What Are You Listening To?

khaos

7 minutes ago, Dead1 said:

Overkill - Killbox 13

Fantastic choice!  Overkill is my favorite thrash band of all time.  Killbox 13 really showed signs of them moving back toward a thrash sound (even though the two albums after that didn't necessarily do that) into what we would eventually have the pleasure of hearing - Ironbound in 2010.  

11 minutes ago, JamesT said:

Fantastic choice!  Overkill is my favorite thrash band of all time.  Killbox 13 really showed signs of them moving back toward a thrash sound (even though the two albums after that didn't necessarily do that) into what we would eventually have the pleasure of hearing - Ironbound in 2010.  

I think Killbox shines as a mix of both groove metal and thrash plus it's production is good but not overdone (sadly I think they've been in a creative funk - Ironbound was awesome and then they've just cut and pasted it since.  (I suspect being on Nuclear Blast has something to do with it because NB bands tend to replicate previously successful formulas ad nauseum.  I get the feeling any kind of innovation is looked down on it that label).

I've been listening to a fair bit of Overkill lately but I tend to go for the first 5 albums with Years of Decay being my favourite.

Pantera - Vulgar Display Of Power

1 hour ago, Dead1 said:

I think Killbox shines as a mix of both groove metal and thrash plus it's production is good but not overdone (sadly I think they've been in a creative funk - Ironbound was awesome and then they've just cut and pasted it since.  (I suspect being on Nuclear Blast has something to do with it because NB bands tend to replicate previously successful formulas ad nauseum.  I get the feeling any kind of innovation is looked down on it that label).

I've been listening to a fair bit of Overkill lately but I tend to go for the first 5 albums with Years of Decay being my favourite.

Pantera - Vulgar Display Of Power

Fair enough!  I would have all 5 of their most recent albums in the top 10 of their discography - "The Electric Age" and "Ironbound" are my top 2, respectively, in the entire catalog.  I'd have "Taking Over", "The Years of Decay", and "Horrorscope" all in my top 5, though, so I'm with you on those classic albums!  

And huge props for PanterA!  My favorite band of all time, period.  We're playing a lot of the same stuff, it seems!  Happy listening! 

1 hour ago, Dead1 said:

I've made no secret of my everlasting love for Overkill, and more specifically for Killbox 13 (2003). Can't praise that album and the one right before it (Bloodletting - 2000) enough. But other than the most recent and surprisingly excellent Wings of War (2019) which was chock full of memorable tunes, I have no real use for any of the other six albums which dropped in between. Not that they're terrible (other than Relix and epecially Immortalis which was pretty fucking terrible) they're just all kind of interchangeable and not essential listening.

Never got all the love for Ironbound at all. Every time I hear that Bring Me the Night song they made the video for I just want to cry. How the mighty have fallen if that was the piss-poor album everyone lost their shit over. I do like the first two tracks as well as the closer, The SRC, but everything sandwiched in between is a vacuous wasteland of mediocrity. Just because they sped up the tempo quite noticeably on that album doesn't magically make all the songs winners.

I've also never gotten all the hate for I Hear Black. It's not a furious thrash attack that will wreck your neck like Reign in Blood or Power From Hell or Spectrum of Death or something like that obviously, I get that. But it's still definitely a solidly written metal album with a lot of cool songs on it. You really can't go wrong with any of the first 6 imho.

Overkill - The Wings of War, 2019

26 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I've also never gotten all the hate for I Hear Black. It's not a furious thrash attack that will wreck your neck like Reign in Blood or Power From Hell or Spectrum of Death or something like that obviously, I get that. But it's still definitely a solidly written metal album with a lot of cool songs on it. You really can't go wrong with any of the first 6 imho.

I never understood that either. I remember when it came out some people down right hated I Hear Black, we had radio DJ's here who refused to play anything off it saying Overkill were done, or that the album was so bad Overkill needed to reinvent themselves. I get that after Horrorscope it was different and that Horrorscope did sell really well, but I Hear Black copped more shit than it deserved as far as I'm concerned.

King Diamond - Fatal Portrait

1 hour ago, KillaKukumba said:

I never understood that either. I remember when it came out some people down right hated I Hear Black, we had radio DJ's here who refused to play anything off it saying Overkill were done, or that the album was so bad Overkill needed to reinvent themselves. I get that after Horrorscope it was different and that Horrorscope did sell really well, but I Hear Black copped more shit than it deserved as far as I'm concerned.

You had radio DJ's in OZ who played Overkill? I can't even imagine. I've never ever heard a thrash song on the radio in my entire life except for some of Metallica's more radio friendly crap which isn't really thrash. But I think being from NY has a lot to do with that, radio stations just don't take any chances here, it's mostly either rap and top 40 on the radio. The one 'rock' station we had was still playing the same tired old shit from the 70's last I knew. But I don't know, I left the NY metro area in 2016 for points west. And now that I've moved back east again I live too far out from the city to get any of the NY stations even if I wanted to.

Almost all of those 80's commercial household name thrash bands drifted away from their speedy pure thrash roots in the 90's, that trend certainly wasn't just limited to Overkill. I don't really understand the mindset that faster is always better and slower is always worse. I like fast songs as much as the next dude, but I've heard plenty of shitty fast songs in my time and plenty of awesome slower songs. I like when a band changes up the tempos a bit from tune to tune so every single song on an album doesn'ct hcave to sound exactly alike. I've never been concerned with every song having to live up to some arbitrary bpm standard to be truly considered thrash. I figure a good metal song is a good metal song whether it thrashes or not. To each his own obviously, there's no right or wrong, we all like the songs that we like without even knowing why sometims. But imo there are definitely more important factors to weigh when judging any kind of music than just tempo.

Overkill - I Hear Black, 1993

Community radio only, no commercial stations. In the good days in the city we could get about 12, maybe 15 metal shows a week on different stations. They'd run for anything from an hour to maybe 3 or 4, often they'd be on at night time. I used to run one at our local station and I think Dead1 mentioned he did too.

Mortal Sin - Mayhemic Destruction

1 hour ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

You had radio DJ's in OZ who played Overkill?

Back when I did community radio in early 2000s, I played everything including not just thrash but death, black and grind.  Show was 3 hours per show every Thursday between 9 pm & 12 am.  

Main national radio station, Triple J has always had a metal show as long as I can remember and they have mainly stayed with extreme stuff (though some presenters would tone it down a bit but most stayed true to metal).

As for Overkill, only album of their's I hate is WFO because the production is atrocious and makes it unlistenable.  Most of their post 1991 career is at best average with a couple of stand outs.

Triple J started with 3 Hours Of Power and Helen Razer in the early 90's I think it was, before that I'm sure JJ also had some metal. But JJJ's metal has always been more commercial than community radio as far as I'm concerned. Although to give the J's their credit they have "unearthed" a lot of metal of various types over the years.

The only limitation we used to have at our station was no swearing, otherwise it was our show and we used to play what we liked as long as we provided it.

Haven't been a round as much lately, but check in and read posts regardless.

Been revisiting all my Sonic Youth discs I bought a few years ago when I dug into punk, indie and post punk genres. I  Went thru the 6 albums I have driving a 10 round trip to the might New River in SW West Virginia and had a great two days on that river with an awesome crew.

I used to hate Sonic Youth. They're an acquired taste for a metal fan, but I've grown to appreciate their innovation and contribution to noise and general weirdness that has found its way to other forms of heavy music including metal in the aughts.

3 hours ago, markm said:

Been revisiting all my Sonic Youth discs I bought a few years ago when I dug into punk, indie and post punk genres. I  Went thru the 6 albums I have driving a 10 round trip to the might New River in SW West Virginia and had a great two days on that river with an awesome crew.

I used to hate Sonic Youth. They're an acquired taste for a metal fan, but I've grown to appreciate their innovation and contribution to noise and general weirdness that has found its way to other forms of heavy music including metal in the aughts.

Yeah man, noticed I hadn't seen you around lately. Was going to send you a text to make sure you were good, but I've lost your number over the years. Glad to know you're doing alright.

I'm with you on Sonic Youth. I have Daydream Nation and Goo. Those are the only albums from them that I find even partially interesting, but I do like what they brought to the table, and you can definitely hear their influence all over the place. No one quite sounds like them.

Turning into a Dwarves-a-thon today

The Dwarves - Blood, Guts, and Pussy

The Dwarves - Free Cocaine

Negator - Panzer Metal, Germany 2010

Insulter - Crypts of Satan, Germany 2016

3 hours ago, markm said:

Burt Reynolds came to regret that naked Cosmopolitan photoshoot because ' Deliverance suffered' - ABC News