What Are You Listening To?

khaos

Nearly all our grounds play both sports. Most of the old ones have 'cricket' in their title, while it's really only the AFL that can afford to build new stadiums. They can even play Gentleman's ball on a round field if they try because most ovals are bigger than the rectangle needs of Gentleman ball.

You need lines and corners to tell you where you are? That's can't be right, I've seen American's drive, lines and corners make no difference to how bad they are!

Obituary - Slowly We Rot

9 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

Nearly all our grounds play both sports. Most of the old ones have 'cricket' in their title, while it's really only the AFL that can afford to build new stadiums. They can even play Gentleman's ball on a round field if they try because most ovals are bigger than the rectangle needs of Gentleman ball.

You need lines and corners to tell you where you are? That's can't be right, I've seen American's drive, lines and corners make no difference to how bad they are!

Obituary - Slowly We Rot

Beat me to it, of course the American is confused by anything which isn’t a straight line…

45 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

The AFL is the only sports league turning a profit? Guess that Big Bash League never really took off like they'd hoped, eh? Seemed like a big deal when I was over there going by the TV ads for it every 10 minutes. Guess it's difficult to get proper national sporting leagues up and running successfully when you have such a limited number of large cities. In the states though our sports franchises typically get the city to build their new stadiums for them out of taxpayer money. If they refuse the owners just threaten to move the team to another city. We have lots of big cities. It can be confusing if you don't follow a sport closely when the teams move across the country, like when the Seattle Supersonics moved to OKC and became the Thunder, or when the Houston Oilers moved to Nashville to be the Tennessee Titans and then they started a whole new franchise from scratch in Houston called the Texans. 

And yes, if I was playing a sport where I had to leap into the air and try to catch an oblong ball that was coming down at me end over end while a bunch of sweaty dudes were trying to bump and hug and tackle me I think some sidelines or yard markers or something would be helpful to get my bearings after I landed so I'd know which direction to run, no? 

And what exactly is Gentlemen's Ball? Sounds a bit like a pillow fight to me.

I don't know the exact profit margins but yeah the AFL is making more profit than anyone else.

Cricket in general doesn't make the money that AFL does mainly because AFL is 18 teams, 24 odd weeks of competition, plus pre-season of about 6-8 weeks and now with women's AFL it's an even longer season. Big Bash is worth a lot to some of the players and while I have heard players offered million dollar packages I don't think the number offered that is as high as footballers getting offered million dollar contracts. Big Bash (or T20 I think it might be called) overseas is worth quite a bit more than here because we just don't have the sponsors to offer such a huge pay cheque. AFL recently singed a TV rights deal worth 4.8 billion (I think it was), largest ever deal in this country, but it's chump change compared to what overseas comps can get from a world wide audience.

Gentleman ball, = that think Doc keeps talking about since AFL isn't a thinking man's sport.

22 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

The AFL is the only sports league turning a profit? Guess that Big Bash League never really took off like they'd hoped, eh? Seemed like a big deal when I was over there going by the TV ads for it every 10 minutes. Guess it's difficult to get proper national sporting leagues up and running successfully when you have such a limited number of large cities. In the states though our sports franchises typically get the city to build their new stadiums for them out of taxpayer money. If they refuse the owners just threaten to move the team to another city. We have lots of big cities. It can be confusing if you don't follow a sport closely when the teams move across the country, like when the Seattle Supersonics moved to OKC and became the Thunder, or when the Houston Oilers moved to Nashville to be the Tennessee Titans and then they started a whole new franchise from scratch in Houston called the Texans. 

And yes, if I was playing a sport where I had to leap into the air and try to catch an oblong ball that was coming down at me end over end while a bunch of sweaty dudes were trying to bump and hug and tackle me I think some sidelines or yard markers or something would be helpful to get my bearings after I landed so I'd know which direction to run, no? 

And what exactly is Gentlemen's Ball? Sounds a bit like a pillow fight to me.

There are markers, but I guess as Australians are just intelligent enough to remember which way we are meant to kick the ball…

2 hours ago, KillaKukumba said:

Gentleman ball, = that think Doc keeps talking about since AFL isn't a thinking man's sport.

I've never thought of gentleman anything in relation to Rugby League (league/the footie) although 'Rugby' thinks of itself as a gentleman's game. They are such poonces. Call it 'thinking ball' perhaps. No, that won't catch on. Call it the fucking footie.

Does the AFL actually pay for its stadiums? The lovely new NRL stadiums in Sydney were paid for by the government.

This topic should be on the tormenting Thatguy thread, so back on topic.

LOST HOURS - Faith's Reward. OK, but fairly bland doom.

VAURUVÃ -Manso Queimor Dacordado. Slightly exotic BM. Pretty good.

REVOCATION - Neverheaven. This is even better second time through.

FALLUJAH - Empyrean. And so is this. The thing is these guys have their bag of  tricks - as all bands do - and they run through that again here so there is nothing totally novel here but they deliver what I expected from an album by them. My favourite track is the second last one - an instrumental.

On 9/10/2022 at 4:51 PM, markm said:

Gira said in an interview that that their earlier experiments in volume were attracting a macho rock audience he didn't care for (uh, like the guys in Neurosis maybe) and wanted to move in other directions. He also said he thought there was some good material but he was still  learning to write a song. 

Does he refer to the first Swans albums or any particular period? I've only really heard The Seer and the one after that and they were both excellent and oppressive

Today is the day after the Swedish elections and it seems that the right wing bloc will get (a very fucking narrow) majority. 175 seats compared to 174 for the center-left. So it's a sad day for the country today, since the right wing block are dominated by the ex-neo-nazi party Swedish Democrats (they are now the second largest party after the Social Democrats!), and they will guaranteed want minister posts. So today I'm blasting some fast as fuck crustpunk.

Massgrav - Slowly we rock

4 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Yup that must be it, you're just smarter than we are.

I'm pretty sure you are the only person ever to suggest football players are smarter than....well anyone.

2 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Does the AFL actually pay for its stadiums? The lovely new NRL stadiums in Sydney were paid for by the government.

I think they had a major stake in the new(est) stadium in Melbourne, but no they don't pay for it all, they still heavily rely on the state gubbermint for both the outlay and the continued upkeep. Even naming rights for X years isn't enough to stop gubbermint money, it's too easy to get.

2 hours ago, Thatguy said:

REVOCATION - Neverheaven. This is even better second time through.

I can agree with that.

NP: Addictive - Pity Of Man

3 hours ago, Sheol said:

Does he refer to the first Swans albums or any particular period? I've only really heard The Seer and the one after that and they were both excellent and oppressive

Today is the day after the Swedish elections and it seems that the right wing bloc will get (a very fucking narrow) majority. 175 seats compared to 174 for the center-left. So it's a sad day for the country today, since the right wing block are dominated by the ex-neo-nazi party Swedish Democrats (they are now the second largest party after the Social Democrats!), and they will guaranteed want minister posts. So today I'm blasting some fast as fuck crustpunk.

Massgrav - Slowly we rock

Sorry to hear about your election-seems to be a worldwide movement to fascist-like parties attracting large minority votes.

I got into Swans with Seer. The albums FA and I are talking about are a transitional period that in my mind bridge the gap between the two eras. I haven't heard all the earlier albums but have some of them. The Great Annihilator is very good.  

2 hours ago, Sheol said:

Their early stuff was crushing. I think it's fantastic but it's not for everyone. Filth, Cop, Body To Body, Greed, Holy Money... loud and abrasive. They got more atmospheric on Children Of God (phenomenal album) but still kept a lot of the pounding and yelling, just interspersed with soft Jarboe tunes. That was 1987. They did a complete about-face the next year with The Burning World, produced by Bill Laswell, which Gira has basically disavowed. It's very light and kind of sappy. Singing instead of yelling. Lots of Laswell-added world instruments and songwriting geared towards a wider audience. Gira might have hated the result, but that was a definite turning point. Their next few recordings into the mid 90s were melody-driven, expansive, shimmery at times - their Goth period in a way. I love all that stuff too. That culminated in the wonderful The Great Annihilator, and then they got pretty weird and dark with Soundtracks For The Blind, and then they broke up. During this time they were also doing live shows that still had a lot of energy, and you can hear Gira and Jarboe switching roles in that loud/soft dynamic they developed in the 80s; she got downright ferocious. The Swans Are Dead live recordings capture some amazing stuff from this time period. If you're interested I can hunt down some tracks on youtube in a bit.

My Dying Bride - Feel the Misery

6 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Pretty good.

The AFL owns Marvel Stadium - bought it (and the Company that ran it) in 2016 for $270Million. Has now been valued at over $1Billion. 

21 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Some days I back the red disc, other days I'm on team yellow. Some real highlights on both. How are you liking it? I think Mark was right to say the JD comparison was off base, but from a sonic perspective I can also see where it was coming from.

I liked it ok. Swans is a band I've never really been able to crack the code on. It was a rather dreary morning, so it seemed to fit somewhat, but to be honest I found myself zoning out a bit and not paying much attention.

Today

UFO - UFO 1

UFO - UFO 2 Flying

UFO - Force It

Opeth - In Cauda Venenum

4 minutes ago, navybsn said:

I liked it ok. Swans is a band I've never really been able to crack the code on. It was a rather dreary morning, so it seemed to fit somewhat, but to be honest I found myself zoning out a bit and not paying much attention.

They're a deeply rewarding band if they happen to catch you at the right time. It feels like they take a different kind of listening than other post-punk, or really most of what I listen to - more meditative, semi-trancelike. I've got a lot of great memories of just sitting or laying somewhere, being immersed in the music. I listen to them less these days because I have less time to do that.