What Are You Listening To?

khaos

7 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

That one's my definitive KJ winner. I imagine you might disagree. 

First time through. It's badass so far. I guess the melodic stuff from the 80s is what I connect with the most, and this will probably wind up being more of a mood listen, but it's really cool nonetheless. Monster vocals, holy shit.

Just now, FatherAlabaster said:

First time through. It's badass so far. I guess the melodic stuff from the 80s is what I connect with the most, and this will probably wind up being more of a mood listen, but it's really cool nonetheless. Monster vocals, holy shit.

That's the Dave Grohl on drums quasi garage rock album. Pretty damn cool. Definitely top 5 in their discography IMO. Don't think it tops the debut, Absolute Dissent, or Night Time so I guess I'm putting it at 4.

Sulphur Aeon - The Scythe of Cosmic Chaos-2018-Been a minute since I've listened to this. They say the older you get, the faster times goes by. Did not think it was 4 years ago. Zach turned me onto this one. Dig the huge, exotic, melodic sound married with dissonance making this something different than your run of the mill DM release. 

11 minutes ago, navybsn said:

That's the Dave Grohl on drums quasi garage rock album. Pretty damn cool. Definitely top 5 in their discography IMO. Don't think it tops the debut, Absolute Dissent, or Night Time so I guess I'm putting it at 4.

Yeah your top three there and What's THIS for...! would round out my top 5. Don't know which order I'd put them in but definitely big yellow on top. I like Pylon a lot too.

1 hour ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Yeah your top three there and What's THIS for...! would round out my top 5. Don't know which order I'd put them in but definitely big yellow on top. I like Pylon a lot too.

...what?.....no mention of "Hosannas From The Basements Of Hell"?.....that fucking record slaps straight fyre!

INTEGRITY - Systems Overload

INTEGRITY - Closure

INTEGRITY - Those Who Fear Tomorrow

8 hours ago, markm said:

Sulphur Aeon - The Scythe of Cosmic Chaos-2018-Been a minute since I've listened to this. They say the older you get, the faster times goes by. Did not think it was 4 years ago. Zach turned me onto this one. Dig the huge, exotic, melodic sound married with dissonance making this something different than your run of the mill DM release. 

I typically listen to all three albums in a row. They really should be due ripping a new one.

18 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I thought you were nestled somewhere in the London suburbs?  Blackheath or Brixton or Finchley or Cricklewood or somewhere like that. Or are you farther out than that?

I left London ten years ago, when I used to live just off Baker Street and close to everything. Now I live a full half hour train ride north (although an hour back late at night because, unfathomably, they slow the trains down).

I can be in Camden in an hour from home. Christ, FA puts me to shame if he's willing to travel 4 hours. I balk at an hours' travel. Because. I. Hate. Commuting.

Gone are the days I was willing to drive the length of the country to see Metallica, Sepultura...even Fear Factory. 

10 hours ago, markm said:

I love those two albums, too. Anneke is a Goddess. Agreed they are marginally metal at best but a very cool band. Some goth, some rock some prog, some doom even with Mandylion arguably. But basically a rock band. 

Nighttime Birds and Mandylion were my faves. I never actually heard that pre-Anneke album, although I knew it existed.

The Gathering is good gateway chick metal. Don't listen to it anymore, but it had a time and place.

King Diamond -  The Eye (1990)

Not a fan of King Diamond, think he is massively overrated and I struggle with his vocals. However, a track came up on a playlist from this album earlier and I found it quite good.  The musicianship is better than the vocals in my book but giving the album a full listen through regardless. 

3 hours ago, JonoBlade said:

I typically listen to all three albums in a row. They really should be due ripping a new one.

I left London ten years ago, when I used to live just off Baker Street and close to everything. Now I live a full half hour train ride north (although an hour back late at night because, unfathomably, they slow the trains down).

I can be in Camden in an hour from home. Christ, FA puts me to shame if he's willing to travel 4 hours. I balk at an hours' travel. Because. I. Hate. Commuting.

Gone are the days I was willing to drive the length of the country to see Metallica, Sepultura...even Fear Factory. 

Nighttime Birds and Mandylion were my faves. I never actually heard that pre-Anneke album, although I knew it existed.

The Gathering is good gateway chick metal. Don't listen to it anymore, but it had a time and place.

And didn't you move for a while to New Zealand or Greenland at some point? Since I'm 'Merican, I can't distinguish the two, other than they are beautiful cold places with a lot of white people. 

I should probably check out Sulphur Aeon's first two albums at some point. Funny how my musical tastes sync with your much of the time. Have you been listening to The Long Road North much? I think it's my most listened 2022 album so far.

It's struggle listening to old favorites with a collection that keeps growing. Like some of our socio-political discussion-you know, the impracticality that the current model for successful  global affluence being dependent on ever growing economies in  a world of shrinking natural resources, listening to an ever growing musical collection for me becomes a game of hide and sink. For bands like the Gathering, I often will make playlists or queue's with different qualities-chick bands for instance. 

I have the Gathering added to a massive playlist of "non metal" which tends to include everything from classical/jazz to punk and "clean" metal. It's inanely large, about 14,000 tracks and I play it like my own eclectic commercial free radio station. If I listen long enough I'll hear all of those little niche bands I might forget about.

In fact, I'm listening right now as I'm waking up. It gave me Kurt Vile, G'N'R, a track from a Wagner opera, a movement from a Shostakovich symphony-number 8(why do the order of vowels in his name always fuck up my spelling?), Stolen Babies, Motorhead, Social Destruction, Kinks and Nightwish-there's my chick metal!

11 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

10 hours ago, MarkhantonioYeatts said:

what?.....no mention of "Hosannas From The Basements Of Hell"?.....that fucking record slaps straight fyre

Ranking the top 8 KJ albums is super tough. I switch around every few months, but I'd put Hosannas, What's this, Pylon, and Democracy in that order... today. Could easily swap 4 - 8 on any given day though.

53 minutes ago, MacabreEternal said:

Not a fan of King Diamond

King is the weakest link in both of his bands. I've grown to deal with his vocals because the music is just so damn good. He's had 2 of the best backing bands ever. I mean Hank Sherman, Andy LaRocque, Timi Hansen, Mikkey Dee, Michael Denner, Mike Wead, now Joey Vera. You just don't get much better than that.

NP: Killing Joke - S/T

37 minutes ago, markm said:

And didn't you move for a while to New Zealand or Greenland at some point? Since I'm 'Merican, I can't distinguish the two, other than they are beautiful cold places with a lot of white people. 

I should probably check out Sulphur Aeon's first two albums at some point. Funny how my musical tastes sync with your much of the time. Have you been listening to The Long Road North much? I think it's my most listened 2022 album so far.

Yes, one of those. Opposite ends of the planet. I don't think NZ is famous for being cold particularly - or full of white people. 

I find the Sulphur Aeon albums pretty much interchangeably good. They sound very similar in style and production to me.

I think I slightly preferred the previous CoL...but that is another band that is pretty much interchangeably good. Will cue it up again tomorrow.

Wo Fat - The Singularity, took FA's and Navy's suggestion and started my day with KJ-S/T, and now moving on to this one with the pretty cover that Marky Mark mentioned as one of his '22 favorites the other day. Gotta be honest I'm getting pretty bored with this 30 minutes in, not sure if I'll be able to hang with these Texans for another 45. It's serviceable stoner rock, nothing really wrong with it, but it doesn't really have the juice or pack the same punch as the top notch stoner bands bring.

King Buffalo ‎- Dead Star, guess while I'm stoning it up here this morning I might as well check out this other stoner band Mark & Jon-boy have been gushing about. (that's just a joke guys, I know you stopped well short of gushing) Jesus Fucking Christ you guys are nuts, this record is more boring than watching paint dry. I can feel myself aging waiting for it to be over. 3/10. Maybe if I was actually stoned I could get into it? Not gonna do that because we have to go to my sisters for stupid turkey day in a couple more hours here. Guess I dIdn't know how good I had it with the Wo Fat. Sorry guys, no hard feelings, but I'm gonna have to put your boys King Buffalo in the bites the big one category.

Circus of Power - Vices, NY 1990, alright then guess I'll just have to time travel back and enjoy an old favorite from the year my daughter was born.

33 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

My wife put some Pandora station on in the living room and we've got Journey echoing through the house and it's making my jaw ache.

Don't stop believing, hold onto that feeling holmes.

2 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

think it's time for a beer

Cracked my first one at 10am. Somebody drank fucking everything else in the fridge so they left me no choice. Plus, I can't exactly smoke a shitload of meat completely sober. That would be sacrilegious.

Ran through KJ most of the morning. S/T - What's this, Democracy, Night Time. Now for something completely different.

Antichrist Imperium - Volume III

2 minutes ago, navybsn said:

Cracked my first one at 10am. Somebody drank fucking everything else in the fridge so they left me no choice. Plus, I can't exactly smoke a shitload of meat completely sober. That would be sacrilegious.

Ran through KJ most of the morning. S/T - What's this, Democracy, Night Time. Now for something completely different.

Antichrist Imperium - Volume III

My morning coffee somehow got a bunch of rum in it. But the rains down in Africa are going right into the danger zone and I'm worried I didn't stock up enough to make it through the day.

3 hours ago, markm said:

I should probably check out Sulphur Aeon's first two albums at some point.

Auckland NZ where Jon lived for some portions of his life never really gets below 50° or maybe the high 40's for overnight lows in the dead of winter (July-Aug) and then never really gets much above 80° or mid 80's in the summer (Jan-Feb). I believe they call this sub-tropical. It's so not cold that they didn't even bother to put heating systems in most of the houses until a certain point, I guess the newer more modern luxury apartments probably have split units with heat and A/C combined. But that's just on the more populated North island, the South Island does get cold and has snow capped peaks with skiing and stuff in the winter. They're pretty far south and the closest landmass to Antarctica, but it's still 3,000 miles away. And I guess the ocean currents flow in such a manner as to keep them warm.

You might find it interesting to know the percentage of white New Zealanders is 64.1% as compared to 61.6% for the US, so they are comparably ethnically diverse. In the most recent (2018) New Zealand census 70.2% of the population identified as European and 16.5% as Māori. Other major pan-ethnic groups include Asians (15.1%) and Pacific peoples (8.1%). Which is in sharp contrast to the UK where 87% of people identify as White, and only 13% belong to a Black, Asian, Mixed or Other ethnic group.

I liked the first Sulphur Aeon album alright, but I haven't liked either of their subsequent ones. A bunch of my friends seem to think they're one of the greatest things ever though, so I'm sure I must be missing something. 

26 minutes ago, navybsn said:

Which denomination are you, A reformed Traegerist?