What Are You Listening To?

khaos

11 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Welch ....

As @Thatguy says, it's definitely Welsh. I couldn't help chuckling all the way through reading the post. And the sound of a squelching gumboot came into my head.

You're better off reading the Wikipedia page because I am bound to get something wrong. But, from my meagre understanding....

Wales has some kind of assembly/governing body but the big shit comes from Westminster. I presume Welsh language is taught in schools to a token degree. All the road signs there are bi-lingual. It is very obvious when you pass through the border (no, no border control! There are a million roads and country lanes in and out). There are a lot of Ls. You probably would hear the language in a country pub in Wales but by and large everything is English.

I like Wales because the countryside has great hiking. Tends to have lower population density. And lots of castles for suppressing the locals.

I am not sure if it is technically a country or not. I had a welch (squelching gumboot) mate and used to like pissing him off by saying "what's it like in your principality?"

But it is part of these United Kingdoms and it's a great place to visit. I'd probably live there if I could. Better hiking than around here anyhow.

Will check out Windhand. I never would have noticed it was "high pitched school girl" vocals in MWWB. I suppose it is. Not bovered.

I had the first Korn album and it's hard to know how I feel about it now. Luckily I had already been schooled on 70s and 80s metal so it was never going to be a substitute. Back before nu-metal had been identified it was just another band that I listened to along with the early 90s death metal staples. Then it became more mainstream and they didn't need me anymore....which in itself is a convenient misrememberation; they had a big record label and marketing money behind them from the beginning. 

8 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Of course it is. Who else would it be about? 😁 Not sure who else's opinions you think I should be contributing here on the board if not my own. The consensus opinion maybe? (relax, that was just a little joke)

I mean that particular comment I made was about Tom Morello and his very successful former 90's mainstream nu-metal band RATM. But in a larger sense that was my personal take on great musicianship not being enough to save bad music all by itself, which popped into my head when I read your post. I wasn't even trying to be provocative or controversial, I thought that was one of my more reasonable takes.

You are as always free to disagree Marky Mark. Your opinions are as valid and valued as anyone else's.

NP: HULDER Live @ Boggs Social [Atlanta, GA 07/18/22

Nah, I don't care one way or another about Morello. I have a couple RAGTM albums from the day. I just wonder why you think you have to weigh in on every band or album anyone posts about. I think we are all well aware of your tastes at this point. 

NP -Facetooth/Remnants of the Vessel -checking out a self described LA based Fairy Doom Band-easy on the ears ethereal chick doom. 

On 1/10/2023 at 12:08 PM, JamesT said:

Enforced - "Kill Grid" (album)

This album absolutely rips!  Nine tracks of pure, heavy thrash chaos.  The vocals border on more of a death metal style at times.  I cannot recommend this one highly enough.  

Would love to check them out, but for this from their bandcamp:

"all major streaming platforms" means "we are beholden to century media and we won't get paid fuck all for streams, we are so stupid we actively participate in the devaluation of our own music"

Goddamn I hate Century Media. 

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

THE HOWLING VOID - Into Darkness Ever More Profound. Gloomy but maybe a bit too pretty.

ILLUMINE - in shifting light. Riffs. Interesting harmonies. All good.

I for one enjoy GG ranting about every band he doesn't like. Keep it up, my man.

I didn’t really get gloomy from that album, I agree though the melodic lines are at odds with the tone I think they were trying to achieve.

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

I for one enjoy GG ranting about every band he doesn't like. Keep it up, my man.

That's patently untrue Doc my refined comrade, Bavarian Motor Works/EV enthusiast and trusted confidant. I don't rant about every band I don't like. In fact I let the vast majority of them get away unscathed. If I tried to rant about all of them I would be essentially chained to the computer desk, unabe to step away for the time it would take me to prepare a meal or even to just take a dump or wash my nuts.

It is lamentable that this is how I have come to be seen by some of my forum colleagues, as this cranky irascible guy with the bad attitude who hates everything, the proverbial old curmudgeon shaking his fist at the skies. I don't see myself that way of course, not remotely, but I suppose it's understandable how others might get that impression, especially if they only know me by my internet persona.

From time to time it does occur to me to make a conscious effort to restrain myself and bite my tongue. (note that I didn't say a single word about Howling Void) But that never lasts very long because I wear my heart on my sleeve and when something pops into my head my natural instinct is to post first and then worry about cleaning up the mess that could make later. But I can assure you I mean no harm. My aim is simply to entertian. We're all friends here, right? A little prodding shouldn't be such a big deal. If we can't have a free exchange of ideas among our metal forum comrades then what's the point?

I have observed that most civilized people in our society allow themselves to be guided by the old adage: if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all. But that's just not me. For better or worse I'm gonna give you both barrels, the bad along with the good. Naturally I expect others to do the same (because who doesn't love reading a good rant or witty quip about some shitty band?) although clearly most of us aren't prepared to go that route and prefer to stay quiet and keep their more negative thoughts to themselves, as is of course their perogative.

But I for one would welcome more general dissent. I'd like to see the mainstream community ethos challenged more consistently. Where are all my fellow counterculture contrarian malcontents? We're metalheads aren't we? We're supposed to be goats, not sheep.

NP: Vampyroteuthis Infernalis - Vampyroteuthis Infernalis 

2 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Waffle, waffle, waffle....

But I for one would welcome more general dissent. I'd like to see the mainstream community ethos challenged more consistently. Where are all my fellow counterculture contrarian malcontents? We're metalheads aren't we? We're supposed to be goats, not sheep.

Dissent, mild disagreement or outright love and fuzzy feelings, forums exist for people to post shit to. The alternative is a hundred posts all saying "this place is dead".

Dissent all you like you grumpy bastard but if you ever pick on my pink hat and purple polka dotted shorts you're off the Christmas list.

However the thought does occur that if we all do follow down the same path of dissenting malcontents are still not all sheep just of a different breed?

Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath

1 hour ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

I didn’t really get gloomy from that album, I agree though the melodic lines are at odds with the tone I think they were trying to achieve.

Well put. It was faux gloomy.

37 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

That's patently untrue Doc

Well, not every band. I agree life is too short for that. I meant what I said though and agree with Orca. Without dissent and a bit of argy-bargy the forum will die. We are grown ups and can disagree without provoking sulkiness.

28 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

Dissent, mild disagreement or outright love and fuzzy feelings, forums exist for people to post shit to. The alternative is a hundred posts all saying "this place is dead".

However the thought does occur that if we all do follow down the same path of dissenting malcontents are still not all sheep just of a different breed?

Why would you think that we'd all follow down the same path? Wouldn't all these different people with their vastly different musical tastes have widely divergent paths for their dissent? If we all followed down the same path as one another then it wouldn't be dissent at all anymore then, would it? It'd be mindless scene conformity. Which is exactly what I'm against. The point isn't to always disagree or dissent at all times just for the sake of it. The point is to all to be more open and more real with our thoughts and opinions be they positive or negative or whatever they may be, but still keep things friendly without being total dicks to each other.

Friends should be able to subjectively disagree about music and stuff and still remain friends because they understand it's nothing personal. For the entirety of my time on the interwebs I have watched people get butt-hurt when someone else disagrees with them or trashes some music they might happen to like. I guess I don't understand that, or can't relate to that because that's not how I'm inclined to react when someone trashes some shit that I like. We've all found our ways here at least in part due to a desire to interact with others and exchange ideas about music, right? I know when dropping pearls of wisdom or going into any discussion that my musical tastes are rather unique and not seen as typical even by most of my fellow metal community. And so I've learned to expect dissent and pushback without ever taking it personally. It just doesn't bother me at all, in fact it feels a little weird when I don't get it. Not sure why it surprises me anymore that others can often be a bit more more sensitive and thin-skinned. 

49 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

We are grown ups

Are you really sure about that?