What Are You Listening To?

khaos

6 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Killing Joke finally clicked with me after trying off and on for many years, while generally maintaining a 'yeah it's good but I could take it or leave it' attitude for most of that time, similar to yours. Not really sure what caused me to have this big KJ epiphany. My buddy Bob posted a pic of his car dashboard head unit and it said artist: Killing Joke, album: Absolute Dissent (forget which song) and so I just randomly dialed it up on YouTube and was blown away. I listened to most of their newer albums (90's til the present day) 2 or 3 times each in about 24 - 36 hours Mon & Tues and not much else. Couldn't get enough of them. (except for Democracy, wasn't real keen on that one)

Pandemonium was quite a big deal for me when it came out in early 90s. But I've never heard a single other Killing Joke album.

Jaz Coleman had a kiwi connection as he lived there I think and produced a Shihad record.

Not much KJ represented on bandcamp...although the live album might be a good start to get up to speed.

Factoid: playing Royal Albert Hall in March 2023!

10 hours ago, JonoBlade said:

Pandemonium was quite a big deal for me when it came out in early 90s. But I've never heard a single other Killing Joke album.

Jaz Coleman had a kiwi connection as he lived there I think and produced a Shihad record.

Not much KJ represented on bandcamp...although the live album might be a good start to get up to speed.

Factoid: playing Royal Albert Hall in March 2023!

They have a bunch of digital KJ albums on Amazon for $9 - $10 if you're interested. I told Navy just the other night that you would burn some fossil fuel to come pick us up at Heathrow next March for the KJ show at the RAH since you're in metro London, but he says he can't swing it. I probably wouldn't be able to swing it either because I'd probably have to find all kinds of ID to update my passport which exxpired last year and then figure out who was gonna watch the kid for a few days. But I think you should go and give us a full report. I'm sure you'd like them much better than those Inter Arma dudes you're always gushing about.

NP: Verrat - Zeiten der Leere, Austrian crust

10 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

They have a bunch of digital KJ albums on Amazon for $9 - $10 if you're interested. I told Navy just the other night that you would burn some fossil fuel to come pick us up at Heathrow next March for the KJ show at the RAH since you're in metro London, but he says he can't swing it. I probably wouldn't be able to swing it either because I'd probably have to find all kinds of ID to update my passport which exxpired last year and then figure out who was gonna watch the kid for a few days. But I think you should go and give us a full report. I'm sure you'd like them much better than those Inter Arma dudes you're always gushing about.

"Always gushing about" it was one thread! 

I burn fossil fuels to go to the airport a few times a year so I can get down from my high horse to make the trip if need be.

However, I just checked and it appears there is literally only one seat left right at the back. Or a few £1000 hospitality boxes. So that's only £250 each x 4 seats.

I won't buy from Amazon though so am a bit stuffed on that one. 

Usually passport renewals are quite straightforward. I imagine USA has an online system like UK and NZ. You can even submit your own selfie from a cell phone as the picture these days. 

I did put on Pandemonium yesterday. I have it on vinyl and a 12 inch remix single. And listened to the live album from bandcamp. Not quite as amazing as I was hoping (mainly due to poor live vocals and a rant about death of Princess Diana), but will check out some other material.

Fugitive -  Maniac (2022)

Fuck Around Friday this week sees the new band from Blake Ibanez and Lincoln Mullins delivering some crossover thrashing madness.  If you have heard Power Trip or Enforced and like to hear what they would sound like if John Tardy did vocals then Fugitive are for you (John Tardy doesn't do the vocals btw).

4 hours ago, JonoBlade said:

Usually passport renewals are quite straightforward. I imagine USA has an online system like UK and NZ. You can even submit your own selfie from a cell phone as the picture these days. 

You quite underestimate our fine bureaucracy. They are just rolling out a pilot program to start doing passport renewal online. Still old fashioned paperwork you have to mail in with a physical picture attached. 6-8 week wait to process unless you drive to a passport office a few hours away (unless you live in a big city).

Black Witchery - Inferno of Sacred Destruction

Fetid Zombie - Transmutations

Ljosazabojstwa - Głoryja śmierci

7 hours ago, MacabreEternal said:

Fugitive -  Maniac (2022)

Fuck Around Friday this week sees the new band from Blake Ibanez and Lincoln Mullins delivering some crossover thrashing madness.  If you have heard Power Trip or Enforced and like to hear what they would sound like if John Tardy did vocals then Fugitive are for you (John Tardy doesn't do the vocals btw).

Can confirm. Fun record.

NP: Sumerlands - Dreamkiller - so far so good. Still miss Phil Swanson on vocals and I think I preferred the production of the first album which was a touch darker, but fuck these reincarnation of Jake E Lee riffs are just so tasty.

1 minute ago, markm said:

Decided to try Type O Negative-October Rust. Know a lot of you guys like these guys. So 90's. Sorry lads, I think this blows. 

Their worst album IMO. The poppiest and most "accessible". Give World Coming Down a shot before you write them off... or don't, it took me about 5 years between when I first heard them and when I started liking them.

9 hours ago, navybsn said:

You quite underestimate our fine bureaucracy. They are just rolling out a pilot program to start doing passport renewal online. Still old fashioned paperwork you have to mail in with a physical picture attached. 6-8 week wait to process unless you drive to a passport office a few hours away (unless you live in a big city).

Seems like a worldwide problem. Since the Australian government reopened things passport renewals are taking up to 16 weeks. When it was first opened up earlier this year there were people queuing for 8-10 hours and still not being seen. Apparently it's eased a little bit now but they are still struggling with processing. My silly outlaws in Perth booked a holiday to Singapore in February before organising their passports and they've been told they may not have all their passports before then due to the backlog.

NP: Critical Defiance - No Life Forms

34 minutes ago, markm said:

Decided to try Type O Negative-October Rust. Know a lot of you guys like these guys. So 90's. Sorry lads, I think this blows. 

As the Google Father says, worst album and definitely not a recommended starting point. Earliest I'd recommend is Bloody Kisses. Work forward from there. WCD is their best IMO. Life is Killing Me is pretty good too. Type O is cool weather night time music for me. Another month or 3 before I start spinning it. YMMV

Aosoth - The Inside Scriptures

Aosoth - An Arrow In Heart

One of those bands where I'd consider myself a pretty big fan, and should listen to them more often, but they, and many others, are constantly lost in the shuffle of me failing to strike a good balance between checking out new music and listening to what's already in my collection. Too much good music gets forgotten about on a regular basis, feels good to revisit.

Type O Negative/Bloody Kisses-this fares better, clearly going for a more metal, albeit accessible sound -like a gothic doomy Danzig. I see it's considered a classic. 

After time spent with Swans/White Light and Various failures which are variously great and clumsy post punk comparisons-Swans can't be pigeonholed by anyone as they transcend genre description-----listening to:

Joy Division/Unknown Pleasures

Opeth/Pale Communion-because....well, I have no excuse, because I possess the disc.