What Are You Listening To?

khaos

20 hours ago, zackflag said:

Negative Plane - Stained Glass Revelations 

These guys have been steadily climbing the ranks of my favourite bands this past year.

I had never heard of the band before and when the new one came and with the hyped messages all over the place I got on with it and tried them out. So glad I did. I like all they released.

*********************************************************************************************

Seeing Fides Inversa coming week when they support Akhlys and Chaos Invocation. 3 bands that I started to appreciate a lot so looking forward to that show!

22 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Slow, Deep, and Hard was the Type O debut and it was basically a bunch of leftover Carnivore tracks Pete had after his first hardcore/thrash/crossover band had broken up. Not sure if you're familiar with Carnivore but they put out two albums in the late 80's which are worth hearing if you're into a more primitive less commercial crossover sound. The vestiges of their hardcore influences were still apparent even on '93's Bloody Kisses you can hear it on a few tracks like We Hate Everyone. The next album October Rust was basically Pete writing a bunch of gothic tunes that would specifically appeal to chicks so he could get laid more easily, according to Kenny Hickey the guitar player. They had started getting a lot more women at their shows after the success of BK and Black No. 1 so I guess he wanted to make the most of that. '99's World Coming Down was where they really hit their stride (their pinnacle in most of our opinions here aside from Blivvie) and then the last two albums (Life is Killing Me & Dead Again) were both excellent as well, more polished songwriting and skilled arrangements with less of the little filler throw away tracks. Or course I'm sure some people probably really love those little filler throwaway tracks. For me Kenny Hickey's catchy Sabbath inspired riffs were the highlight of the band's sound, and none of those records would be the same without his high pitched backing vocals. (Pete made him sing all the higher pitched fills and stuff that were out of his register) Pete always said the sound he was going for was basically Black Sabbath meets the Beatles. It's all accessible and melodic though, that's just what they were. It's basically like you're either into what they do or you're not. I could totally see how it's not gonna be for everyone. You might listen to 3 or 4 TON albums and decide you're not feeling it.

8 minutes ago, markm said:

Type O Negative/ World Coming Down-this is a decent listen and I'm sure I'd have liked the band If I'd picked up any of their offerings 20-25 years ago. Of course, I heard snippets and saw the videos. Pretty much wrote them off as a one trick vampire schtick pony. I'm mixing genres, but this is basically a form of doom and  think the doom and sludge post 2000 is a lot more interesting than what TON were listening to so probably wont' grab any of their albums. I mean they were putting out their first albums during the grunge era and I can hear melodic qualities of bands like Soundgarden who also had Beatles like harmonies on some of their tracks (Back Eyed Sun, etc.)

In some ways I'm surprised they appealed to YOU, but I know you didn't turn  into the raw and grim bastard you are now until years later. Black Sabbath is one of your favorite bands and you like The Beatles reasonably well. Definitely worth going through their discog and I'm still listening but for the moment, I find their music based on overly simple overly riffs and melody lacking in enough musical ideas for the rather lengthy songs....meaning the songs overstay their welcome and I get kind of bored. This album also somewhat reminds me of a cleaned up Paradise Lost-particularly Faith Divides, Death Unites Us. But if TON were a new band today I doubt  you'd give them the time of day-too polished and commercial. 

5 hours ago, markm said:

Type O Negative - World Coming Down-this is a decent listen and I'm sure I'd have liked the band If I'd picked up any of their offerings 20-25 years ago. Of course, I heard snippets and saw the videos. Pretty much wrote them off as a one trick vampire schtick pony. I'm mixing genres, but this is basically a form of doom and  think the doom and sludge post 2000 is a lot more interesting than what TON were listening to so probably wont' grab any of their albums. I mean they were putting out their first albums during the grunge era and I can hear melodic qualities of bands like Soundgarden who also had Beatles like harmonies on some of their tracks (Back Eyed Sun, etc.)

In some ways I'm surprised they appealed to YOU, but I know you didn't turn  into the raw and grim bastard you are now until years later. Black Sabbath is one of your favorite bands and you like The Beatles reasonably well. Definitely worth going through their discog and I'm still listening but for the moment, I find their music based on overly simple overly riffs and melody lacking in enough musical ideas for the rather lengthy songs....meaning the songs overstay their welcome and I get kind of bored. This album also somewhat reminds me of a cleaned up Paradise Lost-particularly Faith Divides, Death Unites Us. But if TON were a new band today I doubt  you'd give them the time of day-too polished and commercial. 

Interesting thesis. As I consult my LastFM scrobbles which I've set to my son's birthday: Jan 27th 2014 til the present day, I see The Beatles rank as my 8th most played artist, Black Sabbath is #22 and Type O are #31 out of 3,607 total artists scrobbled. This only counts songs I've played on my desktop player while sitting at the computer, not in the car or from my phone or DAP through iem's or Youtube videos or anything else. I might have guessed the numbers for those 3 artists would be flipped around with Type O on top and the Beatles on the bottom because I feel like I listen to Type O more, but it is what it is, the numbers don't lie.

Still all 3 of these bands have made their way into the top 1% of bands I've listened to the most, so it's safe to say my infatuation with Type O runs deeper than just a passing fancy. They're from Brooklyn, they're around my age (at least Pete and Josh were, Kenny and John are a year or two younger than you) they grew up listening to the same bands I did, they have metal and hardcore roots, they have a dark and savage NY sense of humor, I've watched tons of old interview footage and stuff and I feel like I know these guys. So it'd be all but impossible to imagine not having had them and their music in my life for the last 30 years and try to guess how I'd react to their music if I was hearing it fresh for the first time here and now in my elderliness.

Bloody Kisses was my first brush with Type O, I remember buying the cassette the same day I bought Sacred Reich's Independent. I wasn't in love with them right from day one, I was more intrigued than anything else, they are certainly a unique band. It took me a bit of warming up to really appreciate what they were all about musically, but it didn't take me that long to see there was a lot more going on there with them beyond just the vampire schtick. I still hear little things on those albums that I've never noticed before even now.

I can totally see how you might think they wouldn't be my thing, they're not extreme metal and they are a lot more polished and lush and pretty than most of what I listen to. I would not call them commercial though, maybe a song or two here and there but not for the most part. (give them the wife test and see what she says about them) But surely you understand by now that the evil goat metal filth and the caustic satanic black metal and the crushing cavernous death metal are just a few of the many facets of my musical interests. I suppose it's true that raw goat filth is the kind of music I get most excited about these days, and extreme metal does take up the bulk of my listening time, but I can still listen to and appreciate other stuff as well. 

3 great albums for me this morning:

Arsena - Blood Rusted Mother Earth

Excellent Thrash Metal album, technical, progressive and with a strong Bay Area touch. Will probably be my Thrash album of the year. It is full of details that force our attention, for our greatest pleasure.

Morbid Angel - Covenant

Not my favorite but one of the ones I listen to most often.

Incubus - Beyond the Unknow

I really like this record. Raw production, a music that sends a good dose of energy, an intriguing cover.

57 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Interesting thesis. As I consult my LastFM scrobbles which I've set to my son's birthday: Jan 27th 2014 til the present day, I see The Beatles rank as my 8th most played artist, Black Sabbath is #22 and Type O are #31 out of 3,607 total artists scrobbled. This only counts songs I've played on my desktop player while sitting at the computer, not in the car or from my phone or DAP through iem's or Youtube videos or anything else. I might have guessed the numbers for those 3 artists would be flipped around with Type O on top and the Beatles on the bottom because I feel like I listen to Type O more, but it is what it is, the numbers don't lie.

Still all 3 of these bands have made their way into the top 1% of bands I've listened to the most, so it's safe to say my infatuation with Type O runs deeper than just a passing fancy. They're from Brooklyn, they're around my age (at least Pete and Josh were, Kenny and John are a year or two younger than you) they grew up listening to the same bands I did, they have metal and hardcore roots, they have a dark and savage NY sense of humor, I've watched tons of old interview footage and stuff and I feel like I know these guys. So it'd be all but impossible to imagine not having had them and their music in my life for the last 30 years and try to guess how I'd react to their music if I was hearing it fresh for the first time here and now in my elderliness.

Bloody Kisses was my first brush with Type O, I remember buying the cassette the same day I bought Sacred Reich's Independent. I wasn't in love with them right from day one, I was more intrigued than anything else, they are certainly a unique band. It took me a bit of warming up to really appreciate what they were all about musically, but it didn't take me that long to see there was a lot more going on there with them beyond just the vampire schtick. I still hear little things on those albums that I've never noticed before even now.

I can totally see how you might think they wouldn't be my thing, they're not extreme metal and they are a lot more polished and lush and pretty than most of what I listen to. I would not call them commercial though, maybe a song or two here and there but not for the most part. (give them the wife test and see what she says about them) But surely you understand by now that the evil goat metal filth and the caustic satanic black metal and the crushing cavernous death metal are just a few of the many facets of my musical interests. I suppose it's true that raw goat filth is the kind of music I get most excited about these days, and extreme metal does take up the bulk of my listening time, but I can still listen to and appreciate other stuff as well. 

The debut was mine going back a decade or so, hence my fondness for it. Jarring to hear LIKM next. As for most played bands Death, Bathory, My Dying Bride from there I really don’t know…

Interesting. I haven't looked or thought about Last.fm in quite some time. Not even sure what apps I have linked to it aside from Spotify. Pretty sure I don't have the plugin installed on my server, something I may due when I rebuild. I mainly listen to music I own stored on my phone or on my server. So I think the chart only partially reflects what I actually listen to. Moreso reflects the music I listen to on playlists I make of songs I like for various occasions - driving with the wife, playing golf with the boys, working in the yard, drinking beer on the back deck. Mindless listening if you will. Still interesting to see what the data says.

All time:

1. Judas Priest

2. Iron Maiden

3. Def Leppard

4. Black Sabbath

5. Rush

6. The Cure

7. Bad Religion

8. Accept

9. Manilla Road

10. Blue Oyster Cult

Past year:

1. Judas Priest

2. Iron Maiden

3. Clutch

4. Dokken

5. Trampled by Turtles

6. ASG

7. Metallica

8. Black Sabbath

9. Thin Lizzy

10. AC/DC

A few surprises there. Top 7 all time I could have told you without looking, but I would have the order different. Accept surprises me though. Didn't think they would even make the list since I'm not a huge fan, but I guess I have a handful of songs on every playlist. Switching over to album rank however, Mercyful Fate's first two take the top 2 spots followed by The Wipers - Is This Real?, Metal Church - Metal Church, Judas Priest - British Steel, Celtic Frost - To Mega Therion, Def Leppard - Pyromania followed by High N Dry, and last but not least taking up 10th place is Manilla Road - Crystal Logic.

Song view is hilarious. Can definitely tell my wife uses my Spotify account alot. Top 20 is all New Agey shit she plays at work for her clients. Relaxing spa music crap. Only 2 songs in the top 30 I even recognize (Descendants and Mercyful Fate). Fun what data can tell you retrospectively looking over your habits. Like a musical bank account statement.

Anyway, today so far:
Wagner Ödegård - Om kosmos och de tolv järtekn

Baptism - V: The Devil's Fire

UUBBUURRUU - UUBBUURRUU

@Sheol Sorry for the delay on my end in putting this together. Here's some Swans material from before their 1997 breakup.

A couple tracks from Filth. I fucking love this album. Their only album with drummer Roli Mosimann, who had a bit more of a swing to his beats than the stuff they'd do afterwards. Vicious for 1983... still vicious today.

"Stay Here":

"Right Wrong":

"Seal It Over" from the same time period, on the Body To Body, Job To Job comp:

"Half Life", the opening track from their 1984 album Cop:

"Money Is Flesh" from Greed, their first album with Jarboe - this album got a bit more "industrial" and atmospheric:

A couple of tracks from Children Of God. This album is special, one of their unmissable recordings IMO. Perfect combination of their impassioned bludgeoning and the atmospheric elements Jarboe brought to the table.

"Beautiful Child":

"In My Garden" - a lovely melodic counterpoint to the fury:

Moving fully into that melodic period from the late 80s-early 90s, here's one of my absolute favorite Swans tunes, "Why Are We Alive?" - the edit from Various Failures, with the super cool little section in the middle that they inexplicably left out of the album version:

"When She Breathes" - nice Jarboe tune from White Light From The Mouth Of Infinity.

"The Golden Boy That Was Swallowed By The Sea" from Love Of Life. Another of my all-time fave Swans tracks.

Another standout from Love Of Life, "Eyes Of Nature":

"Killing For Company", a mellow but excellent track from The Great Annihilator:

"Mother/Father" - Jarboe bringing some more raw energy to her vocals:

For comparison purposes, here are a couple of alternate versions of a track called "I See Them All Lined Up" - this one, monotonous, from the Gira side album Drainland:

And as a live Swans tune from Swans Are Dead, love this version:

Also from Swans Are Dead, a track initially from Cop - "I Crawled". Great Jarboe vocal performance. She gets downright vicious. This one's a slow burn. Listen to the whole thing.

Hope you enjoy some of this!

2 hours ago, navybsn said:

What do you think? I haven't given it a go yet. Love the cover art.

...picks up right where "Book Of Bad Decisions" left off. ...classic CLUTCH riffs and lyrics....

...I don't really rate CLUTCH records because they are always consistently elite and I'm never disappointed.....the only time I was ever slightly let down was "Beale Street" but that record was still solid and I can always put it on and enjoy the listen....

2 hours ago, MarkhantonioYeatts said:

...picks up right where "Book Of Bad Decisions" left off. ...classic CLUTCH riffs and lyrics....

...I don't really rate CLUTCH records because they are always consistently elite and I'm never disappointed.....the only time I was ever slightly let down was "Beale Street" but that record was still solid and I can always put it on and enjoy the listen....

I agree with your assessment. I prefer early Clutch, but I've never really heard anything bad by them. And one of the most entertaining live bands I've seen. Never disappointed in one of their gigs.

This afternoon:

Circle of Ouroborus - Uskottomien kirkossa / Tarpeeton

Escotrilihum - Urinhsol

Condor - Unstoppable Power