What Are You Listening To?

khaos

More raiding my long lost (not really) 2015 vault:

Tribulation/Children of the Night

Horrendous/Anareta-I remember these guys got some hate and I don't remember why. Too proggy I guess, but it's not soft cock DM, it's fairly complex and knotty, maybe too noodley or serpentine and not direct enough, but I think this is a good listen. A mix of trad DM, prog sensibilities-like I can hear echoes of Atheist, and at times melodeth with swedeath influenced vocals which just means to me more hardcore influenced horse rasp-thank you Martin Van Duren. Maybe someone here can tell me why they are supposed to suck so bad-haha.

Afghan Whigs/How Do You Burn-I've never actually listened to AW. Saw they had a well reviewed new one, and surprise-kind of like this! Decent and varied rock/indie rock. 

Now for some of Navy's post punk queued up on Sonos/Spotify

Crimes of Passing-definitely see the appeal here, I like the fairly overt punk, forceful sound with lots of melody-there's a pop punk aspect that's still angsty and dirty enough to be gutter level which is a good thing. In other words, it's not too sweet and pretty.

Casket Casette-not liking this as much....but just a couple of tracks in.  

38 minutes ago, markm said:

Horrendous/Anareta-I remember these guys got some hate and I don't remember why. Too proggy I guess, but it's not soft cock DM, it's fairly complex and knotty, maybe too noodley or serpentine and not direct enough, but I think this is a good listen. A mix of trad DM, prog sensibilities-like I can hear echoes of Atheist, and at times melodeth with swedeath influenced vocals which just means to me more hardcore influenced horse rasp-thank you Martin Van Duren. Maybe someone here can tell me why they are supposed to suck so bad-haha.

I don't think anyone ever claimed they sucked, as in they're bad at what they do, but they started out as a straightforward death metal band with their Sweet Blasphemy demo and then The Chills full length. Then they went off in a cleaner sounding, prog direction with Ecdysis which got all the pretentious metal fans creaming their skinny jeans, while sending all the old-school heshers running for the hills. So the hate is more just your typical division in the metal community.

The dislike for Anareta and Idol has more to do with the fact that they're kind of stuck in a rut of not doing anything to improve on what they did in Ecdysis...prog nerds are fickle like that

50 minutes ago, markm said:

Tribulation/Children of the Night

That's it in a nutshell. I can't/won't/don't do prog, period-full stop. When the prog comes in this old school hesher goes running for the hills. In Horrendous' case I think their shift to prog was doubly hard to accept for some of us because that Sweet Blasphemies demo had been SOOOOOOOOO fucking good. I was excited for the full length until I heard it and it sucked. No biggie, plenty of other bands to keep me happy.

Flames of Hell - Fire and Steel, Iceland 1987

Törr - Witchhammer demo, Czechia 1987

Poison - Into the Abyss...  Germany 1986

34 minutes ago, SurgicalBrute said:

Wait...what didn't you like about "The Chills" album?

It wasn't the demo. As far as riffs and songwriting and everything I found it to be a letdown. Wasn't high enough on the caveman scale. Didn't rip the way I wanted it to. I've since deleted it.

Dammit, now Surge has me turning off my Poison which I was very much enjoying to listen to Horrendous' The Chills album. Hard to believe this was Jan 2012 over a decade ago. It's not a terrible album, "sucks" was probably a bit too harsh, they didn't start really sucking hard til the next one. I do like the vocals here and it's presented in an acceptable style. My problem was just that none of these songs grabbed me, I didn't find it memorable or compelling. And I suppose my decision to delete it earlier this year was partially based on knowing they went right down the prog chute after this. I did keep the demo though, I love that one. I guess the short answer is that in a vast ocean of what I'll call the new wave of osdm albums that started coming around '09/'10 I didn't find this one to be anything special. I do generally gravitate more toward the Incantation clones and blackened occult death metal with a murkier more overtly evil atmosphere.

Carrion Bloom - Sacraments of Pestilence

a2683207991_16.jpg

35 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

It's not a terrible album, "sucks" was probably a bit too harsh, they didn't start really sucking hard til the next one

That was what threw me off. While I wouldn't call it one of my favorites for the year, I didn't think it was a particularly awful album either

4 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

No one can, or should, take a left handed anything serious!

As a proud southpaw I take umbrage with this assertion… I doth therefore challenge thee to meet me on the field of cricket, whereupon I shall rend thy stumps in Twain. Ok that was funnier in my head

Velnias - RuneEater

3 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Some days I back the red disc, other days I'm on team yellow. Some real highlights on both. How are you liking it? I think Mark was right to say the JD comparison was off base, but from a sonic perspective I can also see where it was coming from.

I like it very much. I've only listened once, and can't really compare the first or second disc or for that matter compare Various Failures to the 3 disc White Lite from the Mouth of Infinity/Love of Life comp which I think is excellent and has so music music it took be the better part of a week to digest. And then there's World of Skin from around the same time period I believe. Lots of good stuff, quite varied, bizarre in places (well we are talking Swans) and overall a low key version of Swans. 

Digging into the 2014 vaults:

Primordial/Where Greater Men have Fallen-Primordial were on quite the streak in the early aughts with The Gathering Wilderness and To The Nameless dead, the quality here isn't the same but it's still pretty dang good. 

Pallbearer-Foundations of Burden I have exactly one Pallbearer album and it's probably their best. Clean doom over all in the current era just doesn't hit the nail like the classics-talking bands like Trouble, Candlemass and Pentagram and pretty much Wino's entire career-like hard doom which I'd call anything with some extremity and that includes cosmic doom and doom genre shifting bands which most def would include Electric Wizard and YOB-those two bands pretty well encapsulate the best doom has to offer IMHO. 

Yeah, one Pallbearer album which is pretty decent and two Khemmis albums and TBH, the two bands are as indistinguishable to me as the greater part of GG's entire collection is-in fact, I think they they are actually same band.  

12 hours ago, JamesT said:

Fantastic choice!  I've been a huge fan of My Dying Bride for several years now.  Aaron Stainthorpe is a mastermind.  "Songs of Darkness, Words of Light" was the album on which I discovered the band, and I've never looked back!  If I had to pick a favorite album, it would probably be "The Dreadful Hours", but there really aren't any albums that I dislike.  

I prefer the first three MDB albums, but as a whole those guys are quite influential on my own guitar playing

26 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

Can we do it on an indoor cricket field. I don't want you to have to run too far to chase the ball down after I smash it to the boundary!!

Don't they already play both Cricket and AFL on the same round cricket field in Adelaide or some dumb shit like that? As an American I'm just against round field sports in general. How the fuck do you even know where you are on the field with no end lines or corners?

Adelaide Oval | LinkedIn