What Are You Listening To?

khaos

3 hours ago, Hungarino said:

Why would they do such a thing? 

Sorry for the late reply...

...because those labels are run by sketchballs. So stuff on labels like Werwolf, Purity Through Fire, Drakkar, etc. which tend to sign a lot of those bands doesn't show up on Bandcamp unless the band has their own separate page

3 hours ago, zackflag said:

Because a many of those labels feature some overt NS bands on their roster (Werewolf records, for example), and Bandcamp was recently purchased by a larger corporation who likely wanna keep their image and their hands clean of that type of stuff.

They were doing that long before being purchased by Epic Games

11 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Definitely gonna be in my top 3 for the year, and I feel comfortable saying that even not knowing what could drop in the last 4 months of the year. This album does indeed represent the sound I seek out when looking for 2nd wave black metal of the trve variety. The Finns just seem to have it figured out.

Serpentfyre are the only Finnish black metal band on my running list of 2022 favorites here currently besides Order of Nosferat who are Germany/Finland (German multi-instrumentalist/vocalist with a Finnish drummer, who coincidentally is also in Serpentfyre and a few other bands). This is unusual. I usually have twice as many Finnish black metal bands than from any other country. I currently have 4 German, 3 Swedes, even 3 US black metal albums listed as well as 2 Spanish 2 Belgian and 2 Austrian bands. But only 1 Finnish band. I expect this will likely change by December.

The goats have spoken. Imma gonna haveta listen to this motherfucker. Saved to my BC waitlist. 

8 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I suppose there must be a few people for whom Finnish black metal might not be the superior black metal, but I have trouble seeing things from their point of view.

I guess I'm one of those people, most Finnish BM leaves me high and dry. I was going to "leaves me cold", but isn't that the point, or something. Give me early to mid 2nd wave Norway, some British stuff, a couple of bands from Greece, Iceland, Russia, Poland, Ukraine, even the good ol USA... but somehow the only Finnish BM I really dig is Circle of O. And yet 90s Finndeath is one of my favorite things.

But right now I'm playing Joy Division, the "Closer plus" extended disc off the box set. I think it might be "bad mood" music for me. Got all set up for November Rain at my buddy's wedding, rehearsed it a few times, all set to go, sounding good, and we got shut down by some Bridezilla moves about rwo minutes in. All dressed up and no place to go  Gotta say it's a massive bummer right now.

There's definitely a lot of Finnish black metal that I really enjoy, but I'd put that country in the "quantity over quality" category when it comes to their black metal output. For every thirty or so black metal albums that come out of Finland, I might actually like one of them enough to purchase.

NP: Human Serpent - Inhumane Minimalism 

52 minutes ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

I literally have 2 albums released this year but I have even listened to. As is normally the case with these things I’ll probably wait until December then start binging any and everything that came out this year.

I've got 92 of them so far that I liked enough to buy, but I'm sure I'll end up deleting 10% of those in the next year or two when I notice I haven't listened to them and they're not up to par. So I'm a bit behind my ususal pace which is a good thing because most years I generally buy way too much stuff. I'm sure I had at least 200 by this time last year.

21 minutes ago, zackflag said:

There's definitely a lot of Finnish black metal that I really enjoy, but I'd put that country in the "quantity over quality" category when it comes to their black metal output. For every thirty or so black metal albums that come out of Finland, I might actually like one of them enough to purchase.

So you think you might buy about 3 or 4 out of 100, I think I'm probably more like 50/50 with the Finnblack I hear. I've got so much of it at this point that I've started passing on a lot more of it than I used to. But it's still unquestionably my favorite style of black metal, and black metal is without a doubt my favorite sub-genre of metal, so I can only resist temptation so much. Haven't bought too much black metal recently because of the heat this summer, but I'm waiting for it to start cooling off in another 4 - 6 weeks or so and then I can go hog wild on the Musta Metal for the last 3 months of the year.

HOOFLESS - Ad Nauseum. Nicely played. interesting orchestration. Folkish prog. It's OK.

LUXFERRE - Faces. Kind of post-rock with vocals. Worth revisiting.

PRIMITIVE MAN - Immersion. This is ugly in good way. Best thing so far this week.

BA'AL Ellipsism. But this is good too.

NP - ANTON WEBERN - Anton Webern Complete Works: Op.1 - Op. 31. The least prolific of the power trio.

10 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

But right now I'm playing Joy Division, the "Closer plus" extended disc off the box set.

I could listen to Peter Hook play bass all day. One of the smoothest and catchiest dudes to ever pick up a 4-string.

2 hours ago, MarkhantonioYeatts said:

MERCYFUL FATE - Live At Bloodstock

.......not the best quality sound....but  still fyre......

Can't wait.....Sunday!

Lamp of Murmur - Plenilunar Requiems

Enslaved - Ruun