What Are You Listening To?

khaos

21 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

Never liked D666. There is people in this country, on other forums, who consider it a national travesty for an Aussie not to like them, but I've just never found the appeal

To each their own mate, they’re definitely Aussie bands I like more but the first couple of D666 albums in particular have always appealed to me.

So no single member projects, no black metal and no black/thrash? What do you like? Those restrictions would cancel out at least half of my collection. D-666 is definitely one of my top 50 bands of all time. But I couldn't give a flying fuck who else does or doesn't like them, to each his own. 

Not sure I truly understand why it would matter what country a band is from when it comes to liking various bands and genres. Don't we all just like what we like and dislike what we don't like? I don't try harder to like American bands or give them extra credit just because I'm an American, I just go by how the music hits me. I hate tons of US bands. Is it one of those things that only applies when you're from a smaller country? I've noticed over the years many Canadians tend to be very pro Canadian bands.

6 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

So no single member projects, no black metal and no black/thrash? What do you like? Those restrictions would cancel out at least half of my collection. D-666 is definitely one of my top 50 bands of all time. But I couldn't give a flying fuck who else does or doesn't like them, to each his own. 

Not sure I truly understand why it would matter what country a band is from when it comes to liking various bands and genres. Don't we all just like what we like and dislike what we don't like? I don't try harder to like American bands or give them extra credit just because I'm an American, I just go by how the music hits me. I hate tons of US bands. Is it one of those things that only applies when you're from a smaller country? I've noticed over the years many Canadians tend to be very pro Canadian bands.

You've once again assumed way too much. The single person projects was a one off for a specific task and when you could see the list which contained those one person projects you'd understand why I had to take them off the list. I've also never said I don't listen to anything black, I may not post as much black stuff as others but I've certainly posted it.

Some Aussie forums are very patriotic and that patriotism extends to music. D666, Ne Obliviscaris and Be'lakor have very loyal fans here and in some circles it is very frowned upon to be a local and not like them and not support them. Ne O did however loose quite a bit of their fan base back in about 06 when they started a GoFundMe campaign titled "help us retire from work and tour the world" (or something close to that). It upset many loyal fans, not sure how many of those people went back to the band after their rage eased but it didn't go down well at the time.

I do agree the geographical location a band comes from shouldn’t influence whether you like them or not, and it’s not like Australian bands share much in terms of sonic similarity, definitely not in the same way that you could categorise the Bay Area thrash, Norwegian black metal, or Swedish death metal scenes. That being said I do think our metal scene is somewhat overlooked on the global stage.

Norwegian black metal, or Swedish death metal scenes. That being said I do think our metal scene is somewhat overlooked on the global stage.

Anyway as for what I’m listening to: Bethlehem - Bethlehem

6 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

You've once again assumed way too much. The single person projects was a one off for a specific task and when you could see the list which contained those one person projects you'd understand why I had to take them off the list. I've also never said I don't listen to anything black, I may not post as much black stuff as others but I've certainly posted it.

Some Aussie forums are very patriotic and that patriotism extends to music. D666, Ne Obliviscaris and Be'lakor have very loyal fans here and in some circles it is very frowned upon to be a local and not like them and not support them. Ne O did however loose quite a bit of their fan base back in about 06 when they started a GoFundMe campaign titled "help us retire from work and tour the world" (or something close to that). It upset many loyal fans, not sure how many of those people went back to the band after their rage eased but it didn't go down well at the time.

Was just a piss take Kukey, please don't take everything I type literally. I'm sure you remember we've had some back and forth in the past you and I about black metal and it's fans sucking which I took to be all in good fun and so my "What do you like?" was meant in that same humorous spirit. It just struck me funny the other day when you said something to the effect of "I'm not listening to any single person projects" so I was just riffing on that. I believe comedians call that a callback. I'm sure I'm not nearly as funny as I like to think I am.

Fact is I have no idea what all you be listening to down under there Kukey Wukey, only what I've seen you post for us. I know I listen to a wider variety of stuff than just what gets posted here on the board and I assume we all do too.

Looks like I've failed patriotism 101 and have negelected to support many hard working American bands. If word gets out they'll probably deport me to Finland or Norway or somewhere up that way. I'd probably find it easier to support most of those Borealic bands.

Also take into account that for many of us our metal scene was what we regularly got to see and it was natural to have an affiliation towards that scene. It doesn't necessarily mean that we like every band from here, it doesn't even mean we like local bands more than international bands but loyalty for some people is a big thing. Some people are loyal to a genre and can't help but bite when some one puts that genre down, others are loyal to specific bands.

But above and beyond anything most of the loyalty and devotion to our local scene which I was referencing is just conversations on a forum. Forums these days don't have the same conversation factor as they once did, but some of the forums I used to be a part of could have 1000 posts a day, some even more. We had to talk about something and inevitably that conversation would eventually come down to likes and dislikes, ratings and rantings, and the looking down on those who don't always agree with the masses.

3 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Was just a piss take Kukey, please don't take everything I type literally.

That's fair, but I did realise the other day when I made that comment about one man bands it did sound a bit wanky. Kind of like I was omitting them simply because one man can't do as good of a job as two or more. Or that one man black metal projects (which they mostly were) were below me.

I guess because there are so many more of us Americans and therefore so many more American bands we do the patriotism thing a bit differently here. We do it more on a regional scale where it becomes east coast vs west coast bands or whatever. Back in the 80's I would always have been more likely to support NY and northeast US thrash and punk bands over their contemporary bands from the other parts of the country. Of course I've grown up since then (a little bit anyway) and no longer think about bands in those terms. Also so much of what I've been listening to over the last 2 decades is European in origin that the whole Overkill is better than Megadeth thing circa 1987 now really seems like it took place in another lifetime that I've since moved on from.

The benefit of being a 90s kid, never really had to deal with those arguments based on region or seen or whatever, I know it’s not all fun and games the arguments I ended up having with my mates at school seemed to revolve around metal versus Metalcore. I like to think I won that argument since the friends I had who listened to Metalcore and out devotees of whatever radio friendly pop nonsense is getting attention these days. Those of us who pledged our allegiance to the metal however still salute with the sign of the horns… 

I checked out that new Stellar Tomb demo and it just made me wanna listen to Inquisition, and now I can't stop....

Invoking The Majestic Throne of Satan

Magnificent Glorification of Lucifer 

Ominous Doctrines of the Perpetual Mystical Macrocosm 

Nefarious Dismal Orations 

14 hours ago, zackflag said:

I checked out that new Stellar Tomb demo and it just made me wanna listen to Inquisition, and now I can't stop....

Invoking The Majestic Throne of Satan

Magnificent Glorification of Lucifer 

Ominous Doctrines of the Perpetual Mystical Macrocosm 

Nefarious Dismal Orations 

I just did an Inquisition run through all their albums the other day as well after hearing that Stellar Tomb. Some of them got played twice, took up most of the day.

Today has been Monster Magnet all day so far.

10 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

If only if was always true, then again if I won every argument I was ever involved in my life would be pretty boring I mean who wants to be right all the time?

It is mostly true. How many people do you know who talk about the arguments they've lost? As time goes on we as humans tend to ignore the arguments where we had our arse handed to us on a silver platter and only focus on the ones we think we won. Even many of those we didn't win we like to think we did.

NP Devin Townsend - Punky Bruster

4 hours ago, KillaKukumba said:

It is mostly true. How many people do you know who talk about the arguments they've lost? As time goes on we as humans tend to ignore the arguments where we had our arse handed to us on a silver platter and only focus on the ones we think we won. Even many of those we didn't win we like to think we did.

NP Devin Townsend - Punky Bruster

I guess that makes me the odd one out then, I tend to remember more of the arguments I lost because I view them as opportunities to learn and improve my debating skills. Maybe being involved in team sports for most of mine life plays a part in that, I mean it’s been repeatedly drilled into my head by various coaches the Cliché that you learn more from defeats than you ever do from victory.

It’s been repeatedly drilled into my head by various coaches the cliche that you learn more from defeats than you ever do from victory.

NP: Bethlehem - The 2019 album once again with my phone unable to tell me how it’s spelt I’m not even going to attempt that.

Saidan - Onryō II: Her Spirit Eternal (2022)

Man, this album is such a weird beast. I like it, but..... it's weird. It's like the closest I've heard of someone making an actual competent cross between pop, punk and black metal. It shouldn't work and I shouldn't like it, but it does and I do.