What Are You Listening To?

khaos

I'm not against them myself, I would personally like to see more of them as opposed to the hundreds of thousands of traffic lights we have here, but I understand the concept of how to use them and where I'm meant to go. Most Americans have no clue. When no one is sure who has the right of way that's when the teardrops start fella.

I had many conversations about roundabouts with my late wife who when she first moved to the US was incensed about our plethora of traffic lights that seem to always be red for our side and green for the other side, and bemoaned our lack of roundabouts. Also our ubiquitous 4-way stop signs where every vehicle coming to the intersection from all directions must stop before they can proceed enraged her as well, because many Americans don't understand about rights of way and will come to the 4-way stop and just sit there and look at each other for 10 seconds not knowing whose turn it is to go. She felt whichever road was the main road with the higher volume of traffic should be able to proceed unfettered while only the side street traffic should be required to stop and look.

17 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

TBF there is a lot of Aussies who have no idea about roundabouts either. It doesn't help that every state has slightly different rules and many of those who quote a rule quote it wrong.

In some place here Stop signs are treated as a suggestion rather than a rule.

TBF I myself treat stop signs as a mere suggestion rather than a rule. Might give the brake pedal a light courtesy tap as I slide on through. And as I've said many many times, red is just a color.

Black Beast - Arctic Darkness, Finland

Fire Magic - Undying Revolt, USBM Virginia

12 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

TBF I myself treat stop signs as a mere suggestion rather than a rule. Might give the brake pedal a light courtesy tap as I slide on through. And as I've said many many times, red is just a color.

Some intersections I do, some intersections I cut, but generally I stop when the sign says so unless I know there is no one around. Last time I was pulled over was for running a stop sign, it was 18 years ago and I got let off with a warning, but I guess some times rules stick. I do know that for 18 years I have always stopped at that one intersection even when I can't see any cars.

Obviously I stop when I'm in town, or in traffic, or if I can see cars coming on the cross street, or if there is an obstruction blocking my view of who might be coming. I just don't see the point in coming to that complete standstill at intersections when I can clearly see there's no one around on my approach. The only traffic tickets I've gotten in the last 25 years are parking tickets, seat belt tickets, illegal lane usage (no trucks in the left lane of the Verazzano bridge) off the designated truck route tickets and talking on the cell phone tickets. But all of those were in the work truck in the city where the cops apparently have nothing better to do than hassle the drivers of commercial vehicles. I never get pulled over in my car. Last time I did was in the mid 90's, I encountered an unexpected police checkpoint on some little residential back street in front of a school less than a mile from my house on my way home from work one afternoon, and the dude caught me not wearing my stupid seat belt.

Not stopping when it's clear is the reason roundabouts work, but unfortunately most cops around here don't think the same thing when they see someone roll through a stop sign. I've never had a parking fine in the car, but I have had one speeding fine and one failing to stop. In the truck I've had everything from seatbelt to speeding, to illegal parking, to overloaded. I also once had a shadow for a week after the roads corp pulled me over for a broken indicator and then kept appearing everywhere I was the following days to check it was fixed 'in due time'. The bastard even got to the point of waving to me as he stopped at intersections where I was.

I always drive in the middle of the road at night around here too because in most places on coming vehicles can be seen through the trees, but the risk of wildlife coming onto the road is everywhere. I've hit plenty of roos doing anything from scratches to major damage, yet I've never hit another car whilst riding the white line, but explaining that to a cop, even one whose spent his life in the country is nearly pointless unless they are in a good mood. Thankfully though I've only been warned not fined for it.

11 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

If you look back at your post yes actually you did write "close minded" so I'm a little confused what you're trying to say. 

Yeah, I guess I did. I think we both have the ability to self reflect. Self awareness.  To Thine own self be true. We are all a work in progress. 

Currently listening to the cheesiest cock rock playlist ever in the hotel room post WASP/Armored Saint gig tonight. Both were pretty damn good. Most of WASP's was likely piped in, but it was still pretty awesome. Never thought I'd get a chance to see WASP, so it was pretty cool. Only complaint was they played 2 medleys which would have been way better had they played the full songs, but otherwise both sets were solid. And John Bush is fuckin awesome live. Can't believe that guy still sounds that damn good.