What Are You Listening To?

khaos

2 hours ago, KillaKukumba said:

So the GG told me I had to listen to more black metal and I always listen to senior citizens. So unbeknownst to him (until the wind changed) I've been following him around today.

Oh my god you want to see what he gets up too!!

I actually meant I was following him musically, by listening to the same albums he's been listening too as noted by this thread, on the previous page. I didn't get through them all because I think he listens to albums at triple speed :P

But it's been an interesting day, I listened to the following (and if they aren't all BM blame the GG!!)

Fogos

SMRT

Sarcator (not one of GG's)

Korgonthurus

Agrimonia x 2

Agnosy

Tragedy x 2

Exilent

My review: Music's okay vocals suck! yadda, yadda, yadda

Oops, that sounds like GG reviewing thrash. What I meant to say was

Tragedy is not my thing, but it's listenable. The first Agrimonia I listened to (Rites) was okay but the songs were too long for my goldfish brain. The second Agrimonia was ok, but strangely despite the longer songs I likes Rites better. Sarcator was the best thing I heard. Exilent, Agnosy, SMRT weren't too bad but I couldn't get into Korongthurus.

Now I have to go and wash my ears out with bleach! :P

Yeah, I was on a crust binge Monday night which caried over into early Tuesday morning after I'd fallen asleep for 2 or 3 hours and then woke up at 5:15 and couldn't get back to sleep. So all of those Tragedy's and Agrimonia's the Agnosy and the Exigent were some sort of crust or crust hybrid. I did finally sleep again from about 8am til 10 Tuesday morning and then I was doing shit until about 2pm when I started in on the black metal with the Korgunthurus. But then the power went out around 3pm which killed the music and we went out for awhile.

Kid had a dentist's appt at 4 but they called me at 3:45 when we were halfway there in the car to say they didnt have any power either so skip it. So I turned around and went off in search of food because I figured I wouldn't be able to cook without power. But everything was closed, all the traffic lights were out, no one had power, guy at the burrito place told me the whole fucking county was out. So from there we ended up driving an hour all the way up to the Chipotle up in Middletown NY because we wanted burritos. Figured they'd have power up there and they did. Got home around 6 ate our Chipotle and all my clocks said 12:20 so the power had just come back on. Crisis averted because the kid wouldn't know what to do without his TV. He told me in the car he wasn't gonna eat until the power came back on because he likes to watch while he eats. 

Anyway then Fogos & SMRT (also black metal) were posted at 8pm. Guess that's when you stopped following me because you didn't mention any the next batch of stuff I posted 2 hours ago at 3am. (5pm Wed your time) So you got off easy, only 3 black metal albums out of 9 in 21 hours. It's too hot in this heat wave we've been having, black metal is more of a cold weather genre for me. Or at least black metal's not what I crave when it's sweltering. Been listening to a lot more death metal and crust than black metal the last 6 weeks or so. Except sometimes in the wee hours like right now. Only 70° right now at 5:30am (21°C)

Denevér - Vámpír, black metal Hungary, doesn't seem to be on bandcamp so I'll have to do some hunting.

55 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Yeah, I was on a crust binge Monday night which caried over into early Tuesday morning after I'd fallen asleep for 2 or 3 hours and then woke up at 5:15 and couldn't get back to sleep. So all of those Tragedy's and Agrimonia's the Agnosy and the Exigent were some sort of crust or crust hybrid. I did finally sleep again from about 8am til 10 Tuesday morning and then I was doing shit until about 2pm when I started in on the black metal with the Korgunthurus. But then the power went out around 3pm which killed the music and we went out for awhile.

Kid had a dentist's appt at 4 but they called me at 3:45 when we were halfway there in the car to say they didnt have any power either so skip it. So I turned around and went off in search of food because I figured I wouldn't be able to cook without power. But everything was closed, all the traffic lights were out, no one had power, guy at the burrito place told me the whole fucking county was out. So from there we ended up driving an hour all the way up to the Chipotle up in Middletown NY because we wanted burritos. Figured they'd have power up there and they did. Got home around 6 ate our Chipotle and all my clocks said 12:20 so the power had just come back on. Crisis averted because the kid wouldn't know what to do without his TV. He told me in the car he wasn't gonna eat until the power came back on because he likes to watch while he eats. 

Anyway then Fogos & SMRT (also black metal) were posted at 8pm. Guess that's when you stopped following me because you didn't mention any the next batch of stuff I posted 2 hours ago at 3am. (5pm Wed your time) So you got off easy, only 3 black metal albums out of 9 in 21 hours. It's too hot in this heat wave we've been having, black metal is more of a cold weather genre for me. Or at least black metal's not what I crave when it's sweltering. Been listening to a lot more death metal and crust than black metal the last 6 weeks or so. Except sometimes in the wee hours like right now. Only 70° right now at 5:30am (21°C)

Denevér - Vámpír, black metal Hungary, doesn't seem to be on bandcamp so I'll have to do some hunting.

100% with you, black and doom Matthew for me on winter genres, but I don’t really have a taste for death metal in the heat either. When summer rolls around here generally I bust out the power metal and thrash

NP: Lykathea Aflame - Elvenefris

this is guaranteed to make my top 10 of 2000 list

2 hours ago, navybsn said:

Katatonia - The Great Cold Distance

If you catch them on a good day, they can really deliver. They were pretty bad the first time I saw them (on tour for this album, coincidentally), but they seemed to more or less get their legs under them after that. TGCD is one of my favorite albums of theirs but I get the impression I'm in the minority... what do you think of it?

8 hours ago, KillaKukumba said:

I was actually listening to Grotesqueries - Haunted Mausoleum yesterday (about 28 hours ago) so I got one BM album without your input :)

Oh well tomorrow is another day, lets see what you come up before I come back tomorrow morning.

Except that was death metal you silly cucumber. I think your chainsaw must have vibrated your brain too much. I saw you had a Morbid Angel album on one of your yearly lists, and you say you don't like black metal so you must know the difference and be able to tell them apart, right?

7 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

100% with you, black and doom metal for me on winter genres, but I don’t really have a taste for death metal in the heat either. When summer rolls around here generally I bust out the power metal and thrash.

From autumn through wintertime (Oct - March) I'm mostly sticking with black metal. Maybe 90% of my listening. In the late spring May/June when it starts to really warm up and the sun is shining I'll listen to a wider variety and I'll also sometimes be open to some stuff that's not even extreme metal. So like trad 80's metal on occasion or some type of hard rock music, could be southern rock, punk rock, stoner rock. Just not 'classic' rock. By summertime for some reason when it gets hot I'm mostly wanting gnarly ripping death metal and crust. There is never a right season for prog or power metal. 

3 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Except that was death metal you silly cucumber. I think your chainsaw must have vibrated your brain too much. I saw you had a Morbid Angel album on one of your yearly lists, and you say you don't like black metal so you must know the difference and be able to tell them apart, right?

NO fucking idea to be honest. I've never understood (never wanted to understand) all the genre and the sub genres. As I said in yesterdays post if what I was listening too wasn't BM then it was your fault because I just listened to what you posted and you post BM. I genuinely don't give a shit about names, titles, groups, and genres, I listen to what I like. If I was given a list of 10 bands and asked to name their genre I'd probably get more than half of them wrong because I just don't care, but that doesn't mean I don't like the band or wont listen to them.

NP: Cosmic Psychos - Oh What A Lovely Pie

4 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

If you catch them on a good day, they can really deliver. They were pretty bad the first time I saw them (on tour for this album, coincidentally), but they seemed to more or less get their legs under them after that. TGCD is one of my favorite albums of theirs but I get the impression I'm in the minority... what do you think of it?

I like it well enough. I've never been a huge Katatonia fan, but this has always been my go to album for them. May have been the first thing I heard by them, and I'm usually partial to those albums. It's a "laid back" choice for me that hits the spot once in a while. I do like Brave Murder Day and enjoyed The Fall of Hearts a few times as well. Outside of that, I can't say I've heard anything else by them.

1 hour ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Phrenelith - Desolate Endscape, Denmark 2017

Necroblood - Collapse of the Human Race, France 2017

2017 was such a banging year

On 8/9/2022 at 7:27 AM, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Agrimonia - Rites of Separation, 2013, yes now this 2nd album definitely has the sludge and post metal coming more into the forefront and I think they've obtained a good mix where all 3 genres are blended together more evenly, whereas the earlier stuff was more crust forward. This is possibly their best album. I've listened to the 3rd album already and it's slightly more 'posty' than this one. But in a good way, not all long and drawn out and boring like that CoL bullshit. This meanders, but they keep it interesting. I think the sludge and the crust serve to keep the post in check. All 3 Agrimonia full lengths plus the demo very good though. This 5 piece band is made up of 3/4 of the Swedish death metal band Miasmal, one of whom did time in Martyrdod, and Martin Larsson on bass who also plays in At the Gates, and Skitsystem. They also have a female vocalist & keyboardist which I did not even catch until just now after I've already heard all 4 of their releases.

I love Agrimonia. Agnosy is very cool, too. Rites of Separation is great. Awaken was my favorite album from 2018. It felt like a more "evolved" mixture of styles. Somewhat surprised you like Agrimonia in their genre mixing, but yeah, love that kind of thing. 

9 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Definitely a good album but they have several that stack up pretty high for me-Viva Emptiness, Last Fair Deal Gone Down.

29 minutes ago, markm said:

Definitely a good album but they have several that stack up pretty high for me-Viva Emptiness, Last Fair Deal Gone Down.

I'm a big fan. I haven't gotten into their latest one but I can play all of their others pretty much whenever. I guess my favorites are Tonight's Decision, Last Fair Deal Gone Down, The Great Cold Distance, and The Fall Of Hearts. I see the old stuff with harsh vocals as mostly separate and l love that as well.

They also have the advantages of sounding great in my car and appealing to my wife, neither of which are entirely insignificant.

20 minutes ago, SurgicalBrute said:

I think Tara is the only Absu album I own, but never really clicked with me all that much. Maybe I'll get back around to it someday and give it another go.

ChaosMancer - Procreation of the Unholy

(South American death metal has really been hitting just right the last few weeks)

I'm almost positive I bought Absu's self titled in 2009 but I don't see it in my music folder so I must have deleted it. I thought Tara was pretty good just a little while ago but I'm not rushing to go pick it up. 

That Choasmancer though is one of the best things I've picked up all summer.

To cross threads your 2003 list hit me with 3 bands I've never heard of before and 4 albums that I've never heard so that oughta keep me busy for a little bit. 

Nocternity - Onyx Greece 2003, 4 minutes in and I already know this is gonna be killer.