What Are You Listening To?

khaos

Welcome back Navy! An eclectic list of stuff with very little overlap with what I have been listening to. All good.

PANZERFAUST - The Sons of Perdition etc. It's still mellow, but that doesn't mean I don't like it.

SCARCITY - Aveilut

MONODRONE...Lots of albums, all NYPOK, so it's kind of embarrassing to admit I like something that calls itself 'barber beats', but this is good chillin' music. Kind of jazz without the wankery, maybe.

31 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Welcome back Navy! An eclectic list of stuff with very little overlap with what I have been listening to. All good.

PANZERFAUST - The Sons of Perdition etc. It's still mellow, but that doesn't mean I don't like it.

SCARCITY - Aveilut

MONODRONE...Lots of albums, all NYPOK, so it's kind of embarrassing to admit I like something that calls itself 'barber beats', but this is good chillin' music. Kind of jazz without the wankery, maybe.

Monodrone - Forbidden Fruit, barber beats eh? I always thought rap music might be good if they'd shut up and let me hear the music. This sounds like it's likely sampled, as opposed to an actual band playing their music but I could be wrong, there could be someone playing solos over the beat samples. Either way it still sounds pretty cool. Modern urban jazz. Sounds like it could be just the thing for getting Mrs. Thatguy in the mood for a little romance *nudge nudge* and with the kids all moved out you don't even have to wait til after you've tucked them into bed. You could even throw caution to the wind and try to catch her before she starts making dinner.

EDIT: monodrone just takes samples from other artists without their permission and changes them (basically just slowing) then uploads as if it is his album. It's called Plunderphonics. 

4 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

EDIT: monodrone just takes samples from other artists without their permission and changes them (basically just slowing) then uploads as if it is his album. It's called Plunderphonics. 

I know the music is stolen and re-worked, and I know I shouldn't encourage this, but the stuff is just so chill...and there is so much of it. Currently chilling to OSCOB - Praise The Sun God. Band name, album title and album art all 'ironically' made to resemble a metal album, but not the music. Very witty I guess.

Regrettably Mrs Thatguy is 1400km away in Hobart looking after her mum post a knee replacement.

2 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Angelcorpse - The Inexorable

from not having enough albums for 1999 to having 50 I need to narrow down… Not sure whether I should be thanking or cursing GG, and Surj…

You should be on your knees kissing our....nah just kidding Blivvie, I'm always glad to help spread the metal around. And glad to help jog your memory as to which of these many fine albums were released in 1999. Even if I had a misplaced 2000 record on my '99 list which you so astutely caught. You probably liked all of Surge's choices better anyway.

Looking forward to getting into the 2000's where a lot more of my personal favorites will start coming. Not sure why you guys are all so uptight about following the rule of only 10, if there are 15 or 20 albums I love from a given year I'm gonna list them all. 10 was just a suggestion. Exclusion gains us nothing imo. I don't bother making these distinctions from which ones are on the actual list to which are only honorable mentions. I figure I have a number one, or maybe a top 2 or 3 each year and then all the rest of them are basically honorable mentions.

Megadeth: the story behind Rust In Peace | Louder

I've started a bunch of different albums since Alastor and none of them struck me as what I wanted to listen to so I aborted. Some random new atmo-black album, Mayhem's GDoW, Deftones, Slayer SitA, finally Put Rust in Peace on which is something I never do and I'm now a bit past halfway through.

What an overblown, overrated piece of crap this record is. So far the only good songs have been Hangar 18, Lucretia and Tornado which just finished. Now Dawn Patrol is a total dud and the only good one I have to look forward to is Polaris. That's only 4 good songs! The rest has been a bunch of absolute rubbish.

I liked this album back in the day but never as much as Peace Sells or the debut or even SFSGSW. But I do remember liking it and I definitely remember it being a lot better than this. Fucking Symphony was better than this shit. I guess you really can't go home again. 

3 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Not sure why you guys are all so uptight about following the rule of only 10, if there are 15 or 20 albums I love from a given year I'm gonna list them all. 10 was just a suggestion. Exclusion gains us nothing imo. I don't bother making these distinctions from which ones are on the actual list to which are only honorable mentions. I figure I have a number one, or maybe a top 2 or 3 each year and then all the rest of them are basically honorable mentions.

Mostly because it's easy to just throw out a list of every album I like in a single year, there's no real thought to it..."X album came out in Y year?...oh, okay...put it on my list"

...plus, it allows for a lot more variety between people's lists. Personal pet peeve, but I hate doubling up too much with other people. The fun of reading lists isn't just to read a list. I like seeing the differences in people's taste

14 minutes ago, SurgicalBrute said:

Mostly because it's easy to just throw out a list of every album I like in a single year, there's no real thought to it..."X album came out in Y year?...oh, okay...put it on my list"

...plus, it allows for a lot more variety between people's lists. Personal pet peeve, but I hate doubling up too much with other people. The fun of reading lists isn't just to read a list. I like seeing the differences in people's taste

So does that mean you'll alter your list to avoid albums that have already appeared on someone else's list, even if you like them as much or more than others on your list? I figure the lists are gonna have enough variety just naturally, but a few duplicates won't hurt anything. I find it's also nice to see the albums we all have in common as much as it's fun to see the differences. Honestly, the fact that I can post a list of 18 or 20 albums for a given year and then see that I have only 2 or 3 total matches with you and Blivvie and Serpentboi combined is quite amazing to me. And I don't just list everything I like from a given year, I put thought into it and leave stuff off. Your lists typically have a bunch of albums I considered and then left off for others I liked more. 

Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited

58 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

So does that mean you'll alter your list to avoid albums that have already appeared on someone else's list, even if you like them as much or more than others on your list? I figure the lists are gonna have enough variety just naturally, but a few duplicates won't hurt anything. I find it's also nice to see the albums we all have in common as much as it's fun to see the differences. Honestly, the fact that I can post a list of 18 or 20 albums for a given year and then see that I have only 2 or 3 total matches with you and Blivvie and Serpentboi combined is quite amazing to me. And I don't just list everything I like from a given year, I put thought into it and leave stuff off. Your lists typically have a bunch of albums I considered and then left off for others I liked more. 

I don't necessarily go out of my way to not add an album, particularly if it's one I consider an automatic inclusion, but when it gets down to the point where I have to start making cuts between albums I enjoy equally, I may take that into consideration on a list like this. If it was merely a list of all the albums I liked best for a given year, it wouldn't be a factor.

As for the lack of matches, when you post 18 to 20 albums and everyone else posts 10, that's not all that surprising. If everyone starts adding 18 or 20 albums to their lists, the odds that people start to overlap increase quite a bit. The simple fact you and I are weighing many of the same albums is proof of that.

Now, does it hurt anything...of course not, but neither does limiting your list to 10 albums. It's not like anyone is going to think less of you if you don't include "album x" on your list. It's meant to be a game, and games have rules, so I think most of us are just going along with it.

20 minutes ago, SurgicalBrute said:

I don't necessarily go out of my way to not add an album, particularly if it's one I consider an automatic inclusion, but when it gets down to the point where I have to start making cuts between albums I enjoy equally, I may take that into consideration on a list like this. If it was merely a list of all the albums I liked best for a given year, it wouldn't be a factor.

As for the lack of matches, when you post 18 to 20 albums and everyone else posts 10, that's not all that surprising. If everyone starts adding 18 or 20 albums to their lists, the odds that people start to overlap increase quite a bit. The simple fact you and I are weighing many of the same albums is proof of that.

Now, does it hurt anything...of course not, but neither does limiting your list to 10 albums. It's not like anyone is going to think less of you if you don't include "album x" on your list. It's meant to be a game, and games have rules, so I think most of us are just going along with it.

Yeah well, I've never been a big fan of arbitrary rules. And of course limiting my list to just 10 would hurt me Surge, at least in years when there are more than 10 albums that I have deemed list worthy. That's why I don't do it. I have been trying to keep the lists as small as I can within reason without leaving anything important off. If I have 150 or 200 albums (when we get to the 2010's it'll be more like 300+) from a given year and I really love even just 10% of them, then 10 is too restrictive for me. And if I were forced to stick to just 10 then it wouldn't be fun for me anymore. But I do try to very loosley rank my lists in descending order of quality with the best album at the top so you can just read my first 10 entries if you like. Consider the rest honorable mentions or whatever makes you happy. I just generally find it so difficult to rank albums though, I end up switching things back and forth all day and driving myself crazy in the process. And that's no fun.

Most years have a handful of what I'd consider to be truly great albums. This could be 2 or 3, could be 5, could be 8. And then usally there are a bunch of really good ones. That bunch of really good ones could be 10 or it could be 25 or it could be 40. Depends on the year. And then there are always a lot of just ok to so-so ones that aren't even under list consideration. Once I have all my great and really good albums selected, I'll make a few quick & easy cuts but then I have trouble just randomly kicking off albums that are all of a similar quality to ones that I'm keeping. I've posted some of those lists with like 14 albums, and I'm not trying to be a dick by leaving those extra 4 albums on there, I just can't separate which 4 deserve to be discarded so I say fuck it and keep them all. But I have discarded lots of albums when I've decided they weren't quite up to the quality of the rest of them. All those finished lists you see started out a bit bigger. 

But I suppose everyone has a different idea of what 'top' or 'best' means to them and what method they wanna use to make their lists and that's cool man. I haven't been approaching these anual lists we've been making as a game, I take my list making more seriously than that. I save these lists and will be referring back to them in the future. It's like my own personal metal archives. I'm not saying everybody needs to do it my way, obviously you're all free to approach it whichever way makes the most sense to you. But it's not like anyone is going to think any less of you if you include 12 albums on your list one year because those last 2 just didn't deserve to be chopped. Unless they're a dickhead. 

38 minutes ago, MarkhantonioYeatts said:

SACCAGE - Charogne

SACCAGE - Vorace

I have the Saccage debut, Death Crust Satanique from 2012 and it's good. But I hadn't realized they'd put all these other albums and EP's out since then. This latest one Charogne totally destroys, it's straight fire as you would say. Catching up now on all the ones I've missed.

Saccage - Khaos Mortem, Quebec 2019

Saccage - Récidive, Quebec 2017

7 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

You should be on your knees kissing our....nah just kidding Blivvie, I'm always glad to help spread the metal around. And glad to help jog your memory as to which of these many fine albums were released in 1999. Even if I had a misplaced 2000 record on my '99 list which you so astutely caught. You probably liked all of Surge's choices better anyway.

Looking forward to getting into the 2000's where a lot more of my personal favorites will start coming. Not sure why you guys are all so uptight about following the rule of only 10, if there are 15 or 20 albums I love from a given year I'm gonna list them all. 10 was just a suggestion. Exclusion gains us nothing imo. I don't bother making these distinctions from which ones are on the actual list to which are only honorable mentions. I figure I have a number one, or maybe a top 2 or 3 each year and then all the rest of them are basically honorable mentions.

I view it as a challenge, can I nail down ten albums from a year that I enjoy enough to make a list. The 2000s will be interesting in that regard, I feel like each year I have three or four albums I’d be really happy with, at least up until around 2016 that my collection pretty much just stops

Agent Steel - Omega Conspiracy

Probably not making the list, but it’s a fun little speed metal album nonetheless.

12 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I have the Saccage debut, Death Crust Satanique from 2012 and it's good. But I hadn't realized they'd put all these other albums and EP's out since then. This latest one Charogne totally destroys, it's straight fire as you would say. Catching up now on all the ones I've missed.

Saccage - Khaos Mortem, Quebec 2019

Saccage - Récidive, Quebec 2017

....WhiteNoise....they also have a demo that is really good as well as a few splits with some other very good bands.....they're one of my favourite Canadian bands going right now...and that says a lot because Canada is loaded with top notch bands making BM and DM....

SKITKIDS - Besoket Vid Krubban

....these guys aren't Canadian but they are gnarly as fuck.....

2 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Yeah well, I've never been a big fan of arbitrary rules. And of course limiting my list to just 10 would hurt me Surge, at least in years when there are more than 10 albums that I have deemed list worthy. That's why I don't do it. I have been trying to keep the lists as small as I can within reason without leaving anything important off. If I have 150 or 200 albums (when we get to the 2010's it'll be more like 300+) from a given year and I really love even just 10% of them, then 10 is too restrictive for me.

Why though? I don't think anyone here expects that those 10 albums are the only albums you like from a given year, or even that they're the only 10 you consider your favorites from that year, so I guess I wonder why the idea of not having every favorite would bother you so much? I mean, I think most of us start with big lists too, and I know I have a hard time choosing between one album or another at a certain level, but at the end of the day it's just a list on a message board. So if albums 9 and 10 are on the same level as albums 11 - 14, why does it matter which two make the list and which 4 get cut off? At that point they're essentially interchangeable, and you, presumably, know what your whole list of albums is already. So, outside of the rest of us just not seeing them, what changes for you personally if you were to only post 10 of those albums?

3 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

. I haven't been approaching these anual lists we've been making as a game, I take my list making more seriously than that. I save these lists and will be referring back to them in the future. It's like my own personal metal archives. I'm not saying everybody needs to do it my way, obviously you're all free to approach it whichever way makes the most sense to you. But it's not like anyone is going to think any less of you if you include 12 albums on your list one year because those last 2 just didn't deserve to be chopped. Unless they're a dickhead. 

I know you've said this before, and that's fine...no one's saying you shouldn't, but if the point is to keep a record for your own use, wouldn't it be much easier to just use a spreadsheet, or a website like RYM which is specifically for that kind of thing? I mean, you must have so many arbitrary lists floating around now, it's got to be a pain in the ass to remember which threads you dropped them in. I'm not saying this because I have an issue with it. I've known you long enough to know that the only way you could make a list of 10 is if everyone else agreed that the limit was 5, so I wasn't exactly doing a shocked pikachu face when you listed extra, but you were asking why the rest of us were trying to stick with just 10 albums. For me, the answer is because that was the point of the thread.

Mortuary Drape - Tolling 13 Knell

Pagan Hellfire - A Voice from Centuries Away

TERRORHAMMER - Under The Unholy Command

TERRORHAMMER - Vintage Black Mass

VARIOUS ARTISTS - Get Back The Discharged Arrow

....I forgot just how great this compilation was...I remember finding this at HMV, of all places.....not my usual record store location, that's for sure....I tried to spend as little time on the Upper East Side as possible....except for maybe the occasional 25 cent Bass Ale Thursdays at Mumbles.....