a kid. And, LMP was 3 years younger than me. Bummer.  

9 minutes ago, markm said:

Yes, on the one hand, why should I care about LMP on the other Elvis is a cultural icon my parents grew up with and I well remember when he died. I remember listening to 45's in my grandmother's house (Hound Dog, Let me be your Teddy Bear, Don't be Cruel, Jailhouse rock, Love me Tender, all that shit) that my mom and her sisters had from the 50's in Tennessee when we would visit in the 70's as a kid. And, LMP was 3 years younger than me. Bummer.  

I wonder if Michael Jackson ever did a cover of "Let me be your Teddy Bear"? 

Is anyone having a Jeff Beck in memoriam spin of old records? I am fairly ignorant of Jeff Beck myself. I know he exists but he's before my time and didn't filter through the same as a Hendrix or Iommi. Even a Clapton...although other than a greatest hits cassette in high school I am not that familiar with Clapton. I put a few eBay bids on Disraeli Gears a while back because I felt it was something I should own...but not so motivated that any of them followed through.  Same with Deep Purple In Rock and Blue Oyster Cult Agents of Fortune I suddenly decided I needed, but neither closed the deal yet.

27 minutes ago, JonoBlade said:

I wonder if Michael Jackson ever did a cover of "Let me be your Teddy Bear"? 

Is anyone having a Jeff Beck in memoriam spin of old records? I am fairly ignorant of Jeff Beck myself. I know he exists but he's before my time and didn't filter through the same as a Hendrix or Iommi. Even a Clapton...although other than a greatest hits cassette in high school I am not that familiar with Clapton. I put a few eBay bids on Disraeli Gears a while back because I felt it was something I should own...but not so motivated that any of them followed through.  Same with Deep Purple In Rock and Blue Oyster Cult Agents of Fortune I suddenly decided I needed, but neither closed the deal yet.

Beck was the only one of the 3 Yardbirds guitarist I never really listened to. Quite overshadowed by the other 2 I think. Sad he's gone, but like you I feel no need to go back and look into his discography. I rarely if ever go back and spin anything by Clapton or Page either aside from the occasional Zep or Cream song that pops up on a random playlist.

For the record, the first 3 BOC albums are much better than Agents. That's where they started to slide into mediocrity if you ask me. Had some good singles afterwards, but no complete album I'd recommend.

1 hour ago, navybsn said:

For the record, the first 3 BOC albums are much better than Agents. That's where they started to slide into mediocrity if you ask me. Had some good singles afterwards, but no complete album I'd recommend.

Sounds like you know what you're talking about. Both Deep Purple and BOC had tracks featured on Netflix's 1899, and made me want to investigate. Child in Time is pretty cool and I can see how it directly influenced Rob Halford. The vocal phrasing of the screamy bit is exactly the same as Dreamer Deceiver, one of my all time favourite songs. YMMV.

(Don't Fear) The Reaper was very recognisable, without ever knowing I'd heard it before. Great song.

But, if you reckon the first 3 are better then I am literally in no position to argue! Put bids on Secret Treaties and Agents, because there were no others listed at the moment.

I played in a band with Eric Bloom's son for a little while when I was still in Brooklyn. Good drummer and super cool dude. I never got into BÖC past the hits though.

NP: Satyricon - The Shadowthrone

1 hour ago, JonoBlade said:

Both Deep Purple and BOC had tracks featured on Netflix's 1899, and made me want to investigate

I love the way they integrated that music. One of many effective things about the show. It sucks to see other shows try and fail to pull something similar off, like the way they're doing it with the credits on that new Willow show... cheapens the idea somehow.

43 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

I love the way they integrated that music. One of many effective things about the show. It sucks to see other shows try and fail to pull something similar off, like the way they're doing it with the credits on that new Willow show... cheapens the idea somehow.

1899 was quite an interesting series. Kind of jumped the shark at the end though. But yeah, the music montages were very well done.

I was going to watch Willow, then saw it had like 5 on imdb. 

24 minutes ago, JonoBlade said:

1899 was quite an interesting series. Kind of jumped the shark at the end though. But yeah, the music montages were very well done.

I was going to watch Willow, then saw it had like 5 on imdb. 

I thought the end was fine, seeing as it's planned out for 3 seasons. But I could definitely see it going off the rails at this point if they don't handle it well. Dark was very good but felt a bit rushed in the final section, like they needed just a couple more episodes to really tie it together, so I'm hoping they get the chance to see things through properly with this show.

Willow sucks. I love the movie and gave the show a solid chance, but the dialogue is bad, the premise is somehow both weird and trite, and the plot just deteriorated further and further with each episode. Waste of time and intellectual property. I can't wait for a crossover with Rings Of Power.