What Are You Listening To?

khaos

The Howling Void - Into Darkness Evermore Profound

Funeral doom isn’t what I expected my first new release of 2023 would be, and I have to say this really isn’t overly impressive. Too much focus on atmospheric passages, which really don’t go anywhere, and the guitar melodies are much too happy for this kind of music, I want. Melancholy, and there is very little of that here.

Antichrist Imperium - Volume III: Satan In His Original Glory 

...maybe I'm the odd one out here. Seems like several of you guys love this album. The riffs aren't holding up for me. I enjoy the parts that remind me of Voices, and I don't think the album sucks as a whole, but most of the DM sections feel like they could have used more time in the oven.

47 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Antichrist Imperium - Volume III: Satan In His Original Glory 

...maybe I'm the odd one out here. Seems like several of you guys love this album. The riffs aren't holding up for me. I enjoy the parts that remind me of Voices, and I don't think the album sucks as a whole, but most of the DM sections feel like they could have used more time in the oven.

The album with the giant titties, right? I listened to it yesterday. I found it to be listenable, was a little surprised and relieved to find out it wasn't gonna be all weird and angular. The death metal parts weren't terribe but they were incredibly generic and mind-numbingly boring, nothing special or remarkabe happening here. Not sure what all the spoken word non-metal parts were all about, that kinda shit's all lost on me anyway so I ignore it, I'm just patiently waiting for the metal parts to kick in again. Definitely nothing I'd ever need to hear again. I can only assume it's must be the Akercocke connection that has everyone all fluffed up over this one. Because it couldn't be the music.

Tot aus dem Wald - Satan no Mono, rbm Germany

Kurt Vile/Watch My Moves

FKA Twigs/Caprisongs

Kevin Morby/Photograph

Smile S/T

Sharon Van Etten/We've Been Going About this All Wrong

Darkher/The Burried Storm 

Cavernlight/ As I Cast Ruin Upon the Lens that Reveals my Every Flaw

Wake/Thought from Descent-on Zack's 22 list that I've had kicking around for a few weeks not. So massive in size, the album is almost too massive and layered for for my speakers....headphones it is tonight.

Spiritworld/Deathwestern

On 1/6/2023 at 10:52 PM, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I've never heard Lawnmower Deth, because I guess I'm inherently biased against bands with household appliances and yard maintenance machines in their name. 

Tried out that new Chat Pile record everyone's been talking about to see what it was all about, and as I suspected it's totally not my thing. I do enjoy their bass forward approach, like my buddy Jon-O says you can't have metal without a bass (which he's dead wrong about - you totally can, bass just makes it more awesome. But he disappears after 5pm Friday and I know he won't show his face here again for the entire duration of the weekend, so I'll save that bass/no bass debate for another time when he's actually here to defend himself) Strangely, I haven't even felt compelled to turn this off yet 20 minutes in. But the lack of catchy riffs makes it rather boring to me. Sounds like a bunch of dudes making some cool instrumental noises and the vocalist is reading his rather poetic left-wing political rants over it all.

....Reappearing on Monday morning, right on schedule.

Lawnmower Deth was one of those comedy bands that was in pretty high rotation for me and my delinquent buddies in 1990 or whenever it was. They had a video for "Kids in America" that was fun. 

Regarding Chat Pile, your reaction is precisely the same as mine was. First few minutes was "narp, this is not for me" but inexplicably it was still playing 20 minutes later. And here I am this morning, listening again. 

It is not a million miles away from Korn. Except with communist libtard ranting in place of child abuse. It scratches a bit of a RATM itch. I don't know. Logic doesn't enter into it.

Much like when I realised that my favourite track from that MWWB album was the electronic track (▶︎ Let's Send These Bastards Whence They Came | MWWB | Mammoth Weed Wizard Bastard (bandcamp.com)). An album with fantastic female vocals and I like the instrumental track most. What the fuck is wrong with me? I've suspected for quite a while that I might like electronic music and I've been living a lie listening to metal all these years.

Although, in my (albeit weak) defence I've always assumed it's because I liked the contrast from time to time. 

I can't really win an argument on "no bass, no metal" because ...And Justice for All is still a metal record even if it would have been more awesome with bass. It is unfathomable that anyone would release a metal album without bass-y goodness in pole position. Like, you could do an album with all midi instruments, blast beats and guitars etc, that would technically be metal...but it would suck so hard.