What Are You Listening To?

khaos

16 minutes ago, navybsn said:

Had tickets to see them Wednesday, but pulled a work conference at the last minute and had to sell them. Saw them in August (great show) but you never know when they will come around again. I'm in NOLA, where there are always shows... except the week I'm here.

....easily one of the ten best bands I've seen live....and they sound just as good if not better now than back in the 80's....the KING's voice is better than ever in my estimation.....

15 hours ago, markm said:

Thanks to your tireless efforts, I finally got more than a comp. It was worth it! Surprised how much I like Queen I and II. I agree from a critical standpoint, ANOTO is a classic album, but I've heard Bohemian Rhapsody so many times, I'm sort of  over that song. The other issue for me is Queen was largely a singles band and no one album has all the songs I like. Sheer Heart Attack is probably my favorite in terms of being metal adjacent. I like listening to I, II and Sheer Heart Attack in one long extended play session. They flow together for me. I did own Jazz in high school and pound for pound for a good all around hard rock album is pretty bad ass. 

ANATO is the classic album. I still get a kick out of Bohemian Rhapsody, though I don't listen to singles, playlists or best ofs to try not to get saturated. The song is ubiquitous but you shouldn't come across it too often these days. However, I understand the curse of the "overplayed classic" like We're Not Gonna Take It, Thunderstruck...or something by a pop band/artist. Honestly my mind is blank trying to think what they probably play at baseball games....because I've never been to a baseball game.

I take serious issue with "Queen was largely a singles band." It's true that even from the beginning they were obsessed with choosing the right single for best chart placements etc, but those decisions came after the album was made. The pacing and variety of moods of early Queen albums is incredible. You wouldn't call Led Zeppelin or Black Sabbath a singles band. Queen wasn't either. It's all in the deep album cuts baby.

Queen I, II and SHA do have a common thread. The first albums both close with different versions of Seven Seas of Rhye, while SHA starts with a seaside theme intro to Brighton Rock (a seaside town), so there is a nice segue and continuity. 

I bang on about this "ebb and flow" thing of albums from time to time (ok, constantly). It occurred to me yesterday that Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap (the original Australian version, not the idiot Atlantic issue compiled by some American suit) is probably my favourite AC/DC album. It just tells a great story with lots of moods. Much more successful albums like Highway to Hell or Back in Black have very strong songs but sound more manufactured/formulaic. 10 songs, 3 to 4 minutes each, next platinum record please.

It's why I like concept albums. Which I realise isn't everyone's cup of tea.

9 hours ago, Dead1 said:

Man I can't believe you put work over metal!

I am to the point where I do the bare minimum and think work can just go get fucked.  As long as I collect a pay check, I don't care.  Life's too short to stress  over work if you can avoid it.

Yeah, if I had a choice...

8 hours ago, MarkhantonioYeatts said:

....easily one of the ten best bands I've seen live....and they sound just as good if not better now than back in the 80's....the KING's voice is better than ever in my estimation.....

Hard agree

7 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Mercyful Fate announce first US tour in 20+ years with Kreator & Midnight  ++ Psycho

I saw Fate on December 15th 1984 at the 3,200 seat Capitol Theatre in Passaic NJ. They were in the #2 slot sandwiched in between openers Exciter and headliners Motörhead. I didn't really know where I was going not being a native Jersey boy and not having GPS or anything back then obviously, just a paper Hagstrom map. So we got there a little late and missed some of Exciter's set, probably just caught the last 4 songs. But we were there in our leather jackets, on the edge of our seats ready to rock for all of Fate. Would have been better in a hall without seats, but what are you gonna do? Moshing hadn't really caught on as the norm yet in '84 at metal shows, stage diving and moshpits were still a fairly new thing for us metal kids at that point, even though the punks had already been doing it for years by then. I wouldn't even attempt to rank all the bands I've seen over the years in any kind of an order, but needless to say Fate killed it. We left completley satisfied, it was quite a memorable show. I saw Youtube video of the current tour that a bunch of my friends have gone to see in various cities across the country, by all accounts it seems that 66 year old King and Co. have still got it. The only complaints I heard were about them having to sit through Kreator. 

Emblaze - Emblaze the Elevations, death metal US/Finland

They were everything I wanted when I saw them in August. I was too young to see them in the 80's, but I can imagine that they killed.

Parliament - Mothership Connection

New Order - Republic

New Order - Power Corruption and Lies

Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures 

10 hours ago, JonoBlade said:

It's why I like concept albums. Which I realise isn't everyone's cup of tea.

I can relate to that. I went through a stage a few years ago of just listening to concept albums, trying to understand their story. Some of the song writers do a great job of telling a story in 10 songs and 50 mins of music.

NP: Buffalo - Average Rock N Roller

55 minutes ago, Dead1 said:

Bloodbath - Survival of the Sickest

Celtic Frost - Morbid Tales

Sepultura - Schizophrenia

Ahh that sucks!  I hope they at least pay you for overtime and travel.

Yeah I wish, but it is paid travel and I do get per diem. So I do come out with a few extra bucks. I'm fairly frugal when it comes to eating/drinking when away from home for business.

4 hours ago, navybsn said:

Yeah I wish, but it is paid travel and I do get per diem. So I do come out with a few extra bucks. I'm fairly frugal when it comes to eating/drinking when away from home for business.

That's good to hear.  I really try to avoid travel these days - thank the heavens for Microsoft Teams!

Psycroptic - Divine Council

Not bad but not something I'd listen too often.  As a Tasmanian I am required to listen to any new Psycro album at least once.

Undeath - It's Time...To Rise From The Grave

Decibel's number 1.  Is OK but nothing special. Morbid Angel worship without classic Morbid Angel's penchant for catchiness.  

Castrator - Deflined in Oblivion - quote good if unremarkable

Black Anvil - Regenesis - very uninspired, boring and I struggled to get past second song.

Emblaze - Emblaze the Elevations - also ho-hum and meh-tastic.

So far a very uninspiring day of listening to new releases.