What Are You Listening To?

khaos

Saw these guys last night opening for Goatwhore. Pretty awesome live. Death thrash out of NOLA. Super tight live. Bass player was impressive, and was playing a Rick, so you know it was going to be awesome. Talked to them after the show. Cool kids. Have a debut EP out. FFO Daeva, Oath of Cruelty

Herakleion - Cryogenic Death

11 minutes ago, navybsn said:

Saw these guys last night opening for Goatwhore. Pretty awesome live. Death thrash out of NOLA. Super tight live. Bass player was impressive, and was playing a Rick, so you know it was going to be awesome. Talked to them after the show. Cool kids. Have a debut EP out. FFO Daeva, Oath of Cruelty

Herakleion - Cryogenic Death

Good stuff, will add them to the playlist over on Metal Academy for next month.

4 hours ago, JonoBlade said:

2. New

My bandcamp haul today. Trebling the number of female fronted entries on my 2022 list. I really like The Harvest by MWWB (probably best of bunch above). The vocals remind me of The Breeders or Verruca Salt or something. Those kind of laid back 90s alt-rock chick vocals.

Someone here posted Messa the other day and I liked it enough this morning on first listen.

Chat Pile is going to get quite a few listens I reckon. The atmosphere and production is right up mine alley.

Nice haul!

I've never heard Lawnmower Deth, because I guess I'm inherently biased against bands with household appliances and yard maintenance machines in their name. Now if they want to use heavy duty commercial grade machines like Demolition Hammer or Pile Driver as their name then I'm cool with that.

Chat Pile

Tried out that new Chat Pile record everyone's been talking about to see what it was all about, and as I suspected it's totally not my thing. I do enjoy their bass forward approach, like my buddy Jon-O says you can't have metal without a bass (which he's dead wrong about - you totally can, bass just makes it more awesome. But he disappears after 5pm Friday and I know he won't show his face here again for the entire duration of the weekend, so I'll save that bass/no bass debate for another time when he's actually here to defend himself) Strangely, I haven't even felt compelled to turn this off yet 20 minutes in. But the lack of catchy riffs makes it rather boring to me. Sounds like a bunch of dudes making some cool instrumental noises and the vocalist is reading his rather poetic left-wing political rants over it all. A bit Morrison-esque, almost like a modern day punky-sludgey The Doors in spots. But I keep waiting for the catchy guitar riffs to come in, you know, for the actual "song" to start, but at almost 25 minutes in now (which puts me closer to the end of this album than the beginning) there's just nothing interesting happening on the musical front. I'm not a big fan of The Doors either tbh but at least they had catchy songs I could hum along to. And even though I'm pretty aligned with the left-wing rants, that's not what I'm looking for from a metal album. I want riffs. No riffs - no dice.

Temple of Void - Summoning the Slayer, Detroit Michigan. Moving on from the sludgey-crusties, I've rediscovered this death/doom album that I hadn't listened to since it came out back in June, and I've been digging it. Today makes 3 days in a row I've listened to this one along with some of their other albums here and there as well. I guess that makes me a normie mainstreamer hypocrite or something but hey man, if I like it I like it. Lords of Death was my #1 aoty back in '17 as well so I do have a previous history with these dudes. 

STRIKE - Fast & Loud

5 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I've never heard Lawnmower Deth, because I guess I'm inherently biased against bands with household appliances and yard maintenance machines in their name. Now if they want to use heavy duty commercial grade machines like Demolition Hammer or Pile Driver as their name then I'm cool with that.

Chat Pile

Tried out that new Chat Pile record everyone's been talking about to see what it was all about, and as I suspected it's totally not my thing. I do enjoy their bass forward approach, like my buddy Jon-O says you can't have metal without a bass (which he's dead wrong about - you totally can, bass just makes it more awesome. But he disappears after 5pm Friday and I know he won't show his face here again for the entire duration of the weekend, so I'll save that bass/no bass debate for another time when he's actually here to defend himself) Strangely, I haven't even felt compelled to turn this off yet 20 minutes in. But the lack of catchy riffs makes it rather boring to me. Sounds like a bunch of dudes making some cool instrumental noises and the vocalist is reading his rather poetic left-wing political rants over it all. A bit Morrison-esque, almost like a modern day punky-sludgey The Doors in spots. But I keep waiting for the catchy guitar riffs to come in, you know, for the actual "song" to start, but at almost 25 minutes in now (which puts me closer to the end of this album than the beginning) there's just nothing interesting happening on the musical front. I'm not a big fan of The Doors either tbh but at least they had catchy songs I could hum along to. And even though I'm pretty aligned with the left-wing rants, that's not what I'm looking for from a metal album. I want riffs. No riffs - no dice.

Temple of Void - Summoning the Slayer, Detroit Michigan. Moving on from the sludgey-crusties, I've rediscovered this death/doom album that I hadn't listened to since it came out back in June, and I've been digging it. Today makes 3 days in a row I've listened to this one along with some of their other albums here and there as well. I guess that makes me a normie mainstreamer hypocrite or something but hey man, if I like it I like it. Lords of Death was my #1 aoty back in '17 as well so I do have a previous history with these dudes. 

...so.....TEMPLE OF VOID is mainstream?.....according to what flat-lining idiot?....don't you worry WhiteNoise....I dig them a lot too.....

5 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

While I do agree that George and the Washing Machines and Uncle Bucks Refrigerator aren't great bands, I do store my Lawnmower next to my Demolishion hammer in the shed so to me they are both acceptable.

2 hours ago, MarkhantonioYeatts said:

...so.....TEMPLE OF VOID is mainstream?.....according to what flat-lining idiot?....don't you worry WhiteNoise....I dig them a lot too.....

Yep, I like it too. I saved so much stuff in my Bandcamp wishlist in 2022 that I decided wasn't essential and passed on in my effort to be more selective and that included this album ("nah, I can live without that") that I see touted now. I've been revisiting a lot of those albums. That ToV album is totally solid.

2 hours ago, MarkhantonioYeatts said:

Haha back in the Metal-Fi days on our last forum Goldy ripped me a new one for having Temple of Void as my #1 for 2017. (narrowly edging out Phrenelith) Told me I should hand in my kvlt card because it was mainstream LCD pedestrian "normie" bullshit. Pablum. Of course he ran with the prog-pansy crowd who felt that anything that wasn't prog or avant-garde or really just anything just too accessible or too predictable or too meat & potatoes was essentially worthless. I remember him being quite enamoured with Jute Gyte at the time and also stuff like Imperial Triumphant and Pyrrhon who I couldn't listen to if they paid me.

CASTROL - Faster! Lethal!

49 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Haha back in the Metal-Fi days on our last forum Goldy ripped me a new one for having Temple of Void as my #1 for 2017. (narrowly edging out Phrenelith) Told me I should hand in my kvlt card because it was mainstream LCD pedestrian "normie" bullshit. Pablum. Of course he ran with the prog-pansy crowd who felt that anything that wasn't prog or avant-garde or really just anything just too accessible or too predictable or too meat & potatoes was essentially worthless. I remember him being quite enamoured with Jute Gyte at the time and also stuff like Imperial Triumphant and Pyrrhon who I couldn't listen to if they paid me.

....this Goldy person sounds like he needs to size up(...or is it down?...) a couple of notches on the skinny jeans.....

.....I like PYRRHON, however......they're just not as good as NEGATIVA, DRUG HONKEY or EHNAHRE...

On 8/5/2022 at 8:16 PM, Thatguy said:

ALTARS - Ascetic Reflection. My other current go to.

Haha seems Doc already posted this one 5 months ago, but I ignored it as I do many of Doc's recs because I'm probably thinking they'll be Krallice clones or meandering ambient atonal shoegaze or something. But now tonight I stumbled across this video and started listening to it, and when the intro was finally over and the riffs kicked in I thought "hey this isn't bad." Unfortunately now on track 4 they're meandering again. They've gotta be a bunch of narcoleptics. I think these guys could be really good if they could stop nodding off and maybe wake the fuck up and focus a little more. Maybe they could use some uppers to help them pay attention. Still, even most of the cool death metal parts here are right on the very edge of being too dissonant for me, so while I'll enjoy finishing this and I'll stay til the end this won't be coming home to join the rest of the gang in the goat paddock. I guess they were right, this is better for the Ulcerate, Gorguts, Portal crowd.

Doc has not posted since 9:46 am Thurs your time. He's gone walkabout. Apparently the drive he was preparing to take Mrs Doc on took longer than he or she or any of us expected. I'm sure he'll find his way back in good time. I doubt he'd let let himself fall prey to the bunyips out in the wop wops. He's pretty crafty that Doc.

"Gone Walkabout Will Return" $1,550 @ Munganbana Aboriginal Art Gallery Queensland.

Gone Walkabout Will Return - Munganbana Aboriginal Art Gallery

Ensanguinate - Eldritch Anatomy, Slovenia

Doctors in this country aren't known for their sense of direction. He was probably holding the map the wrong way and instead of turning right he's turned left and headed for the desert. The next we'll hear from him he'll be three hours and twenty years behind in Perth asking how to get home.

Motherslug - The Electric Dunes Of Titan

6 hours ago, AlSymerz said:

Has Doc come back from the drive he was organising the other day?

Yep. I'm back. It wasn't just a drive. We went to stay with some friends at Coledale (I know GG will look it up and become an expert on Coledale).

The playlist went down well and produced exactly the emotions in both of us that I expected

12 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Tried out that new Chat Pile record everyone's been talking about to see what it was all about, and as I suspected it's totally not my thing

I don't like it either. But you are totally wrong about bass and I look forward to the argument you will have with J.

6 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

seems Doc already posted this one 5 months ago

I still like it but it didn't make my list.