What Are You Listening To?

khaos

27 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

My top 10 this year might not even have a real metal album at number 1.

Shocking  🤯

Lemme guess, your top 5 spots will all be reserved for Aussies King Wizard and his Lizard Gizzards?

Witchery - Restless & Dead, black/thrash Sweden 1998. Haven't listened to these guys in over a decade. Tried the new one for just a minute but it was a no-go. So I went back to the debut. First two records are where it's at for Witchery.

Perversion - Dies Irae, death/thrash out of Detroit Motor City

2 hours ago, Sheol said:

Metallica - Live Shit: Binge & Purge - Seattle 1989

Possibly the best live metal album of all time.

There is only one correct answer to that question:

Iron Maiden - Live After Death

I don't even think I would have Metallica in my top 5 live albums. I'm not sure it could compete with any of these:

Judas Priest - Unleashed in the East

Rush - A Show of Hands

Thin Lizzy - Live and Dangerous

Motorhead - No Sleep til Hammersmith 

Scorpions - Tokyo Tapes (although some days I would have World Wide Live here)

So maybe I'd put it at 7-8.

7 hours ago, KillaKukumba said:

Voivod - Synchro Anarchy

I like that Voivod. I think the only other recent Voivod I've got is Target Earth and their S/T. It's not revolutionary but quirky and enjoyable and adventurous. Dead, Mr. OSDM with guts and venom, there is NO WAY you like this album!

7 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Nah, this ain't gonna be a bad one. We were just to the northwest of the rain/snow line most of the day, and then I saw it had turned to ice or sleet while I was cooking dinner around 7. They said we'd get like 1" to 3" and we should be in that range, but you know what the layer of ice does to it overnight. Roads will be a shit show tomorrow morning. Kids had early dismissal today and they'll have a 2 hour delayed opening tomorrow. I'll take the extra sleep as well. Instead of the 2 hours I usually get maybe I'll get 4! 

SpiritWorld - Deathwestern. Looks like it should be the cover of Red Dead Redemption III. This sounds like crossover thrash to me. Probably would have liked this in the late 80's. Has a lot more in common with Iron Reagan than Integrity. I don't hate it, I guess it's "fun" but this will definitely not be a purchase.

I never know your reactions, I thought given it's out on a major it would be too clean and polished. I'm digging this like I might something along the lines of Suicidal Tendencies or like that Integrity album, a HC vox album with a band that clearly is in love with classic metal riffage. 

43 minutes ago, navybsn said:

There is only one correct answer to that question:

Iron Maiden - Live After Death

I don't even think I would have Metallica in my top 5 live albums. I'm not sure it could compete with any of these:

Judas Priest - Unleashed in the East

Rush - A Show of Hands

Thin Lizzy - Live and Dangerous

Motorhead - No Sleep til Hammersmith 

Scorpions - Tokyo Tapes (although some days I would have World Wide Live here)

So maybe I'd put it at 7-8.

Every Metallica live show I ever heard sounded too out of tune (do they even have a bona fide official live album? - not just a thrown together VHS box set). Being at a show is fine when its so loud you can't hear any details, but on record all their flaws are exposed. 

I've posted before about why I find the original double LP of Live After Death disappointing. Disc 4 is from a different show and feels like the middle of a gig, not a triumphant finale. For these poor production choices, it cannot be considered definitive. The VHS by contrast is excellent. It ends with Sanctuary and actually feels like a conclusion of a life changing night out.

For me Priest...Live! was a staple of my youth....but again the VHS is superior. It closes with Hell Bent for Leather for chrissakes, as opposed to the terminally lame You Got Another Thing Comin' of the LP. The VHS also includes Desert Plains and The Green Manalishi which are omitted from the LP.

People hail Unleashed in the East and its fine but a single disc is not epic enough to capture a band's live prowess. Halford explains in his biography that the vocals were indeed recorded separately (because he had a bad cold on the night) back in the UK, but more or less in single takes with an SM58. Once you know that, even if it sounds good, it is disqualified as a live album.

My other favourite as a lad was Queen : Live Killers. This one is derided for bad production as the band produced it themselves. I never noticed as a 12 year old.

W.A.S.P. Live...in the Raw. Fucking love that one. For years it was the only WASP album I owned....and the two best tracks are ONLY on that album, so it is pretty much the definitive WASP album for me. 

5 minutes ago, JonoBlade said:

Every Metallica live show I ever heard sounded too out of tune (do they even have a bona fide official live album? - not just a thrown together VHS box set). Being at a show is fine when its so loud you can't hear any details, but on record all their flaws are exposed. 

I've posted before about why I find the original double LP of Live After Death disappointing. Disc 4 is from a different show and feels like the middle of a gig, not a triumphant finale. For these poor production choices, it cannot be considered definitive. The VHS by contrast is excellent. It ends with Sanctuary and actually feels like a conclusion of a life changing night out.

For me Priest...Live! was a staple of my youth....but again the VHS is superior. It closes with Hell Bent for Leather for chrissakes, as opposed to the terminally lame You Got Another Thing Comin' of the LP. The VHS also includes Desert Plains and The Green Manalishi which are omitted from the LP.

People hail Unleashed in the East and its fine but a single disc is not epic enough to capture a band's live prowess. Halford explains in his biography that the vocals were indeed recorded separately (because he had a bad cold on the night) back in the UK, but more or less in single takes with an SM58. Once you know that, even if it sounds good, it is disqualified as a live album.

My other favourite as a lad was Queen : Live Killers. This one is derided for bad production as the band produced it themselves. I never noticed as a 12 year old.

W.A.S.P. Live...in the Raw. Fucking love that one. For years it was the only WASP album I owned....and the two best tracks are ONLY on that album, so it is pretty much the definitive WASP album for me. 

Yeah, I knew I was forgetting something. That Queen album deserves a spot on the list. I will say, I do have a problem with Unleashed in the East - it sounds too thin. I much prefer the sound on Priest Live, but the song selection is a touch better on Unleashed. I agree that Hell Bent for Leather is a better closer.

For Live After Death, I usually only listen to the Long Beach portion of the show and treat the Odeon set as a different disc altogether. It does make it a bit incongruent, but sides 1-3 are just the tits.

I've always preferred the VHS versions. Seeing the band is better IMO and it's a better representation of the set.

15 minutes ago, markm said:

I like that Voivod. I think the only other recent Voivod I've got is Target Earth and their S/T. It's not revolutionary but quirky and enjoyable and adventurous. Dead, Mr. OSDM with guts and venom, there is NO WAY you like this album!

I never know your reactions, I thought given it's out on a major it would be too clean and polished. I'm digging this like I might something along the lines of Suicidal Tendencies or like that Integrity album, a HC vox album with a band that clearly is in love with classic metal riffage. 

That's cool man, you can dig stuff that I don't approve of, it's OK!

It's too clean and polished for me yes, but even more than that it came across as more of a joke album to me, like Austrian Death Machine or Zimmer's Hole or some goofy shit like that, like more of a parody of the genre as opposed to a serious musical statement. Nothing whatsoever wrong with that, it's just not really my thing. It's the kind of thing I can hear once and smile at it, and then never need to hear it ever again til the end of time. But if you think it's a fun record and it scratches some gang vox itch for you and you think you'll actually listen to it then by all means get it. My opinion should be all but irrelevant to what you think of something.

Now musically, you say "along the lines of" but then mention two bands, Suicidal and Integrity where I absolutely love the one, but cannot stand the other (except for the first album I guess). So I'm not quite understanding which lines you're talking about. Again, I get Iron Reagan crossover vibes from this, but a poor man's version because IR themselves are much better at this schtick imo. Maybe skip this and look to pick up one of their records?

IRON REAGAN - "I Won't Go" (Official Music Video)

IRON REAGAN Live at Brooklyn Bazaar Jan. 12, 2018

No need for me to comment on the new Voivod record. I'm sure you know where I stand with them.

And as predicted the school district has called an hour ago to tell me school will be cancelled today due to icy road conditions. Another 3 day weekend. That's alright, I've been fighting off this cold and drinking Emergen-C all week, this will give me a chance to get past this thing before he can transport more deadly germs home from his little snot nosed friends.

In my favourite live records :

- Live after Death (Iron Maiden)
- Decade of Aggression (Slayer)
- Live at the Marquee (Dream Theater)
- The Year of the Voyager (Nevermore)
- World Wide Live (Scorpions)
- Wrecking your Neck (OverKill)
- Trianon 50 years (Ange)

Not all of them are sonically perfect, but it's always a pleasure to listen to them.

I enjoy watching live videos, but I'll generally pass on live albums if they're audio only. Except maybe for No Sleep Til Hammersmith or Live & Dangerous. Those are the only two I can think of off the top of my head. Back in the day all live albums were doctored and overdubbed, that was just SOP in those days. So they weren't truly "live" albums, more like just based on and simulating the atmosphere of live performances. No thanks. I prefer studio albums. That's why I never really bought live albums in my younger days especially from bands where I already had the underlying studio albums. Exclusive tracks be damned.

I did buy Unleashed, it was actually my very first Priest record released way back when in Sept '79 during my brief two semester college career. But I haven't listened to it in 35 years as the track list for me leaves so much to be desired. I don't like most of their 70's stuff. The only good thing I can say about that record now was that it contained the definitive version of Green Manilishi, but that was a cover song.

I loved Wrecking Your Neck, but of course that was a video. If it had been just audio I would have passed on it, even being an Overkill fanboi for most of my life. I already have all the records and even as much as I love the band and loved going to their shows, musically speaking they have never been able to compete with their own records live.

Haven't ever heard the Maiden, Rush or Queen live albums. Not a big enough fan of any of them to care about their live albums I guess. I did have a live VHS tape of Alice in Chains I used to like to watch sometimes if that counts. I bought it in Tower Records but I think it was a bootleg.

11 hours ago, Dead1 said:

pork-roast4-300x225.jpg

I was honestly planning to just not say anything, but I can't fucking help myself. Dude I just have to ask, what's the story with the random uncaptioned picture of your dinner?

I guess what I really want to know is can adult humans actually survive on one little slice of roast pork, 9 mini potatoes (those are potatoes, right?) and 3 lonely broccoli florettes? And no sign of any kind of sauce or gravy?!? Not even jus?? Was that plate for your young daughter maybe? Or could it be those were just some leftovers you finished off for lunch and that's all that was left? Or is this how you manage to afford metal albums by splitting up one adult portion between 3 people and calling it dinner? I would have to double the potatoes and quadruple the pork and veggies. And whip up some kind of sauce. But then I only really eat one meal a day (unless you count my afternoon coffee as a meal) so I don't want to starve myself. Do you eat multiple meals all throughout the day maybe so you don't need to eat a large evening meal?

1 slice roast pork no gravy 104 calories

10 roasted mini potatoes 220 calories

1 cup steamed broccoli florettes 20 calories

14oz coffee with cream & sugar 140 calories

1 Yuengling Black & Tan 154 calories

Yeah, there's no way I could survive for long on 640 calories a day. 

4 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I was honestly planning to just not say anything, but I can't fucking help myself. Dude I just have to ask, what's the story with the random uncaptioned picture of your dinner?

I guess what I really want to know is can adult humans actually survive on one little slice of roast pork, 9 mini potatoes (those are potatoes, right?) and 3 lonely broccoli florettes? And no sign of any kind of sauce or gravy?!? Not even jus?? Was that plate for your young daughter maybe? Or could it be those were just some leftovers you finished off for lunch and that's all that was left? Or is this how you manage to afford metal albums by splitting up one adult portion between 3 people and calling it dinner? I would have to double the potatoes and quadruple the pork and veggies. And whip up some kind of sauce. But then I only really eat one meal a day (unless you count my afternoon coffee as a meal) so I don't want to starve myself. Do you eat multiple meals all throughout the day maybe so you don't need to eat a large evening meal?

1 slice roast pork no gravy 104 calories

10 roasted mini potatoes 220 calories

1 cup steamed broccoli florettes 20 calories

14oz coffee with cream & sugar 140 calories

1 Yuengling Black & Tan 154 calories

Yeah, there's no way I could survive for long on 640 calories a day. 

I will wager, Death was making a visual point of your meat and potatoes DM post that he thought was banal .

1 hour ago, markm said:

I will wager, Death was making a visual point of your meat and potatoes DM post that he thought was banal .

Well yeah, that was my first thought obviously, but then after mulling it over for a bit I dismissed it as improbable because it just wasn't a very good picture of meat & potatoes. Could have found a million better meat & potatoes pics on the web. But that's not even the point anymore, that pic still had to come from somewhere. For all we know it could have even been accidental. Maybe that pic was meant for someone else entirely, I have no idea. Maybe he snapped a pic to show his brother in Zagreb what his new budget had reduced him to having to eat for dinner but he posted it in the wrong app and we got it instead of his brother.

But regardless of why he posted it, the thing is I now have to get to the bottom of where did the pic originate and whose dinner was that? Because it was obviously someone's actual dinner. And I can't get over the fact that some poor bastard had to choke down that dry piece of pork with no gravy or sauce. That's just wrong. And why only 3 pieces of broccoli? They couldn't afford more, or they only had one crown on hand and had to split it with several unexpected dinner guests so everyone could only get 3?

The pic looked like an attachment, like a pic from someone's phone or something, it was clearly not a professionally photographed image pulled from the interwebs like the ones I usually grab because I have been unable to figure out how the attachment process works here. Like Surge and his 6 empty photos from the other day. I believe he had actual photos but they just wouldn't display. Maybe Deadly could have grabbed that pork pic off FB or Twitter or somewhere like that I don't know. Or it could have been his dinner from the night before, or a friend's dinner, or a dinner from a travel brochure or maybe it was his brother in Zagreb's dinner, or maybe it's the hospital dinner you get as a patient in one of Deadly's Tassie mental institutions...there are a million and one possibilities of whose plate that was and I need to know whose dinner that was. 

8 hours ago, markm said:

I like the album too, it just wont make my top 10 (because there is 8 King Gizzard albums to rank).

Viovod for me are a band that it takes time to enjoy. I still like and semi regularly play Dimension Hatross and Killing Technology. The new album may grow on me more as I listen to it more so by 2030 it might make my top 2022 list!

NP Dead Head - Slave Driver