What Are You Listening To?

khaos

52 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Mork - The new dawn of Norwegian black metal? [Rauta interview] I know there aren't that many hardcore black metal freaks like me here, but I enjoy Mork and I found this interesting. 

That Rauta channel is great. Lots of cool interviews on there. For some Finnish white trash hilarity, check out the Barathrum and Azazel interviews.

2 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Where's Mindy?

She's old now Doc, has you beat even by 5 years.  She's doing what old black metal widows do I would assume, home in the kitchen baking pies, vacuuming and crocheting blankets 'n shit.

Pam Dawber - October 2021 by silverfox2159 on DeviantArt

1 hour ago, zackflag said:

That Rauta channel is great. Lots of cool interviews on there. For some Finnish white trash hilarity, check out the Barathrum and Azazel interviews.

I saw the Azazel one the other night it was indeed hilarious. I'll have to dial up the Barathrum one, I love Barathrum. My favorite is still the one with Archgoat's Lord Angelslayer where they're tasting the beers.

Barathrum at Tuska 2017 with Demonos Sova,  

First Archgoat video interview ever! Black metal veterans in Turku! During the interview Rauta claims it's guitarist Ritual Butcherer he's interviewing, but I don't know, I know they're brothers but this sure looks like bandleader Lord Angelslayer bass/vocals. Ritual Butcherer has his head shaved in most pics I've seen as well as the time I saw them live in 2017, maybe this is what he looks like with hair.

8 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Kevin Morby - This is a Photograph. Well alrighty then, let's have a look at what a modern day indie folk blues rocker's latest Dylanesque 2022 album sounds like. Dude definitely sounds like a throwback to the late 70's. A modern but very minimal take on Dylan meets Neil Young meets Tom Petty - but smoother than any of them. Banjos and strings notwithstanding, I get why you might dig this. It's pleasant enough I guess, I don't really mind it, but it's probably a bit too milquetoasty for me. Each song seems to have a bt of a different feel to it, I was expecting to hear some more up front acoustic guitar strumming, but it seems to be missing and instead they went in favor of strings and harps and a pedal steel guitar and a sax and some other decidedly less rock & rolly instrumentation and what sounds like some kids doing backing vocals on some tracks and a woman on some others. Not really my thing so I guess I'll just have to keep looking for the next Bob Dylan. I'm sure it has a very high WAF though. 

Yea, I might have said later period Dylan rather than his 60's purely folk stuff. You might give Kurt Vile a go. He's over 40 now. One of better current gen rock guitarists but on the laid back slacker side-with stoner (I.e.-not very) good vocals like if the front dude from Fu Manchu decided to play in a mellow slowcore classic rock band with stream of consciousness lyrics as he piddles around the house, drinks a beer, muses about life. 

19 hours ago, KillaKukumba said:

Yeah I think I need to revisit my end of year list because Terrörhammer wasn't on the purchased list that I finished going through yesterday.

You still have 10 more days left in the year. What if the album of the century comes out next week? I don't even start working on mine until sometime in mid January. I almost always find something eminently list worthy in the last week of December or January. Why so many black metal bands seem to wait until the last week of the year to release their albums I'll never know. Just to fuck with me I suppose, they must get a kick out of making me rearrange my list each year.

I can edit, but I have looked at new release list and at the moment there is nothing else I want to get this year.

I actually start doing my list in the first week or so of December. Once I have all the albums of the current year listed I start at the top and listen to each one again and see where they sit. Sometimes that only takes a few weeks, but there has been years where it's taken well into January. This year I haven't bought as much as I have in previous years so I only had to listen to about 20 albums.

Yeah, I have a few more than 20 I need to refresh my memory on so it takes me several weeks. I had my first 20 by sometime in March. But then I always get off to a slow start each year because my January is fully consumed by listening to the previous year's stuff while making my list. Sometimes that process can take up half of February too. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Join Metal Forum

joinus-home.jpg

• Our picks

• Whichever tier of thrash metal you consigned Sacred Reich back in the 80's/90's they still had their moments.  "Ignorance" & "Surf Nicaragura" did a great job of establishing the band, whereas "The American Way" just got a little to comfortable and accessible (the title track grates nowadays) for my ears.  A couple more records better left forgotten about and then nothing for twenty three years.  2019 alone has now seen three releases from Phil Rind and co.  A live EP, a split EP with Iron Reagan and now a full length.

Notable addition to the ranks for the current throng of releases is former Machine Head sticksman, Dave McClean.  Love or hate Machine Head, McClean is a more than capable drummer and his presence here is felt from the off with the opening and title track kicking things off with some real gusto.  'Divide & Conquer' and 'Salvation' muddle along nicely, never quite reaching any quality that would make my balls tingle but comfortable enough.  The looming build to 'Manifest Reality' delivers a real punch when the song starts proper.  Frenzied riffs and drums with shots of lead work to hold the interest.

There's a problem already though (I know, I am such a fucking mood hoover).  I don't like Phil's vocals.  I never had if I am being honest.  The aggression to them seems a little forced even when they are at their best on tracks like 'Manifest Reality'.  When he tries to sing it just feels weak though ('Salvation') and tracks lose real punch.  Give him a riffy number such as 'Killing Machine' and he is fine with the Reich engine (probably a poor choice of phrase) up in sixth gear.  For every thrashy riff there's a fair share of rock edged, local bar act rhythm aplenty too.

Let's not poo-poo proceedings though, because overall I actually enjoy "Awakening".  It is stacked full of catchy riffs that are sticky on the old ears.  Whilst not as raw as perhaps the - brilliant - artwork suggests with its black and white, tattoo flash sheet style design it is enjoyable enough.  Yes, 'Death Valley' & 'Something to Believe' have no place here, saved only by Arnett and Radziwill's lead work but 'Revolution' is a fucking 80's thrash heyday throwback to the extent that if you turn the TV on during it you might catch a new episode of Cheers!

3/5
      • Reputation Points

• 10 replies
    • I
      • Reputation Points

• 2 replies
    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/52-vltimas-something-wicked-marches-in/
      • Reputation Points

• 3 replies

• https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/48-candlemass-the-door-to-doom/
      • Reputation Points

• 2 replies
    • Full length number 19 from overkill certainly makes a splash in the energy stakes, I mean there's some modern thrash bands that are a good two decades younger than Overkill who can only hope to achieve the levels of spunk that New Jersey's finest produce here.  That in itself is an achievement, for a band of Overkill's stature and reputation to be able to still sound relevant four decades into their career is no mean feat.  Even in the albums weaker moments it never gets redundant and the energy levels remain high.  There's a real sense of a band in a state of some renewed vigour, helped in no small part by the addition of Jason Bittner on drums.  The former Flotsam & Jetsam skinsman is nothing short of superb throughout "The Wings of War" and seems to have squeezed a little extra out of the rest of his peers.

The album kicks of with a great build to opening track "Last Man Standing" and for the first 4 tracks of the album the Overkill crew stomp, bash and groove their way to a solid level of consistency.  The lead work is of particular note and Blitz sounds as sneery and scathing as ever.  The album is well produced and mixed too with all parts of the thrash machine audible as the five piece hammer away at your skull with the usual blend of chugging riffs and infectious anthems.  

There are weak moments as mentioned but they are more a victim of how good the strong tracks are.  In it's own right "Distortion" is a solid enough - if not slightly varied a journey from the last offering - but it just doesn't stand up well against a "Bat Shit Crazy" or a "Head of a Pin".  As the album draws to a close you get the increasing impression that the last few tracks are rescued really by some great solos and stomping skin work which is a shame because trimming of a couple of tracks may have made this less obvious. 

4/5
      • Reputation Points

• 4 replies