What Are You Listening To?

khaos

Not a typical listening day for me:

Mayhem - De Vermiis Dom Santhanas - I do find some of the clean vocals hilarious but kudos for trying them.

Exhumed - To The Dead - essentially derivative like all Exhumed.   On the upside it's more goregrind/pure death metal now and they've got rid of those pedestrian melodic death metal tendencies.

Turned Loose - A Different Shade of Blue - chunky riffy metalcore.  Screamy vocals grate after a while - they need more variation.

Nazxul - Iconoclast - (largely forgotten) Aussie black metal

Satyricon - Nemesis Divina - clearly that time of year/decade when I feel like listening to some actual black metal.  

Hypocrisy - Virus, Sweden 2005. I remember playing this album a lot back when it came out. It was one of my gateways into extreme metal. I can still hear what it was I liked about it 17 years ago, but this sort of mainstream plastic overproduced 'extreme' metal has not aged well with me at all. Guess we shouldn't be surprised to find Pete doing a 3 city tour of OZ with Balloonknot, Trivium and his countrymen In Flames pretty soon.

Hypocrisy - Osculum Obscenum, 1993. Now this is more like it.

Resurrection - Embalmed Existence, FLA 1993

3 hours ago, MarkhantonioYeatts said:

ABDUCTION - All Pain as Penance

.....it's amazing that both ABDUCTION bands put out such high quality BM....not sure who I like better....ABDUCTION or ABDUCTION......

You do know it's the same band, or rather the same dude who did both of these Abduction albums you posted today, right? I do like this 2019 one better I think.

1 hour ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Hypocrisy - Virus, Sweden 2005. I remember playing this album a lot back when it came out. It was one of my gateways into extreme metal. I can still hear what it was I liked about it 17 years ago, but this sort of mainstream plastic overproduced 'extreme' metal has not aged well with me at all. Guess we shouldn't be surprised to find Pete doing a 3 city tour of OZ with Balloonknot, Trivium and his countrymen In Flames pretty soon.

I would argue by 2005 (or even 2000) that melodic death metal was 99.99%* out of ideas.  And Hypocrisy suffered here as much as any other band in that genre.  Glory period for melodic DM is 1993-1999 and even then 1998-98 still suffered from too many ATG and Carcass clones. 

Then that plastic Nuclear Blast production which is the epitome of corporate mass production.  It's cut n paste to the extreme and you get death, black and thrash bands all blurring into one another because they all have the same sound and vibe.

You can chuck on Kreator, Arch Enemy, Testament, Dimmu Borgir, Belphegor, Kataklysm, Behemoth  and Vader one after another and it all fits really well and all sounds like it was recorded in the same studio at the same time!   Hell,  modern Blind Guardian probably doesn't sound too jarring among that lot either given the production.

It's even worse than the Scott Burns DM era or Harris John's/Noise era  as most of the earlier better bands preserved their identity and character despite these two producers tending to generate a similar sound.

In fact it seem like when it comes to sound and production modern sub-mainstream metal is locked in time in 2005!  

Maybe, just maybe what we really need is for Nuclear Blast to collapse and for majors to fold Century Media, Roadrunner etc.  Might help revitalise some of the staleness in the scene.

*I save 0.01% for Arsis' A Celebration of Guilt which was actually pretty good and sounded fresh at the time even though they weren't really able to follow it up. 

Alice In Chains - Dirt

Going to see King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard tonight. Not a huge fan, only have 2 albums, but I'll put some random albums on by them today to get in the mood. They remind me of the OSees, who I dig, so it should be a good show.

Starting the morning off with some bandcamp roulette:

HOME FRONT - Think of the Lie EP (2021) - 80's new wave from the land of maple syrup

Hævner - Kaldet Fra Tomrummet (2022) - Danish post-punk

Esoctrilihum - Saopth's (2022) - French black metal - this is one of those automatic purchases for me. Guy is prolific and has never missed the mark IMO

Esoctrilihum - Consecration of the Spiritüs Flesh (2022)

9 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Hypocrisy - Osculum Obscenum, 1993. Now this is more like it.

Resurrection - Embalmed Existence, FLA 1993

You do know it's the same band, or rather the same dude who did both of these Abduction albums you posted today, right? I do like this 2019 one better I think.

....WhiteNoise...."Jehanne" is by the ABDUCTION band from France....the other records are from ABDUCTION from the U.K........I do think the new record "Black Blood",  from the U.K. band, might be my favourite record by either band...

OLD - OLD

INDRID COLD - Indrid Cold

29 minutes ago, MarkhantonioYeatts said:

....WhiteNoise...."Jehanne" is by the ABDUCTION band from France....the other records are from ABDUCTION from the U.K........I do think the new record "Black Blood",  from the U.K. band, might be my favourite record by either band...

Oh I see, you posted three Abduction albums yesterday, I only noticed the two from the UK band. Guess I'll check out the Frenchies next after Perished. I do like those period historical covers, but M-A says they're progressive, so I won't go in expecting too much. But if you say they're "high quality" then I'm sure they're worth a look at the very least.

EDIT: Okay, so progressive in this case apparently means some clean vocal parts. I think I can handle that even though I do wish there were less of them. You never know what you're gonna get when you read a band is progressive, it's become something of a catch-all phrase for stuff people don't know how to categorize.

On 10/25/2022 at 10:43 PM, GoatmasterGeneral said:

You had radio DJ's in OZ who played Overkill? I can't even imagine. I've never ever heard a thrash song on the radio in my entire life except for some of Metallica's more radio friendly crap which isn't really thrash. But I think being from NY has a lot to do with that, radio stations just don't take any chances here, it's mostly either rap and top 40 on the radio. The one 'rock' station we had was still playing the same tired old shit from the 70's last I knew. But I don't know, I left the NY metro area in 2016 for points west. And now that I've moved back east again I live too far out from the city to get any of the NY stations even if I wanted to.

Almost all of those 80's commercial household name thrash bands drifted away from their speedy pure thrash roots in the 90's, that trend certainly wasn't just limited to Overkill. I don't really understand the mindset that faster is always better and slower is always worse. I like fast songs as much as the next dude, but I've heard plenty of shitty fast songs in my time and plenty of awesome slower songs. I like when a band changes up the tempos a bit from tune to tune so every single song on an album doesn'ct hcave to sound exactly alike. I've never been concerned with every song having to live up to some arbitrary bpm standard to be truly considered thrash. I figure a good metal song is a good metal song whether it thrashes or not. To each his own obviously, there's no right or wrong, we all like the songs that we like without even knowing why sometims. But imo there are definitely more important factors to weigh when judging any kind of music than just tempo.

Overkill - I Hear Black, 1993

i agree. i hear black was a decent album. it's a little inferior to classics like horrorscope, feel the fire and taking over. but, it's well produced and got some nice riffs. i rate it 7/10

19 hours ago, Dead1 said:

clearly that time of year/decade when I feel like listening to some actual black metal.  

I didn't think you ever did! Have you turned a new hoof?

On 10/26/2022 at 3:43 PM, navybsn said:

I always pictured @markm with longer hair and less chest hair...

Haha! I appreciate Whitenoise's photo and I'd like to think I have a certain wild and rugged, even roguish  Irish charm, but I'm not quite that, uh, butch. But you know, it's hard paddling class 4 rapids in my blazers and neckties, and the Doc Martins aren't water proof, but I do what I can to maintain my cred with all the kiddos I paddle with. 

On 10/26/2022 at 3:11 PM, navybsn said:

Yeah man, noticed I hadn't seen you around lately. Was going to send you a text to make sure you were good, but I've lost your number over the years. Glad to know you're doing alright.

Thanks Man, you guys have been such good 'net metal mates and we actually almost crossed paths at MDF that year the White General of Goat Noises baptized me in blood notwithstanding my waterproof R.E.I. windbreaker. 

Ah, the jobs a hassle and kid's got the flu as the song goes...no flu fortunately but the job's a hassle. Actually, the kid dislocated her shoulder again but she's working a nursing job and it's not really interfering with my daily life as she's an adult and out of the house.

And, I know I don't have to tell you about stressful jobs. But what the heck, ask any special educator what the worst part of the job----you can probably finish the sentence before reading it-it's the paperwork. Each year they add more and more layers and since COVID teachers have left the profession in droves-something like 50% thought seriously about leaving during COVID. 

I'm in a new class at a community college with smaller caseload which is nice but MD completely revamped the transition portion of the IEP document that all students in special education have. Transition is the portion of an IEP that pertains to 13-21 year olds and that's my job-well, 18-21 in my case. I'm "off site" at a community college and I'm responsible for case management and the entire IEP document and they've made it so burdensome it's taken over may of our lives this fall. 

We have to back track education goals and transition activities with extensive present levels of performance and more and more documentation before we roll up our sleeves to write the Fing thing. And, we even have office staff that review the transition pages and send emails if everything isn't recorded perfectly so, as we are under some kind of audit scrutiny. 

I just haven't been listening to much other than my CD's or streaming in my Rav-4. Now that it's getting colder and with daylight savings coming up, I reckon I'll be home more and begin combing through all the Bandcamp shit I've saved from the recos here and elsewhere.