What Are You Listening To?

khaos

19 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Why would you think that we'd all follow down the same path? Wouldn't all these different people with their vastly different musical tastes have widely divergent paths for their dissent? If we all followed down the same path as one another then it wouldn't be dissent at all anymore then, would it? It'd be mindless scene conformity. Which is exactly what I'm against. The point isn't to always disagree or dissent at all times just for the sake of it. The point is to all to be more open and more real with our thoughts and opinions be they positive or negative or whatever they may be, but still keep things friendly without being total dicks to each other.

Friends should be able to subjectively disagree about music and stuff and still remain friends because they understand it's nothing personal. For the entirety of my time on the interwebs I have watched people get butt-hurt when someone else disagrees with them or trashes some music they might happen to like. I guess I don't understand that, or can't relate to that because that's not how I'm inclined to react when someone trashes some shit that I like. We've all found our ways here at least in part due to a desire to interact with others and exchange ideas about music, right? I know when dropping pearls of wisdom or going into any discussion that my musical tastes are rather unique and not seen as typical even by most of my fellow metal community. And so I've learned to expect dissent and pushback without ever taking it personally. It just doesn't bother me at all, in fact it feels a little weird when I don't get it. Not sure why it surprises me anymore that others can often be a bit more more sensitive and thin-skinned. 

It seems that you've broadened my half arsed thought of no substance to something with more depth and that made my brain hurt. I didn't assume we'd follow the same path of music appreciation, but if we are all doing the same thing we are essentially sheep. Although I have to say, anyone who has tried to heard sheep before knows the stupid little fuckers do not follow each other, so really doing the same thing but walking different paths is the exact definition of what sheep do.

I do agree with the rest of what, I think, you're saying though. There is no need to be offended by what is said anywhere, real world or internet world, words are just words and they don't need to hurt. To me, someone who is being a deliberate dick and trying to offend people is not really any different to the person who gets offended by a word they don't like and has to make a scene. But that doesn't mean everyone should stop using such words. 

The worst part of being free with word, letting loose, having a go, throwing some shit, call it whatever suits ones terminology, is that on the net it's often difficult to tell when someone is offended or upset. It's easy to say that I don't get upset by what others say therefore others shouldn't get upset when I say the same things, but that's not a real world scenario, there will always be someone who doesn't see things the way I do. I'm sure we've all mistakenly thought someone else was upset by what we said when they weren't and vice versa. Likewise we've probably all upset someone without knowing it. To me that's life, I'm not going to get cut up over it, I'm not going to run away crying, but if someone else does that's their choice.

NP:  Nothing because that load of dribble took so long the music stopped.

23 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

It seems that you've broadened my half arsed thought of no substance to something with more depth and that made my brain hurt. I didn't assume we'd follow the same path of music appreciation, but if we are all doing the same thing we are essentially sheep. Although I have to say, anyone who has tried to heard sheep before knows the stupid little fuckers do not follow each other, so really doing the same thing but walking different paths is the exact definition of what sheep do.

I do agree with the rest of what, I think, you're saying though. There is no need to be offended by what is said anywhere, real world or internet world, words are just words and they don't need to hurt. To me, someone who is being a deliberate dick and trying to offend people is not really any different to the person who gets offended by a word they don't like and has to make a scene. But that doesn't mean everyone should stop using such words. 

The worst part of being free with word, letting loose, having a go, throwing some shit, call it whatever suits ones terminology, is that on the net it's often difficult to tell when someone is offended or upset. It's easy to say that I don't get upset by what others say therefore others shouldn't get upset when I say the same things, but that's not a real world scenario, there will always be someone who doesn't see things the way I do. I'm sure we've all mistakenly thought someone else was upset by what we said when they weren't and vice versa. Likewise we've probably all upset someone without knowing it. To me that's life, I'm not going to get cut up over it, I'm not going to run away crying, but if someone else does that's their choice.

I'm not understanding, in your hypothetical what is the same thing we'd all be doing that would make us sheep? Sounds like you're saying that by all having some music we like and some other music we don't like, even if that's different music for each of us, that's what would be making us sheep? Because that makes no sense to me Orca.

I would think that liking or not liking some music that someone else told you that you are or aren't supposed to like is what would make you a sheep. At the same time 3 or 4 or more people all agreeing that they either like or don't like something wouldn't be sheep if they each liked or didn't like it for their own individual reasons. One either thinks for themself or they allow others to do their thinking for them, and imo that's what determines their sheephood or lack thereof.

True, it can sometimes be difficult to tell when others are joking or sarcastic or upset or not by just reading their words on a screen, but to me that's the beauty of a forum type setting. When you're a member of a forum like this one and you're interacting with many of the same people repeatedly on a regular or even daily basis over a period of time, you have a chance to get to know their various different tastes as well as the manners in which they like to express themselves. You can even become real life friends with forum buddies in many cases (in my experience anyway) and it's usually at least somewhat easier to figure out when your friends are joking or upset or pissed off or whatever when you've been talking and joking and becoming familiar with them over some extended period of time.

That's why for the most part I do try to keep my arguments/debates/in-depth philosophical discussions/harsh musical criticisms with people I feel have gotten to know me a little bit, thinking they'll be more likely to be able to handle the way in which I express myself. Such as my use of exaggeration, hyperbole, superlatives, sarcasm and colorfully expressive and sometimes salty language, in hopes they won't get upset or feel I'm being unreasonably harsh or inapropriaate with them when I'm just being flippant or half joking as is almost always the case. I get that I can be an opinionated, loudmouthed asshole at times who is prone to throw his opinion in the ring on subjects uninvited, and it's inevitable that I will inadvertently step on some less assertive people's toes from time to time. But if those people are my friends, I figure there's a better chance they'll come away understanding that's just me and I really didn't mean anything by it. Never any animosity on my end, I love all of you meatheads.

NP: Galvanizer - Sanguine Vigil, Finland 2018

1 hour ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I'm not understanding, in your hypothetical what is the same thing we'd all be doing that would make us sheep?

I think that's because you're thinking more deeply than I am capable of at the moment. My theory was simple, if we are all dissenting we doing the same basic act, therefore by definition we were the sheep. At least that's what I think I was thinking.

You can even become real life friends with forum buddies in many cases (in my experience anyway) and it's usually at least somewhat easier to figure out when your friends are joking or upset or pissed off or whatever when you've been talking and joking and becoming familiar with them over some extended period of time.

No one wants to be friends with me because I listen to thrash :(

but yes I agree prolonged exposure to some people makes it easier to read between the words. I'm sure we all still get it wrong occasionally but it does help. We've seen it happen here as recently as the Ice Nine Kills thread, I don't think anyone was being entirely serious, or trying to offend, in that thread but the result is the dude rage quit calling us old. How fucking rude!!

That's why for the most part I do try to keep my arguments/debates/in-depth philosophical discussions/harsh musical criticisms with people I feel have gotten to know me a little bit, thinking they'll be more likely to be able to handle the way in which I express myself. Such as my use of exaggeration, hyperbole, superlatives, sarcasm and colorfully expressive and sometimes salty language, in hopes they won't get upset or feel I'm being unreasonably harsh or inapropriaate with them when I'm just being flippant or half joking as is almost always the case. I get that I can be an opinionated, loudmouthed asshole at times who is prone to throw his opinion in the ring on subjects uninvited, and it's inevitable that I will inadvertently step on some less assertive people's toes from time to time. But if those people are my friends, I figure there's a better chance they'll come away understanding that's just me and I really didn't mean anything by it.

I kind of don't care who I do all that with, within reason. Most of the time I will pick the audience, like you do, but there is occasional times I'll just throw my 2 cents worth in for the sake of entertaining me. But usually those sort of conversations are better had with people that you have a rapport with.

meatheads.

Meatheads?

Fucking meatheads?

Now you've really fucking offended me!

Magnesis - La Bête du Gévaudan (2020)

Title of the album in English: The Beast of Gévaudan.

Concept album by a French progressive rock band based on a dark story in French history: the beast of Gévaudan. The Gévaudan is a region where it is said that in the past, a wolf was rampant in the countryside, killing peasants without ever being found.

A wolf was finally killed, but no one could ever prove that it was the right wolf... Or if it was really a wolf hiding behind all these murders.

Lȧȧz Rockit - Know your enemy (1987)