What Are You Listening To?

khaos

22 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Social Distortion - White Light, White Heat, White Trash, 1996, just played this 4 times in a row while I was doing some staining. Now it's 10:48 I'm having a meat loaf sandwich for dinner and I'm playing it a 5th time.

Hey, I've got that album myself. But FUCKING MEATLOAF SANdWICH? Barf city. Call me triggered, but Meatloaf other than liver is my least favorite food like fucking forever. Absolutely abysmal. A hunk of ground beef and catsup. Other than maybe spam which I've never had, meatloaf is completely sheer-heart-attach-on-a-plate wretched. Social D are good, however. Carry on. 

FLAG IIII - Live from Irving Plaza NYC Sept 2013, "reunion" featuring various ex-members of Black Flag. I believe Greg Ginn owns the name "Black Flag" so they played some shows billed as just "Flag" but at least they did win the right to use the iconic 4 bars symbol. Why they only got to play a 15 minute set is beyond me.

Black Flag - Damaged 1981, I've never been able to decide on a favorite BF album as they all sound so different.

1 hour ago, markm said:

Hey, I've got that album myself. But FUCKING MEATLOAF SANdWICH? Barf city. Call me triggered, but Meatloaf other than liver is my least favorite food like fucking forever. Absolutely abysmal. A hunk of ground beef and catsup. Other than maybe spam which I've never had, meatloaf is completely sheer-heart-attach-on-a-plate wretched. Social D are good, however. Carry on. 

Yes, I love Social D more than any punk band not called the Ramones. I played all their albums today (except their most recent one "Hard Times and Nursury Rhymes" from 2011 which I don't have) and probably played White Hot about 15 times between yesterday, last night and today. Got it out of my system finally, now I've moved onto some other punk rock bands.

Let me just say for the record that there was no ketchup involved in the making of my meatloaf sandwich that I'd purchased from the deli earlier in the day. I am of the opinion that no meat products will ever benefit by putting ketchup on them. But in addition to the meatloaf on my sandwich there was: mozzerella cheese, brown gravy, sliced tomato, onions and spinach leaves. (I don't get lettuce on my deli sandwiches, I generally bring them home and put spinach leaves on them) I wouldn't be eating so many sandwiches but I still don't have my new gas line run all the way to the stove so I've been eating a lot of take out.

Tonight we had fish & chips because the kid loves it. Tried to get some pulled pork sammies for tomorrow as well, but they were already sold out of the pp by 3pm. Tomorrow I'm thinking of taking a run up to Middletown NY for Chipotle. I don't generally eat "fast food" but Chipotle is the lone exception even though it's 30 minutes each way to get there and 20 minutes standing on line to get the food. The kid loves burritos probably even more than fish & chips, so since he can only eat a half of one of their giant burritos at a siingle sitting I can get him dinner for 2 days with a single Chipotle run, and a bowl for myself for only $20. I do really miss cooking actual food though, so once I get my gas line sorted I'll probably go back to take out once a week or so.

Zeke - Death Alley

Zeke - Hellbender

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

KRALLICE - Psychagogue. Are you worthy?

NP - KING BUFFALO - Acheron. Thanks Jono. I haven't come across these guys before. Probably will get roasted for saying it, but they put me in mind of Porcupine Tree, but in a good way.

Bin worthy is more like it. 

WIll have to check out this King Buffalo. Had it in my head that they were a stoner/doom band from the name I guess, would this assumption be erroneous and incorrect?

King Buffalo - Acheron, 2021. Alright so these dudes do operate in the "stoner" arena but they're more proggy spaced out psychedelic stoner and not at all in the sludge/doom direction. Not familiar enough with Porcupine Tree to even make any basic comparisons, but I'll say this is not terrible. Still, midway through the second track here I've heard enough to know they're definitely not for me.

Cress - The Greed Machine and the Money Tree, UK Anarcho-punk, this is more my speed

17 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

midway through the second track here I've heard enough to know they're definitely not for me.

I'm a slow learner. I listened to the whole album before deciding  - in the childhood words of my daughter when she was presented with new food. "I like it, but I don't want it.'

2 hours ago, Thatguy said:

I'm a slow learner. I listened to the whole album before deciding  - in the childhood words of my daughter when she was presented with new food. "I like it, but I don't want it.'

Well the full album was 4 tracks clocking in at 40 minutes, so 'midway through the second track' worked out to about 16 minutes in. Now if I'm enjoying something I'll generally listen to the whole thing at least once or twice through to see if I might want to own it. Unless it's one of those instant purchase deals like a new Archgoat album or something. But if something is clearly not for me it doesn't usually take me 40 minutes to figure that out. Just like I wouldn't have to chew on vegemite toast for 40 fucking minutes to know it belongs in the bin. But that King Buffalo album would definitely fall into the "I like it, but I don't want it" category. It was not terrible by any means, it had some appeal and I get why someone could be into it. But after 16 minutes I knew I'd never want to hear those awful vocals ever again so I clicked out. Bad vox ruin so many otherwise reasonably acceptable albums for me. Unless they're so bad that they're good which is another category altogether. 

NP:

Aposento - Bleed to Death, 2017 Spanish death. Forgot how good this was.

10 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Al Di Meola - Elegant Gypsy 

Al Di Meola - Land of the Midnight Sun

As a child of the 60's & 70's I'm of course familiar with the name Al Di Meola. But I've never actually bothered to sit down and check out any of his music until now. (shocking, right?) I'm glad I finally did tonight though. Normally I hear phrases like progressive rock or classical/jazz guitarist and my eyes glaze over. But I've gotta say, this is some really good shit. I appreciate a virtuoso guitarist who keeps it interesting and accessible to low-brow dumbasses like me. And the bass player on this Gypsy album is absolutely killing it. Not sure if I'll be looking to buy this, but I'll definitely be back to give it another go sometime. Skipped track 2 because it was boring me, but tracks 1, 3 & 4 were killer. Getting some bigtime Zappa vibes from the title track, but that could just be the use of all that typically 70's instrumentation they must have had in common like the keyboards and percussion and stuff. Anyway good call on the Al Di Meola. Now I guess I'll be heading back to my previously scheduled extreme metal.

Perdition Temple - Merciless Upheaval, Tampa Florida