What Are You Listening To?

khaos

Krypt - Preludes to Death, Norway 2008

Avsky - Scorn, Sweden 2010

4 minutes ago, Dead1 said:

Damage Done was a return to form.  Then they repeated Damage Done for 3 more albums and then went goth rock.  

Dismember - Indecent & Obscene - Dawns to me I haven't actually listened to this one in 15 odd years.

Damage Done was actually the first DT album I ever heard when it came out. It hooked me and that's actually where I got my old name Whitenoise (BlackSilence)

1 hour ago, Dead1 said:

Swallow the Sun - The Morning Never Came

Never listened to these guys cause I expected them to be emo-ish with that name.  But the Goatmaster recommended their first three which has piqued my curiosity.

You won't like them man. I've never seen you post anything this slow. They're not "emo" but they're the self-proclaimed Lords of Pussy Doom. I actually read that line on their website years ago and it made me chuckle. I generally like my death/doom (as well as all the other genres) a bit harder than this, not that I listen to a lot of doom because I tend to get bored with the slow pace. But occasionally Satan will give me a day off and I'll find myself in the mood either for this or for some Draconian, two doom bands I used to listen to a lot more of 10 - 15 years ago. I'm a sucker for Lisa's mezzo soprano.

Draconian - Turning Season Within

6 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

I’ve always preferred my death/doom with a little less melody than Draconian or Swallow the Sun bring, strange because I prefer my funeral doom on the more melodic side.

I generally eschew the excessive melody too, especially if most of the melody is vocal. But still there is a time and a place for melody and sometimes I do enjoy those bands although it's not very often that I find myself really wanting that. 

I've given up on funeral doom though. I used to be on a forum years ago in the '00's with your old pal Blut Aus Nerd and also we had the dude behind Reclusiam as a regular. He was a massive funeral doom fan and that was really my first exposure to the sub-genre. He gave us a lot of recos for all kinds of doom and funeral doom bands. I bought a bunch of CD's.

Tried hard for years to get into some of that stuff and finally I had to admit to myself that I'm really not a doom guy, and definitely not a funeral doom guy because painfully slow music just bores me. I can't stay engaged, my mind wanders. Evoken was the only one of those "slowcore" bands that have stuck with me all these years, and that's because they're so bleedin' heavy. They're really equal parts death metal and funeral doom. And of course they're from right here in New Jersey. I've seen them live and they absolutely crushed. But I've long since deleted all of those other funeral doom bands and moved on. 

Speaking of excessive melody,  I've been picking up a bunch of stuff I grew up with...Kiss, Queen, Scorpions, Ramones, Motorhead and glam-Def Leppard, Twisted Sister, Ratt.... In honor of misspent days gone by, and a 22 remastering....decided to grab a couple of old Crue albums I used to enjoy... 

Motley Crue/Girls, Girls, Girls

Motley Crue/Dr. Feelgood 

Cringe if you must!

1 hour ago, markm said:

Speaking of excessive melody,  I've been picking up a bunch of stuff I grew up with...Kiss, Queen, Scorpions, Ramones, Motorhead and glam-Def Leppard, Twisted Sister, Ratt.... In honor of misspent days gone by, and a 22 remastering....decided to grab a couple of old Crue albums I used to enjoy... 

Motley Crue/Dr. Feelgood 

Cringe if you must!

I think most of us of a certain age had a couple of Crue albums back in the day. I had the first two from '81 & '83 but I never followed them beyond that, I lost interest once thrash came along. They had a pretty thumping bottom end though for a glam band, I never really fully lumped them in with all those other glam bands that I never had any interest in like the Ratts and the Dokkens and the Skid Rows and the Warrants and the Twisted Sisters of the world, even despite all the standard trappings like the makeup and hairspray and spandex 'n shit. So they've been out of my rotation for a good long time now, but I wouldn't say they're cringe worthy. Although I've never actually heard any of those later albums (meaning anything post SatD) I only know the radio singles and they sucked. But as long as you like them Marky Mark, that's all that matters.

Mythos (Finland) - Moulded in Clay (Demo) 1993

Abhorrence (Finland) - Completely Vulgar , compilation 1990-1991

4 hours ago, markm said:

Motley Crue/Dr. Feelgood 

Cringe if you must!

Great stuff. 

8 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I generally eschew the excessive melody too, especially if most of the melody is vocal. But still there is a time and a place for melody and sometimes I do enjoy those bands although it's not very often that I find myself really wanting that. 

I've given up on funeral doom though. I used to be on a forum years ago in the '00's with your old pal Blut Aus Nerd and also we had the dude behind Reclusiam as a regular. He was a massive funeral doom fan and that was really my first exposure to the sub-genre. He gave us a lot of recos for all kinds of doom and funeral doom bands. I bought a bunch of CD's.

Tried hard for years to get into some of that stuff and finally I had to admit to myself that I'm really not a doom guy, and definitely not a funeral doom guy because painfully slow music just bores me. I can't stay engaged, my mind wanders. Evoken was the only one of those "slowcore" bands that have stuck with me all these years, and that's because they're so bleedin' heavy. They're really equal parts death metal and funeral doom. And of course they're from right here in New Jersey. I've seen them live and they absolutely crushed. But I've long since deleted all of those other funeral doom bands and moved on. 

Well funeral doom isn’t for everyone, even I have to be in the right mood to get anything out of it, you’re right about Evoken Though, kind of jealous you’ve seen them live actually.

though, kind of jealous you’ve seen them live actually.

NP: Solitude Aeturnus - Beyond the Crimson Horizon

Speaking of doom, trad. Doom at its finest, yet to hear and album from these guys I don’t enjoy

13 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I think most of us of a certain age had a couple of Crue albums back in the day. I had the first two from '81 & '83 but I never followed them beyond that, I lost interest once thrash came along. They had a pretty thumping bottom end though for a glam band, I never really fully lumped them in with all those other glam bands that I never had any interest in like the Ratts and the Dokkens and the Skid Rows and the Warrants and the Twisted Sisters of the world, even despite all the standard trappings like the makeup and hairspray and spandex 'n shit. So they've been out of my rotation for a good long time now, but I wouldn't say they're cringe worthy. Although I've never actually heard any of those later albums (meaning anything post SatD) I only know the radio singles and they sucked. But as long as you like them Marky Mark, that's all that matters.

Yeah, their first album should have been Too Fast For Love, never owned that one, but have heard it over the years-a nice rougher production and more of a punk edge at least in attitude. I can see why you liked that one. Number 2-Shout at the Devil is probably my favorite "hair metal" or whatever we're calling this basically slick hard rock style of the early 80's. It's metal to me. After that was Girls, Girls, Girls which now that I listen to it, is front loaded and not as strong as I remembered. I had that one and I also had Dr. Feelgood which all things considered after Shout their strongest effort for a super slick pop metal album. I haven't heard the other ones and I think they went into more pop directions-with miserable tracks like Home Sweet Home and they did rock and roll covers which I never liked except for Helter Skelter. But their versions of Smokin' in the Boys Room and Jailhouse Rock were filler. 

14 hours ago, KillaKukumba said:

I don't know that I'd go as far as grabbing new copies of those albums but I still listen to bands like Motley Crue occasionally.

NP: Municipal Waste - Electrified Brain

Yeah, I've slowly picked up classic rock, hard rock, 80's stuff, etc. that I hade on vinyl in the day or CDs that have been lost, eaten or otherwise destroyed to add to a sort of Mark digital essentials library that I generally listen as a huge playlist of everything that's not extreme metal.....from Mood Blues to Motley Crue if you will.