What Are You Listening To?

khaos

3 hours ago, Thatguy said:

MAGAZINE - Second Hand Daylight. My favourite Magazine album.

Never heard of these boys, even though this came out way back in '79, but this really wasn't terrible at all. Much better than a sharp stick in the eye I'd say.

Chaos Luciferi - Fa Che Noi Possiamo Vivere Ancora, Venice Italy

Wraithlord - Obscurity, Flint MI

Vargsang - In the Mist of Night, 2014, just found out this is the same dude from Graven, a German bm band I really like who dropped albums in '02 & '05. Vargsang also dropped albums in '03 & '05 but then kept going to deliver these two in '08 & '14 even though M-A lists both bands as active.

Vargsang - Werewolf of Wysteria, 2008

Using this crappy rainy Sunday to revisit a bunch of shit I'd forgotten about from earlier in the year that I have on my running list of favorite 2022 albums. My "short list" has been getting a little out of hand here lately. I currently have 27 death metal entries, 41 black metal, 13 black/death, and 9 combined death/thrash, black/thrash, speed metal, hardcore and crusty grindcore. I have a month to go through and do a cull to hopefully chop some of these titles off my list before it comes time to really start working on my year end list in earnest. Of course I'll still be finding more killer shit in December as I always do, which I'm sure will offset most if not all of my culling efforts.

I've been making a conscious effort not to buy so much stuff. Guess I'm doing a little better, I have 230 releases tagged 2022 so far with a month to go. I have 345 from 2021, over 400 from 2020, 333 each from 2018 and '19, 233 from 2017 and 244 from 2016. Only 176 from 2015 and 125 from 2014. That's back when I used to have to get up before the crack of dawn for work in the morning and stay out on the road all day. I didn't have the luxury of all these discretionary hours to stay up all night and hunt for new music like I can now. I also had a wife to keep me busy when I got home from work and to drag me all over the place shopping and stuff on the weekends, not to mention a baby to take care of anytime I was home and not at work. So I could basically only scour the internet for new music late at night when everyone was sleeping back then and then go to work on 2 or 3 hours sleep. It's a wonder I never fell asleep at the wheel and killed anyone. Sleep is overrated anyway, there'll be plenty of time to sleep when I'm dead. And at my advanced age that could be any day now.

Sepulchral Rift - Void Sorcery, Sweden

Necrohell - Ravishing Funerals

Swans/Cop/Young God EP: Source-Spotify

Another one, I've had on my bucket list. I started listening Swans in 2012 with their highly praised Seer which has become one of my favorite non metal albums of all time and was the first their twenty teens trilogy, considered a kind of comeback by some and brought them popularity into Pitchfork, Stereogum and related experimental indie hipster fame. 

But I only  got into Swans after reading over and over what an influence they were on bands particularly Neurosis who are one of my besties. But, others as well. 

TBH, while I loved the trilogy, I never really heard the metal connection, not that they didn't have moments of compelling drone, insane percussion and tapped into a collective tribal sound that is quite prevalent in many metal acts-YOB, The Ruins of Beverarast, Mizmor and on and on. 

So, I researched their most beloved albums and devoured albums like The Great Annihilator, Soundtracks for the Blind,  Children of God. Great albums, moments of heaviness, not really feeling much metal. 

So finally this Thanksgiving weekend-first with Filth and now with Cop-I have found the heaviness. Cop reportedly was a big influence of for the guys in Neurosis. So much so, apparently that when Gira started seeing the hardcore and metal demographic show up, he thought, man I've fucked up if these Neanderthals are coming to my show, I'm doing something wrong and went an completely different direction with Jarboe.

I'm still not sure if Swans really had a profound influence directly on metal or if they simply influenced a handful of artists who then went on to inspire whole sub genres of extreme music. It doesn't really matter. COP is undeniably heavy, uncompromising and inaccessible for all but a few and surely directly or indirectly all those bands that fuse pummeling, post drone whateverthefuck metal-right now making me think of Cavernlight's first album, Dragged into Sunlight and shit like that. Shit that I generally get into. 

2 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

before it comes time to really start working on my yer end list in earnest.

We don't expect the list until February anyway.

I will do my usual petulant 'no I'm not doing a fucking list' before bunging something together at the last moment and regret half of the choices for 5 minutes.